On Deservedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorydaz

Now as to whether a person deserves to be raped if they somehow or in someway provoked or brought on themselves the attack,...it would depend on the situation/circumstantial context of this, plus the motives of those involved, both victim and perpetrator.

ADJECTIVE
1.causing annoyance, anger, or another strong reaction, especially deliberately:
synonyms: annoying · irritating · exasperating · infuriating ·

•arousing sexual desire or interest, especially deliberately.
synonyms: sexy · sexually arousing · sexually exciting ·

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The law of self-responsiblity ever holds.......

The law of self-responsiblity ever holds.......

Yeah, God forbid we should suggest that people are somehow accountable for their own bad behavior. That they deserve some consequences for what they do. That is just a bad bad thing to ever suggest.

Hi GD,

As I shared,..it depends on the motives of those involved and situational-context of the event itself, before we evaluate what factors are at work to determine who was at fault or had anything to do to with influencing or provoking a crime being committed, besides who is 'responsible' for anything.

Nowhere have I ever claimed that a person is NOT accountable, for the principle of 'self-responsibility' ever holds. "The law is not mocked, for whatever a person sows, that also he reaps" (the karmic law of compensation ever works itself out wherever any movement or action takes place, - the flow of sequence/consequence; action/reaction; cause/effect; etc.)

All men are responsible for their own sins....definitinely,....and must make reparation for their own sins, by repentance and reformation. Each must atone for their own sins. (no way out of this, even if an avatar, sage or messiah gives a dispensation of grace, or takes on some karma onto himself,...still....you must do the work). None can escape this, if they transgress the law, or act in any way whatsoever, since actions beget consequence. 'karma' means 'action'. - the law is universal. The law of karma is a fundamental principle within Theosophy, among other universal laws.

Anyway, I always taught my kids that when they did something wrong, they should blame the whole thing on their brother, and claim to be innocent. JK ;)

Aha! ;) - we recognize again that the law of 'self-responsiblity' ever holds, as long as one can make choices and actions. It would appear that sometimes we see good people suffer and the wicked prosper,...remember Solomon mulled over this in his writings often, but still concluded that those who respected God and his laws (this includes the universal laws that govern individual and cosmic processes) was the whole duty of man.

We see horrible accidents and crimes being committed against seemingly innocent persons, or persons or situations that seem that the victims may have "brought it upon themselves",...but here one must be careful to make judgments or lay blame, with partial or incomplete knowledge of the factors that went into making an event take place. While the law of karma is ever at work behind the scenes,....some events we cant explain or refer back to a time when a person did sins in the past to somehow deserved their current suffering, so we must be humble, wise and careful about what determinations we 'assume' at any given time.

So many factors are 'conditional' in these situations. While each event may have apparent reasons or causes, much may be beyond our knowledge, so we must leave it to 'God' and let 'grace' balance the scores.

glorydaz

You keep going on and on about a lynch mob and an angry mob. It seems to me that if anybody got hurt by all this, it was Tam.

You see what you want to see, don't you? :think:

There has been a lot of viciousness and name calling, and the vast majority of that came from those who saw our point of view as "blaming the victim". The subject was never personal, except to those who insisted on making it personal by becoming emotionally involved. It was never about "blaming the victim", it was about personal responsibility. It was about everyone being responsible for their own actions....not the actions of others.

I do have to wonder why you keep making such pronouncements, as to how it "seems" to you. Is there some special status you think you are entitled to? Is how it seems to you somehow more worthy of consideration than how it seems to others? Your opinion is somehow worth listening to when another person's is not? :think:

glorydaz

Hi GD,

As I shared,..it depends on the motives of those involved and situational-context of the event itself, before we evaluate what factors are at work to determine who was at fault or had anything to do to with influencing or provoking a crime being committed, besides who is 'responsible' for anything.

Nowhere have I ever claimed that a person is NOT accountable, for the principle of 'self-responsibility' ever holds. "The law is not mocked, for whatever a person sows, that also he reaps" (the karmic law of compensation ever works itself out wherever any movement or action takes place, - the flow of sequence/consequence; action/reaction; cause/effect; etc.)

All men are responsible for their own sins....definitinely,....and must make reparation for their own sins, by repentance and reformation. Each must atone for their own sins. (no way out of this, even if an avatar, sage or messiah gives a dispensation of grace, or takes on some karma onto himself,...still....you must do the work). None can escape this, if they transgress the law, or act in any way whatsoever, since actions beget consequence. 'karma' means 'action'. - the law is universal. The law of karma is a fundamental principle within Theosophy, among other universal laws.

Aha! ;) - we recognize again that the law of 'self-responsiblity' ever holds, as long as one can make choices and actions. It would appear that sometimes we see good people suffer and the wicked prosper,...remember Solomon mulled over this in his writings often, but still concluded that those who respected God and his laws (this includes the universal laws that govern individual and cosmic processes) was the whole duty of man.

We see horrible accidents and crimes being committed against seemingly innocent persons, or persons or situations that seem that the victims may have "brought it upon themselves",...but here one must be careful to make judgments or lay blame, with partial or incomplete knowledge of the factors that went into making an event take place. While the law of karma is ever at work behind the scenes,....some events we cant explain or refer back to a time when a person did sins in the past to somehow deserved their current suffering, so we must be humble, wise and careful about what determinations we 'assume' at any given time.

So many factors are 'conditional' in these situations. While each event may have apparent reasons or causes, much may be beyond our knowledge, so we must leave it to 'God' and let 'grace' balance the scores.

Well, it's nice to see someone who recognizes cause and effect. Pretty much common sense in my book. You've done a pretty good job of describing situational ethics, too. There are two courses available to us. One is the humanistic thinking...that man is the "decider" of what behavior is right and what behavior is wrong. It's why there can be so many opinions of who is at fault and who has no fault. I see there is always one right and wrong, and God is the decider of that. The victim can have her own wrong and the perpetrator can have his own wrong. It then becomes a question of whether one believes bad behavior is deserving of consequences or not. What those consequences are shouldn't be entering into the discussion....nothing should be ruled in or out since that would require more knowledge than we can possible have. Motives, as you say.

Keep it simple. Does bad behavior DESERVE a consequence or does it not? If the answer is yes then the case rests. We can insist such and such does not deserve such and such, but that is all a matter of opinion. Not our decision. The fact that something DOES OCCUR that may or may not be a direct result of that behavior is the elephant in the room that cannot be ignored. Just because some people think it sounds like "victim blaming", doesn't make it so. They don't like it, so it must be wrong.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Action, consequence and destiny........

Action, consequence and destiny........

Well, it's nice to see someone who recognizes cause and effect. Pretty much common sense in my book. You've done a pretty good job of describing situational ethics, too. There are two courses available to us. One is the humanistic thinking...that man is the "decider" of what behavior is right and what behavior is wrong. It's why there can be so many opinions of who is at fault and who has no fault. I see there is always one right and wrong, and God is the decider of that. The victim can have her own wrong and the perpetrator can have his own wrong. It then becomes a question of whether one believes bad behavior is deserving of consequences or not. What those consequences are shouldn't be entering into the discussion....nothing should be ruled in or out since that would require more knowledge than we can possible have. Motives, as you say.

Keep it simple. Does bad behavior DESERVE a consequence or does it not? If the answer is yes then the case rests. We can insist such and such does not deserve such and such, but that is all a matter of opinion. Not our decision. The fact that something DOES OCCUR that may or may not be a direct result of that behavior is the elephant in the room that cannot be ignored. Just because some people think it sounds like "victim blaming", doesn't make it so. They don't like it, so it must be wrong.

:thumb:

I agree with much of the above. The law of cause/effect is vast, universal and far reaching. Such a principle which includes the entire spectrum of what is under the category of 'karmic law' (action/consequence) extends beyond what ripples we can see from our limited context of action/reaction...since previous actions could be unfolding their consequences in our present experience which escapes our conscious recognition or memory, but still unfolding their fruit in the present, while our choices and actions in the "now" are precipitating and molding our future experience of events and inter-actions. However, in the inter-flux of life, we are also conditioned or affected by the actions of others as well, so this inter-play is ever inter-blending, so its makes for an interesting tapestry. Such is life eh?

I may start a thread on 'karma' in due time, since the term is somewhat misconceptualized in the west, as far as the eastern religious understanding of it entails, as its a very fundamental and complex principle, with many aspects, kinds and dimensions, yet this law of cause/effect undergirds and mediates the whole of the cosmic process and the conditions and destinies of all sentient beings. Theosophical literature alone contains vast commentaries on the subject, as well as eastern and western schools, so comprehending a synthesis of all schools we draw closer to understanding the law, in its various movements.

I think we who have answered the OP, have treated the basics here sufficiently, unless other factors for determining 'deservedness' could be explored. I think the word 'deserve' however has its own presumed or 'assumed' air about it, as if any one person could say who deserves what, based on his own definitions of this or that, biasing his own conclusions. In any case, in the light of some divine tribunal or heavenly court, I see every detail and nuance of a case being weighed and judged with perfect wisdom, by Love, mediating to satisfy the demands of both justice and mercy. It must be so, whenever any soul is being 'adjudicated' on any grounds, - hence I fully trust 'God' and the powers(laws) that Be, that there is perfect justice in the cosmos, and that ultimately the divine love and will TRIUMPH. - the karmic law works with the law of progress, since actions are conditioners which work to perfect us by 'experience', since this mortal realm in space-time is the school where we 'learn' via pain, suffering, trial/error, adversity, experience. Its a process of 'earning' by 'learning' ;)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Maybe I'm one of your socks. :chuckle:

Spoiler
56866944.jpg

Thats not a "no" now is it?

not a chance

geefer can't stay away from acw

theophilus

Toss another stone into the pond...

Toss another stone into the pond...

On "deserve"...

Hosea 8:7 - For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind.

Back to the concept (nay Law) of reaping and sowing:

1. Does a homosexual who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of engaging in unprotected sex with multiple partners deserve to get AIDS?

No, this person does NOT deserve to get AIDS. If this homosexual ignores warnings and advice he is "sowing the wind." He may/will "reap the whirlwind" one way or another because we reap what we sow.

2. Does a driver who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of drunk driving deserve to get a DWI?
2a. Does he deserve it if he crashes his car?

No and no. Besides the "Law" of sowing and reaping there is also the "Law" of unintended consequences.

If a drunk driver somehow takes the life or lives of other people he deserves to pay for his crime. That's why we have laws in this country. - May he/she reap the whirlwind.

3. Does a pedophile who ignores warnings and advice about the risks of molesting children deserve to get caught and punished?

No. But I'll pray to God that He will reap the whirlwind.

And then there's this:

1 Cor. 10:23-24: All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.

All things are lawful for ME. Homosexuality, drunk driving and pedophilia are NOT profitable.

If I did those things I would expect to be chastened, re Heb. 12: 5-7: 5 and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
Nor faint when you are reproved by Him;
6 For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines,
And He scourges every son whom He receives.”
7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

Back to "we all deserve Hell." If we are in the Body/Church we still deserve Hell but we don't GET Hell. Grace and love get us what we don't deserve, i.e. Mercy and Forgiveness.

When I sin I am chastened, maybe even with death.

But there is never a time when I do not deserve to reap the whirlwind as a sinner or a saint.

glorydaz

On "deserve"...

Hosea 8:7 - For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind.

Back to the concept (nay Law) of reaping and sowing:

No, this person does NOT deserve to get AIDS. If this homosexual ignores warnings and advice he is "sowing the wind." He may/will "reap the whirlwind" one way or another because we reap what we sow.

No and no. Besides the "Law" of sowing and reaping there is also the "Law" of unintended consequences.

If a drunk driver somehow takes the life or lives of other people he deserves to pay for his crime. That's why we have laws in this country. - May he/she reap the whirlwind.

No. But I'll pray to God that He will reap the whirlwind.

And then there's this:

1 Cor. 10:23-24: All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.

All things are lawful for ME. Homosexuality, drunk driving and pedophilia are NOT profitable.

If I did those things I would expect to be chastened, re Heb. 12: 5-7: 5 and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
Nor faint when you are reproved by Him;
6 For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines,
And He scourges every son whom He receives.”
7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

Back to "we all deserve Hell." If we are in the Body/Church we still deserve Hell but we don't GET Hell. Grace and love get us what we don't deserve, i.e. Mercy and Forgiveness.

When I sin I am chastened, maybe even with death.

But there is never a time when I do not deserve to reap the whirlwind as a sinner or a saint.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. They don't deserve AIDS but they do deserve the "whirlwind"? AIDS is the "whirlwind" we reap here on earth. A person can be saved and still reap what he has sown.

theophilus

I am not responsible for God's whirlwinds.

My sinful nature expects pedophiles to be neutered then killed (humanely).

My sinful nature expects drunk drivers to be chained into their homes.

My sinful nature expects gay people to reap the consequences of their actions.

My divine nature loves them, shares the gospel with them and prays they will be granted salvation unto repentance.

Unfortunately, if someone does bad things to my children I'm just going to shoot them.

Vengeance is the Lord's. DANG!

glorydaz

I am not responsible for God's whirlwinds.

True.

My sinful nature expects pedophiles to be neutered then killed (humanely).

My sinful nature expects drunk drivers to be chained into their homes.

My sinful nature expects gay people to reap the consequences of their actions.

Those are all consequences we may reap in this world. Those are some of the possible consequences for bad behavior. I don't think it's your "sinful nature" that expects that kind of justice. It's simply human nature to recognize that people deserve consequences for their bad behavior. We all may have different consequences in mind, but consequences are deserved....whatever God allows them to be.

My divine nature loves them, shares the gospel with them and prays they will be granted salvation unto repentance.

Indeed, and often times that can only come after someone has learned some lessons about the consequences of wrong doing. When they see they reap what they sow in this world, they are grateful to find out that God will grant mercy to us in the next if we but turn to Him for His free gift of salvation. We may have to pay in the life, but we can be spared in the next.

Unfortunately, if someone does bad things to my children I'm just going to shoot them. Vengeance is the Lord's. DANG!

It's a risk they take. :thumb:

glorydaz

:thumb:

I agree with much of the above. The law of cause/effect is vast, universal and far reaching. Such a principle which includes the entire spectrum of what is under the category of 'karmic law' (action/consequence) extends beyond what ripples we can see from our limited context of action/reaction...since previous actions could be unfolding their consequences in our present experience which escapes our conscious recognition or memory, but still unfolding their fruit in the present, while our choices and actions in the "now" are precipitating and molding our future experience of events and inter-actions. However, in the inter-flux of life, we are also conditioned or affected by the actions of others as well, so this inter-play is ever inter-blending, so its makes for an interesting tapestry. Such is life eh?

I may start a thread on 'karma' in due time, since the term is somewhat misconceptualized in the west, as far as the eastern religious understanding of it entails, as its a very fundamental and complex principle, with many aspects, kinds and dimensions, yet this law of cause/effect undergirds and mediates the whole of the cosmic process and the conditions and destinies of all sentient beings. Theosophical literature alone contains vast commentaries on the subject, as well as eastern and western schools, so comprehending a synthesis of all schools we draw closer to understanding the law, in its various movements.

I think we who have answered the OP, have treated the basics here sufficiently, unless other factors for determining 'deservedness' could be explored. I think the word 'deserve' however has its own presumed or 'assumed' air about it, as if any one person could say who deserves what, based on his own definitions of this or that, biasing his own conclusions. In any case, in the light of some divine tribunal or heavenly court, I see every detail and nuance of a case being weighed and judged with perfect wisdom, by Love, mediating to satisfy the demands of both justice and mercy. It must be so, whenever any soul is being 'adjudicated' on any grounds, - hence I fully trust 'God' and the powers(laws) that Be, that there is perfect justice in the cosmos, and that ultimately the divine love and will TRIUMPH. - the karmic law works with the law of progress, since actions are conditioners which work to perfect us by 'experience', since this mortal realm in space-time is the school where we 'learn' via pain, suffering, trial/error, adversity, experience. Its a process of 'earning' by 'learning' ;)

Well, that's a little too "cosmic" for me. I understand what you're saying, but you could tighten this up a bit and you'd find a very personal God who knows the number of hairs on our heads. One who cares more than the cosmos ever could. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When you start a series of threads on rape and then a thread on deservedness and ask if people should be held responsible for their actions don't be surprised when someone makes a point to say that rape is never a responsibility someone should face. :plain:

Exactly, like I sated early in this thread. The word deserve makes the answer no. An expectation is more appropriate.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Very few of us get what we deserve...
Some deserve a swift kick in the patootie (Prov. 3:11, 12). :idunno:

We all deserve to rot in hell, but because of Jesus Christ I won't.

Ezra 9:13 (thank you glory)

13 And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;

Good thing we don't get what we deserve. :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.