"OSAS" people are not answering this question.

genuineoriginal

Why are you holding resentment towards me by adding, "You are very easy to provoke"?
The truth is that you are very easy to provoke, as proven by your reaction to a statement that was merely meant to be informative and not meant to provoke you.
Grow a thicker skin and you won't be so easy to provoke.

Do you hate me because I have proven one of your false beliefs wrong too?
You haven't proven that your false beliefs are true, so there is no way for you to have proven my beliefs are false, since my beliefs are based on the words that are actually written in the Bible and not on your say so.

God's Truth

That's very similar to what you do, not what I do. The Pharisee necessarily sinned under the Mosaic ordinances and believed he was better than other sinners because of what God supposedly did for him through a sacrifice. He did not want to repent from sin, just avail himself of a sacrifice. Your alleged righteousness is no better.

Of course, that's logical. If I believe in God, it's not possible for me to simultaneously be an idolater. To be an idolater I would have to not believe the gospel. What I did was believe the gospel, and that truth set me free from idolatry for ever. I don't believe in other gods, let alone worship them.

If I know I have nothing to covet and consequently don't, then I am truthful when claiming I don't commit the sin of coveting. Everyone sins as the result of what they do or don't do because sin is transgression of the law.

If you covet, you sin; but you are trying to claim that when you covet it's not sin because of what Christ did. That's not truth but an example of strong delusion.

No, I see the difference, which is why I have been trying to expose your false doctrine. I'm just giving you rope to hang yourself by asking you to explain the difference.

You are not under abrogated Mosaic ordinances like Leviticus 15:30, but that doesn't mean you can violate the golden rule without suffering the wages of sin. A murderer does not have eternal life (1Jn 3:15).

Pretend? Does that mean you don't keep the law against stealing? I don't steal, and I'm not pretending. You will not tell us if you still commit any of the acts listed by Paul in Galatians 5:19-21. I don't do those things, and wouldn't be a believer if I did.

Man you go against them so well. I love it.

God's Truth

The truth is that you are very easy to provoke, as proven by your reaction to a statement that was merely meant to be informative and not meant to provoke you.
Grow a thicker skin and you won't be so easy to provoke.

You haven't proven that your false beliefs are true, so there is no way for you to have proven my beliefs are false, since my beliefs are based on the words that are actually written in the Bible and not on your say so.

Anyone who can see can see that you are falsely judging, it is the devil's works.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We are different in that you claim you don't sin because of what you do or don't do. I don't sin because of Christ did.....nothing to do with what I have done or don't do. It's a huge difference you fail to see. I am not under the law. I am under grace and don't have to pretend like I keep the law. You are still under the bondage of the law and have to pretend like you keep it. That's a sad thing.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Gal 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Notice that it requires walking in the Spirit to avoid fulfilling the lust of the flesh.

NOT only Christ having died for you.

LA

Dan Emanuel

You have to pretend when you take communion because you take it in the Catholic Church?...
No. I have to pretend because I don't take communion during the Catholic Mass.
...In what way are you pretending? Better than nothing? I don't understand what you are trying to communicate...
When I "take communion," since its not the true Eucharist, I have to pretend that it is in fact our Lords body and blood, when its not. Thats what I meant by "better than nothing."
...Are you Roman Catholic, or not?
No, I'm not.

DJ

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I really don't believe that anybody desires to emulate you. I know,
I don't.

You don't because you do not follow Christ.

You have your MAD teachings and think you will get to Heaven on that.

It takes more that you believing Christ died for you for you to get to Heaven.

You must die with Him, and you avoid that.

Listen to Paul--

Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Php 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

LA

genuineoriginal

Anyone who can see can see that you are falsely judging, it is the devil's works.
The Bible tells us to rightly judge those that claim to be Christians to see whether they are wicked or righteous.

Now can you please stop acting like troll-bait and return to the subject of the thread?

I have many enemies here.
You made them all by yourself, but I am not one of them, so stop counting me as one.

Right Divider

Body part
The way the Apostles wrote the New Testament shows that they believed that Salvation is a gift of God that is only given as a reward to those who earn it by pleasing God through their faith.
Dude, are you shooting for the dumbest post every on TOL?

A GIFT is never a REWARD.

From dictionary.com regarding a GIFT:
something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned:

Your comment is just ridiculous!.

God's Truth

The Bible tells us to rightly judge those that claim to be Christians to see whether they are wicked or righteous.

Now can you please stop acting like troll-bait and return to the subject of the thread?

You made them all by yourself, but I am not one of them, so stop counting me as one.

You act as if no one else can see that you are also a troll.

You gave no scripture and falsely accuse me.

glorydaz

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Gal 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Notice that it requires walking in the Spirit to avoid fulfilling the lust of the flesh.

NOT only Christ having died for you.

LA

We walk where we live and believers live in Christ and the Spirit lives in us. Therefore, since we are not in the flesh your conclusion is faulty. Which is Paul's point and what he is saying. He is saying get saved....be crucified with Christ....die to sin. No one can win the battle with the flesh. One must DIE to it, and be raised into newness of LIFE.

What? You cannot do the things you would? (yellow above). I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

God's Truth

something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned:

Your comment is just ridiculous!.

The gift, the reward, the inheritance, the treasure, the crown, the promise…it is all eternal life in the kingdom of God

God's Truth

We walk where we live and believers live in Christ and the Spirit lives in us. Therefore, since we are not in the flesh your conclusion is faulty. Which is Paul's point and what he is saying. He is saying get saved....be crucified with Christ....die to sin. No one can win the battle with the flesh. One must DIE to it, and be raised into newness of LIFE.

What? You cannot do the things you would? (yellow above). I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

You are walking in the flesh if you are not obeying. You are walking in the flesh if you are sinning. If you are not obeying then you are sinning.

You are doing Satan's work if you go against the message that saves. You are doing Satan's will if you preach against obeying Jesus.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It is folly to think that becoming saved means also to die to all sin.

Paul would have been wasting his breath if that was true. He need not have said much of anything.

Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
Act 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Act 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
Act 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
Act 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. Act 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

LA

glorydaz

You don't because you do not follow Christ.

You have your MAD teachings and think you will get to Heaven on that.

It takes more that you believing Christ died for you for you to get to Heaven.

You must die with Him, and you avoid that.

Listen to Paul--

Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Php 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

LA

It should be obvious Paul is not talking about what you think he's talking about ie salvation. You need to put a little more thought into your posts.

Acts 24:15
And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.​

genuineoriginal

I am well aware that the definition of the words used in the English Bible have been changed in a way to lead people away from the truth, just like the word marriage has been redefined to mean something other than the union of a man and a woman.

That does not mean that the new English definition can rewrite scripture, it means that we must be diligent in finding out the true meaning of the words in scripture instead of relying on 21st century American English definitions of the words that were originally written in 17th century British English to translate 1st century Koine Greek.

Here is one of the many words translated as "gift" in 17th century British English:
_____
χάρισμα • ‎(khárisma) (genitive χαρίσματος); n, third declension
A favourable disposition towards: grace, favor
A voluntary favourable act: favor, gift
_____​
Many Christian influenced dictionaries will give a distorted definition based on the un-Biblical idea that the gift is given to someone that does not merit it.
However the truth is that the gift is given only because God is pleased, and the things that please God the most are love for Him, true humility, and true faith.

So, the way the scriptures are written show that the Apostles believed that Salvation is a gift of God that is only given as a reward to those who earn it by pleasing God through their faith.

glorydaz

It is folly to think that becoming saved means also to die to all sin.

Paul would have been wasting his breath if that was true. He need not have said much of anything.

Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
Act 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Act 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
Act 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
Act 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. Act 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

LA

"Which is able to ....give you an inheritance among ALL THEM WHICH ARE SANCTIFIED." Who might those be, LA? It would be those who had not fallen for the lie the wolves were putting forth. It would be those who have believed unto salvation.....true believers....not just claimers (false brethren).