NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know that I ever told Tet, but the Steelers was my favorite team as a kid.

You told me.

I understand where you're coming from. Since you don't have NFL football in Alabama, you can pick whatever team you like. When I was a kid, I was a huge Boston Celtic's fan due to Larry Bird, and because Pittsburgh didn't have an NBA team. Then I switched to San Antonio. Now, I'm kinda a Cleveland Cav's fan.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jerry.

Since the merger, the Steelers have had two 5 win seasons, and four 6 win seasons. They have never finished with fewer than 5 wins.

However, the Cowboys have had three 5 win seasons (all in a row from 2000-2002), and three 6 win seasons, and on top of that, the Cowboys finished 3-13 in 1988, 1-15 in 1989, and 4-12 in 2015.

IOW, since the merger, the Cowboys have really, really, really, sucked numerous seasons, whereas the Steelers never had such a bad season.

Daniel1769

Jerry.

Since the merger, the Steelers have had two 5 win seasons, and four 6 win seasons. They have never finished with fewer than 5 wins.

However, the Cowboys have had three 5 win season (all in a row from 2000-2002), and three 6 win seasons, and on top of that, the Cowboys finished 3-13 in 1988, 1-15 in 1989, and 4-12 in 2015.

IOW, since the merger, the Cowboys have really, really, really, sucked numerous seasons, whereas the Steelers never had such a bad season.

The Steelers have been a good team since the 70's. Plus, never went under .500 in the Roethlisberger-era, in which they have so far won 3 AFC championships and 2 Superbowls.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pittsburgh is still relevant all these years later. In this millennium,

The Steelers have had ONE losing season this millennium.

The Cowboys have had SIX losing seasons this millennium, and went 8-8 three straight years (2011-2013)

The Cowboys have sucked this century !!!!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Plus, never went under .500 in the Roethlisberger-era,

That's correct.

The Steelers have finished .500 or better (including this year) every year since Roethlisberger has been here.

That's 13 straight seasons of finishing .500 or better.

Daniel1769

That's correct.

The Steelers have finished .500 or better (including this year) every year since Roethlisberger has been here.

That's 13 straight seasons of finishing .500 or better.

Yes, the Steelers are historically and presently one of the greatest franchises in the NFL, and are showing now that they have the chops to go all the way this year. The offense is hot. The defense is getting it together. Meanwhile the Cowboys are probably going to fall apart, and Jones is talking about starting Romo.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Steelers have been a good team since the 70's.

Since 1970, they have been the best team.

Since 1970, they have the most regular season wins, most playoff wins, highest winning percentage, largest margin of victory, most Super Bowl wins, most division titles, most Conference Championships hosted, lest amount of points given up, and fewest coaching changes.

They are tied for most Super Bowl appearances, and most Conference Championship appearances.

Daniel1769

Since 1970, they have been the best team.

Since 1970, they have the most regular season wins, most playoff wins, highest winning percentage, largest margin of victory, most Super Bowl wins, most division titles, most Conference Championships hosted, lest amount of points given up, and fewest coaching changes.

They are tied for most Super Bowl appearances, and most Conference Championship appearances.

Amen

Daniel1769

If I owned the Cowboys, I would start Romo.

Tony Romo is one of the best QB's in the league. With Romo, Dez, Witten, and Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys are the best team in the NFC.

I would start him too, but the Cowboys were pretty much saying Prescott is the man now, and now they're like "nevermind!"

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would start him too, but the Cowboys were pretty much saying Prescott is the man now, and now they're like "nevermind!"

I feel sorry for Jerry Jones.

If he stays with Dak, and the Cowboys lose in the playoffs, he will be called an idiot for not going with Romo. If he switches to Romo and the Cowboys lose in the playoffs, he will be called an idiot for not staying with Dak.

Daniel1769

I feel sorry for Jerry Jones.

If he stays with Dak, and the Cowboys lose in the playoffs, he will be called an idiot for not going with Romo. If he switches to Romo and the Cowboys lose in the playoffs, he will be called an idiot for not staying with Dak.

That's true, but I don't feel bad for him. haha

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You told me.

I understand where you're coming from. Since you don't have NFL football in Alabama, you can pick whatever team you like.
I tended to identify with a core of players and when they were gone I'd find another group. It began with the QB. That's how I happened on the Colts and Captain Comeback. I liked the way he competed. Then Peyton went to Indy and I was in. I haven't felt as attached to them with Luck. I suspect that's partly because of Peyton playing elsewhere and the way that was handled. I liked the Pats for a moment before they did the same sort of thing to Bledsoe. Not Brady's fault, but between that and his off the field persona I knew that wasn't going to be my team, so I rooted for Denver a little and hoped to feel better about my Colts at some point.

This year? I haven't even watched much. I've mostly read the stat lines and looked in on this and that.

When I was a kid, I was a huge Boston Celtic's fan due to Larry Bird, and because Pittsburgh didn't have an NBA team.
Also a Celtics fan. I loved the history of the franchise.

Then I switched to San Antonio.
I like Pops and I liked Duncan. I remember when he fist came in and was briefly paired with the Admiral.

Now, I'm kinda a Cleveland Cav's fan.
I don't have an active rooting interest in the NBA these days. Not sure if I will or if that train has sailed. :eek: I was happy for Cleveland, considering. Wasn't a fan of the Magic when he went there, but going home and giving that city a winner was a feel good story that was hard to root against. Now? :idunno: The NBA needs a dynasty or a villain or a transcendent player with charisma to match. GS might have the makings of a dynasty, but we're a couple of crowns and challenges to see. Can Cleveland defend? Will another team surprise?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If I owned the Cowboys, I would start Romo.
Exactly. He said all the right things and the point was that Dak was getting it done. But the team is well positioned and one of the best qbs in the league, when healthy, is healthy.

They need to start him at least one regular season game to knock the rust off. They can play it like they did with another qb once upon a time and tell everyone they're "resting" Dak. Then, when Tony wins a couple they can use the "hot hand" bit. But it needs to start now.

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at this realistically.

Since their beginning the Steelers have won a championship about once every 14 years.

On the other hand, since their beginning the Cowboys have won a championship every 11 years.

Since their beginning the Steelers have appeared in a championship game every 10 years.

On the other hand, since their beginning the Cowboys have appeared in a championship game every 7 years.

Since their beginning the Cowboys have a winning percentage which will never be matched by the Steelers.

Jerry Shugart

Correct, but there are FIVE Hall of Famers from the offense of that same team:

Terry Bradshaw
Franco Harris
Mike Webster
Lynn Swann
John Stalworth

As great as that defense was, it was Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swan that spanked those Cowboy teams in those two Super Bowls.

In Super Bowl XIII, Bradshaw had 300 passing yards at halftime.

Yes, with all those Hall of Famers you listed and the four on defense the Steelers only beat the Cowboys by four points in both games. If Dallas would have gotten any breaks in either game they would have won.

Of course the Steelers have always been lucky, as witnessed by the Immaculate Reception of '72.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tough, tough week coming up. Lot's of bizarre match ups and injury questions...

Week 15

1. LA @ Sea: Seattle is a 14.5 fav. and the only question is whether the Rams can get that new coach bump to skew a point spread that should be made by a Seahawks team that underperformed last week. Will this be the GB/TB Seattle or the New England/Carolina beating monster? I don't know, but so far losses have led to a big rebound. I'm betting on that and the averages. Seattle.

2. Mia @ Jets: Miami is a 2.5 fav. The Fins are playing solid ball on average. The Jests needed overtime to beat SF and spoil a four loss streak. Someone has to win. Why not Miami?

3. Cle @ Buf: in the battle of Who Cares Hill the Bills are a 9.5 fav. as Vegas tries to manufacture some reason to pay attention. The differential is closer to 18, so it's more likely than not that the Browns will continue their march in unvictorious infamy in style.

4. GB @ Chi: The Packers come to town a 6.5 favorite on the heels of a late season resurrection. Meanwhile, the Bears played a hot Lions close in a 3 pt loss with their back up turned starter. To me this is one where I could see Green Bay struggling on the road, but pulling it out with a 3 to 5 pt edge. I could see them winning by two scores or better too, unfortunately. . . Given the size of the line, Rodgers strained calf and the Bears playing better without Cutler I'm going to go for this one to be closer than the line, meaning I'll take Chicago.

5. Pit @ Cin: The Steelers are a tight 3.5 favorite, meaning the half point is incentive out of Vegas. :think: The differential covers the pts, barely. It's a bare bones line. I'll bite on the half point and look for an 23-18, or 21-17 margin.

6. Det @ Gia: Two solid teams looking for playoff push. The line is for the Giants by a whopping 4.5. That's a lot against Detroit...unless Eli catches fire I like this one by a fg or to go the other way, so I'm in with the visiting team in a close contest.

7. Ten @ KC: The Titans are moving in the right direction, but KC is already there and favored by 5.5 pts. The differential is 5.4 and my model has this one a 4 pt contest, so that's a big ask. What moves it for me is looking at recent history. KC put up pts against that still potent Denver defense that held the Titans to one td and a couple of fgs in last week's win. Or, I'm more comfortable with the thought of KC moving against a decent defense than I am Ten putting up points against that Chief's secondary and pressure. I'll take the Chiefs to cover.

8. Ind @ Min: The Vikings are a 4.5 fav. I'd take the Colts but I'm not even sure Luck is playing at this point. Too many questions to know what to do with this. Bradford is banged up too. I'll play the averages and go with the underdog and a close game. Indy.

9. Phi @ Bal: The Ravens are a 6.5 fav. No reason to doubt them at this point. Philly hasn't been able to put up points against stout defenses. Baltimore has one. I don't see a pt fest here, but I like the Ravens to do enough on defense to cover.

10. Jac @ Hou: Oh, bother...Houston is a 6.5 fav. And it's not that I have any faith in the Jags, but when how often has Houston put up more than a two to three tds? And how often hasn't Jacksonville gotten a couple? I look for Jac to score a couple and Houston to make around twenty. That's not quite enough to go with Houston. Give me the pts here going the other way.

11. SF @ Atl: Only the 13.5 line for Atlanta makes this remotely interesting. Unless they're resting, Atlanta's diff is larger than that. Even with Julio taking a breather I like Atlanta by a couple. Falcons.

12. NO @ Arz: uh-oh....the Cardinals are a marginal fav at 2.5, which is surprising given the diff is closer to 4. Something working there, but I'll take the Cardinals at home.

13. NE @ Den: Brady enters the contest a 3.5 fav. Denver can't afford the loss. The funny thing is, Denver is really playing about as well as they did in their SB year. Last year Denver gave up 18.5 pts a game. This year? 18.6 Last year the offense managed 22.2 pts a game. This year? 22.8 Last year they gave up 283 yds a game/this year it's 310. New England is a little off their offensive pace from last year, but has made up the difference with improved defense.

Everyone said Manning rode that defense to a ring. I'm not so sure his leadership/presence wasn't the difference maker. Because despite the statistics, no one is really afraid of this Broncos team, even with Trevor playing, statistically, much better than the 2015 Peyton and his defense holding solidly.

Anyway, I still think this is a fg contest, so I'm taking the upset line.

14. Oak @ SD: The Raiders are a 2.5 road fav over the Chargers. The differential is actually closer and my model has this thing a haywire either/or game I'd walk away from if I wasn't picking every game. I'll take the Chargers to break hearts in Oakland.

15. TB @ Dal: The Cowboys are a sizable 7.5 fav at home. The question is, should they be? As it sits I like Dallas to win, but I'm not going to go for that many points given the blueprint on hand for frustrating Dak. Now if they rest him and start Romo, rust notwithstanding, I like the Cowboys...but they won't. They'll wait until they put too much on Tony, if then. That's Dallas.

16. Car @ Was: Washington is a 4.5 fav. The diff is Washington by 6 and I like them by a td, so I'm in with Washington sending the Panthers another post SB loss let down game.

Jerry Shugart

OK Sports Fans:

Pittsburgh -3
Cincinnati

I gotta go with the Steelers here. No way that the Bengals can stay within three points of the football team from Pittsburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.