Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
the defense got them into the playoffs

how do you win 11 games when you only scrore 20 points
but
allow only 18?
That's a little deceptive though. The Lions played a number of really good defenses and they're average points per game puts them within a field goal of all but the top 11 teams. Or, a disadvantage negated by their home field. They won more than a few of those games with solid offensive performances and lost a few to poor defensive play. Overall they're a stronger defensive team, but I suspect that will change next year, as the new pieces work into the mix more substantively.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's a little deceptive though. The Lions played a number of really good defenses and they're average points per game puts them within a field goal of all but the top 11 teams. Or, a disadvantage negated by their home field. They won more than a few of those games with solid offensive performances and lost a few to poor defensive play. Overall they're a stronger defensive team, but I suspect that will change next year, as the new pieces work into the mix more substantively.

just look at the ravens
who wants to play them?
they are all defense
but
flacco actually has a chance to win the game

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I can think of a few, but they're all NFC teams. :)

Terrific defense, but the offense was 8th in points scored and within 3 of all but four teams above them.

He's making a reputation as a clutch player, to be sure.

lucky for you they have to get by belichick before they get to your boy peyton

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not so lucky. I'm a Colts fan first and last. I like Peyton, respect him greatly and wish him every success, except at cost to my team. So this weekend isn't going to be pleasant regardless. I'd rather have seen Peyton face the Ravens.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The lines:

Bal @ NE: the Patriots are a 7 point favorite.

Car @ Sea: the Seahawks are an 11 point favorite.

Dal @ GB: the Packers are a 6 point favorite.

Ind @ Den: the Broncos are a 7 point favorite.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The lines:

And following this is Oregon-Ohio State, capping the best single week in football.

And then I think about February and go :(

Caledvwlch

The lines:

These all seem too big to me. I think one favorite will cover. 2 underdogs will cover and lose (did I get the lingo right here?), and one underdog will upset. I'm not brave enough to assign these to specific teams.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Face guarding is basically an act of waving your arms or hands above the shoulders to block the view of a potential pass receiver while the ball is in the air. NCAA rules on pass interference require the face guarding to have contact to be a foul. No contact, no foul by NCAA rules.​

The problem here is that there was clearly contact and the referee (or second referee) calling that contact, essentially, insufficient isn't something that is allowed under the rules. Now if a member of the offense had shoved the defender into the wide receiver, different story.

Anyway, for those currently curious about the play and rammifications, ESPN has an excellent argument about the potential fouls on that play, not all of them on the defender. It's found here.

Ultimately, what might calm everyone a little is this snippet examining the impact of that play on the game's conclusion:

Is it the primary reason the Cowboys won and the Lions lost? No. The decision reduced the Lions' win probability at that point from 78 percent to a still-healthy 66 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information.​

I agree that we can't pin the Lions' loss on that play, but it sure didn't help. The head of officiating said that it wasn't PI but it should have been holding. :think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The lines:

I'll pick....

Baltimore - they just seem to do well against NE, Granite is right to get the pepto. Maybe NE will get lucky again and Baltimore's kicker will shank a chip shot to lose

Seattle - Is an explanation needed?

Green Bay - Should be a tough game. Dallas has been very good on the road but I'll take Rodgers at home.

Denver - Indy hasn't looked overly impressive and beating Cincy doesn't help that much. If they can force a couple trademark Manning picks then they can win but otherwise it's tough to see.

If those picks pan out then I'll have absolutely nothing to root for in the AFC. :plain:

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I heard that someone said that Denver was the biggest winner this past weekend even though they didn't even play. Reason being, they wouldn't want to face Pittsburgh who is now out, and NE is playing the team that will give them the most trouble and so NE could be eliminated too. :chuckle:

Although, didn't Baltimore eliminate the Broncos a couple years ago? :liberals:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I heard that someone said that Denver was the biggest winner this past weekend even though they didn't even play. Reason being, they wouldn't want to face Pittsburgh who is now out, and NE is playing the team that will give them the most trouble and so NE could be eliminated too. :chuckle:

Although, didn't Baltimore eliminate the Broncos a couple years ago? :liberals:

As I stated a few weeks ago, Peyton Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, & Flacco have represented the AFC in the previous ELEVEN Super Bowls, and I said that it was one of these QB's that would represent the AFC again this year.

Roethlisberger is eliminated, so it will be Manning, Brady, or Flacco. Luck doesn't have a prayer.

Any of these three QB's can win in the postseason because they have all done it before.

Caledvwlch

Any of these three QB's can win in the postseason because they have all done it before.

If Luck were Andy Dalton, I might be inclined to agree with you. But I don't think the past, especially seasons past, really have much direct influence on current NFL games. However, I don't like Luck's chances in Denver.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Roethlisberger is eliminated, so it will be Manning, Brady, or Flacco. Luck doesn't have a prayer.

some have more experience losing in the playoffs

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'll pick....

Baltimore - they just seem to do well against NE, Granite is right to get the pepto. Maybe NE will get lucky again and Baltimore's kicker will shank a chip shot to lose

Seattle - Is an explanation needed?

Green Bay - Should be a tough game. Dallas has been very good on the road but I'll take Rodgers at home.

Denver - Indy hasn't looked overly impressive and beating Cincy doesn't help that much. If they can force a couple trademark Manning picks then they can win but otherwise it's tough to see.

If those picks pan out then I'll have absolutely nothing to root for in the AFC. :plain:

Greenberg just reminded me about Rodgers' injury. If he aggravates that again or is significantly limited then Dallas has a very good chance. :noid:

Status
Not open for further replies.