Romans Chapter 9 and Calvinism

Robert Pate

Banned
Agreed, that not everyone wants the truth and everything has been revealed in the bible. The point though is God has already worked out this before we existed! That is why the word is the greatest book of PROPHECY. That means it has already happened according to God. The bible reveals this time and time again. We are babies continuing to mature into adults spiritually. Same as a baby coming into more realization about their daddy and mommy. How many godly parents don't teach there children? God individually and intimately teaches us who are his children by his knowledge and not ours. We don't know the number of his children but we continue to pray for each and every individual for God to reveal himself to them. You may say he teaches everyone. But that is that the case? The devil has deceived people that are particularly assigned to him and will have no relationship with God. Judas, pharaoh, etc. so we must not perceive these people as ourselves. They were designed differently for different purposes. God directs a KINGS hearts wherever he chooses. Should we think it would be any different for a common man?

“The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.”
**Proverbs‬ *21:1‬ *KJV‬

There is much randomness in life and in nature. There are no set rules or predictions for what may happen next or in the future.

"The wind blows where is listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but cannot tell from where it has come and where it goes: so is every one born of the Spirit" John 3:8.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord ponders the heart" Proverbs 21:2.

As Christians we are not bound by laws or rules. We have the freedom to live as the Holy Spirit leads us.

Prophecy is not easy to understand. Some things in the Bible have already taken place that many believe are yet to happen.

Nanja

Please do explain to us the true meaning of John 3:16, also 1 John 2:2 and 1 John 4:14.

We will be waiting to hear your answer.

Glad to answer your request!

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that
whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The only WORLD God Loved and Promised Eternal Life to,
is the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
those God the Father had chosen in Christ before the foundation,
His Elect, the Spiritual Seed of Abraham!

John 17:24
Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am;
that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me:
for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

Eph. 1:4, 11
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame
Eph 1:7 before him in love:
v.11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated
according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Only the Elect were made holy and without blame before God, because Christ was made
their Covenant Head and Surety before the foundation of the world Heb. 7:22, so therefore
the sin they committed in Adam their natural Head, along with all the sins they would ever commit
as they are born in time, have been imputed to Christ in their stead 2 Cor. 5:19, 21; Ps. 32:2.

Titus 1:1-2
Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect,
and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; v.2 In hope of eternal life,
which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began
;

God Promised The Elect Eternal Life before the world began.

2 Tim. 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works,
but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

2 Tim. 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Jude 1:1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father,
and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

2 Thes. 2:13-14
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because
God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Elect of God, the Election of Grace Rom. 11:5 are also the Israel which Salvation was Promised to,
the People Christ came to save Mat. 1:21, from all the nations of the earth Dan. 7:14:

Is. 45:17
But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation:
ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Ps. 148:14
He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints;
even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the LORD.

Deut. 7:6-7
For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee
to be a special people unto himself
, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
v.7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people;
for ye were the fewest of all people:

In contrast, however, are those that make up the world that God did not love:

Reprobates Titus 1:16 KJV
Seed of the serpent John 8:44; Mat. 23:33
Seed of the wicked Ps. 37:28 KJV; Mat. 13:38
Ungodly men 2 Pet. 3:7
Vessels of God's Wrath Rom. 9:22
Ordained by God to be condemned Jude 1:4 KJV
Those with blinded minds 2 Cor. 4:4 KJV
Those who remain spiritually Deaf John 8:43, 47

~~~~~

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

I thought I'd start by simply posting my take on the chapter. I thought to take it verse by verse but then I realized that would be entirely too lengthy and not really necessary so I decided just to clearly communicate the way I think the text should be taken without going into that much meticulous detail.

Before I do that though let me say first that I think that the Bible interprets itself and must be taken as a whole but that I also believe that individual passages of Scripture must stand on their own without being logically incoherent. In other words, we are able to determine what a passage of Scripture is saying based solely on the context of the passage itself. We do not need a theological system in place before it is possible to figure out what a section of Scripture is saying. Now, there could be, I suppose, exceptions to this general rule but Romans chapter 9 is certainly not one of them. I'm saying this at the outset because I want to draw attention to the fact that I do not draw upon any theology to interpret this chapter but only upon other Bible passages which the text of Romans 9 makes reference too, all of which couldn't be any clearer and easy to understand than they are. I also bring this up now because I think that this will become important as the conversation goes on because I do not think that the Calvinist take on this chapter makes any logical sense whatsoever. Paul would have to be nearly schizophrenic to write what Calvinists generally say that he wrote in this passage.

Now, with that in mind let's get to it...

The ninth chapter of Romans is speaking about the cutting off of Israel. It is quite clear that Paul is making a case that God cut off Israel and turned instead to the gentiles, and that God is justified in having done so. It will become equally clear that this is all that the chapter is about, and that it has nothing to do with predestination at all.

It helps to see it if one looks at the introduction and summation of the chapter. In the first few verses it is clear that Paul is speaking of Israel and that he is upset by their condition of unbelief...

Romans 9:1 I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, 2 that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my *countrymen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises; 5 of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.​

And then in the last few verses Paul sums up the point of what he's just been saying in the previous several verses...

Romans 9:30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law *of righteousness. 32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, *by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone. 33 As it is written:
"Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense,
And whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."​

Now, that by itself is probably enough to make it clear what Paul is talking about but what really nails it down is his reference in the body of the chapter to a couple of Old Testament passages, those being Jacob and Esau and then the Potter and the clay story.
It's always a good idea to read any Old Testament passage that is quoted or made reference to in the New, in order to maintain the context of what's being said. (Remember the whole "Bible interpreting the Bible" thing.) So let's take a look at them so that we can be on the same page that Paul was on when he made these references. Doing so will undoubtedly shed additional light on the point he was making.

Romans 9:13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."​

This is a direct quote from Malachi 1:2-3 but even the Malachi passage is not referencing the two boys themselves but the nations which came from them. I won't bother quoting it here but even a surface reading of Malachi 1 will confirm that it is talking about a nation not a person.
Likewise, Paul is talking also about a nation. We can tell this for certain because of what is quoted just before in verse 12...

Romans 9:12 "it was said to her, "The older shall serve the younger.""​

This is a direct quote from Genesis chapter 25 where it says explicitly that there are two nations in Rebecca's womb...

Genesis 25:23 "And the LORD said to her: "Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger."​

Additionally, even if it didn't explicitly state that it's talking about two nations we could still know for certain that it is anyway because Esau (the older) never served Jacob (the younger). That did not happen, ever.

This passage is very clearly talking about nations and about how God deals with nations not about individuals or how God deals with individuals and Paul by referencing this material was making the exact same point. That's the reason why he referenced it.

Now let's move on to the Potter and the clay story. It is on the same topic and is found in Jeremiah chapter 18...

Jeremiah 18:1The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying: 2 "Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you to hear My words." 3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.​

Okay, that couldn't be any clearer! Jeremiah was making the very point that Paul is making! No wonder Paul referenced this passage, it applies directly to the subject he was dealing with! It IS the subject he was dealing with! Romans 9 and Jeremiah 18 are making the exact same point; they both use the same analogy for the same reasons. For all intent and purposes Romans 9 and Jeremiah 18 are the exact same chapter! The only difference is that in Romans 9 Paul is saying that the principle described in Jeremiah 18 has been carried out by God on the nation of Israel.

Romans 9 is not about predestination at all. Paul didn't start talking about Israel and then suddenly change the subject to predestination and then just as suddenly change the subject back again to Israel. The whole chapter is on one issue and one issue only. That issue being God's absolute right to change His mind concerning His blessing of a nation that had done evil in His sight.
It's no more complicated than that. In a nutshell, Paul was simply saying that Israel's promised kingdom wasn't coming because they had rejected the King and Romans 9 is all about how God was justified in having changed His mind about giving them that kingdom. That's all it's about; nothing more, nothing less.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Glad to answer your request!

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that
whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The only WORLD God Loved and Promised Eternal Life to,
is the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
those God the Father had chosen in Christ before the foundation,
His Elect, the Spiritual Seed of Abraham!

John 17:24
Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am;
that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me:
for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

Eph. 1:4, 11
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame
Eph 1:7 before him in love:
v.11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated
according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Only the Elect were made holy and without blame before God, because Christ was made
their Covenant Head and Surety before the foundation of the world Heb. 7:22, so therefore
the sin they committed in Adam their natural Head, along with all the sins they would ever commit
as they are born in time, have been imputed to Christ in their stead 2 Cor. 5:19, 21; Ps. 32:2.

Titus 1:1-2
Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect,
and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; v.2 In hope of eternal life,
which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began
;

God Promised The Elect Eternal Life before the world began.

2 Tim. 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works,
but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

2 Tim. 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Jude 1:1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father,
and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

2 Thes. 2:13-14
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because
God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Elect of God, the Election of Grace Rom. 11:5 are also the Israel which Salvation was Promised to,
the People Christ came to save Mat. 1:21, from all the nations of the earth Dan. 7:14:

Is. 45:17
But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation:
ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Ps. 148:14
He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints;
even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the LORD.

Deut. 7:6-7
For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee
to be a special people unto himself
, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.
v.7 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people;
for ye were the fewest of all people:

In contrast, however, are those that make up the world that God did not love:

Reprobates Titus 1:16 KJV
Seed of the serpent John 8:44; Mat. 23:33
Seed of the wicked Ps. 37:28 KJV; Mat. 13:38
Ungodly men 2 Pet. 3:7
Vessels of God's Wrath Rom. 9:22
Ordained by God to be condemned Jude 1:4 KJV
Those with blinded minds 2 Cor. 4:4 KJV
Those who remain spiritually Deaf John 8:43, 47

~~~~~
Quality example of bringing one's doctrine to the text and why proof texting it a complete waste of time.

An equally good example of why it is impossible to persuade a Calvinist using normal means of communication and plain reason. Regular English words mean different things to Calvinists than they mean to anyone else. When a Calvinist speaks, it all looks and sounds like English but it isn't.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The scripture also says that Pharaoh hardened his own heart, Exodus 8:32 also Exodus 9:34.
God hardening Pharaoh's heart and Pharaoh hardening his own heart are not mutually exclusive to each other.

Miracles, as a general rule, hardens the heart of anyone who witnesses them, especially if the witnesses are already very wicked.

God performed miracles that Pharaoh could not deny. In response Pharaoh hated God all the more. No surprise. Not complicated. Not difficult for God to do without having to force Pharaoh to do anything he didn't want to do.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Robert Pate

Banned
God hardening Pharaoh's heart and Pharaoh hardening his own heart are not mutually exclusive to each other.

Miracles, as a general rule, hardens the heart of anyone who witnesses them, especially if the witnesses are already very wicked.

God performed miracles that Pharaoh could not deny. In response Pharaoh hated God all the more. No surprise. Not complicated. Not difficult for God to do without having to force Pharaoh to do anything he didn't want to do.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Whatever God did in his relationship with Pharaoh was done in justice and righteousness. God is not unjust, nor is he a sinner.

God did not deliberately harden Pharaohs so that he could vent his wrath upon him. Pharaohs heart was already hardened. Pharaoh was just another wicked man that God used for his own glory. You might say that Pharaoh got what he deserved. Judgment.

Nanja

Quality example of bringing one's doctrine to the text and why proof texting it a complete waste of time.

An equally good example of why it is impossible to persuade a Calvinist using normal means of communication and plain reason. Regular English words mean different things to Calvinists than they mean to anyone else. When a Calvinist speaks, it all looks and sounds like English but it isn't.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Comparing scripture with scripture 1 Cor. 2:13 is the biblical hermeneutic !

The bible is God's Word which is Spiritual, for God is Spirit John 4:24.

So in coming to an understanding of His Word, we must go to the original languages
for proper understanding of words: Not regular English words.

1 Cor. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth,
but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

~~~~~

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Comparing scripture with scripture 1 Cor. 2:13 is the biblical hermeneutic !

The bible is God's Word which is Spiritual, for God is Spirit John 4:24.

So in coming to an understanding of His Word, we must go to the original languages
for proper understanding of words: Not regular English words.

1 Cor. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth,
but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

~~~~~
Yeah, because you're better at translating the Bible than the people who translated the King James, New King James, NIV or whatever other English translation you care to name (Virtually all of whom were Calvinists, by the way.)

Not that there's anything wrong with making reference to the original language but that isn't what you are doing. What you are doing cannot be done by anyone who isn't already a Calvinist. You read the Bible (in any language) with Calvinist colored glasses on and therefore see Calvinism everywhere even though it isn't taught anywhere.

Romans 9 is the perfect example. You Calvinists think its talking about predestination but that topic isn't even brought up anywhere in the whole chapter! It just isn't in there at all and in fact the real topic of the chapter has to do with God having told Israel that He would give them a Kingdom and Paul explaining why God rightly repented concerning the good with which He said He would benefit them.

Incidentally, "repent" is in fact the correct translation of the word used in Jeremiah 18 that is typically translated as "relent" in modern translations. As I said, nearly all of the translators of modern translations are all Calvinists. They just couldn't bring themselves to write the entire letter 'p' and instead wrote the letter 'l' changing "repent" to "relent". Shameful, really.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Whatever God did in his relationship with Pharaoh was done in justice and righteousness. God is not unjust, nor is he a sinner.
Quite so!

There is no injustice in God using the wicked for His purpose.

God did not deliberately harden Pharaohs so that he could vent his wrath upon him.
Of course He did!

Just not in a manner in which Pharaoh's rebellion was a logical necessity in that he could not have repented.

When Moses said " Let my people go!" Pharaoh could have said, "Yeah, Okay!". He CHOSE not to.

Pharaohs heart was already hardened. Pharaoh was just another wicked man that God used for his own glory. You might say that Pharaoh got what he deserved. Judgment.
Whether this is true or not, and I don't dispute it, the text flatly states that God hardened Pharaoh's heart and He did exactly that.
It's the assumption that Pharaoh was forced to do things against his will is where the mistake is made. Its an unwarranted assumption that Calvinists make that is not rational, not stated in the text and not necessary to understand the events as they are recorded in scripture.

All one really needs to understand is what the typical reaction to witnessing an actual, undeniable, supernatural miracle is. Once that is understood any third grader could predict what the likely outcome would be of God sending a man to perform miracles to convince an evil king to do something he doesn't want to do.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Brother Ducky

God did not deliberately harden Pharaohs so that he could vent his wrath upon him. Pharaohs heart was already hardened. Pharaoh was just another wicked man that God used for his own glory. You might say that Pharaoh got what he deserved. Judgment.

Would you admit that God did indeed harden Pharoah's heart?

eddie17

Dont put God in a box,there are alot of tough verses in the bible and we have to trust in God through it all,please remember we are mere humans.

beloved57

I thought I'd start by simply posting my take on the chapter. I thought to take it verse by verse but then I realized that would be entirely too lengthy and not really necessary so I decided just to clearly communicate the way I think the text should be taken without going into that much meticulous detail.

Before I do that though let me say first that I think that the Bible interprets itself and must be taken as a whole but that I also believe that individual passages of Scripture must stand on their own without being logically incoherent. In other words, we are able to determine what a passage of Scripture is saying based solely on the context of the passage itself. We do not need a theological system in place before it is possible to figure out what a section of Scripture is saying. Now, there could be, I suppose, exceptions to this general rule but Romans chapter 9 is certainly not one of them. I'm saying this at the outset because I want to draw attention to the fact that I do not draw upon any theology to interpret this chapter but only upon other Bible passages which the text of Romans 9 makes reference too, all of which couldn't be any clearer and easy to understand than they are. I also bring this up now because I think that this will become important as the conversation goes on because I do not think that the Calvinist take on this chapter makes any logical sense whatsoever. Paul would have to be nearly schizophrenic to write what Calvinists generally say that he wrote in this passage.

Now, with that in mind let's get to it...

The ninth chapter of Romans is speaking about the cutting off of Israel. It is quite clear that Paul is making a case that God cut off Israel and turned instead to the gentiles, and that God is justified in having done so. It will become equally clear that this is all that the chapter is about, and that it has nothing to do with predestination at all.

It helps to see it if one looks at the introduction and summation of the chapter. In the first few verses it is clear that Paul is speaking of Israel and that he is upset by their condition of unbelief...

Romans 9:1 I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, 2 that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my *countrymen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises; 5 of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.​

And then in the last few verses Paul sums up the point of what he's just been saying in the previous several verses...

Romans 9:30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law *of righteousness. 32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, *by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone. 33 As it is written:
"Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense,
And whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."​

Now, that by itself is probably enough to make it clear what Paul is talking about but what really nails it down is his reference in the body of the chapter to a couple of Old Testament passages, those being Jacob and Esau and then the Potter and the clay story.
It's always a good idea to read any Old Testament passage that is quoted or made reference to in the New, in order to maintain the context of what's being said. (Remember the whole "Bible interpreting the Bible" thing.) So let's take a look at them so that we can be on the same page that Paul was on when he made these references. Doing so will undoubtedly shed additional light on the point he was making.

Romans 9:13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."​

This is a direct quote from Malachi 1:2-3 but even the Malachi passage is not referencing the two boys themselves but the nations which came from them. I won't bother quoting it here but even a surface reading of Malachi 1 will confirm that it is talking about a nation not a person.
Likewise, Paul is talking also about a nation. We can tell this for certain because of what is quoted just before in verse 12...

Romans 9:12 "it was said to her, "The older shall serve the younger.""​

This is a direct quote from Genesis chapter 25 where it says explicitly that there are two nations in Rebecca's womb...

Genesis 25:23 "And the LORD said to her: "Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger."​

Additionally, even if it didn't explicitly state that it's talking about two nations we could still know for certain that it is anyway because Esau (the older) never served Jacob (the younger). That did not happen, ever.

This passage is very clearly talking about nations and about how God deals with nations not about individuals or how God deals with individuals and Paul by referencing this material was making the exact same point. That's the reason why he referenced it.

Now let's move on to the Potter and the clay story. It is on the same topic and is found in Jeremiah chapter 18...

Jeremiah 18:1The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying: 2 "Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you to hear My words." 3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.​

Okay, that couldn't be any clearer! Jeremiah was making the very point that Paul is making! No wonder Paul referenced this passage, it applies directly to the subject he was dealing with! It IS the subject he was dealing with! Romans 9 and Jeremiah 18 are making the exact same point; they both use the same analogy for the same reasons. For all intent and purposes Romans 9 and Jeremiah 18 are the exact same chapter! The only difference is that in Romans 9 Paul is saying that the principle described in Jeremiah 18 has been carried out by God on the nation of Israel.

Romans 9 is not about predestination at all. Paul didn't start talking about Israel and then suddenly change the subject to predestination and then just as suddenly change the subject back again to Israel. The whole chapter is on one issue and one issue only. That issue being God's absolute right to change His mind concerning His blessing of a nation that had done evil in His sight.
It's no more complicated than that. In a nutshell, Paul was simply saying that Israel's promised kingdom wasn't coming because they had rejected the King and Romans 9 is all about how God was justified in having changed His mind about giving them that kingdom. That's all it's about; nothing more, nothing less.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Its talking about individuals, Jacob and Easu were individuals, Brothers first and foremost!

beloved57

Yes God did deliberately harden the heart of pharaoh in order to fit him for destruction! That's part of the Truth of Rom 9:17-18 ,you are denying it!

He did it with sihon king of heshbon also Deut 2:30!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Its talking about individuals, Jacob and Easu were individuals, Brothers first and foremost!

Saying it doesn't make it so.

The text flatly states otherwise. As I pointed out in my post...

"Genesis 25:23 "And the LORD said to her: "Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger."

Additionally, even if it didn't explicitly state that it's talking about two nations we could still know for certain that it is anyway because Esau (the older) never served Jacob (the younger). That did not happen, ever."​

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. In the future, please refrain from making bald assertions. Make the argument, if you can.

beloved57

Saying it doesn't make it so.

The text flatly states otherwise. As I pointed out in my post...

"Genesis 25:23 "And the LORD said to her: "Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger."

Additionally, even if it didn't explicitly state that it's talking about two nations we could still know for certain that it is anyway because Esau (the older) never served Jacob (the younger). That did not happen, ever."​

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. In the future, please refrain from making bald assertions. Make the argument, if you can.

Apparently you don't believe that Jacob and Easu were individuals!

beloved57

Please do explain to us the true meaning of John 3:16, also 1 John 2:2 and 1 John 4:14.

We will be waiting to hear your answer.

All these verses apply to Gods Elect, I have explained that to you on many occasions before! Salvation is promised to only one People, Israel Isa 45:17 which is Gods Elect!

Robert Pate

Banned
All these verses apply to Gods Elect, I have explained that to you on many occasions before! Salvation is promised to only one People, Israel Isa 45:17 which is Gods Elect!

According to John 3:16 the promise is to "WHOSOEVER".

"Whosoever that believes".

Nothing about Israel.

beloved57

According to John 3:16 the promise is to "WHOSOEVER".

"Whosoever that believes".

Nothing about Israel.

No it's not stating a promise in John 3:16, a fact is being declared about the end results of the world God loved and gave His Son to died for , God promised Salvation to Israel Isa45:17 when God says something shall be done, that is a promise!