Obeying Jesus' teachings or commands is requirement for salvation.

achduke

Look, I will prove to you how ignorant your statement is.

You said obeying is proof that you are saved.

SO THEN, IF YOU DO NOT OBEY THEN YOU PROVE YOU ARE NOT SAVED!

So obey and be saved!!!

Correct. Here are people that do not obey and show they are not saved.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

God's Truth

No, it proves you are disobedient. (And likely not saved...)

I have a powerful testimony.

You cannot hurt this child of God.

Jesus Christ himself saved me. You false accuser of the brethren.

I believed in God and Jesus my whole life since I was a very small child.

Jesus did not save me until I started to obey him.

You think you were saved because you heard a false teacher and he tickled your ear.

HisServant

Are you against OP verses?

You don't think Jesus is commanding to obey Him?

Jesus (God) commanded the Israelites to obey the 10 commandments and the levitical law. God knew they would not follow it and still had to send Jesus to die on the cross.

Who is going to die on the cross now when you fail to obey today? Is Jesus going to have to return and die again?

God's Truth

Correct. Here are people that do not obey and show they are not saved.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

So then, do you now agree with me that we have to believe AND OBEY TO BE SAVED and to STAY SAVED?

achduke

So then, do you now agree with me that we have to believe AND OBEY TO BE SAVED and to STAY SAVED?

I think once you are saved you want to obey. You need have to have faith and believe first. Then the obeying part starts. First you get the milk then the meat. You do not start eating meat.

God's Truth

I think once you are saved you want to obey.

We have to obey if we WANT to get saved.

Jesus makes his home with those who repent of their sins and call on him. THAT IS WHAT JESUS SAYS.

You need have to have faith and believe first. Then the obeying part starts. First you get the milk then the meat. You do not start eating meat.

You will have no milk if you do not do what Jesus says.

achduke

We have to obey if we WANT to get saved.

Jesus makes his home with those who repent of their sins and call on him. THAT IS WHAT JESUS SAYS.

You will have no milk if you do not do what Jesus says.

Repenting and calling on him is belief. After that it is time to obey. If you did not believe then why obey in the first place?

Also what should we obey first?

In Acts 21:25 when did they command the Gentiles to follow the 10 commandments?

They started with the sins many Gentiles were already committing at that time.

Acts 21:25 "But concerning the Gentiles who believe, we have written and decided that they should observe no such thing, except that they should keep themselves from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality."

Where is the rest of the law in Acts 21:25?

These people were starting to attend synagogue. They most assuredly would learn more and more about the law in synagogue.

Shasta

Believing in Christ is obedience because God commands us to do it. Faith is inseparable from the surrender of the self to Him.

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." (John 3:36)

The word for disobey according to Strong's Concordance is apeitheó which means...to disobey.

Thayers Greek Lexicon defines apeitheóas "to refuse or withhold belief (in Christ, in the gospel; opposed to πιστεύω): τῷ υἱῷ, John 3:36; τῷ λόγῳ, 1 Peter 2:8; 1 Peter 3:1; absolutely of those who reject the gospel, (R. V. to be disobedient; cf. b.): Acts 14:2; Acts 17:5 (Rec.); ; Romans 15:31; 1 Peter 2:7 (T Tr WH ἀπιστοῦσιν).

In the symmetry of this verse faith in Christ (which brings the gift of eternal life) is juxtaposed with the exactly opposite response of NOT OBEYING Him. Not believing in Him = not obeying Him just as believing in Him = obeying Him.

Faith and obedience are inseparable, a fact that was acknowledged in Early Christianity. It only became an issue many centuries later with the advent of antinomian versions of the Gospel when people began to associate any act of the will with the meritorious self-efforts of the Pharisees. This is why the Second century heretics, the Marcionites, excluded from their canon all scriptures but the writings of Paul.

The Epistle of 1 John speaks a lot about the necessity of obedience as a part of ones faith. Some people in an effort to silence John's clear message have tried to discredit his writings as no longer applicable to believers, John who was one of the closest and longest lived of all Jesus' disciples.

heir

TOL Subscriber
This is the progression of responses.

me>Jesus blotted them out 2k years ago through his work. We just believe in that work so we are justified. It's good news

him>We have to access that GRACE by having living faith. You have to confess and repent of your sins and call on his name.

me>True true

So in saying that what part is it that you disagree with?
It's matters not that I disagree, it's that neither of you are in agreement with the scriptures. GT is a gospel perverter often adding requirements to salvation that God does not require of anyone today as she did when you agreed with her.

We are made partakers of God's promise in Christ by the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) and it is by the faith OF Jesus Christ that we have boldness and access (Ephesians 3:12 KJV). We trust the Lord(trust His faith and finished work as sufficient to save us) after hearing and believing the word of truth, the gospel of our salvation and are saved and sealed (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV)!

achduke

1. John 14:15
◦New King James Version
“If you love Me, keep My commandments.

2. John 14:21
◦New King James Version
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

3. John 15:10
◦New King James Version
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

4. 1 John 2:3
◦New King James Version
The Test of Knowing Him ] Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

5. 1 John 2:4
◦New King James Version
He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

6. 1 John 3:22
◦New King James Version
And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

7. 1 John 3:24
◦New King James Version
The Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Error ] Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

8. 1 John 5:2
◦New King James Version
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.

9. 1 John 5:3
◦New King James Version
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

10. Revelation 12:17
◦New King James Version
And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

11. Revelation 14:12
◦New King James Version
Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

And here is confirmation from Jesus of keeping Ten commandments as requirement.

Matthew 19:16-19
New International Version (NIV)
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[a] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’

Matthew 3:10
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Many of these are about loving God and Christ along with having faith. Do you love God and Christ before or after you believe?

Aimiel

The OP says: "Obeying Jesus' teachings or commands is requirement for salvation." Scripture doesn't say that. Nowhere. No how. It says, quite to the contrary: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved," and again: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

We can see that Jesus wants us to obey His Word and it is very good to do so; but it is NOT a requirement of salvation. This is works, not grace... doing good to obtain God's approval. It's called: religion. Religion is men trying to make themselves acceptable to God. Christianity is God, accepting men as they are. He certainly changes our hearts into a heart of flesh and puts His Laws in us and makes us love to do His Will but He doesn't require that we do ANYTHING to be saved. If He did, there would be no more grace, only works. It is His Goodness that leads men to repentance, not ours. It is our salvation and His Presence inside of us that gives us love for the brethren (indeed even for sinners) and causes us to ache to do His Will, but He doesn't require anything except faith in Christ to give us eternal life.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Many of these are about loving God and Christ along with having faith. Do you love God and Christ before or after you believe?

It is all about condition of being saved.

Why is it so hard to understand?

Jesus was not sent to give us permission to sin freely.

Aimiel

Men sin freely WITHOUT permission. Why would He need to give men permission? He forbade Adam and Eve to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge. That's what made it more attractive to them.

achduke

It is all about condition of being saved.

Why is it so hard to understand?

Jesus was not sent to give us permission to sin freely.

You are misunderstanding having Grace and faith. They are not a license to sin. By the Grace of God once we believe in Christ, God will send us his spirit to lead us not to sin. We are no longer fleshly minded but instead are in the Spirit.