NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Don't worry Bronco nation all is good we signed Mark Sanchez. :doh: :rotfl:
Well, his career stats are marginally better than Peyton's were last year...so...but really, his last two years with a decent team weren't half bad. His rating through nine games in 2014 was excellent. He's at least a solid back up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Comparing a few great qbs present and past from regular season to post, completion percentage, average per pass and overall rating in performance. The order is most to least post season games. I used the three larger metrics to look at performance. How accurate were they. How short or long were they with the ball and what was their overall.

Brady
RS: 63.6%, 7.4 avg, 96.4
PO: 62.4%, 6.7 avg, 88.0
PO games: 31

Peyton

RS: 65.3%, 7.7 avg, 96.5
PO: 63.2%, 7.1 avg, 87.4
PO games: 27

Favre
RS: 62.0%, 7.1 avg, 86.1
PO: 60.8%, 7.4 avg, 86.3
PO games: 24

Joe Montana
RS: 63.2%, 7.5 avg, 92.3
PO: 62.7%, 7.9 avg, 95.6
PO games: 23

Young
RS: 64.3%, 8.0, 96.8
PO: 62%, 7.1, 85.8
PO games: 22

Elway
RS: 56.9%, 7.1 avg, 79.9
PO: 54.5%, 7.6 avg, 79.7
PO games: 22

Roger Staubach
RS: 57%, 7.7, 83.4
PO: 54.4%, 6.8, 76.0
PO games: 21

Bradshaw
RS: 51.9%, 7.2 avg, 70.9
PO: 57.2%, 8.4 avg, 83.0
PO games: 19

Dan Marino
RS: 59.4%, 7.3, 86.4
PO: 56%, 6.6, 77.1
PO games: 18

Jim Kelly
RS: 60.1%, 7.4, 84.4
PO: 59.1%, 7.1, 72.3
PO games: 17

Troy Aikman
RS: 61.5%, 7.0, 81.6
PO: 63.7%, 7.7, 88.3
PO games: 16

Aaron Rodgers
RS: 65.1%, 8.0 avg, 104.1
PO: 63.8%, 7.4 avg, 98.2
PO games: 14

Kurt Warner
RS: 65.5%, 7.9 avg, 93.7
PO: 66.5%, 8.6 avg, 102.8
PO games: 13

Otto Graham
RS: 55.8%, 9.0, 86.6
PO: 53%, 7.0, 67.4
PO games: 12

Drew Brees
RS: 66.4%, 7.5 avg, 95.8
PO: 65.9%, 7.6 avg, 100.7
PO games: 11

Bart Starr
RS: 57.4%, 7.8, 80.5
PO: 61.0%, 8.2, 104.8
PO games: 10

Phillip Rivers
RS: 64.8%, 7.8, 95.5
PO: 60.3%, 8.0, 85.2
PO games: 9

Johnny Unitas
RS: 54.6%, 7.8 avg, 78.2
PO: 53.1%, 7.4 avg, 68.9
PO games: 9

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Observations based on my last post.

1. There's not much to distinguish the play of the two greatest qbs of their generation. Peyton is the marginal king of the regular season and Brady has a slight advantage post at position, at least when you factor in last year. Take that out and Manning wins both, but again, marginally.

2. Favre, Montana, Bradshaw and Aikman, Warner, Brees and Starr actually played better in the post season than the regular season.

3. Elway appears to mostly be remembered for his home runs, not his averages. The same with Bradshaw, though his post season play is superior.

4. Graham and Unitas get more pub and hype, but Starr ruled the old guard roost in terms of how he played the position.

5. Warner should have been first ballot.

6. Kelly is lucky to have been, given.

7. Rodgers is playing better than anyone has for the same time frame, though last season took a little luster off of it.

8. If Drew Brees had consistently better teams he'd be as joined as Tom and Peyton in the greatest of a generation talk.

9. I forgot Rivers...that seems to be the historic case, which is too bad. He's a terrific qb. (edit: added) But one with a thin post season resume.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
2. Favre, Montana, Bradshaw and Aikman, Warner, Brees and Starr actually played better in the post season than the regular season.

One of these is not like the others in his regular season, which is the vast majority of the career. His interception % is an incredibly bad 5.4. His rating is below mediocre journeymen, then jumps 13 points in the playoffs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
One of these is not like the others in his regular season, which is the vast majority of the career. His interception % is an incredibly bad 5.4. His rating is below mediocre journeymen, then jumps 13 points in the playoffs.
Bradshaw was simply a home run hitter who found his shot in the biggest game. I like him in the Hall for that, but I don't put him in the best of discussion for the same reason.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bradshaw was simply a home run hitter who found his shot in the biggest game. I like him in the Hall for that, but I don't put him in the best of discussion for the same reason.

I wonder if he is no better than Jeff George but is a statistical anomaly. Jeff George is said to have killed the Wonderlic test with a 10. :plain:

I also wonder if this test is like the military ASVAB, and certain people that process info a certain way just can't do it. Marino, according to the chart I just looked at scored a 15 and Bradshaw scored a 16. We do know that plenty of terrible QBs have high scores. Colin Capernick comes to mind. I read on my CBS sports feed the Browns are talking to him. And apparently Al Davis's team is making much better choices without him.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
A better metric is QB efficiency rating which includes that very important one you listed. That was used exclusively until recently because of the rule changes. It measures everything per pass attempt, not completion. The rules change brought about looking at it a little different with Total QBR. The measurement no longer looks at going 5 of 7 passing for the game as being productive. Where as 20 of 28 is productive, but not more efficient. I like using both standards.
I can visualize attempts between picks very easily, and probably because I've been a fan with both Parcels and Belichick as head coaches over the past 20 years or so, I've come to see turnovers as of particular importance. If a QB goes many more attempts between picks than others, then that is more than a QB---that guy has half a spot on defense too, because we usually attribute turnover ratios to the defense when the offensive turnovers are within average range. It's not correct to say so, it's more a feeling, and a reflection of policy, but when a QB is head and shoulders above the competition in the number of pass attempts that he can log without throwing a pick, it's the opposite of diminishing returns. Every play more that a QB can go is even more important than the last.

That's why I transformed interception percentage into attempts per pick instead, because of this belief. Brady goes 50 attempts between picks in the regular season, and in SBs, he tacks on another 10 consecutive attempts between them. Andrew Luck is very close to Brady in this metric, part of the reason I like him so much. But Aaron Rodgers is out of this world.

And because of this, I don't understand why Rodgers isn't the talk of the town round here. It's all about the rings with me, of course, so that explains why I don't talk him up, but why not anybody else? I wonder.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I wonder if he is no better than Jeff George but is a statistical anomaly. Jeff George is said to have killed the Wonderlic test with a 10. :plain:

I also wonder if this test is like the military ASVAB, and certain people that process info a certain way just can't do it. Marino, according to the chart I just looked at scored a 15 and Bradshaw scored a 16. We do know that plenty of terrible QBs have high scores. Colin Capernick comes to mind. I read on my CBS sports feed the Browns are talking to him. And apparently Al Davis's team is making much better choices without him.
OTs score the highest on the test among NFLers, if Wiki is to be trusted today, followed by centers, and then QBs.

'Learn something every day. :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

To put it in perspective, a score of 21 is roughly indicative of an average IQ, at 100. A 29 is roughly 115. A 36 would be about 132.

So Cam is average, Fitzpatrick is high Mensa material. Rodgers is probably high gifted. That sort of thing.

The median Wunderlic for an engineer is 29. A teacher or business executive, 28.

A few of the qb scores:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 48
Blaine Gabbert 42
Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Flynn, Stafford, Kaepernick, 38
Luck, Romo 37
Bradford 36
Rodgers, Ponder, 35
Tannehill 34
Brady, 33
Ryab 32
Rivers 31
Dalton 29
Peyton, Brees, Wilson, Manuel 28
Flacco 27
Palmer, Cutler 26
Ben 25
RGIII 24
Cam Newton 21

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I recorded the NFL network last week when they broadcasted from the Ohio State pro-day. They said all teams were in attendance with scouts. However, I noticed that Mike Tomlin was there in person. You know he likes his Big Ten players. The Big Ten has some depth on defense this year.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looks as though Lacy has shed the extra lbs. If he's fixed that problem look for another great year out of him for Green Bay. Reason for Packer fans to smile.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What QB do the clowns take? A franchise QB who needs time, or Goff who might beat out RG3 in camp.

Laremy Tunsil put up 34 reps on the bench at the Ole Miss pro-day. He didn't need to, but I would officially be surprised if he is not Marriotas LT next season with the first pick. He is more Joe Thomas than Orlando Pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.