NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
QB Rating over 100 (old NFL model)

That is still a used rating. That is efficiency rating, not productivity. Not that you didn't know it.

Over his career, Elway threw 300 touchdowns, but his rating is low because he played many years and threw many passes to get to it. Another example which isn't QBs regarding efficiency is Jerome Bettis. He has to be one of the more over rated no business in the Hall running backs of all time.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Speaking of weak divisions, the Bengals should win the AFC North very easily with Big Ben out 6 weeks, the Ravens 0-3, and the Browns being the Browns.

The Bengals haven't won a post-season game since 1990. If they can't win one this year, they may never win one.

I can see them going up to Foxborough in January. Hey, somebody's gotta do it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That is still a used rating. That is efficiency rating, not productivity. Not that you didn't know it.

Over his career, Elway threw 300 touchdowns, but his rating is low because he played many years and threw many passes to get to it. Another example which isn't QBs regarding efficiency is Jerome Bettis. He has to be one of the more over rated no business in the Hall running backs of all time.
Sentimentality, tradition and a Super Bowl ribbon at the end will get you a lot in the age of PR. And not being loved can make you wait (Charles Haley).

I've always wondered why there isn't an equivalent rating for running backs...then I went looking, found this from football outsiders. Looks interesting, though I haven't given it more than a cursory look-see.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Bettis never impressed me as a Ram -

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've always wondered why there isn't an equivalent rating for running backs...then I went looking, found this from football outsiders. Looks interesting, though I haven't given it more than a cursory look-see.

Yards per carry separate the phonies from studs when it comes to running backs. Especially in a running offense when everybody knows who is getting the ball in that I-formation.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Another example which isn't QBs regarding efficiency is Jerome Bettis. He has to be one of the more over rated no business in the Hall running backs of all time.

You just hate him because he was a Steeler.

Bettis is 6th all time with 13,662 yards.

Yards per carry separate the phonies from studs when it comes to running backs. Especially in a running offense when everybody knows who is getting the ball in that I-formation.

That's where Bettis excelled.

Cowher was 108-1-1 when the Steelers had a 10 point lead in the second half of games. The reason Cowher had that record was because when they had that lead they would just keep giving the ball to Bettis.

Everyone in the stadium knew Bettis was getting the ball every play, and Bettis was able to get first downs and eat up the clock.

That's why he was a great back.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can see them going up to Foxborough in January. Hey, somebody's gotta do it.

The AFC South is a joke, so the Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos (all currently 3-0) are going to battle for the #1 & #2 seeds that get the first round bye.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The AFC South is a joke, so the Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos (all currently 3-0) are going to battle for the #1 & #2 seeds that get the first round bye.

By November I think we'll see rickety Peyton. That defense can only bail him out so many times.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You just hate him because he was a Steeler.

No, because he is a Domer. But so is Joe Montana, but it doesn't skew my analysis. What I want to happen, and what I think will happen are 2 different things.

Bettis is 6th all time with 13,662 yards.

Like I said;

Me said:
Another example which isn't QBs regarding efficiency is Jerome Bettis. He has to be one of the more over rated no business in the Hall running backs of all time.

3.9 ypc, for a Hall of Fame running back? 9 of his seasons he was 3.8 ypc or lower. When using that productivity ranking for Bettis listed by TH, I am thinking he is even lower. Click here for some good stats comparing Hall of Fame backs with others. You can ignore the commentary and just look at the raw numbers. The Hall is an embarrassment at times.

The Broncos under Mike Shanahan played ball control with Terrell Davis. Using basic zone blocking with smaller linemen Davis in his 4 years put up 1117, 1538, 1750, and 2008 in consecutive seasons propelling Denver to a 39-9 record and back to back Super Bowl wins. Everybody knew it was coming. And to throw them a curve, they went misdirection on a bootleg or play action and Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe and Ed Mcaffery didn't drop the ball.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, because he is a Domer.

Oh.......

The Steelers really haven't had too many Notre Dame players over the years. In fact, the only other notable player besides Bettis who comes to mind is Rocky Blier.

3.9 ypc, for a Hall of Fame running back?

Ya, I know, but he really became less and less productive his last 4 years.

He ran for more than a thousand yards in 9 of his 10 first seasons. In '96 & '97 he ran for 3,096 yards. Not too many RB's have ran for 3,000 yards or more in two seasons. Plus he ran for 1,429 yards his rookie season.

He is one of only 9 players to have 15,000 yards or more from scrimmage. Whether you like it or not, that will get you in the HOF.

Now, would I take Jerome Bettis over Terrell Davis? No way. TD in his prime was in a different league than Bettis ever was.

My biggest complaint against Bettis was how much he sucked in the post-season. In 14 post-season games Bettis ran for 674 yards. That's an average of 48.2 yards a game.

TD had 1,140 yards in 8 post-season games, which is an 143 yards per game average.

IOW, TD averaged almost 100 yards a game more than Bettis in post-season games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Week 4

1. Bal @ Pit
Line: Bal 2.5 Split: 53/47 Bal
Pick: ...Pittsburgh leans on Ben for its offensive production. Vick? Seems like a recipe for a Baltimore turn around. Baltimore.

2. Jet @ Mia
Line: Jets 2.5 Split: 60/40 Jets
Pick: Everyone seems to think the Jets are the better bet here. Neither team looked like it remembered how to play defense last week...the Jets are looking to repeat their performance against Indy. In a pick'em...okay, I'll go with the Jets.

3. Hou @ Atl
Line: Atl 6.5 Split: 80/20 Atl
Pick: Houston hasn't found its offense and Atlanta will tire out a defense that's kept on the field. Not wild about the spread, but I'll take it anyway. Atlanta

4. Gia @ Buf Line: Buf 5.5 Split: 58/42 Bur
Pick: Two teams no one is giving much love to and both of which could matter come playoff time. Buffalo can take away the outside, which is where New York is living these days. Could be a long day for Eli if they do...and that Bills offense is moving the ball like they haven't since Kelly. I'll take the Bills, though I'm going to be watching Eli nervously. These are two teams that play very well when they execute their game plan. The Giants could as easily be 2-0.

5. Oak @ Chi
Line: Oak 2.5 Split: 80/20 Oak
Pick: The fire sale at Chicago continues while Oakland continues to grow in confidence. This week should help. Raiders.

6. KC @ Cin
Line: Cin 3.5 Split: 71/29 Cin
Pick: Could be a really, really good game. KC needs to prove something after two tough weeks against Denver and Green Bay. The Bengals, meanwhile, remain undefeated, though mostly against teams that aren't scaring anyone, including my Colts. A great day for either QB to make a statement. I could see this one biting me, but I'm going to stay with the hot hand and pick Cin to keep the streak going.

7. Jac @ Ind
Line: Ind 9.5 Split: 59/41 Ind
Pick: I have no confidence in either team as they stand, but if not now, Indy, when? I'll take the Colts and the ridiculous points.

EDIT: prior to game announcement Luck will sit. So scratch that ridiculous line. Jacksonville on the points and likely the win, but definitely the points.

8. Phi @ Was
Line: Phi 3.5 Split: 75/25 Phi
Pick: Philly did what I thought they would last week, which means this week should have everyone worried. Look for the calming of ruffled fan feathers to continue this week with an Eagles win.

9. Car @ TB
Line: Car 3.5 Split: 83/17 Car
Pick: Carolina. Yeah, that's how much I care about this game. :plain:

10. Cle @ SD
Line: SD 7.5 Split: 60/40 SD
Pick: I don't like this spread. It's a half point too far. Neither team is as good as they could be. But let's face it, SD has one more win than Cleveland and it was against that Detroit team I told you wasn't good enough. I'll take Cleveland to keep this closer and, if Johnny gets in, win outright.

11. Min @ Den
Line: Den 6.5 Split: 69/31 Den
Pick: That's a big number. Hear me out. Min averages 20 scored and gives up about 17 a game. Denver averages 24 and gives up 16. And if you don't look any closer you might wonder about the line, but then you remember who the Broncos played against (Arz, Bal, KC) and who Min played (Ten, SD, SF) and it's easier to take those points. Denver.

12. GB @ SF Line: GB 9.5 Split: 79/21 GB
Pick: Should be fun. Green Bay. I like GB by two tds.

13. SL @ Arz
Line: Arz 6.5 Split: 83/17 Arz
Pick: A few weeks ago this one would have had ears perking up. Now that near seven isn't even worrying the money. Arizona.

14. Dal @ NO
Line: NO 4.5 Split: 71/29 NO
Pick: I really hate this game for so many reasons. The money is crazy for New Orleans. The line suggests at least a fg win for the beleaguered Saints. I have it too close to call, so I'm going to regret this and take Dallas to smother what passes for offense in the Big Easy and maybe be the point difference maker too.

15. Det @ Sea
Line: Sea 9.5 Split: 68/32 Sea
Pick: :rotfl: Seattle, though the line isn't as horrible as it looks.

Last edited:

Caledvwlch

Week 4

1. Bal @ Pit
Line: Bal 2.5
Split: 53/47 Bal
Pick: No one wants any of this pick'em. Both teams can put up numbers, or could. What are the Steelers with Vick? Not sure. The Steelers relied on Ben for most of their offensive firepower, being third passing and twenty something rushing. Seems like a recipe for a Baltimore turn around. Baltimore.

2. Jet @ Mia
Line: Jets 2.5
Split: 60/40 Jets
Pick: Everyone seems to think the Jets are the better bet here. Neither team looked like it remembered how to play defense last week...the Jets are looking to repeat their performance against Indy. In a pick'em...okay, I'll go with the Jets.

I'll be back later with more picks. In the meantime, here are the lines and splits:

3. Hou @ Atl
Line: Atl 6.5
Split: 80/20 Atl
Pick:

4. Gia @ Buf
Line: Buf 5.5
Split: 58/42 Bur
Pick:

5. Oak @ Chi
Line: Oak 2.5
Split: 80/20 Oak
Pick:

6. KC @ Cin
Line: Cin 3.5
Split: 71/29 Cin
Pick:

7. Jac @ Ind
Line: Ind 9.5
Split: 59/41 Ind
Pick:

8. Phi @ Was
Line: Phi 3.5
Split: 75/25 Phi
Pick:

9. Car @ TB
Line: Car 3.5
Split: 83/17 Car
Pick:

10. Cle @ SD
Line: SD 7.5
Split: 60/40 SD
Pick:

11. Min @ Den
Line: Den 6.5
Split: 69/31 Den
Pick:

12. GB @ SF
Line: GB 9.5
Split: 79/21 GB
Pick:

13. SL @ Arz
Line: Arz 6.5
Split: 83/17 Arz
Pick:

14. Dal @ NO
Line: NO 4.5
Split: 71/29 NO
Pick:

15. Det @ Sea
Line: Sea 9.5
Split: 68/32 Sea
Pick:

Off Week
Det
Sea

I'm taking New England's bye (-10.5) over Tennessee's bye.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is one of those years it just ain't gonna happen for the Steelers.

First they have their starting RB suspended 2 games, then their #3 WR suspended 4 games, then they lose their All-Pro Center for 10 weeks, then they lose Big Ben 4-6 weeks, and now they blow a 20-7 lead to the Ravens.

Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.