NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree that we can't pin the Lions' loss on that play, but it sure didn't help. The head of officiating said that it wasn't PI but it should have been holding. :think:

I think this is open to debate. Beyond this missed call, there was a hold on Suh on that 4-and-6 that the refs admit they missed now too.

So essentially two of the biggest plays of the game got screwed up beyond all recognition, went in Dallas's favor, and hosed the Lions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think this is open to debate. Beyond this missed call, there was a hold on Suh on that 4-and-6 that the refs admit they missed now too.

So essentially two of the biggest plays of the game got screwed up beyond all recognition, went in Dallas's favor, and hosed the Lions.
Yeah, the more you think about it the worse it gets. You know I don't think for a moment that the fix was in by the league, but the appearance of the officiating is so awful and skewed that the invitation to wonder has to trouble a league with more than its share of recent black eyes.

They have to address the process off season and pray for great conference championships in the meanwhile and a SB so competitive it takes that taste out of the collective mouths of fans paying attention.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the more you think about it the worse it gets. You know I don't think for a moment that the fix was in by the league, but the appearance of the officiating is so awful and skewed that the invitation to wonder has to trouble a league with more than its share of recent black eyes.

I'm still on the fence, to be honest. The missed PI call was blatant, no two ways around it (as were two or three other potential penalties no one tossed a flag on during and after that play). That they simply handed Dallas a fourth down is almost too much for me to dismiss as incompetence.

The refs gave the Cowboys a win. They guaranteed it.

Someone needs to be fired. Whatever refs responsible for this mess should never step onto the field again, period. This was a nationally televised screw up of epic proportions, and they just cost a team a playoff spot which handing a less-deserving team a win. Unacceptable.

They have to address the process off season and pray for great conference championships in the meanwhile and a SB so competitive it takes that taste out of the collective mouths of fans paying attention.

At this point I'm just wondering what else they're going to get wrong the next two rounds and into the Super Bowl.

Caledvwlch

Someone needs to be fired. Whatever refs responsible for this mess should never step onto the field again, period. This was a nationally televised screw up of epic proportions, and they just cost a team a playoff spot which handing a less-deserving team a win. Unacceptable.

I'm all for firing people. But I don't think I could go so far as to call Dallas less deserving. Unless you were to post a picture of Jerry Jones hugging, let's say, Chris Christie. Then I would be inclined to agree.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Someone needs to be fired. Whatever refs responsible for this mess should never step onto the field again, period.
I'd certainly hand out at least one suspension and seriously revisit the notion of cobbled teams of officials, which is a godawful notion and invites a lack of cohesion.

This was a nationally televised screw up of epic proportions, and they just cost a team a playoff spot which handing a less-deserving team a win. Unacceptable.
I'm not going to blame the outcome on them, but they contributed and that's unacceptable, to be sure.

At this point I'm just wondering what else they're going to get wrong the next two rounds and into the Super Bowl.
Oh, you can bet there will be fewer whistles and/or a lot more conferring. That would be my bet.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd certainly hand out at least one suspension and seriously revisit the notion of cobbled teams of officials, which is a godawful notion and invites a lack of cohesion.

Fair enough. I guess. Not letting them ref another playoff game isn't punishment enough.

I'm not going to blame the outcome on them, but they contributed and that's unacceptable, to be sure.

If Detroit gets the penalty call: Likely they score at least three. Time shaved off the clock.

If Dallas fails to convert: Likely they stand no chance of winning the game.

:think:

Oh, you can bet there will be fewer whistles and/or a lot more conferring. That would be my bet.

And if Browner and Revis can get away with mauling receivers like the good old days, fine by me.:devil:

Granite

Hall of Fame
From ESPN:

In the postseason at New England, Bill Belichick is 1-2 versus the Ravens, 11-1 versus all other teams -- and Baltimore heads to New England for the divisional. Nonetheless, TMQ foresees a Flying Elvii triumph.

This still does nothing for my nerves.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am a huge fan of belichick
and
getting his 19th playoff win is more important than another super bowl win
he would then be tied with landry for the record

I really worry about the ravens

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
getting his 19th playoff win is more important than another super bowl win
he would then be tied with landry for the record

Don't you think tying Chuck Noll with 4 Super Bowl wins would be more important than tying Tom Landry for most playoff wins?

BTW, Chuck Noll was 2-0 against Landry in the postseason.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Most postseason wins by a head coach (Top 10)

Tom Landry 20
Bill Belichick & Don Shula 19
Joe Gibbs 17
Chuck Noll 16
Mike Holmgren 13
Bill Cowher & Tom Coughlin 12
Bill Parcels, Marv Levy, & Dan Reeves 11

Status
Not open for further replies.