No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickwoman

Originally posted by PureX

....A "gift" that isn't really a gift at all, but a threat. To me this has always been the point where religion left God and struck out on it's own ugly and manipulative path.

I agree that our own free will is responsible for some of our suffering. But I don't agree that free will is responsible for it all. Accidents and disease are not the result of free will, yet they cause is a lot of suffering. And any claim that accidents and disease are divine punishments or lessons is just plain silly. Even the bible denies this.

I'm not so sure I believe in free will at all. We are all so caught up in the circumstances of our lives. And, the decisions we make are what we believe is right at the time, based on what we've learned from our circumstances. And if we can't choose the circumstances into which we are born, what can we choose?

As much as I whale on the fundies around here, I was one myself for 20 years or more and the point is, it was all I knew. It was the best I could do. Later, things changed, but only because I was ready to change, based on certain life altering events over which I had no real control.

Originally posted by PureX I think the big mistake that religion makes is that it never really lets go of it's paganist superstitions. It imagines that life's circumstances are an expression of God's personality. This is the very definition of superstition. And once religion starts down this road, it has to begin making up excuses for why bad things happen to good people, and why a "good" God would let them. Whereas if we could eliminate the superstition, and it's connecting God's "personality" to life's circumstances, we could begin to be more realistic in our ideas about life's suffering.

What have you got against Pagans? ;) I'm not sure what you mean by connecting God's personality to life's circumstances. Are you talking about those who say God is paying everyone back for the evil they do by punishing them with disease and unhappy circumstances? I do know people who think like this. That every little thing that happens is a result of God's intervention. I haven't gotten them to explain what God has against starving Ethiopian children yet, but they're working on it.

Originally posted by PureX
But most religions don't want to give up their superstitions. It's their most powerful tool when it comes to enforcing their will and manipulating their participants. It's what holds them together. Without the threat and attraction of divine retribution they have little to offer anyone, or so they believe.

Superstitions are somewhat comforting. For instance, I really like to think that the full moon has some special power. I admit it's unscientific. Just this morning when I was looking at the moon stationed so beautifully over the lake, it was a golden color and so bright, it was fun to think that it would affect me in some positive way.

On Fire

Originally posted by Zakath
You wrote the following: Everyone CAN be saved. Some choose not to be.

The Bible states: ...God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. - I Tim. 2:3b-4

I would assume you are not presuming to directly contradict scripture, so you must be asserting that human will is more powerful than your god's will.
There is absolutely nothing contradictory here. And just because you and wickedwoman can quip about free will doesn't make it any less godly and true. You don't understand it....BIG SURPRISE!!!

[Inigo Montoya voice on...]
"That word, you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
[Inigo Montoya voice off...]

The god you describe is not all powerful by any standard definition of the word.

My words that you continuosly misinterpret and twist by the power of Satan describe an all powerful God. The fact that YOU can't see it speaks more to your blindness than anything else.

wickwoman

Originally posted by On Fire

Isn't K-Mart running a special on fairy dust? Run along.

Dear On Fire:

If you disagree with my summary of your views on freewill, feel free to point out where I've gone astray. Your continual insults are only evidence of your lack of substance. You don't even know what you believe.

wickwoman

Is this your "summary"?

Originally posted by wickwoman
Fundamentalist Thinking on Free Will in a Nutshell

God created perfect because he is perfect.
Adam screwed up because Adam had free will
Just because Adam had the chance to do the right thing and did the wrong thing doesn’t mean he wasn’t perfect, he just made bad choices.
Though God says he wants everyone to be saved and has the power to do it, he wouldn’t usurp our free will by making us go to Heaven, that would be a violation of our freedom of choice!

Basically, because God is so wonderful, we have the free choice to burn for eternity if we choose not to love him back. Isn’t he GREAT?!

PureX

Originally posted by wickwoman I'm not so sure I believe in free will at all. We are all so caught up in the circumstances of our lives. And, the decisions we make are what we believe is right at the time, based on what we've learned from our circumstances. And if we can't choose the circumstances into which we are born, what can we choose?

As much as I whale on the fundies around here, I was one myself for 20 years or more and the point is, it was all I knew. It was the best I could do. Later, things changed, but only because I was ready to change, based on certain life altering events over which I had no real control.
Our free will is limited, but within those limitations we are free to choose for ourselves. I may not be free to choose to levitate at this moment, but I am free to choose whether to sit, stand, walk, or run.

I agree that we're only as free as we are able to see alternative possibilities, but even as a fundi, you were always free to see alternative possibilities, and there were many of them - you had just chosen to believe that ALL other possible views were wrong, as this is what the people who loved you were telling you, and to challenge this idea would mean going against them. But all that means is that your other choices were difficult, not that you didn't have them.
Originally posted by wickwoman I'm not sure what you mean by connecting God's personality to life's circumstances. Are you talking about those who say God is paying everyone back for the evil they do by punishing them with disease and unhappy circumstances? I do know people who think like this. That every little thing that happens is a result of God's intervention. I haven't gotten them to explain what God has against starving Ethiopian children yet, but they're working on it.
Yes - the "virgins in the volcano" view of existence. Superstition is the belief that natural phenomena is the result of gods or spirits expressing their personalities through physical conditions, and that humans can in turn effect the "mood" of these gods and spirits through a physical response. The "fire god" is angry and so is making the volcano rain down fire, but we can appease his anger by giving him a virgin.

Christianity has never really let go of the idea that life's difficulties are the result of God's mood toward us and that we can in turn effect God's mood by doing what God wants of us. The old testament is full of this, and even though the new testament tries to put an end to this kind of manipulative superstition, it never really succeeds. The "editors" were religionists, and they just couldn't resist holding on to the use of superstition to maintain their power and control over people. Religious leaders can never really let go of this kind of superstition because it works so well for them as a tool of manipulation. That's why they teach that what God wants most is that you believe in their religion. That's always rule #1, of course, because that puts them (as the perveyors of that religion) in charge. Then once they threaten you into accepting their view of God as God's will for you to believe, they can use their view of God to keep you doing what they want.

For most people religion is all about control and manipulation. Some people really want to be controlled, and to be told what to think and what to do all the time because they don't trust themselves to do these things on their own. Other people really want to tell other people what to think and what to do all the time because they think the view of reality in their minds is reality itself, and they keep wanting to "correct it" according to their own will. These folks find each other through the naturally manipulative phenomena of human fear and superstition and become mutually dependent upon each other. Most people want to imagine that they can control their fate because they're frightened by the idea that they are not in control of their own fate, so they call fate "God" and pretend that they can control this "God" by giving him a personality that they can appease through some declaration or behavior or sacrifice or whatever. And this becomes their religion. This becomes their life. This is their "relationship with God".
Originally posted by wickwoman Superstitions are somewhat comforting. For instance, I really like to think that the full moon has some special power. I admit it's unscientific. Just this morning when I was looking at the moon stationed so beautifully over the lake, it was a golden color and so bright, it was fun to think that it would affect me in some positive way.
The key, though, is that you are aware that these thoughts are superstitious, and are not founded on objective evidence. Human beings are naturally superstitious, and it can be a wonderful gift when we use it to inspire metaphor, and illuminate natural beauty, and help us find values that we might otherwise miss. But when we forget that it is superstition, we can become slaves to our own over-active imaginations, and we can lose our grasp of objective reality all together.

Last edited:

On Fire

God created perfect because he is perfect.
Adam screwed up because Adam had free will
Just because Adam had the chance to do the right thing and did the wrong thing doesn’t mean he wasn’t perfect, he just made bad choices.
Though God says he wants everyone to be saved and has the power to do it, he wouldn’t usurp our free will by making us go to Heaven, that would be a violation of our freedom of choice!

Basically, because God is so wonderful, we have the free choice to burn for eternity if we choose not to love him back. Isn’t he GREAT?!

Can you tell me why you wouldn't love someone who loves you, accepts you as you are, and forgives you every time you screw up?

wickwoman

Can you tell me why you wouldn't love someone who loves you, accepts you as you are, and forgives you every time you screw up?

Possibly because I didn't like having my arm twisted.

Possibly because I didn't believe he existed.

Possibly because I believed he had another name.

Possibly because I had an aversion to loving someone I've never seen nor spoken to.

Possibly because it doesn't look likes he's loving me if he's sending me to eternal torment.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
There is absolutely nothing contradictory here.
So the idea that an allegedly omnipotent being wills something to occur (salvation of all mankind) and a bunch of hairless primates (humans) can keep the will of the almighty from ocurring doesn't seem to be contradictory to you?

If your deity was almighty then his will could not be frustrated in any fashion - except by a higher power...

:think:

And just because you and wickedwoman can quip about free will doesn't make it any less godly and true.
But your deity doesn't have free will. He cannot do anything against his nature, unlike we humans.

We have free will, he doesn't.

You don't understand it....BIG SURPRISE!!!
The "surprise" is that I understand it quite well. You're the one who seems to be holding onto a concept for which you change the definition every few minutes...

My words that you continuosly misinterpret and twist by the power of Satan describe an all powerful God.
Ah, so now there's something else besides humans that are more powerful than your all powerful deity?

It's getting crowded up here on the stage. :chuckle:

The fact that YOU can't see it speaks more to your blindness than anything else.
Or, more likely, to your advanced state of delusional thinking. :think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Dave Miller

Are the sheep in the fold the slaves, or the ones outside
the fold who are unprotected from the wolves, and therefore
slave to the whims of the wolves?

djm
Sheep exist solely to be slaughtered for food and shorn for clothing of the shepherd and his family.

Sorry, I never was very comfortable with the idea of being food or clothing for some deity.

On Fire

Sheep exist solely to be slaughtered for food and shorn for clothing of the shepherd and his family.

Sorry, I never was very comfortable with the idea of being food or clothing for some deity.

But you're apparently quite comfortable playing ignorant so good luck with that.

Granite

Hall of Fame

But God does not accept us as we are: not the God of the Christian church, anyway. The CHURCH requires us to change, in ways big and small. "Come as you are" sounds good on paper, but that's about it.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by lighthouse
Free will is God's will. So it does not override His will.
If that is true, then how do you explain some Christians' contention that the exercise of human free will can contravene the will of the deity?

He [God] createsd us with free will, so that we had the freedom to actually choose Him, rather than be "brainless walking muppet dolls."*
I assume that the asterisk means something, but your meaning got lost somewhere... :think:

Why would a completely self-sufficient deity do such a thing?

But tha freedom does come with a price, and that price is that some may not choose Him. He knew that from the beginning, but He loved us so much that He was willing to pay that price in order to get what He wanted, for us to genuinely love Him.
Why does such a thing matter? He's complete within himself, he doesn't need love. Even the idea that he wants love indicates a need that, by definition, the Christian deity cannot have.

Granite

Hall of Fame

But you're apparently quite comfortable playing ignorant so good luck with that.

Playing ignorant? Riiiiight. The ignorance within the church concerning its origins, history, traditions, and scripture is absolutely stupefying. Scholars and theologians aren't trained in seminaries anymore. Salesmen are. (Saleswomen, too, depending on what seminary.)

Most Christians are clueless about their church, where they are, or where they're going. Modern Christianity is completely adrift without any sense of its background or nature.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by ilyatur
...URLs are fine...

If you spend half the time actually researching the topics you claim to be discussing as you did composing memetically empty replies you'd actually be able to get somewhere with an argument.

:rolleyes:

Back in the 1980's Dennis McKinney wrote extensively on biblical errancy including a couple of pamphlets and more than 190 editions of Biblical Errancy magazine...

That should provide a good primer on the topic.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

So the idea that an allegedly omnipotent being wills something to occur (salvation of all mankind) and a bunch of hairless primates (humans) can keep the will of the almighty from ocurring doesn't seem to be contradictory to you?
How is that contradictory?

God's will was to create beings with a will apart from His. In other words... He delegated that they have the ability to truly make their own decisions. He wanted us to have our own will. So that's how He created us!

Yet at the same time God desires that all men choose eternal life.

Like any parent God desires what is good for His children but like any good parent He isn't going to force or coerce them. Good parents allow their children to make their own decisions when they become adults.

There is simply nothing contradictory or illogical about that. You may reject it (which is fine with me) but don't make the claim it is contradictory because it is not.

elohiym

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Longer A Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Longer A Christian

Really! I always thought it was like pulling a very long rope with something heavy at the end, like all that dead weight of Christians who are resting in their "eternal security."
Now I understand why God impressed me to end my dialogue with you. :down:

Perhaps you should accept your spelling mistakes with a little more grace, and less venom towards God's children.

Granite will have NO eternal security until HE embraces the gospel. What do you offer him? Karma? Isn't that just a legalistic works religion where you earn the right to be voidness by doing more good than bad?

As for you, just remember what Bhuddah taught. The odds of YOU being reincarnated as a human being are astronomical, like a turtle coming up through a yoke adrift at sea by chance; so make sure you only say and do good things so you don't really come back as a leech.

Your comment, which I found offensive being a Christian that is resting presently in his eternal security, earns you some bad karma, lady. I see a murky pond in your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.