NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Be honest: When was the last time you saw a call like this simply go unenforced?

Worst call (non call) in post-season history, next to the "tuck rule" call.

Did you notice how Dez Bryant ran out onto the field screaming and waving his hands at the refs about the flag that was thrown?

If anything, Bryant should have been given a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

Detroit really got screwed by the refs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Ravens make me reach for Pepto. And my gun.
They're not to be taken lightly, that's for certain.

An outsider looking at that penalty, which wasn't enforced, would be easily persuaded there was corruption afoot.
No. I don't think that reasonably follows at all. You know I wasn't rooting for the Cowboys by any stretch of the imagination, though I'm no particular fan of the Lions either...but I've seen my share of refs picking up flags, though it's almost always followed by an explanation. The old, "There was no foul on the play: the ball was uncatchable" etc.

I suspect that's going to be a bit more stressed following this game.

Be honest: When was the last time you saw a call like this simply go unenforced?
I can't think of any. But I don't see a conspiracy. At worst, the ref in question should be highly scrutinized. But the refs have a positional responsibility. If one picks up the flag and he was the one in a position to make the call then the others don't have a reason to say boo until the jumbo demonstrates the error, which is always after the fact and beyond the point where anything could be done.

Total crock.
I'm inclined to agree. If there's not a really good answer on the point it should cost the fellow his position and his finances should be looked into.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, here's what was said right after by Pete Morelli.

Morelli: The back judge threw his flag for pass interference. We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn't warrant pass interference. He thought it was face guarding.

Reporter: What official?

Morelli: The head linesman.

Reporter: What did you see?

Morelli: It's not my responsibility. I'm a hundred miles away.

Reporter: Face guarding is not a foul?

Morelli: Face guarding is not a foul. It is a penalty in college but not in professional football.

Reporter: What is the process you go through when you announce a call? Should you have waited before you announced the call?

Morelli: Probably yes. The information came in and then the officials got together a little bit later, after it was given to me, the first information. It would probably have been smoother if we got together.

Reporter: Do you remember this type of play happening before?

Morelli: No, not particularly.

Reporter: So one more time on who the person was that had a better view.

Morelli: The better view was from the head linesman.​

It's time to talk about how crews are constituted and their process during playoff games.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The teams I can root for are dwindling. Now it's down to Green Bay and Carolina in the NFC and New England and Indy in the AFC.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Just saw a replay of the non-PI call. Seems like interference to me. He wasn't playing the ball and had some contact before the ball arrived. How is that not PI? What is 'face guarding' anyway? :idunno:

Granite

Hall of Fame

Did you notice how Dez Bryant ran out onto the field screaming and waving his hands at the refs about the flag that was thrown?

They get the penalty and they score at least three points, shave more time off the clock--who knows how it ends (Detroit could still have lost), but this non-call was a huge, huge blow.

Someone should be fired. I'm serious. This is a playoff screw up on a national stage, and it was at least an example of blatant incompetence.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No. I don't think that reasonably follows at all. You know I wasn't rooting for the Cowboys by any stretch of the imagination, though I'm no particular fan of the Lions either...but I've seen my share of refs picking up flags, though it's almost always followed by an explanation. The old, "There was no foul on the play: the ball was uncatchable" etc.

That they didn't bother with this stinks, frankly. Was the crew incompetent or just clueless? Someone's head needs to roll here.

I suspect that's going to be a bit more stressed following this game.

I think that's a pretty safe bet.

I can't think of any. But I don't see a conspiracy. At worst, the ref in question should be highly scrutinized. But the refs have a positional responsibility. If one picks up the flag and he was the one in a position to make the call then the others don't have a reason to say boo until the jumbo demonstrates the error, which is always after the fact and beyond the point where anything could be done.

With the emphasis on player safety and the reality of this being a passing league it boggles my mind that a penalty as blatant as this one could go completely overlooked.

I'm inclined to agree. If there's not a really good answer on the point it should cost the fellow his position and his finances should be looked into.

I smell a rat.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just saw a replay of the non-PI call. Seems like interference to me. He wasn't playing the ball and had some contact before the ball arrived. How is that not PI? What is 'face guarding' anyway? :idunno:
Face guarding is basically an act of waving your arms or hands above the shoulders to block the view of a potential pass receiver while the ball is in the air. NCAA rules on pass interference require the face guarding to have contact to be a foul. No contact, no foul by NCAA rules.​

The problem here is that there was clearly contact and the referee (or second referee) calling that contact, essentially, insufficient isn't something that is allowed under the rules. Now if a member of the offense had shoved the defender into the wide receiver, different story.

Anyway, for those currently curious about the play and rammifications, ESPN has an excellent argument about the potential fouls on that play, not all of them on the defender. It's found here.

Ultimately, what might calm everyone a little is this snippet examining the impact of that play on the game's conclusion:

Is it the primary reason the Cowboys won and the Lions lost? No. The decision reduced the Lions' win probability at that point from 78 percent to a still-healthy 66 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information.​

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not playing the ball is not a penalty in the NCAA or the NFL. And announcers do a disservice every time they make that idiot comment about he didn't turn his back. The DB doesn't have to turn his back away from the receiver. That is a good way to get burned.

Most technique taught now is to let him catch it and then put your hands into his chest and punch up. Wait for them to reach for it. If you watch closely, you will see the elite corners do it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

and it wasn't just that one call

there were a lot of other flags that should have been picked up
but
they kept the dallas drive going for the winning score

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I still blame stafford
and
not the refs for the lion loss

in the second half the real stafford came back to haunt us
get rid of him

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I still blame stafford
and
not the refs for the lion loss

in the second half the real stafford came back to haunt us
get rid of him
You have any idea how few qbs there are of his caliber playing and how likely it is to replace him with anyone better? Stafford didn't lose the game for you. If you wanted to blame a particular player you'd be better off blaming your punter, but the fact is a tough game was played and only one team was going to win it. The loser doesn't necessarily need to be reconstituted. In fact, another year with the new offensive pieces should be good for you if you're a Lion's fan. Keep Suh in camp if you can and add a piece or two else and there's reason to be optimistic in Detroit.

Stafford had a decent day. If you got the call you should have who knows. He might have led you to a late score to cement the win and this conversation never happens...The Cowboys defense played better than expected and Romo was masterful, as his 114 qb rating attests to. It's really remarkable that Romo played at that level and the game was in doubt until that late.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You have any idea how few qbs there are of his caliber playing and how likely it is to replace him with anyone better? Stafford didn't lose the game for you. If you wanted to blame a particular player you'd be better off blaming your punter, but the fact is a tough game was played and only one team was going to win it. The loser doesn't necessarily need to be reconstituted. In fact, another year with the new offensive pieces should be good for you if you're a Lion's fan. Keep Suh in camp if you can and add a piece or two else and there's reason to be optimistic in Detroit.

Stafford had a decent day. If you got the call you should have who knows. He might have led you to a late score to cement the win and this conversation never happens...The Cowboys defense played better than expected and Romo was masterful, as his 114 qb rating attests to. It's really remarkable that Romo played at that level and the game was in doubt until that late.

you could also blame the coach for the offensive line
but
stafford knows what he has
but
doesn't know that you have to get rid of the ball
and
you don't try to throw over tall defensive linemen

they scored 3 points in the second half!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Ravens make me reach for Pepto. And my gun.

Does it make you as uncomfortable as watching Ray Lewis in the ESPN studio seeing former players denounce the violence from current NFL players?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Does it make you as uncomfortable as watching Ray Lewis in the ESPN studio seeing former players denounce the violence from current NFL players?

Pretty hypocritical coming from Ray. No doubt. Stick to the game, Mr. Lewis, and stop preachin'.

Caledvwlch

You have any idea how few qbs there are of his caliber playing and how likely it is to replace him with anyone better? Stafford didn't lose the game for you. If you wanted to blame a particular player you'd be better off blaming your punter, but the fact is a tough game was played and only one team was going to win it. The loser doesn't necessarily need to be reconstituted...

Sorry to chop up your post, but this is a good summary of what it's like listening to sports talk radio in New England the day after a Patriots loss. You get these arm-chair GM's calling in with their downeast accents and a plug of Skoal in their lip talking about how Brady's a bum and longing for the Grogan glory days. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
before the game started it was said that stafford will have to improve his game to win
and
during the game
it was said
that
stafford no longer takes chances
and
because of that
his game has suffered
He was roundly criticized for being loose with the ball early on. He's more conservative now. It helped get the Lions into the playoffs and it didn't cost you the game you were in. Facing a team that played, top to bottom, a little better did that...and the call didn't decide but certainly didn't help you any.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
my all time favorite quarterback was dan fouts
it was always so exciting when they actually ran the ball
but
the rest of the plays were exactly the same
hike, 1, 2, 3
hike the ball on hike
and
release the ball on 3
many quarterbacks would learn a lot by watching his films

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
He was roundly criticized for being loose with the ball early on. He's more conservative now. It helped get the Lions into the playoffs and it didn't cost you the game you were in. Facing a team that played, top to bottom, a little better did that...and the call didn't decide but certainly didn't help you any.

the defense got them into the playoffs

how do you win 11 games when you only scrore 20 points
but
allow only 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.