NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Shugart

Bradshaw was 2-0 against Staubach in Super Bowls.

Here are the combined stats from Super Bowl's X and XIII:

Bradshaw: 527 yards.....6 TD's....1 INT.

Staubach: 432 yards.....5 TD's....4 INT's.

Of course you failed to mention that both of Bradshaw's wide receivers are in the Hall of Fame while none of Staubach's are. In the 1979 Super Bowl between the two teams Dallas' tight end Jackie Smith dropped a sure touchdown in the end zone which would have tied up the game. Dallas ended up losing by four points.

It is not hard to imagine that if Smith would have made that easy catch then Dallas would be the team with six Super Bowls and not the Steelers.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dallas ended up losing by four points.

The Steelers led 35-17 with just over 6 minutes left in the game.

Dallas scored 2 late TD's during "garbage time". The game was already over, it was never close in the fourth quarter. The Steeler dominated the Cowboys.

BTW, Roger Staubach was sacked 12 times in both Super Bowls. L.C. Greenwood had 5 of those 12 sacks, including 4 in Super Bowl X.

To put 4 sacks in one game into perspective, there isn't a player in the NFL this season who has 4 sacks in one game as of this post.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pittsburg had a span of 38 seasons where they did not even win one playoff game.

Funny that you failed to mention that!

Probably because I wasn't alive to remember it.

My memory only goes back to the merger in 1970.

Since the merger, no team has dominated the NFL like the Pittsburgh Steelers have.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is not hard to imagine that if Smith would have made that easy catch then Dallas would be the team with six Super Bowls and not the Steelers.

I can play this game too.

If Neil O'Donnell would have hit a wide open Yancy Thigpen instead of throwing an INT to the Cowboy's Larry Brown, the Steelers would have seven Super Bowl rings, and the Cowboys only four.

Jerry Shugart

My memory only goes back to the merger in 1970.

How convenient!

I remember when I first started watching pro football the Steelers were the laughingstock of the NFL!

If Neil O'Donnell would have hit a wide open Yancy Thigpen instead of throwing an INT to the Cowboy's Larry Brown, the Steelers would have seven Super Bowl rings, and the Cowboys only four.

Maybe O'Donnell could have completed that pass if he was given ten chances to do it. On the other hand, the pass to Jackie Smith in the end zone was right in his hands and he dropped it.

Jerry Shugart

The Steelers led 35-17 with just over 6 minutes left in the game.

Dallas scored 2 late TD's during "garbage time". The game was already over, it was never close in the fourth quarter. The Steeler dominated the Cowboys.

If Jackie Smith had not dropped that pass in the end zone and forced Dallas to kick a field goal then the game would have been tied.

By the way, Staubach was the hightest rated passer that year in the NFL.

Jerry Shugart

OK Sports Fans:

Pittsburgh -3
At Cincinnati

This is the surest bet I have seen in a long time. There is no way that Cincinnati can stay within three points of Pittsburgh. The Steelers have too much fire-power and the Bengals defense is not that strong this year.

So I take the Steelers -3.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's exactly right.

Manning made the right plays at the right time to help win games even in light of a poor offense.

Siemian is a good young player but seems to make too many poor decisions early and digs too big of a hole every game. He might be a good QB at some point but not yet.

Its all about Dallas now. Can they move the chains against Denver?

Yeah, my take about Denver is pretty much off the table right now losing at home 13-3 in the third.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, my take about Denver is pretty much off the table right now losing at home 13-3 in the third.
They're effectively done. They'd need to win out to have a shot. The problem is mental error and inconsistent line play. I saw a number of stupid penalties and dropped passes that impacted the game. They're committing fewer overall penalties this year, doing better on offense and playing close to the same defense, yet they're almost mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

They're missing the X factor that Manning exuded. They played smarter with him when it mattered.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hated this week. At one point late I was on the verge of 9-1. Then KC and Baltimore folded on me. Happily, I turned on SD before the lock down, so I'm at an irritating 9-5, but man...now I need Dallas or Washington to keep my 10 win or better streak alive. :smack:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A couple of notes.

There's been some question about whether or not Alex Smith is the problem on a talented team. I like Smith, but I suspect the concerns are legitimate. Today KC took a 17 -7 lead into half time. They never scored again, while giving up twelve pts in the 4th to lose the contest.

Alex? He had a 51% completion percentage, throwing for 163 yds, 5.8 avg., 0 tds to 1 int and a rating of 56.1. When his team needed it, nothing.

My other irritating loss? Detroit. Okay, they were a dog, but that should have been a closer game. I can forgive Stafford coming up small against that defense, but not 0 Tds to 1 int small. Meanwhile, Eli hit them for 2 tds against 0 ints and a qb rating of 115. This team wins enough to get into the playoffs and he does that, look out.

The Vikings have completely imploded. Turner's decision to exit is looking smarter by the minute. Indy made the once scary Vikings look cartoonish. Can a coaching change be far removed? :idunno:

My best upset pick (against the spread) was taking Chicago to stay close to Green Bay.
Second best? Calling Jacksonville to blow up the point spread against Houston.

The one I want back? Denver. I really like this team, but let's hope their waiting draft pick can translate his college X factor to the pros.

Jerry Shugart

Hated this week. At one point late I was on the verge of 9-1. Then KC and Baltimore folded on me. Happily, I turned on SD before the lock down, so I'm at an irritating 9-5, but man...now I need Dallas or Washington to keep my 10 win or better streak alive. :smack:

I guess that you lost with Dallas because you took them minus seven. Right?

Good luck with Washington tonight!

beloved57

My Falcons looking good, did what they should of done against a bad San Francisco team, but I don't think Carolina or New Orleans will be that easy. These will be two tough division games, but if our offense plays up to its capabilities, I like our chances to win both games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I guess that you lost with Dallas because you took them minus seven. Right?

Good luck with Washington tonight!
I really hate this part of the season...but yeah, I was hosed late by no less than three picks who should have carried. Ah, well. Washington is a nervous pick, but what the heck. I can live with 9 if I have to.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My Falcons looking good, did what they should of done against a bad San Francisco team, but I don't think Carolina or New Orleans will be that easy. These will be two tough division games, but if our offense plays up to its capabilities, I like our chances to win both games.
You've got a puncher's chance against anyone in the NFC. New Orleans will test your defense and Carolina...will be looking to make a statement going into the off season, so it's a good warm up for the playoffs.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I'm looking forward to another Pats-Giants SB, where Brady and Manning square off without the X factor of Tom Coughlin this time. :)

Daniel1769

With 2 weeks to go, I'm predicting:

Giants win NFC Championship
Giants: 24
Packers: 20

Steelers win AFC Championship
Steelers: 27
Raiders: 17

Steeler win Superbowl
Steelers: 27
Giants: 20

john w

Hall of Fame
The Dallas Cowboys have officially peaked. Short them at market. They had a fine season.

Status
Not open for further replies.