NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Seahawks yes, but not the '78 Steelers.

The '78 Steelers had nine HOF'ers. No other Super Bowl winning team comes close.

A great defense always beats a great offense.

The 1984 & 1987 49'ers couldn't even beat Noll's Steelers in the 80's when Noll had nowhere near the players he had on the 70's

If the '84 & '87 49'ers couldn't beat the '84 & '87 Steelers, they wouldn't have had a prayer against the '78 Steelers.

do you remember the year of the immaculate reception ?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Close?Montana, Young, Rice, Lott, and Haley makes five

Yes close, no other team comes close. 5 is just 56% of 9.......56% is not what I would call "close".

and Craig really deserves to be, might still make it one of these...

And so does Donnie Shell.

51 career interceptions, 5X Pro Bowl, 3X First Team All Pro, 4X Super Bowl champion.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So the 80's Steelers won 4 Superbowls or more since that is what the Niners did? Come on man. That is a stretch and you know it.

Huh?

My point was that Walsh's West Coast offense was no match for Noll's defense when it was Walsh's best teams against Noll's worst teams. Therefore, how the heck would Walsh beat Noll's best teams when he couldn't beat Noll's worst teams?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It was December 23, 1972

I remember exactly where I was when it happened.

As great as that moment was for the City of Pittsburgh, one week later the mood changed drastically.

One week later on December 30th the Steelers lost the AFC Championship Game to the Dolphins, then the next day, on December 31st, Roberto Clemente was killed in a plane crash.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes close, no other team comes close. 5 is just 56% of 9.......56% is not what I would call "close".

And so does Donnie Shell. 51 career interceptions, 5X Pro Bowl, 3X First Team All Pro, 4X Super Bowl champion.
Maybe so, but your wrs were there by virtue of a few big plays. Swann especially so. And, again, if he's in then Taylor should be a comparative no contest. And I'd argue that having arguably the greatest big game qb and the greatest wr paired with one of the most effective all purpose backs and, again, a terrific defense, makes this game one I'd rather watch than try to call.

And Jones and Rathman are underrated. Jones was a bit like the Cowboys' Novacek. And Rathman much like their Johnston. They could shine when asked to, but were often not needed because it was impossible enough to cover Rice, Taylor and Craig effectively. Going to the third or fourth option, even if the options were talented, just didn't tend to happen with great regularity.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't understand some of the calls coaches make nowadays.

Pete Carroll tried an onside kick to start overtime that failed miserably. Last year teams were 3 for 50 for onside kicks. That's now two games in a row Carroll has made stupid decisions.

Tom Coughlin attempted a pass on 3rd down from the Cowboy's 1 yard line with 1:38 left in the game, his team up 3 points, and the Cowboys had no time outs. The pass was incomplete, the field goal made it a 6 point game, and this gave the Cowboys enough time to march down the field and score a TD with :07 left.

Years ago coaches didn't do boneheaded things like this.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Somehow I doubt that there was ever a time when NFL coaches were not dumb. They coach football.

No, I'm convinced coaches didn't do these things years ago.

Another example: I was watching the Jets/Browns game. The Jets had a 21 point lead with 7:00 left in the game. On first down from their own 20 yard line, they attempted a pass that was almost intercepted.

Why not run the ball, take time off the clock, and not risk the opportunity of giving the other team a pick-6?

Bill Cowher was 105-1 when he had at least a 10 point lead in the 2nd half. When he had at least a 10 point lead, he ran the ball, ran the ball, ran the ball........

In a million years, Cowher wouldn't have attempted a pass from the 1 yard line in yesterday's Cowboys/Giants game, or last years Super Bowl.

Caledvwlch

No, I'm convinced coaches didn't do these things years ago.

Another example: I was watching the Jets/Browns game. The Jets had a 21 point lead with 7:00 left in the game. On first down from their own 20 yard line, they attempted a pass that was almost intercepted.

Why not run the ball, take time off the clock, and not risk the opportunity of giving the other team a pick-6?

Bill Cowher was 105-1 when he had at least a 10 point lead in the 2nd half. When he had at least a 10 point lead, he ran the ball, ran the ball, ran the ball........

In a million years, Cowher wouldn't have attempted a pass from the 1 yard line in yesterday's Cowboys/Giants game, or last years Super Bowl.

True, but Bill Cowher is a (future?) Hall of Fame coach. Jason Garrett and Pete Carroll are no Bill Cowhers. The NFL's past surely had it's own crop of terrible-to-just-okay coaches.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Noll's defense beat Walsh's West Coast offense in 1984 and 1987 with Brian Hinkle, Keith Willis, Dwayne Woodruff, Keith Gary, and a bunch of other defensive players nobody will remember. How do you think Noll would have done against Walsh's West Coast offense with Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, L.C. Greenwood, Mel Blount, etc?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And the Dolphins beat the Bears in 1985. So what. Who goes undefeated in the NFL? I guess one needs a 14 game season. And in the land of fairies and a one game sample Tet can draw that conclusion.

The Browns pummeled the Bengals and upped their record to 6-3 last year. So they are better, right? That is how they finished, right?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And the Dolphins beat the Bears in 1985. So what. Who goes undefeated in the NFL? I guess one needs a 14 game season. And in the land of fairies and a one game sample Tet can draw that conclusion.

The Browns pummeled the Bengals and upped their record to 6-3 last year. So they are better, right? That is how they finished, right?

The question was who was better; the '78 Steelers or the '89 49'ers.

Walsh was known for his West Coast offense, Noll was known for his great defense.

My point was that if Noll was twice able to beat Walsh's great offense with lesser talent than his 70's defense when he faced Walsh in the 80's, then why would anyone think the '89 49'ers could beat the '78 Steelers?

Caledvwlch

The question was who was better; the '78 Steelers or the '89 49'ers.

Walsh was known for his West Coast offense, Noll was known for his great defense.

My point was that if Noll was twice able to beat Walsh's great offense with lesser talent than his 70's defense when he faced Walsh in the 80's, then why would anyone think the '89 49'ers could beat the '78 Steelers?

Because good teams are beaten by bad teams every week of every season?

Status
Not open for further replies.