On Deservedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorydaz

Yeh, you think they get what they deserve if they're raped. Not even talking about going up to someone's face and yelling that they deserved it, your view is bad enough without that.

Bad enough? I lean towards God's view which says she deserves death.

Eh, grow up GD else go and join them yourself...

You should really try and be a little original instead of using my analogy of your needing to grow up.

Greg Jennings

If a slut gets raped, then I can safely say she got what she deserved.

That's just ridiculous. It's fair to say that a slut "deserves" to be looked down upon by her peers for her slutty behavior up to and including consensual sex with complete strangers, but it's not fair to say she deserves to be raped for it.

The reason is that she makes a conscious choice to be promiscuous and engage in consensual sex and/or related activities. She in no way makes a conscious choice to be raped

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's just ridiculous. It's fair to say that a slut "deserves" to be looked down upon by her peers for her slutty behavior up to and including consensual sex with complete strangers, but it's not fair to say she deserves to be raped for it.

The reason is that she makes a conscious choice to be promiscuous and engage in consensual sex and/or related activities. She in no way makes a conscious choice to be raped

so horrific consequences are only "fair" when we engage in risky behaviors knowing that we run the risk of those consequences with the intent of achieving those consequences?

If I drink a quart of scotch and ride my motorcycle in the rain on bald tires at 150 mph and crash and burn, it's acceptable for me to whine "but that's not faaaaiiiiirrrr! I didn't make a conscious choice to crash and burn!"

tell me greg - what color is the sky in your world?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
If I drink a quart of scotch and ride my motorcycle in the rain on bald tires at 150 mph and crash and burn, it's acceptable for me to whine "but that's not faaaaiiiiirrrr! I didn't make a conscious choice to crash and burn!"
if you can whine after a 150mph crash anything is fair. :)

glorydaz

She made a conscious decision to play the slut, didn't she? Of course she did, and it's that decision that resulted in her being raped.

If I decide to rob a corner market, I sure don't make a conscious choice to be shot, but when I am shot by the owner, I most certainly deserved to be shot.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Please stop talking....you're embarrassing yourself.

I said I lean towards God's view on the matter. I know you have no idea what that might be because you haven't heard your leaders mention God's view on this matter.

I know God's view is not rape as punishment, stop pretending you know the Bible, you obviously missed some huge chunks.

glorydaz

I know God's view is not rape as punishment, stop pretending you know the Bible, you obviously missed some huge chunks.

Prove it. Prove how God doesn't allow all kinds of horrible things to come upon us as a result of our bad behavior. Come on, big mouth.....let's see how you can "know" such a thing.

Scripture has been given already to show that God does allow all kinds of horrible things, including rape....did you miss that, or do you just like running your mouth?

Greg Jennings

so horrific consequences are only "fair" when we engage in risky behaviors knowing that we run the risk of those consequences with the intent of achieving those consequences?
You're focusing on "fair" too much. I could've said "it's not prudent" in its place, I suppose. My point was that even if you run the risk of a bad thing happening, that doesn't mean you deserve it to happen to you. For example, if a child is running on the wet side of a pool, they could possibly slip, fall, and bust their head open. Would you say that they deserve to get a busted head?

Again, you're reading too much into the fair comment. In your example, it would be ill-advised to do what you describe, but you still don't deserve to crash and get injured.

tell me greg - what color is the sky in your world?
Red with yellow streaks. That's how it's supposed to look, right?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Prove it. Prove how God doesn't allow all kinds of horrible things to come upon us as a result of our bad behavior. Come on, big mouth.....let's see how you can "know" such a thing.

Scripture has been given already to show that God does allow all kinds of horrible things, including rape....did you miss that, or do you just like running your mouth?

Then you must think God arranges tornadoes, fatal car crashes, earthquakes and cancer as just deserts, c'mon gd, you know better.

Greg Jennings

A lot of questionable things happen in the Bible. When Lot offered his daughter to the godless people of Sodom or Gommorah (can't remember which) and she was raped and torn apart, was that a result of her bad behavior? No, she was innocent yet still paid by dying a horrible death. Her father's behavior was seen as permissible then but is abhorrent now. The same can be said of ancient views on rape: they may have been permissible once upon a time, but that time is long past

Greg Jennings

She made a conscious decision to play the slut, didn't she? Of course she did, and it's that decision that resulted in her being raped.
Same example I gave to Doser: your grandson is running alongside a pool. He runs the risk of slipping, falling, and busting his skull open. Does he deserve that?

If I decide to rob a corner market, I sure don't make a conscious choice to be shot, but when I am shot by the owner, I most certainly deserved to be shot.
Well there's a pretty big difference between your example and the slutty rape victim example: in yours, you are committing a crime at the owner's expense, and you are in the wrong. In the rape victim's, her rapist is committing a crime at her expense, and he is in the wrong.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Same example I gave to Doser: your grandson is running alongside a pool. He runs the risk of slipping, falling, and busting his skull open. Does he deserve that?

if he's been told not to, if he's old enough understand the consequences?

yeah

he's earned the cracked skull by his actions

Greg Jennings

if he's been told not to, if he's old enough understand the consequences?

yeah

he's earned the cracked skull by his actions

Maybe he's earned it, but he certainly doesn't deserve it. Just like a humanitarian on a Christian mission to a dangerous part of Africa doesn't deserve to be kidnapped and murdered. She's aware of the risks, but chooses to go anyway. And that doesn't make her deserving of her unfortunate fate

Status
Not open for further replies.