NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Maybe it's just that we're seeing the actual 2014 versus 2015 season stats, and noticing, that if Brady was cheating in 2014, he was only hurting himself. :plain: He didn't gain any edge. So what kind of cheater is that? Who cheats, to give himself a disadvantage?
No one, though not everyone who cheats profits by it. And a number of very talented athletes have any number of pointless, superstitious rituals that, outside of their attitude about performance, have no real bearing on how they then perform during a game. At best they draw psychological comfort from them. My only initial concern was for the impact of this apparent accommodation on other skill position players. A ball that's easier to grip should translate to a ball that's easier to hold onto and catch, by way of...at this point it's mostly about Brady failing to fully comply with NFL discovery requests and how he justified it. That obstruction is what the NFL is hanging its hat on.

Beneath that and to the real power players it's about the collective bargaining power the players union ceded the commissioner on the point, which they're using the suit to regain.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think he is on the verge of a dynasty, even if they don't repeat this year. Having great ownership certainly helps.
Hard to argue against and, again, given how far they got with mostly poor play at the qb position, it isn't really that hard to match or better it. There are a couple of free agent possibilities who could run the offense well enough while the Broncos develop the next guy, or you could throw the next guy in early and let him work out the kinks in a nominal retooling year.

They should consider talking to the Bengals about AJ. Strong, smart and athletic. He'd be a good fit in Denver.

GuySmiley

Hate to say it, but the Raiders appear to be doing free agency the right way. They are signing talent and not overpaying. They could be a surprise team next year. On the other hand, nobody knows how to waste talent like the Raiders.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On the other hand, nobody knows how to waste talent like the Raiders.
Are you not familiar with the Browns?

With the Texans doing what they did, it makes me think OBrien is not taking Christian Hackenberg. Hackenberg was one of the most talented QBs to come along in a while. And his freshmen year at PSU was good, under O'Brien. James Franklin and getting sacked by the dozen really hurt his game the next two years, and maybe his development. If it was just talent, he would be the first pick. I wonder how far he falls.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
A better metric is QB efficiency rating which includes that very important one you listed. That was used exclusively until recently because of the rule changes. It measures everything per pass attempt, not completion. The rules change brought about looking at it a little different with Total QBR. The measurement no longer looks at going 5 of 7 passing for the game as being productive. Where as 20 of 28 is productive, but not more efficient. I like using both standards.
:up:

I think it's interesting, given Montana's obvious superiority in this one metric in SBs (4 games, 122 attempts and 0 picks), to notice how others have fared, comparing their career regular season interception rate with their SB performance. Some obviously rise to the occasion (Brady, Montana, Warner, even Bradshaw and especially that bugaboo Eli) while others (Elway, Kelly) obviously do not.

It would certainly be nice to see Rodgers get at least a couple more SBs in there to see how good he can really be, because he is head and shoulders above everybody in this one metric in the regular season and his one SB was flawless. Also, I'd like to see what Luck can do; hopefully he can lead his team to some SBs.

Though it is, like any stat, only telling one part of the story, as you said.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Stupid move. Elway looks like he knows how to build a team that wins.
Yeah no doubt.

I wanted Brock to be our starting QB next year but he isn't worth what the Texans offered him. To get some perspective here the Houston Texans will be paying Brock Osweiler more than the Seahawks pay Russel Wilson. :kookoo:

That my friends is just plain nuts.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wanted Brock to be our starting QB next year but he isn't worth what the Texans offered him. To get some perspective here the Houston Texans will be paying Brock Osweiler more than the Seahawks pay Russel Wilson. :kookoo:

That my friends is just plain nuts.
Texas feels the clock ticking and is gambling. Denver doesn't have to and who wants the next Flynn/Kolb/Mallet on their resume?

Are you not familiar with the Browns?
Don't be too hard on him. Not even the Browns front office is that familiar with them.

:up:

I think it's interesting, given Montana's obvious superiority in this one metric in SBs (4 games, 122 attempts and 0 picks), to notice how others have fared, comparing their career regular season interception rate with their SB performance. Some obviously rise to the occasion (Brady, Montana, Warner, even Bradshaw and especially that bugaboo Eli) while others (Elway, Kelly) obviously do not.

It would certainly be nice to see Rodgers get at least a couple more SBs in there to see how good he can really be, because he is head and shoulders above everybody in this one metric in the regular season and his one SB was flawless. Also, I'd like to see what Luck can do; hopefully he can lead his team to some SBs.
What about Phil Simms?

Simms: 22/25, 88% comp, 268 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 150.9 passer rating (two of the passes hit wrs in the hands and were dropped). :plain:
Rodgers: 24/39, 62% comp, 304 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 111.5 rating

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
What about Phil Simms?
I picked guys sort of randomly. I tried to include those especially who've been in a few SBs, but now that I've got more time, here are some others:

Simms 29.6 / undefined(1)
Aikman 33.4 / 80.0(3)
Favre 30.3 / 69.0(2)
Simms: 22/25, 88% comp, 268 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 150.9 passer rating (two of the passes hit wrs in the hands and were dropped). :plain:
Don't get me going on this type of thing. We both know that but for two miraculous receptions by the GIA, Brady'd have two more rings. :plain:
Rodgers: 24/39, 62% comp, 304 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 111.5 rating
Like I said, it'd be nice to see more SB appearances from this guy. :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Don't get me going on this type of thing. We both know that but for two miraculous receptions by the GIA, Brady'd have two more rings. :plain:
That wind can blow in more than one direction though. When he was only a pretty good qb he pocketed two or three rings by a Vinatieri. :eek: And you could argue that given the disparity of production and talent between those teams going into the SB it should never have been anything like that close.

Like I said, it'd be nice to see more SB appearances from this guy.
He's young enough, but needs some more help and a psychological rebound from last year.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We both know that but for two miraculous receptions by the GIA, Brady'd have two more rings.

If not for filming practice, Brady would have 3 less. The Rams miraculously dropping would be interceptions twice (they caught his third pick) didn't help either.

Kurt Warner is a nice guy, so he won't say it. I will. Millions know and say and rightly booed Brady at the Super Bowl, the Bonds/McGwire/Sosa of the NFL. The booing was about the Patriots as a team, not just because he likes a little less air.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If not for filming practice, Brady would have 3 less. The Rams miraculously dropping would be interceptions twice (they caught his third pick) didn't help either.
You could as easily argue that but for Adam and a bone headed mistake by Seattle Brady beats out Kelly as the guy who got there but came up empty the most. There's a certain element of luck involved in most contests.

If Warner had a defense on that Arizona team he'd have been the first with two rings from different teams and likely already be in Canton. If Simms isn't hurt and gets the second ring...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow.... did Kubiak rub everyone the wrong way??? Heck they are all leaving. CJ Anderson just signed an offer sheet with the Dolphins.

I guess when you win a Super Bowl all the free agents know they can turn that into extra cash in their pockets.

I still think the most important parts for Denver (other than QB) are still in place.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wow.... did Kubiak rub everyone the wrong way??? Heck they are all leaving. CJ Anderson just signed an offer sheet with the Dolphins.

I guess when you win a Super Bowl all the free agents know they can turn that into extra cash in their pockets.

I still think the most important parts for Denver (other than QB) are still in place.
They are and the same hands that built it are going to keep what they need and let a few luxuries go.

Speaking of, this bit about Brock should be a comfort for those inclined to wring those hands.

"During Super Bowl media week, Osweiler was asked who he would rather have at quarterback if he need to win one game—Peyton Manning, or John Elway? This was Osweiler’s response, per Yahoo!’s Frank Schwab: “Myself,” Osweiler said after very little hesitation, with no further explanation."

Riiight. That's the sort of mature perspective you simply can't buy...and shouldn't try to.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The guy probably had private videos on his phone and he didn't want potential NFL perverts to somehow retrieve "deleted" files that he can't be sure aren't really deleted. I would have done the same thing and so would you. Why can't we just give the guy the benefit of the doubt?

And, maybe this one wasn't a miracle, maybe just an absolutely incredible catch---but this one absolutely was a miracle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_Catch

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hue Jackson, new coach of the Browns fired Johnny Manziel today. I guess that is one good thing about being a new hire, you get to point out others mistakes of the past.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But you have to give him credit. Brock is pretty good at restraining himself at the pizza joint.
Eye of the tiger, man. Eye of the tiger.

Hue Jackson, new coach of the Browns fired Johnny Manziel today. I guess that is one good thing about being a new hire, you get to point out others mistakes of the past.
Let the speculation begin. Will anyone take him cheap on a short leash?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Denver has begun its rebuilding of the qb situation by trading a conditional pick to the Eagles to bring Sanchez into the fold.

The Pats drop Chandler and LeFell, freeing up nearly five million in cap space. They need to get Gronk some help. This should help them do it. They just signed Chris Hogan away from Buffalo. He's still in his prime and was under utilized by the Bills. The Pats think he's a smart addition. Time will tell.

The Jets pick up Chicago rb Forte. Worth it for the Jets for his ability as another pair of capable hands and there's still a couple of years left in the legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.