NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Fair enough. But NE beat Detroit and Buffalo, Denver beat KC twice, Buffalo and Arizona. So that reasoning can only take you so far before you're back at the top of your own list again. However, GB has not beaten any of your top five, so there's that.

Yeah, that reasoning will have you going in circles forever. :straight:

NE
GB (assuming they get some home games in the playoffs)
Den

Here is where it gets tricky.
It's hard for me to trust Detroit or Dallas
Arizona has QB issues
Cincy is too up and down. Really the whole AFC North is
Indy looks shaky

4 can go to Seattle who looks to be on the up at the right time

5 I'll give to Detroit

Whoever wins the NFC North will be big because neither GB nor Detroit have been very good on the road this year.

Dallas is 7-0 on the road this year. They might actually want to go on the road. :think: But they will probably win their division and then could lose first round at home which would be hilarious. :chuckle:

shagster01

The problem with Seattle is their pedestrian offense. A great Defense can still have an off day, and when that happens their offense is no help.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
my top five detr seat ariz buff kans

seat and buff are on a role
Only one of those teams has a shot at the Super Bowl.

Ok, today's games:

Phi @ Was: the line is Eagels and 8.5, so the wiseguys don't see it as a particularly close game. I have it Philly 31 - Was 20, so I'll take the cover. The Action runs 70/30 in favor of the cover.

Washington has averaged around eleven fewer points a game while giving up two more...but there are serious questions about both qbs at this point. Lots of heat coming for RGIII. He's going to have to live in the pocket, but should have man coverage to exploit...if he can.

SD @ SF: the Niners are a ho-hum 2.5 favorite with the action 67/33 in favor of the points. Lame duck coach with players trying not to get hurt vs a team still making an argument for the post season? I'll take the slim upset and go with the Chargers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:mock: Rivers
You know he won, right? :plain: So I'm 2 - 1 going into tonight's game (stupid Eckles).

The Eagles loss puts the Cowboys 1 win from taking the NFC East.
Funny thing, the fellas at First Take on ESPN have a bet and it the Cowboys win the division there's going to be a very unhappy, jersey and hat wearing Smith who has to be sweating bullets now, after the absurd late will to lose collapse of the Eagles...which can only mean they'll be in the Cutler sweepstakes. :chuckle:

drbrumley

Good for Michael Vick

Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Writes Joe Salerno at Mises.org:

Michael Vick filed for bankruptcy in July 2008, while serving time in Leavenworth federal prison for participation in an illegal dog-fighting ring. He was then earning 12 cents per hour mopping prison floors. Six years later he has almost paid back the full $17.8 million he owed his creditors, including returning $6.5 million of salary to the Atlanta Falcons, his former employer. “Big deal,” you may say, “Vick has earned nearly $49 million during the five years (2010-2014) since he returned to the NFL.” But it is a big—and very heroic—deal because it is rare that Americans who file for personal bankruptcy repay their full debts to their creditors. For the rotten U.S. bankruptcy laws permit individual debtors to weasel out of most of their indebtedness. As the liquidating trustee in Vick’s case commented:

What Michael did was the exception, not the rule. He didn’t have to do this. The law allows you to skate by and pay your creditors 10 or 20 cents on the dollar, but he thought this was the right thing to do.

Vick could have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, under which most of his debts would have been forgiven. Instead he chose to file under Chapter 11, which required repayment of his entire debt. Under the arrangement he made with his creditors, Vick restricted himself to a $300,000 annual budget until his debts were paid off. This was necessary because more than half of what he was earning went to pay taxes and legal fees. Vick continued to repay the salary-related portion of his debt even after the Falcons decided to sell the liability, presumably at a substantial discount, to Fortress Capital, a gigantic investment firm with $66 billion under management.

Vick explained his choice to pursue the path of righteousness and honesty and not to use an unjust law to plunder the property of his fellows very simply and directly:

I didn’t want to stiff people who never stiffed me.

Good for him.....I'm actually proud of him for being this way.

Mr. 5020

Funny thing, the fellas at First Take on ESPN have a bet and it the Cowboys win the division there's going to be a very unhappy, jersey and hat wearing Smith who has to be sweating bullets now, after the absurd late will to lose collapse of the Eagles...which can only mean they'll be in the Cutler sweepstakes. :chuckle:
It wouldn't be the first time this season. He made a similar bet when he promised the Cowboys wouldn't beat the defending Super Bowl champions.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Golic and one of the staff on the show have a bet going about the Cowboys too. It isn't looking good for Golic. He will probably be sending Bubba to Dallas' first round home game.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Welp, KC is about done now. :sigh: But it's tough to be too upset because I also root for Pittsburgh and want them to do well.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Welp, KC is about done now. :sigh: But it's tough to be too upset because I also root for Pittsburgh and want them to do well.

:banana:

The Steelers clinched a playoff spot!!!

They can win the division, and host a playoff game if they beat Cincy next week.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There will be three games next week where the winner will be division champ:

1) Carolina @ Atlanta

2) Detroit @ Green Bay

3) Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just like everybody predicted... Cowboys up 42-0 against the Colts. :chuckle:
A doctor's visit cut off my getting to a set out of today's games, but I had it a pick'em and gave Dallas the nod for home field. Didn't see that score though.

This week.

Went into today 2 - 1, took SD and Atlanta in the upset and found myself sitting pretty at 4 -1 before the Lions let me down by half a point to drive it to 4 - 2.

Carolina bit me on another half point and I was a surly 4 - 3, but then Green Bay and the Steelers restored my faith in prognostication and I was back in the cat bird seat at 6 - 3.

Had the Miami game dead even so I took Min against the Fins' absurd 6.5 favorite and it was 7 - 3. Had Houston a one point favorite so I shook off Baltimore being favored by 4.5 and that left me at 8 - 3.

Steered clear of the listing Rams and hedged the points, though I didn't see the Giants winning. 9 - 3.

Buf's untimely collapse cost me a game, 9 - 4.

Went with Dallas on a pickem and gambled. :D 10 - 4.

Seattle vs Arz: the Seahawks are a 7.5 favorite tonight. I like them by six so I'm holding out for the Cardinals to find a way.

Den @ Cin: Love what they're doing in Denver with the running game. Peyton is still the second overall rated qb (and first when you take running out of the equation) but the Bengals are tough at home.

A 3.5 line in what is nearly a pick'em game seems made to draw me into a tough defensive battle that could be decided by a fg. But I think this game is just the sort that sorts men out. I'll take Denver.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Go Cowboys!!

Both the Cowboys and Steelers clinched playoff births today.

Since the merger, it is now the 27th time that each team has made the postseason. That is the most in the NFL.

Next in line:

Minnesota - 24

San Fran - 23

Miami - 22

Philadelphia & Indy - 20

Denver & New England - 19

Status
Not open for further replies.