NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Having the offensive coordinator and the QB coach be the same person is a huge advantage. Yet many have a different voice on the headset working with the QB during the game than the did during practice week. Never made sense to me. I would not be surprised if he takes time off but by Oct or Nov is itching to be involved.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I think he'll retreat to private life and just manage his business ventures from here on. :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So now half the media shoveling dirt over him after the Seahawks loss and the benching are talking about how much Peyton still had in the tank. :plain:

Anyway, seeing a lot of chatter about GOAT discussions. Some idiot said rings matter then put Favre ahead of Peyton. I'm rarely surprised these days by how little the average fan knows about his favorite sport, how easily led they are by whatever ESPN talking head rambling is making the rounds, that sort of thing.

Peyton summed his greatness aptly. He said there were other more talented players at the position but that no one out prepared him and that was why he was satisfied with his career...I think that's exactly right. No one will ever argue he possessed a great arm, great mobility or athleticism. His brother is reputedly the smarter of the two. But no one worked harder at maximizing his talent than Peyton, getting every last bit of advantage he could within the rules. And that's what separates him. Put that head on Rodger's body and God knows what the record book would look like by the time he finished. He's the Pete Rose (absent a gambling scandal) of his sport. And that's one of the reasons I think the average fan feels differently about him. We understand and appreciate ability, but we feel effort.

Is Peyton the greatest to play the position? Not to me. To me it's Joe for a few reasons. Does Peyton deserve consideration? Absolutely. He's earned the respect.

In fact, there is a Metric that can raise Peyton above his competition in the conversation. What are the most difficult accomplishments in the NFL? There are two: Super Bowl wins and MVP awards. The first requires a complete team effort, the second is more about the individual at his position. At his position, no one retires more honored than Peyton, with 5 MVPs. He also has two rings. So that's seven SB and MVP combined. Brady has him on team accomplishment, but comes up short on MVPs and trails in total, by one. He might catch or pass that with the time left, or he might not. Montana is done and stands at 6, collectively. Bradshaw has a total of five (4SB/1MVP). Rodgers, with a combined 3 is the only active player other than Tom within striking distance and with a few miles left on the tread.

So if you want to you can make the case that Manning merits the crown. But I think the better course is simply to admire the hustle, quietly keep your guy in your hip pocket for that "If I started a team with anyone" debate, and nod to the sort of athlete we wish there were more of, appreciate the time we had to watch him and close the book that was a joy to read.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That's an interesting metric, Town. Since league MVP awards reflect an individual's performance apart from his team's performance, what is your thought on SB MVP awards? That must be another measure of individual performance then, no? Or perhaps you're thinking that an award for a single game is far less important? I believe if we weight them all evenly, and if my math is right, that Joe would have 9, Brady 9, and Manning 8?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's an interesting metric, Town. Since league MVP awards reflect an individual's performance apart from his team's performance, what is your thought on SB MVP awards? That must be another measure of individual performance then, no? Or perhaps you're thinking that an award for a single game is far less important? I believe if we weight them all evenly, and if my math is right, that Joe would have 9, Brady 9, and Manning 8?
I wouldn't raise a game MVP to the level of the game itself or of a season long award. Point of fact, I'd weigh the MVP's more heavily at the position, but given how only one team and one individual get either in a given year I thought I'd forgo any additional weighting.

In any event, Montana is the Ruth of football to me, but I think you can and some will make the argument for Peyton. Like Brady, he belongs in the conversation.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So now half the media shoveling dirt over him after the Seahawks loss and the benching are talking about how much Peyton still had in the tank. :plain:

Anyway, seeing a lot of chatter about GOAT discussions. Some idiot said rings matter then put Favre ahead of Peyton. I'm rarely surprised these days by how little the average fan knows about his favorite sport, how easily led they are by whatever ESPN talking head rambling is making the rounds, that sort of thing.

Peyton summed his greatness aptly. He said there were other more talented players at the position but that no one out prepared him and that was why he was satisfied with his career...I think that's exactly right. No one will ever argue he possessed a great arm, great mobility or athleticism. His brother is reputedly the smarter of the two. But no one worked harder at maximizing his talent than Peyton, getting every last bit of advantage he could within the rules. And that's what separates him. Put that head on Rodger's body and God knows what the record book would look like by the time he finished. He's the Pete Rose (absent a gambling scandal) of his sport. And that's one of the reasons I think the average fan feels differently about him. We understand and appreciate ability, but we feel effort.

Is Peyton the greatest to play the position? Not to me. To me it's Joe for a few reasons. Does Peyton deserve consideration? Absolutely. He's earned the respect.

In fact, there is a Metric that can raise Peyton above his competition in the conversation. What are the most difficult accomplishments in the NFL? There are two: Super Bowl wins and MVP awards. The first requires a complete team effort, the second is more about the individual at his position. At his position, no one retires more honored than Peyton, with 5 MVPs. He also has two rings. So that's seven SB and MVP combined. Brady has him on team accomplishment, but comes up short on MVPs and trails in total, by one. He might catch or pass that with the time left, or he might not. Montana is done and stands at 6, collectively. Bradshaw has a total of five (4SB/1MVP). Rodgers, with a combined 3 is the only active player other than Tom within striking distance and with a few miles left on the tread.

So if you want to you can make the case that Manning merits the crown. But I think the better course is simply to admire the hustle, quietly keep your guy in your hip pocket for that "If I started a team with anyone" debate, and nod to the sort of athlete we wish there were more of, appreciate the time we had to watch him and close the book that was a joy to read.

Brady is clearly the best. Manning isn't even in his league. :nananana:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:noway: Now Denver loses Osweiler too!
Elway wasn't going to invest the kind of money and length Osweiler's agent wanted for an unproven commodity. I think I'd trust Elway. He won a Super Bowl with the lowest rated starter on the year. He can find someone to fill in while he drafts the next guy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And this is for kmo...maybe John was surprised. Maybe he goes back and asks Peyton to reconsider and help his team out while he drafts the new guy. :reals:

Brady is clearly the best. Manning isn't even in his league. :nananana:
You should read an article by Mr. Smith from ESPN. He looked at the numbers and called it a wash, though Peyton has a .1 edge in measurable rating, post season. :eek:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Elway wasn't going to invest the kind of money and length Osweiler's agent wanted for an unproven commodity. I think I'd trust Elway. He won a Super Bowl with the lowest rated starter on the year. He can find someone to fill in while he drafts the next guy.

Unproven, sure, but what else is out there? And Osweiler did go 5-2. If Denver can hold onto that defense then maybe Osweiler would be enough. :idunno:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:noway: Now Denver loses Osweiler too!

Who will they have at QB next season??

There are several franchise QBS available in the draft, but in my non-expert opinion, they are not ready. It will help to have a QB for a coach and GM.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
New polling data reported on Yahoo.com has the public response to Deflate Gate and where they come down in terms of credibility. 43.4% favor the NFL, 40.3% don't know, and 16.3% favor Tom Brady.

In New England the numbers are slightly different, with 58% siding with Brady, and the rest really trying not to say anything out loud. :plain:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So let's see.... Brock gets a chance to takeover a Super Bowl caliber team but opts to go to a QB black hole for some extra pocket change. Wacky!

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
New polling data reported on Yahoo.com has the public response to Deflate Gate and where they come down in terms of credibility. 43.4% favor the NFL, 40.3% don't know, and 16.3% favor Tom Brady.

In New England the numbers are slightly different, with 58% siding with Brady, and the rest really trying not to say anything out loud. :plain:
Maybe it's just that we're seeing the actual 2014 versus 2015 season stats, and noticing, that if Brady was cheating in 2014, he was only hurting himself. :plain: He didn't gain any edge. So what kind of cheater is that? Who cheats, to give himself a disadvantage?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So let's see.... Brock gets a chance to takeover a Super Bowl caliber team but opts to go to a QB black hole for some extra pocket change. Wacky!
Less pressure. He goes to a team with some talent that hasn't won anything and gets to be part of a quick build. If he stays with Denver he knows the team is taking a few free agent hits and the likelihood of repeat SB performances after a qb shift...how often has that happened? Elway would relatively low ball him and likely short term him. Put those together and staying might have looked like a road leading to diminishing returns.

Or maybe he's immature and the benching made the decision for him. He's thinking he outplayed Manning during his streak and got pulled in a big game because of the team play and watched a SB from the bench. That might have felt like a rare opportunity being taken from him. Maybe he means to show John why the Broncos should have stuck with him and make them pay a little for the embarrassment...who knows? It can't have been that much of a difference in money and he cut off talks early. I say it's likely a combo of the hard to follow and hurt pride.

Stupid move. Elway looks like he knows how to build a team that wins.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Attempts per pick, career, reg season / in SB (number of SBs in parentheses).

Actives
Brady 51.9 / 61.7(6)
Rodgers 62.3 / undefined(1)
Rivers 39.5 / NA(0)
Brees 39.4 / undefined(1)
Luck 48.4 / NA(0)
Roethlisberger 36.9 / 10.0(2)
Manning, E. 31.3 / 74.0(2)

Retired/former
Manning, P. 37.4 / 31.0(4)
Montana 38.8 / UNDEFINED(4)
Bradshaw 18.6 / 21.0(4)
Marino 33.2 / 25.0(1)
Elway 32.1 / 19.0(5)
Kelly 27.3 / 20.7(4)
Warner 31.8 / 44.0(3)
Tebow 40.1 / NA(0)

Another interesting metric.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Attempts per pick, career, reg season / in SB (number of SBs in parentheses).

A better metric is QB efficiency rating which includes that very important one you listed. That was used exclusively until recently because of the rule changes. It measures everything per pass attempt, not completion. The rules change brought about looking at it a little different with Total QBR. The measurement no longer looks at going 5 of 7 passing for the game as being productive. Where as 20 of 28 is productive, but not more efficient. I like using both standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.