NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzal

The NY Giants are probably the best team in that division.

If they knew how to not blow leads with less than 2:00 minutes left, they would be leading the division by a few games.
That may be true, but does it really mean anything given the competition? It is like winning a Pinewood Derby competition when you are eight...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That may be true, but does it really mean anything given the competition?

Just remember....last year the Carolina Panthers finished 7-8-1, and then beat the Cardinals in the first round of the playoffs.

If the Giants somehow win the NFC East, they would in all likelihood host the Vikings or Seahawks in the first round at East Rutherford.

Also, there's a good chance the Seahawks will have to play the Packers in Green Bay in the first round. That would be a rematch of last year's NFC Championship Game.

Quetzal

Just remember....last year the Carolina Panthers finished 7-8-1, and then beat the Cardinals in the first round of the playoffs.

If the Giants somehow win the NFC East, they would in all likelihood host the Vikings or Seahawks in the first round at East Rutherford.
Certainly possible. Once the playoffs are finalized, anything after that is up for grabs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Right now it's looking more like a potential rematch in the Super Bowl. Seattle is playing their way back into scary form. I think they can go anywhere and win right now. Arizona looks shakier to me, though they're in the mix. Carolina is solid, but they still haven't mostly had to beat anyone and I want to see what happens when they get punched in the face, say, by a now very different Seahawks.

Looks like it's Seattle, Carolina and Arizona as the most serious NFC contenders. I like New England and Pittsburg in the AFC, with KC occupying an Arizona like seat. AJ will have to have an incredible learning curve to give the Bengals any hope for more than a quick playoff exit.

Dark horses? In the AFC it's Denver. If Peyton can get healthy by playoff time with that defense they can't be counted out. On the NFC side? A Packer team playing to its potential.

Quetzal

Right now it's looking more like a potential rematch in the Super Bowl. Seattle is playing their way back into scary form. I think they can go anywhere and win right now. Arizona looks shakier to me, though they're in the mix. Carolina is solid, but they still haven't mostly had to beat anyone and I want to see what happens when they get punched in the face, say, by a now very different Seahawks.

Looks like it's Seattle, Carolina and Arizona as the most serious NFC contenders. I like New England and Pittsburg in the AFC, with KC occupying an Arizona like seat. AJ will have to have an incredible learning curve to give the Bengals any hope for more than a quick playoff exit.

Dark horses? In the AFC it's Denver. If Peyton can get healthy by playoff time with that defense they can't be counted out. On the NFC side? A Packer team playing to its potential.
The crazy thing with the Steelers is, despite their record, they pretty much have to strike off the sheet to get there.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The crazy thing with the Steelers is, despite their record, they pretty much have to strike off the sheet to get there.

I find KC more intriguing. If KC wins out, and Denver loses two of three to Pittsburgh, Cincy, and SD; KC wins the division, and Denver might not even make the playoffs.

KC could win the division, and Pittsburgh and NY Jets would be the wild card teams.

Pittsburgh can win all 3 of their remaining games, and not make the playoffs, or they still could be the #2 seed and get a first round bye.

There's a lot of bizarre scenarios in the AFC. The only team safe is the Patriots.

Quetzal

I find KC more intriguing. If KC wins out, and Denver loses two of three to Pittsburgh, Cincy, and SD; KC wins the division, and Denver might not even make the playoffs.
I would be okay with that. Let's face it, Peyton hasn't played well and they don't look like the same team there were last year.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Yep, I think Pittsburgh is the dark horse of the AFC. They could be a dangerous team in the playoffs. Just have to make it there.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
They posed for a group photo while the game with Atlanta was still going on.

Spoiler
capture_20151213_151045-e1450041978205.jpg

I hadn't heard about that. Very poor form. :nono:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I would be okay with that. Let's face it, Peyton hasn't played well and they don't look like the same team there were last year.
They look better on defense and they just have to win enough without Peyton to let him mend, assuming he can in time. The ony thing wrong with Peyton was that he was getting beaten up under that horrible, needles offensive switch and when you take away the legs of a qb with an average arm you get ducks and dinner.

He's been a pretty healthy qb over the years, but that's one thing age can change. It would have been nice to see him have a chance at a healthy season, but Gary essentially shot that in the foot with the under center behind a sieve of a line notion.

The backup so many were ready to see replace Peyton clearly wasn't and isn't a short term answer. The only question now is if he can heal enough to lead them or if it's time to consider the next phase of life, coaching or commentating.

As for the Steelers. If they can pull this off they're good enough, even without Bell, to match up with anyone.

Quetzal

They look better on defense and they just have to win enough without Peyton to let him mend, assuming he can in time. The ony thing wrong with Peyton was that he was getting beaten up under that horrible, needles offensive switch and when you take away the legs of a qb with an average arm you get ducks and dinner.

He's been a pretty healthy qb over the years, but that's one thing age can change. It would have been nice to see him have a chance at a healthy season, but Gary essentially shot that in the foot with the under center behind a sieve of a line notion.

The backup so many were ready to see replace Peyton clearly wasn't and isn't a short term answer. The only question now is if he can heal enough to lead them or if it's time to consider the next phase of life, coaching or commentating.

As for the Steelers. If they can pull this off they're good enough, even without Bell, to match up with anyone.
Personally, I think the Steelers are good enough if it were to end today. However, we have already discussed that it is a bit stupid, given their record and performances, that they are listed "in the hunt" in the same way Dallas is. :mmph:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hadn't heard about that. Very poor form. :nono:

When Lee Corso was still sane he told the story of doing it as the head coach at Indiana. I laughed when they said it on Gameday years ago. Then they showed the picture and it solidified his status to be a boss.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
AJ McCarron will start for the Bengals this Sunday.

McCarron played at Alabama.

Alabama hasn't had a QB start and win an NFL game in 28 years.

The last Alabama QB to start an NFL game, and win, was Jeff Rutledge in 1987 (Rutledge had TWO career wins as a starter)

Since then, Mike Shula, Jay Barker, Brodie Croyle and Greg McElroy have been the only Alabama QB's to make an NFL roster.

Shula and Barker never played a down, McElroy was 0-1, and Croyle was 0-10 in games they started.

Will McCarron break Alabama's 28 year streak of not having a QB start and win an NFL game?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
AJ McCarron will start for the Bengals this Sunday.

McCarron played at Alabama.

Alabama hasn't had a QB start and win an NFL game in 28 years.
Mostly our guys don't make it in the NFL. I think Croyle had a chance, but he was too fragile. The last great qbs we had played for Bryant. We tend to use defense and a running game.

The last Alabama QB to start an NFL game, and win, was Jeff Rutledge in 1987 (Rutledge had TWO career wins as a starter)

Since then, Mike Shula, Jay Barker, Brodie Croyle and Greg McElroy have been the only Alabama QB's to make an NFL roster.
Yeah. It's not really a point of emphasis, or hasn't been. I think AJ has the tools, but you never know. He had a habit of winding too tightly and overthrowing like crazy unless he had a lead to work with. Seemed a bit like that the other night too. Maybe he'll develop. He has a chance to play his way into impressing someone at any rate.

Shula and Barker never played a down, McElroy was 0-1, and Croyle was 0-10 in games they started.
Sure. Only Croyle had the ability. He went to a woeful KC team and his wheels came off.

Will McCarron break Alabama's 28 year streak of not having a QB start and win an NFL game?
Wouldn't surprise me either way...though it's a fairly impressive thing, winning like we do without a particularly talented qb.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
though it's a fairly impressive thing, winning like we do without a particularly talented qb.

It's bizarre that Alabama has been the best program in college football, but hasn't had a QB win an NFL game in almost 30 years.

However, I'm old enough to remember Bart Starr, Joe Namath, and Ken Stabler win plenty of NFL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.