Romans Chapter 9 and Calvinism

beloved57

The Bible knows NOTHING of a individual predestination. Simply because God is no respector of persons, Acts 10:34. God does everything corporately in by and through Jesus Christ.

God has Chosen all of humanity in his Son Jesus Christ, Ephesians 1:4.

God sees ALL THINGS in His Son Jesus Christ, Colossians 1:20.

The Bible Teaches Indiviual Predestination in the Gospel Eph 1:3-6 who do you think the us are but infividual believers ?

Robert Pate

Banned
The Bible Teaches Indiviual Predestination in the Gospel Eph 1:3-6 who do you think the us are but infividual believers ?

What do you think that this means"?

"According as he has chosen "us" in him before the foundation of the world".

The "US" is all of humanity.

Remember, God is no respector of persons, Acts 10:34.

beloved57

So in spite of scripture you continue to reject the truth that God predestinated individuals to Salvation! Ephesians 1:3-6! What you think Us means if not individuals? You think it means animals or gold fish!

Robert Pate

Banned
So in spite of scripture you continue to reject the truth that God predestinated individuals to Salvation! Ephesians 1:3-6! What you think Us means if not individuals? You think it means animals or gold fish!

The Bible does not say that God predestinates anyone to heaven or to hell. Show me the scripture.

Jesus is God's elect man. He is the one that was chosen before the foundation of the world. We become God's elect by faith in Jesus and his Gospel.

beloved57

The Bible does not say that God predestinates anyone to heaven or to hell. Show me the scripture.

Jesus is God's elect man. He is the one that was chosen before the foundation of the world. We become God's elect by faith in Jesus and his Gospel.
You the one looking foolish here bud, Ephesians 1:3-6 is the bible!

Dialogos

The word "Predestination" only appears in the Bible 4 times. How can you say that the Bible is replete with it?
The Greek word προορίζω occurs 6 times. How many times does it have to occur before we take it seriously?

The word "elect" is in the bible 23 times, and the word.

Nevertheless, counting how many times a word shows up is probably the worst way to do theology.

The bible only has to say something once for it to be true. And the best way to determine doctrine is to carefully exegete the passage(s) and then come to a conclusion.

Pate said:
And then none of it is about anyone being predestinated to heaven or to hell.
It does say that those who are predestined are the same ones that are glorified (Romans 8:29-30). If being glorified isn't about going to heaven then you are going to have to explain to us all what it means.

Pate said:
Nowhere does it say that God has predestinated anyone to heaven or to hell. No, not Pharaoh, nor Esau.
Lets take Pharaoh for example, is he in heaven or hell do you think?

Pate said:
You try to read a lot of things into the Bible that are not there.
Said Robert, hypocritically....

If you will take the time to actually engage my two previous posts you will find that I show precisely where you read something into Romans 9:10-16 that not only isn't in the text, your commentary is actually the antithesis of what the text actually says.

Remember this Bob?

me said:
Here is where Pate goes off the rails and it is completely understandable as to why. In Pate's theology, God doesn't predestine in any meaningful way, therefore Pate must somehow sneak the notion that God's choice of Jacob is someway attributable to something meritorious in Jacob rather than God's sovereign choice. Thus Pate talks about how Jacob loved God, loved the spiritual things of God, etc...

But that's not what the text says at all.

Pate's commentary on the verse is actually contradicted by the verse itself!

And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad-- in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls-- she was told, "The older will serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. (Romans 9:10-16 ESV)​

Pate comments and implies that God chose Jacob because Jacob loved the spiritual things of God. The text completely precludes this taking great pains to point out that God chose before either were born or had done anything good or bad.

Pate, can you please explain to us why you skipped over this important detail in order to provide commentary that is actually, directly contradicted by the text you are attempting to comment upon?

Now, why don't you level with me. Are you going to address this challenge or no?

Robert Pate

Banned
The Greek word προορίζω occurs 6 times. How many times does it have to occur before we take it seriously?

The word "elect" is in the bible 23 times, and the word.

Nevertheless, counting how many times a word shows up is probably the worst way to do theology.

The bible only has to say something once for it to be true. And the best way to determine doctrine is to carefully exegete the passage(s) and then come to a conclusion.

It does say that those who are predestined are the same ones that are glorified (Romans 8:29-30). If being glorified isn't about going to heaven then you are going to have to explain to us all what it means.

Lets take Pharaoh for example, is he in heaven or hell do you think?

Said Robert, hypocritically....

If you will take the time to actually engage my two previous posts you will find that I show precisely where you read something into Romans 9:10-16 that not only isn't in the text, your commentary is actually the antithesis of what the text actually says.

Remember this Bob?

Now, why don't you level with me. Are you going to address this challenge or no?

What challenge?

There is no election without a purpose.

It was God's plan that Jacob was to be a patriarch that would lead to Christ.

The scripture says, "That the PURPOSE of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calls" Romans 9:11.

Mary was also called to be the mother of Jesus.

Nanja

Read in context, they are individuals who are believers.

That's who Paul is addressing in Eph. 1:1: "to the saints...to the faithful in Christ Jesus";
chosen and predestinated to become God's Children Eph. 1:4-5.
God predestinated them to inherit Eternal Life Eph. 1:11.

Pate

Incorrect! Humanity is comprised of two groups of people:

1) The Sheep whom Christ gave His Life for John 10:11; 15
who have been given Eternal Life John 10:28.

2) The Goats or tares which the devil sowed into the world:
who have been predestined or ordained to be condemned Jude 1:4;
and the same group is also referred to as vessels of wrath
fitted for destruction Rom. 9:22.
God never loved them or their father John 8:44!

Mat. 13:38-39

(v.38) The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom;
but the tares are the children of the wicked one; (v.39)
The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world;
and the reapers are the angels. (v.40) As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire;
so shall it be in the end of this world.

Pate

Verse 34 is ended with a colon which points to the explanation coming in verse 35. So they must be read together:

Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
(v.35) But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

It matters not which nation an individual is from (jew or gentile), but what matters is whether he fears God
and works righteousness, which points to only God's Elect.

Only they are made Righteous in Christ, their Covenant Head and Surety Rom. 5:19; Eph. 1:7, and Fear God Acts 13:26.

God Loves every one that He had Chosen in Christ to be His Adopted Children Eph. 1:4-5; John 13:33-34!

~~~~~

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
Calvinist want us to believe that God is unjust, unmercilful and unrighteous

Calvinists believe that God is exactly the opposite. The thing is, a lot of people are naive about God- He does not play, and often times, from a human perspective, He comes off as overly severe.

beloved57

Read in context, they are individuals who are believers.

That's who Paul is addressing in Eph. 1:1: "to the saints...to the faithful in Christ Jesus";
chosen and predestinated to become God's Children Eph. 1:4-5.
God predestinated them to inherit Eternal Life Eph. 1:11.

Pate

Incorrect! Humanity is comprised of two groups of people:

1) The Sheep whom Christ gave His Life for John 10:11; 15
who have been given Eternal Life John 10:28.

2) The Goats or tares which the devil sowed into the world:
who have been predestined or ordained to be condemned Jude 1:4;
and the same group is also referred to as vessels of wrath
fitted for destruction Rom. 9:22.
God never loved them or their father John 8:44!

Mat. 13:38-39

(v.38) The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom;
but the tares are the children of the wicked one; (v.39)
The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world;
and the reapers are the angels. (v.40) As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire;
so shall it be in the end of this world.

Pate

Verse 34 is ended with a colon which points to the explanation coming in verse 35. So they must be read together:

Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
(v.35) But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

It matters not which nation an individual is from (jew or gentile), but what matters is whether he fears God
and works righteousness, which points to only God's Elect.

Only they are made Righteous in Christ, their Covenant Head and Surety Rom. 5:19; Eph. 1:7, and Fear God Acts 13:26.

God Loves every one that He had Chosen in Christ to be His Adopted Children Eph. 1:4-5; John 13:33-34!

~~~~~
The US is Gods Elect Israel apart from humanity in general Deut 7:6!

Robert Pate

Banned
The reason that no one has been predestinated is because God does NOTHING outside of his Son Jesus Christ.

Calvinism is a doctrine that leaves out Jesus Christ.

They want to believe that God declared them to be saved.

No one will be saved that has not come to Christ as a repentant sinner.

beloved57

The reason that no one has been predestinated is because God does NOTHING outside of his Son Jesus Christ.

Calvinism is a doctrine that leaves out Jesus Christ.

They want to believe that God declared them to be saved.

No one will be saved that has not come to Christ as a repentant sinner.

You still don't believe Eph 1:3-6!