Should we pay tithes to be bless and free?

c.moore

Originally posted by godrulz

Sorry about your negative charismatic experience. These groups include everything from conservative evangelicals to the lunatic fringe. I would not throw the baby out with the bath water, but search Scripture for an understanding of the person and work of the Holy Spirit.

We do not keep the Law in order to be saved. I am merely suggesting that the tithe is a reasonable guideline or starting point for our giving. People who subjectively give what they feel, tend to give a token amount hindering ministry. The stats on believer's level of giving show that most give very little to God (in contrast to the Mormon empire).

This is what I mean , we would like to give but when you are giving a large sum like me 30.000 because of my father will to me, and the church demands that 10% it is hard to do, specially when you know your church waste money and get themselves in big depth because of lack of wisdom.

What should I do here so I can still be bless??

What about the favor of the Lord is that cancelled out also because of the tithes, and what about God Mercy is that also of no effects???:confused:

c.moore

Originally posted by Sozo

I was being honest!

I was a DJ in the night-club scene throughout the "Disco" era, and after I became a Christian it was the best place to find people whom I knew and share what Christ has done for them.

I didn`t know you were a DJ also praise the Lord.

You need to read my testamony on my Revival disco for christians and sinners.
You can also watch me spin online on the web site.

freak was many times our guess and speaker, and even have him live casting out demons , and binding , and loosing.

www.revivaldisco.com

c.moore

My church preaches if a person don`t pay tithes they are a thief and anyone who if caught being a leader or belong to the gospel team who doesn`t pay tithes is not allowed to be in any office or take part in leadership in any way in our church and some don`t even talk to a person who don`t pay tithes or sit at the same table with a tothes thief.

This is what tithes do in some church and mine.

What do you think about this????

cravescheese

Originally posted by c.moore

This is what I mean , we would like to give but when you are giving a large sum like me 30.000 because of my father will to me, and the church demands that 10% it is hard to do, specially when you know your church waste money and get themselves in big depth because of lack of wisdom.

What about the favor of the Lord is that cancelled out also because of the tithes, and what about God Mercy is that also of no effects???:confused:

The money may be a blessing in itself. You can't buy mercy, it is a free gift of God.

I say don't give the church anything, you don't have to. The Lord knows your heart. If you feel you have more than enough to support your family and are out of debt, have savings for an emergency (rainy day), have the kids college fund stocked and have paid off your car, house etc then maybe you have been working really hard and are a good steward and deserve a vacation?

Maybe you were blessed with that money so you could take a cruise around the world? Who knows.

What about your family? A husband takes care of not just his own wife and kids but his whole household. Maybe you have relatives that are struggling? An aunt or uncle who needs some car repairs? A niece or nephew working their way through colllege? Bless them before you bless complete strangers through your church or some para-church ministry.

Pray about it, but don't give it to anyone out of obligation.

If you have yourself and your whole household covered, than I would think about whether God might just want you to enjoy yourself, as in the tithe feast example.

If that doesn't seem right to you, you can invest it and grow the money so you can have more ability to help needy people.

If you want to give some away, I think starting with widows and orphans is a good idea, certainly you will be blessed if you help needy widows and orphans.

cravescheese

My church preaches if a person don`t pay tithes they are a thief and anyone who if caught being a leader or belong to the gospel team who doesn`t pay tithes is not allowed to be in any office or take part in leadership in any way in our church and some don`t even talk to a person who don`t pay tithes or sit at the same table with a tothes thief.

Jesus said that the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil.

It sounds to me like these people love money and are causing all sorts of evil by falsely accusing people of the invented sin of stealing tithes from God.

I would find another church or start my own.

elected4ever

c.moore My church preaches if a person don`t pay tithes they are a thief and anyone who if caught being a leader or belong to the gospel team who doesn`t pay tithes is not allowed to be in any office or take part in leaders
hip in any way in our church and some don`t even talk to a person who don`t pay tithes or sit at the same table with a tithes thief.

e4e ---------- The thief is in the pulpit and those in leadership are facilitators of the theft. It is control by false guilt. You clam to have demons cast out in your church and you cant even discern a thief. Sounds to me like Freak can't discern demons ether. Nothing to brag about in your church.:nono: :kookoo:

Brent2 Do you not have any sense of humor?

It was supposed to be a joke.

e4e ------- I am happy that you were not serious. It was just a poor joke as I have heard that same message from pulpits in a serious fashion as attested to by C-Moore.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cravescheese

Interesting...you didn't deal with any of my points and then proceed to try and claim that I said "unbelievers are supposed to come to church for an evangelistic message".

We were talking about the church needing property. Right? The church building as you are discussing it can be a place to have evangelical outreaches. Or are you saying that it can't.

Anyway you are still missing the mark. The church IS NOT THE BUILDING.

We believers are the church. We can meet anywhere at anytime.

The church primarily did four activities according to the book of acts. Fellowship, Studying the Apostles teaching, Breaking of Bread, and Prayer. And they did this in eachothers homes.
Not in mega churches where they barely knew eachother and had phonyship, but at eachothers house where they could really know eachother and have true fellowship.

How much true fellowship happens in large churches? Not much, which is why even the mega-churches will encourage their members to join home fellowships or mini-churches. It is because it is obvious that if you only attend the services at the church building you can just be a face in the crowd where no one really knows who you are.

Sure, you turn around and shake hands and smile when the preacher asks you to, but no one really knows eachother. Hanging out with the brethren and getting to know eachother (fellowship), eating meals together at eachothers houses (breaking bread), studying the Word together (the Apostles teachings) and praying together is how Christian churches should really conduct themselves.

Your list "worship, instruction (edification/equipping), fellowship, equipping for evangelism, and service" is a start but leaves out breaking bread, studying the word together as opposed to being instructed in a one way top-down, sermonistic style and arguably most importantly praying together. I would also question how true the fellowship is especially if it is only one or twice a week for a one hour or so service.

I see it at large churches frequently. The have some elders who will pray with you after the service if you "need prayer" Like who doesn't need prayer? The problem is that praying with someone who doesn't know you is not as effective as praying with someone who you are in true fellowship with. It is also a barrier to many people because they have to go up to the front of the church after the service and may be shy. They might need prayer for something they aren't comfortable talking to a mere acquaintance about.

Bottom line:

Mega churches are essentially big productions where little true fellowship takes place, prayers are likely to be shallow and the breaking of bread consists of a broken piece of matzoh and a thimble of grape juice. Believers can easily be just a face in the crowd and never grow spiritually, but fall away when the world attacks, which it always does.

Do you honestly think that is what the church is supposed to be?

I concur with much of your assessment and share the same concerns. We need to rethink how we do church. I just do not think we need to swing the pendulum to another extreme and think it more spiritual to not have buildings, etc. This is not the root problem. It is a heart and leadership issue. Let us respond to the principles of the Word and not react against the foibles of the modern church.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

For some people this is a process to give 10%, and they give maybe 5% now , but everytime they hear about them being disobedient in giving 10% a great wrath of condemnation will fall on them and this will not encourage them to give anything any more.

My wife has a problem with this now and she say she can give because she don`t give in faith or love and is not cheerful about it at this time so what should she do??

Should she give out of legalism, and stress??

I appreciate your concerns. We should not give out of duty, fear, legalism, coercion, condemnation, guilt, etc.

We should try to establish a biblical understanding of giving.

I believe tithing is a principle applicable for all believers. I am taking flack for that here. Maybe they should read my profs doctoral thesis on whether tithing is still valid in the NT.

From a pastoral perspective, I would hear the heart and spirit of the Malachi passage. In a materialistic culture, it is liberating to be able to give out of our abundance. God does not need our tithe. To obey is better than sacrifice. Like much of the Christian life, obedience precedes feelings. I would obey Scripture and the Spirit (if you are being convicted from the Word, not from man, about this area) whether I felt great about it or had mixed motives.

There are many anecdotal stories of believers who have started giving systematically and proportionately as unto God. There is blessing for obedience. I cannot afford to give what I do. In my heart, I know it is the right thing for me. It is a tangible way to jettison cheapness and selfishness in my life with the desire to invest in the Kingdom and see it advanced. Where your treasure is, there your heart will be.

Many believers are in bondage to money and live materialistically. We can learn from the rich young ruler who lost salvation since money was his god. Practically, tithing meets needs and loosens the grip of mammon on our lives.

The naysayers arguments do not consider all issues, but too quickly dismiss tithing outright.

I do not condemn others who do not see light in the same way I do. Nor should they condemn me for using it as a guideline. God knows my heart and motives, and I know what He has shown me from the Word. I would be responsible for not living up to the light I have.

billwald

There was no "Christian" real estate until Constantine made Christianity the official religion around 300 AD. At that time the Church didn't build churches, they stole pagan temples.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

God is a God of love and does not hold a club to us. An inheritance is not earned income any more than a birthday gift of cash is. You do not give to get or to be blessed. I believe you have the freedom to tithe the lump sum or not. I would be inclined to give some of it to a ministry like Gospel for Asia where lives will be transformed forever. I would not feel obligated to 'tithe' on this. If you do give a big amount, I am sure this would please God and be rewarded in eternity. If you do not, I do not think you would be condemned (unless the Spirit is clearly saying to do this).

I also do not tithe on income tax returns like some people do. An income tax refund is an overpayment, not earned income.

See, I am not as legalistic as some think. Perhaps the spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law folks? C.Moore...try not to approach this issue as a legalism, but as an opportunity to give what you want (if anything). It seems you will have hundreds of thousands left, so why not be generous with a variety of ministries (does not have to just be your local church if they are poor stewards).

My daughter is getting a legal settlement. I feel we should give some for ministry, but do not feel compelled to 'tithe' it.

Principles, wisdom, love; not prescription, legalisms, duty.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Could be perceived as heavy-handed, cultish, authoritarian.

When I was a pastor, I taught the principle of tithing along with stewardship in general. I left it to the Spirit to convict or convince the people of any personal application.

It is not necessarily wrong to require church attendance, faithful giving, water baptism, etc. for people in leadership as an example and commitment. If it is done in a condemnatory, coercive way...this may be crossing the line.

cravescheese

I concur with much of your assessment and share the same concerns. We need to rethink how we do church. I just do not think we need to swing the pendulum to another extreme and think it more spiritual to not have buildings, etc. This is not the root problem. It is a heart and leadership issue. Let us respond to the principles of the Word and not react against the foibles of the modern church.

We don't need to swing the pendulum or whatever term you want to use to continue to allow this "experimental christianity". We don't need to rethink anything. We just need to follow the guidebook.

Meet with other believers at your homes, inns and public places.

Pray, Fellowship, Break Bread and study the Word of God in groups that are intimate enough so that you can actually get to really know eachother, instead of superficial nonsense.

Spread the gospel here and in other countries by starting more next to zero-overhead home churches instead of big building projects that require huge amounts of funds to be raised before anyone ever hears the word of God.

Of course you are not going to hear this from Johnny Pulpit anytime soon. They won't admit it, but they love being the "head pastor" at the top of a top-down hierarchy where they are essentially the CEO of a church-corporation (whatever that is) and have underlings to rule over not to mention a huge flock of brainwashed well intentioned but mislead "sheep" that won't dare question anything they say or do, until of course they have done something so obviously pagan that their eyes open.

Even when these guys get caught sleeping with the church secretary, some of their flocks still won't wake up. The sheep analogy is almost universally projected as what and how believers should behave, if they are "good" Christians. Dumb and compliant, ready and willing to go and do anything the shepherd says.

There are some problems with this. First of all, where do we get the idea that a human preacher is a shepherd over the persons who come to hear him preach? The bible says we are all priests with one High Priest, Jesus. So of course man cannot have that, that would mean we are all equally valid and all can read the Word on our own and hear from the High Priest directly.

Can't have that, we have to create a top-down hierarchy. Where do we get this idea that their are "senior" or "head" pastors? Where do we get this rank structure from? True bishops and deacons are mentioned, but no where does it say that they are better or more priveleged than the other believers. What we have today is clergy elitiism over the stupid "sheep".

If the sheep analogy was correct, why do we assume that the sheep are all to be baby ewe-lambs? Some sheep are rambunctious, RAMS with horns that will attack predators to protect the flock. Usually rams get alienated by these "shepherds" who cannot deal with them objecting to the fleecing they conduct.

The other problem with the sheep analogy is that I haven't heard of too many warrior sheep. On the one hand we are to be these sheep (re: easily manipulated) like humans, but on the other hand we are to put on the armor of God and do battle with the enemy. This "be a sheep" thing is so ingrained into christians that they truly have become sheepish. They can't fulfill the great commission because they have no ability to defend themselves. So they hide in the santuary planning potluck dinners. I know this because I have tried to get some of these sheople to come street witness and very few will. They just don't have it in them. What "it" is has been excused as a lack of "an extroverted personality" but I contend it is a lack of the Holy Spirit.

I have to say it.

Most of these churches today are NOT CHURCHES AT ALL.

They are glorified social clubs for hypocrites and thieves that have figured out how to have a good standard of living without producing anything. They stage one or two productions a week that they call "services" where they deliver sugar coated mindless drivel in a condescending "this is what it means because we say so" manner that is designed to avert any questions because they use the one way sermon approach. They say "come forward if you have questions" afterwards but they know full well that that puts the onus on the "sheep" to either challenge the shepherd (rather unsheep like behavior, that will cause people to question your salvation if done to much or at all in some "churches") or admit that they couldn't understand something because they are too dumb. In other words it is one way communication for an hour or two, that these guys deliver after spending a few minutes looking up some other guys sermons and commentaries that they then have the audacity to call "work". How come when the rest of the church studies the bible it isn't work? How come it is considered work if a staff member does it? BECAUSE THEY WANT YOU TO PAY THEM! It is mostly about the money.

I could go on about this for hours. Wake up, open your eyes and be a Berean.

Crow

I think that it is an evil teaching.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Cheesemun:

Ephesians 4 gives a 5-fold ministry of elders. The Bible does not just mention elders and deacons, but also pastors, teachers, etc.

Leadership must have integrity, character, etc. and is to serve and equip the people. The Bible is not anti-leadership.

The clergy-laity distinction is an unfortunate development in church history. We are all ministers, but that does not mean we are all leaders. We are a royal priesthood, but we cannot carry that analogy too far to contradict other explicit passages about true leadership serving the flock and accountable to the Head of the Church.

In your zeal for an ideal NT church (read Corinthians and Acts...the early church had growing pains, immorality, conflicts, etc. It is a myth that the early church was perfect or the prototype in every way) be careful to not develop a short-sighted ecclesiology that negates leadership, giving, ministry, buildings, etc. Meeting in a bar is no more or less spiritual than meeting in a building shared by multiple congregations (ethnic, different denominations, etc...this is just good stewardship). There are principles in the Bible, but varying cultural applications across geography and time. Cultural models differ as to the most effective way to be the people of God. It is poor hermeneutics to think we have to do everything exactly as the early Jewish or Roman Christians did.

cravescheese

Cheesemun:

Ephesians 4 gives a 5-fold ministry of elders. The Bible does not just mention elders and deacons, but also pastors, teachers, etc.

Leadership must have integrity, character, etc. and is to serve and equip the people. The Bible is not anti-leadership.
So are pastors below or above teachers or evangelists? Or elders or deacons? Where is the hierarchy structure defined? It isn't is it? So who is "leading" who? I don't see where anyone Christian is declared to be a leader of any others. Can you show examples of this?

We are to be lead by the Holy Spirit.

The clergy-laity distinction is an unfortunate development in church history. We are all ministers, but that does not mean we are all leaders. We are a royal priesthood, but we cannot carry that analogy too far to contradict other explicit passages about true leadership serving the flock and accountable to the Head of the Church.

Are priests leaders? Are we all priests? You are making distinctions that are not in the bible. I reall get the feeling that you just make stuff up. We are all accountable to our one High Priest. I don't need to go through any one, pastor, elder, deacon whatever. This is almost as stupid as praying to a dead saint to intercede for you. Are you a catholic?

How does one become one of your fictitious official leaders? Show me where the bible prohibits any or all christians from starting their own churches and proclaiming themselves head pastor?

In your zeal for an ideal NT church (read Corinthians and Acts...the early church had growing pains, immorality, conflicts, etc. It is a myth that the early church was perfect or the prototype in every way) be careful to not develop a short-sighted ecclesiology that negates leadership, giving, ministry, buildings, etc. Meeting in a bar is no more or less spiritual than meeting in a building shared by multiple congregations (ethnic, different denominations, etc...this is just good stewardship). There are principles in the Bible, but varying cultural applications across geography and time. Cultural models differ as to the most effective way to be the people of God. It is poor hermeneutics to think we have to do everything exactly as the early Jewish or Roman Christians did.

I never said the early church or any church was perfect.

Was not the early model simpler than todays?

Do we not have just as many problems today (according to most reasonable people, much more)?

So we could have a simpler model or more complex.

Lets think about that.

Whenever you introduce complexity you have to introduce complications.

Complications are problems.

So a simpler model must have less problems.

You just want to justify churchianity at all costs.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Pastors, teachers, elders, deacons, etc. are all essentially equal. There does not have to be a 'hierarchy'.

The Trinity is the ultimate unity and diversity. The Father, Son, Spirit are all equal, yet they have different roles. The Bible teaches headship within a family. Headship does not negate essential equality between a man and a woman. There are authority structures in society. This does not negate equality, but recognizes different roles and responsibilities.

Pastors, teachers, police, parents, etc. are delegated authorities from God. This does not have to degenerate into negative connotations. Servant leadership precludes sinful hierarchies, but it does not preclude leadership itself (cf. Moses; Timothy, etc.).

cravescheese

Pastors, teachers, elders, deacons, etc. are all essentially equal. There does not have to be a 'hierarchy'.

The Trinity is the ultimate unity and diversity. The Father, Son, Spirit are all equal, yet they have different roles. The Bible teaches headship within a family. Headship does not negate essential equality between a man and a woman. There are authority structures in society. This does not negate equality, but recognizes different roles and responsibilities.

Pastors, teachers, police, parents, etc. are delegated authorities from God. This does not have to degenerate into negative connotations. Servant leadership precludes sinful hierarchies, but it does not preclude leadership itself (cf. Moses; Timothy, etc.).

Since you say that pastors and teachers and elders and deacons are all equal, why are they above the rest of the brethren?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
cf. Trinity, family, army, government.

Headship involves essential equality, but different roles.

Jesus said that the Father was GREATER than He was while He was on earth as the God-Man (Jn. 14). Hebrews 1 says He was BETTER than the angels (nature as their Creator), yet lower than them positionally during the incarnation. Phil. 2 (kenosis) also highlights the essential equality and unity of the Godhead. Christ's incarnation was an example of love and humility for the believers. He retained equality with the Father, yet was positionally subordinate.

We are equal with the US president as to our humanity (nature, essence), yet He is greater as to authority and function and role.

The NT leadership model supports the essential equality of all men and women in Christ, but allows for authority structures, differing roles/functions, etc.

It seems to me you are misunderstanding servant leadership and confusing it with the pagans who lord it over people using brute power or position. Jesus distinguished the two and so should we. If the church is guilty of the latter at times, this is not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think you need to research biblical models of leadership and church governance in light of what godly, servant leadership is. Your previous bad examples of leadership or church involvement should not drive your formulation of a philosophy of ministry.

cravescheese

cf. Trinity, family, army, government.

Headship involves essential equality, but different roles.

Jesus said that the Father was GREATER than He was while He was on earth as the God-Man (Jn. 14). Hebrews 1 says He was BETTER than the angels (nature as their Creator), yet lower than them positionally during the incarnation. Phil. 2 (kenosis) also highlights the essential equality and unity of the Godhead. Christ's incarnation was an example of love and humility for the believers. He retained equality with the Father, yet was positionally subordinate.

We are equal with the US president as to our humanity (nature, essence), yet He is greater as to authority and function and role.

The NT leadership model supports the essential equality of all men and women in Christ, but allows for authority structures, differing roles/functions, etc.

It seems to me you are misunderstanding servant leadership and confusing it with the pagans who lord it over people using brute power or position. Jesus distinguished the two and so should we. If the church is guilty of the latter at times, this is not a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I think you need to research biblical models of leadership and church governance in light of what godly, servant leadership is. Your previous bad examples of leadership or church involvement should not drive your formulation of a philosophy of ministry.

What does the bible say about tithing? Does it or does it not say that the lesser tithes to the greater?

You are saying that the "leaders" are not greater than the "lead" but that the "lead" should pay tithes to the "leaders".