NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Blicheat was shown that he cannot win without cheating. First they flimed (got caught) those hand signals. And I won't call it a coincidence that all 3 teams rewrote their playbooks at halftime of Superbowl wondering how Crenel and Weis are so smart. Speaking of coaches shown to not actually be that smart. Then again, Weis conned Notre Dame and Kansas, and those two universities that fired him for being a bad coach still owe him $24 mil.

That is the real Belichick.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Without Brady, Belichick wasn't even a .500 coach.

And Brady was middle of the pack, literally, as a QB before he started deflating footballs in 2007. I didn't think much of him one way or the other knowing he was mediocre, then out of nowhere played at an elite level.

And he did play at an elite level since 2007 when some invisible switch was turned out.

Granite

Hall of Fame
And Brady was middle of the pack, literally, as a QB before he started deflating footballs in 2007. I didn't think much of him one way or the other knowing he was mediocre, then out of nowhere played at an elite level.

And he did play at an elite level since 2007 when some invisible switch was turned out.

a) QB's being allowed to prep their own footballs was something both Brady and Peyton Manning pushed for in 2006
b) thus far absolutely no evidence at all's emerged the Pats ever deflated footballs, certainly not in last year's AFC Championship
c) while Brady's always been a good quarterback he became statistically great, and unquestionably elite, once he had both the best slot receiver and deep threat in the game at his disposal in 2007

So, yeah. If you want to call Wes Welker "invisible," well, can't fault you there--the guy was small and shifty and darn near impossible to cover. And if Randy Moss was the switch that got flipped on that offense, mission accomplished.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NFL fans outside of Seattle can thank the Rams today. If Nick Foles stays healthy, the Rams will be the most improved team. He looked good in those short pre-season appearances. Today was the real thing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it is the coach who gets you to the playoffs
and
it is the coach who gets you to the super bowl

peyton is not a very good coach
He's not a coach, but he's the next best thing on the field, when he's in control of the offense. It's the team that gets you to the playoffs. It's coaching that can make the difference once you get there, where the best of the best are much closer in terms of talent.

Peyton's problem is that the Pats have stood in his way more often than not and as good as he is on running an offense, Bill is a better defensive coach and Manning has rarely played with a defense that was up to the offense. Such is life.

Granite

Hall of Fame
He's not a coach, but he's the next best thing on the field, when he's in control of the offense. It's the team that gets you to the playoffs. It's coaching that can make the difference once you get there, where the best of the best are much closer in terms of talent.

Peyton's problem is that the Pats have stood in his way more often than not and as good as he is on running an offense, Bill is a better defensive coach and Manning has rarely played with a defense that was up to the offense. Such is life.

I'm happy to give Belichick a lot of credit for stopping Manning's postseason campaigns, but he hasn't done it single-handedly. We both know it's not just the Pats that've stymied Peyton (though we did it more consistently than any other team I can think of).

I will say when it comes to Super Bowl 48 that I don't really hold that one against Peyton. No one was beating that Seahawks team that year--no one. Not Montana in his prime. Not the '07 Pats. Nobody.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
NFL fans outside of Seattle can thank the Rams today. If Nick Foles stays healthy, the Rams will be the most improved team. He looked good in those short pre-season appearances. Today was the real thing.

yeah, he took some really hard hits but doesn't seem like the cream puffs Bradford and Marc 'Whitey" Bulger were. IF he stays healthy they may make a wild card appearance somehow. starting 1-0 certainly helps; in division. ahhhh, week one, conjuring late December visions

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm happy to give Belichick a lot of credit for stopping Manning's postseason campaign, but he hasn't done it single-handedly.

None of Peyton Manning's nine "one-and-done's" came against the Patriots.

They came against the Jets twice, the Chargers twice, and the Steelers, Dolphins, Titans, Ravens, and Colts one each.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
78' Steelers would have kicked their butt. :chuckle:
The 89 Niners would have handled them.

Not even a question. Montana had arguably his best year in a career almost universally recognized as the gold standard for qbs. Rice and Taylor were both thousand yard wrs. Craig rushed for over a thousand yards and was a substantial option out of the backfield with nearly five hundred yards. Rathman was a beast at FB and between them the two accounted for nearly twenty five hundred yards. Brent Jones was one of the best receiving tight ends if Joe wanted another option. There were just too many great hands, even for Seattle.

The defense had Haley, Romanowski, Lott and Millen among a number of other terrific players.

They had the NFL's best offense and third best defense that year. They lost two games in the run toward the playoffs by a total of five points. They obliterated every team they met in the playoffs:

The beat Minnesota 41 -13
Then they beat the Rams 30 - 3
Before destroying the Broncos 55 - 10

Their offensive coach was Mike Holmgren and Seifert, the head coach was the defensive coordinator chosen to succeed the great Walsh.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
it's more fun to watch football when your team already won. the whole week is more fun. the future looks brighter when your team wins -

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The 89 Niners would have handled them.

The Seahawks yes, but not the '78 Steelers.

The '78 Steelers had nine HOF'ers. No other Super Bowl winning team comes close.

A great defense always beats a great offense.

The 1984 & 1987 49'ers couldn't even beat Noll's Steelers in the 80's when Noll had nowhere near the players he had on the 70's

If the '84 & '87 49'ers couldn't beat the '84 & '87 Steelers, they wouldn't have had a prayer against the '78 Steelers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Seahawks yes, but not the '78 Steelers.
We agree on the first. I'd have to see the game between the other two, though I have a sentimental attachment to the Steelers and have never rooted for an NFC team.

The '78 Steelers had nine HOF'ers. No other Super Bowl winning team comes close.
Close? Montana, Young, Rice, Lott, and Haley makes five and Craig really deserves to be, might still make it one of these...a great all purpose back who got there by unbelievable work ethic and couldn't beat back the clock when his skills diminished, unlike more physically gifted backs who could compensate by working harder. Taylor would be a number one on most teams in his era and deserves consideration. If Swann and Stallworth are in Taylor/Rice were better and both should be.

No, not always. Seattle is the latest illustration of that. But what usually happens is a truly great defensive team rarely faces an equally talented offense and vice versa. And for most of the NFL's history the philosophy was run and play defense, so most juggernauts ended up being teams like that.

But the Niners had a great defense on that team I noted too.

In any event, it would be a great game to watch.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bill Belichick's all-time record against the Steelers:

With Brady = 8-2

Without Brady = 3-9

I am thinking he has some losses in Cleveland. Aside from sneaking their way to an 11 win season, his record was otherwise in the toilet. I posted the info once from pro-reference.com I don't remember all of it.

And I used to not think about him very much. But now that all of this is coming up, it stinks like Barry Bonds and the steroid era.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not always. The game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. And having the steel curtain was certainly a giant step into dynasty immortality. A front four that gets it done keeps the crummiest teams in any game.

The 1984 & 1987 49'ers couldn't even beat Noll's Steelers in the 80's when Noll had nowhere near the players he had on the 70's.

So the 80's Steelers won 4 Superbowls or more since that is what the Niners did? Come on man. That is a stretch and you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.