On Deservedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorydaz

I don't think there is enough of a difference between 'deserve' and 'earn' to matter.

If what you're really getting at is expectation and predictability then there might be instances of rape where you aren't all that surprised but I would avoid saying anything about deserving or earning.

Also, do most girls who act slutty at parties even get raped? :idunno:

Rewards are earned. We deserve what we have earned. Rewards can be either bad or good. We see when Alexander did Paul "much evil", Paul asked or stated the "Lord reward him according to his works." Paul didn't request or expect any particular "reward" for the evil that was done him, because he knew that was the Lord's own business to decide what that "reward" would be.

2 Tim. 4:14
Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:

Girls who "act slutty" at parties reap all kinds of "rewards" for their bad behavior. Some are raped. Some have to walk home. Some have to live with a ruined reputation. Rape is just ONE of the possible consequences for bad behavior.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I don't think there is enough of a difference between 'deserve' and 'earn' to matter.

Definition of earn
Popularity: Bottom 40% of words

transitive verb

a : to receive as return for effort and especially for work done or services rendered b : to bring in by way of return <bonds earning 10 percent interest>

a : to come to be duly worthy of or entitled or suited to <she earned a promotion> b : to make worthy of or obtain for <the suggestion earned him a promotion>

Definition of earn

earnedearn·ing

: to get for work done <She earns her pay.>

: to deserve as a result of labor or service <He earned good grades.>

If what you're really getting at is expectation and predictability then there might be instances of rape where you aren't all that surprised but I would avoid saying anything about deserving or earning.

Also, do most girls who act slutty at parties even get raped? :idunno:

No, most do not. I guess I have a problem with both; deserve and earn.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I responded about Is 13 somewhere. Even if that passage is saying that the women deserved to be raped, the context is about the 'Day of the Lord'.

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

they're all His, kmo

ok doser

Girls who "act slutty" at parties reap all kinds of "rewards" for their bad behavior. Some are raped. Some have to walk home. Some have to live with a ruined reputation. Rape is just ONE of the possible consequences for bad behavior.

i was just about to respond in a similar manner :thumb:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Rewards are earned. We deserve what we have earned. Rewards can be either bad or good. We see when Alexander did Paul "much evil", Paul asked or stated the "Lord reward him according to his works." Paul didn't request or expect any particular "reward" for the evil that was done him, because he knew that was the Lord's own business to decide what that "reward" would be.

2 Tim. 4:14
Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
We don't know what Paul meant by it though. He could have meant in the final judgment. And we also don't know how Paul would have reacted had something bad happened to Alexander a couple days later. Would he have said, 'You deserved it Alexander, God is punishing you'. :idunno:

Rape isn't like the other things you mention though. Walking home could be a direct result of her turning down or missing a ride. A ruined reputation would be a direct result of her acting slutty. Being raped is not a direct result of acting slutty. Someone makes a decision to sexually assault the girl. Something that I wouldn't consider a natural consequence of her behavior.

EDIT: And to follow up on that with a quote from Trad from another post....

Traditio said:
Rape isn't strictly speaking a consequence of any action on the part of the woman. Yes, it is a foreseeable risk, but it is not, strictly speaking, a consequence of any actions on her part. Rape, by definition, is always unintended on the part of a woman. Expressed another way: there is no necessary connection between the actions of a woman and the actions of a rapist.

We aren't dealing with necessary laws of nature; we are dealing here with the interaction of free agents.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

they're all His, kmo

:thumb: A good thing to remember. However, 'Day of the Lord' still means a specific thing in certain contexts.

glorydaz

We don't know what Paul meant by it though. He could have meant in the final judgment. And we also don't know how Paul would have reacted had something bad happened to Alexander a couple days later. Would he have said, 'You deserved it Alexander, God is punishing you'. :idunno:

He wouldn't have meant final judgment because we are not punished according to our works but for our unbelief. I never said we should go up to a stripper who had been raped and tell her she got what she deserved. We are discussing reaping what we sow on an internet forum.

Rape isn't like the other things you mention though. Walking home could be a direct result of her turning down or missing a ride. A ruined reputation would be a direct result of her acting slutty. Being raped is not a direct result of acting slutty. Someone makes a decision to sexually assault the girl. Something that I wouldn't consider a natural consequence of her behavior.

Being raped could very well be the result of a woman acting slutty. I don't know why that is so hard for people to admit.

EDIT: And to follow up on that with a quote from Trad from another post....

Trad made some good points, but all his points weren't addressed in that one section. Nor does what he says there mean there are no other legitimate points of view.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
He wouldn't have meant final judgment because we are not punished according to our works but for our unbelief.
Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

I never said we should go up to a stripper who had been raped and tell her she got what she deserved. We are discussing reaping what we sow on an internet forum.
I might accept using the concept of reaping/sowing. Still nothing about deserving or earning. As I said before, I don't think sowing/reaping necessarily means deserved.

Being raped could very well be the result of a woman acting slutty. I don't know why that is so hard for people to admit.
And I don't know why it's so hard to admit the opposite. :idunno:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
He wouldn't have meant final judgment because we are not punished according to our works but for our unbelief. I never said we should go up to a stripper who had been raped and tell her she got what she deserved. We are discussing reaping what we sow on an internet forum.

Stripping and being slutty is not unbelief - :duh:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say they were unbelief, PJ. If you can't follow the conversation, it's best to not jump in as if you had a reason to be speaking.

You can't get enough of me :chuckle:

No, you showed we aren't judged on works, therefore God does not judge and punish strippers in the here and now. Try and keep up with reality.

glorydaz

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Paul was speaking of when righteousness came from the law. Paul then goes on to say this...."BUT NOW the righteousness of God without the law is manifested...." and "To declare, AT THIS TIME...."

Romans 3:21-22 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.​

So let's just back up to the verse I was citing. I said Paul would not have been talking about the final judgment, because the final judgment will be based on whether men are believers or unbelievers. Paul speaks of the evil the coppersmith did to him (personally), and asks that the Lord reward him according to his works. I'm sure we can agree that Paul was not being spiteful and damning Alexander as an unbeliever wanting the Lord to send him to hell. Rather, he was asking the Lord to have him suffer consequences right here on earth so that he would learn that doing evil does not pay.

2 Timothy 4:14
Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:​

We see a similar thing here....which speaks to the value of reaping what we sow right here in this life.

1 Corinthians 5:1-2
It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

1 Cor. 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.​

I might accept using the concept of reaping/sowing. Still nothing about deserving or earning. As I said before, I don't think sowing/reaping necessarily means deserved.

Consequences for one's actions are always deserved. Actions have consequences. They may be unintended consequences, but that doesn't remove the fact that they have been earned by the very doing of them.

And I don't know why it's so hard to admit the opposite.

I can't "admit" something that isn't true. :idunno:

Arthur Brain

You are on record for saying that "sluts" deserve rape on here GD, are you going to deny that?

Nobody's advocating that it's a great idea to get sloshed and strip off at a frat party or some equivalent but then she still doesn't deserve it. Is a fashion model asking to get stalked or attacked because she models bikinis and lingerie for magazines?

ok doser

You are on record for saying that "sluts" deserve rape on here GD, are you going to deny that?

borderline retarded, considering what you're responding to

Nobody's advocating that it's a great idea to get sloshed and strip off at a frat party or some equivalent

not retarded :noway:

but then she still doesn't deserve it.

wrong, but still not retarded :thumb:

Is a fashion model asking to get stalked or attacked because she models bikinis and lingerie for magazines?

ohhhhhhhhhh

and you were doing so well, too :(

glorydaz

If a slut gets raped, then I can safely say she got what she deserved. Do you understand the difference between talking about a situation on an internet forum, and going up and shouting in someone's face that they got just what they deserved? Maybe you don't. :think:

Adults can sit around and talk about facts from an objective perspective without making up imaginary little scenarios about how such talk would hurt someone's feelings if they heard what was being said.

Nobody's advocating that it's a great idea to get sloshed and strip off at a frat party or some equivalent but then she still doesn't deserve it. Is a fashion model asking to get stalked or attacked because she models bikinis and lingerie for magazines?

Shut up, Artie. The teeny boppers are listening to music in the next room....go back where you belong. :wave:

Arthur Brain

If a slut gets raped, then I can safely say she got what she deserved. Do you understand the difference between talking about a situation on an internet forum, and going up and shouting in someone's face that they got just what they deserved? Maybe you don't. :think:

Adults can sit around and talk about facts from an objective perspective without making up imaginary little scenarios about how such talk would hurt someone's feelings if they heard what was being said.

Yeh, you think they get what they deserve if they're raped. Not even talking about going up to someone's face and yelling that they deserved it, your view is bad enough without that.

Shut up, Artie. The teeny boppers are listening to music in the next room....go back where you belong. :wave:

Eh, grow up GD else go and join them yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.