NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think it requires the Saints losing two of their last three. Seems doable. Let's go Saints! Lose two and get the Panthers in at 6-9-1.
:think: That would mean beating Chicago on the road tonight, then hosting and beating the improved Falcons before going to Tampa and winning out. If they get past the first two, yes, but I don't think they'll beat both. Tampa will take care of Tampa without much help.

Caledvwlch

:think: That would mean beating Chicago on the road tonight, then hosting and beating the improved Falcons before going to Tampa and winning out. If they get past the first two, yes, but I don't think they'll beat both. Tampa will take care of Tampa without much help.

I've been playing with the "Playoff Machine" on ESPN this morning. This is my personal favorite scenario, even if it is a bit far-fetched in places (especially where I need to rely on Cleveland winning one on the road):

1. Saints lose tonight in Chicago (this would surprise nobody at this point).

2. Cleveland beats the Panthers next week (iffy at best).

3. Saints beat Falcons in N.O. next week.

4. Panthers lose to Falcons in week 17 in Atlanta.

5. Saints blow it with the playoffs on the line in Tampa Bay (Saints seem to play their worst when they have the most to lose this year).

And BOOM. Falcons finish 6-10 and host an 11-5 or 12-4 wildcard team in Round 1!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here's my hope.

Denver wins out, beats a game Bengals team in a close one then pummels the Raiders.

New England is upset by either the Jets or Bills or both and lose the first seed to Denver. :)

Denver plays a run first, pick your passing spots against New England and wins a squeaker to head to the SB.

Seattle manages to lose to either the Cardinals or the Rams defense and has to face Green Bay in Green Bay, where Rogers doesn't shy from passing on the entire field this time around and shocks by beating the Seahawks convincingly.

Denver vs Green Bay as the Super Bowl with the once and future king looking to make a legacy statement and Peyton making an Elway run against a defense he was born to beat. Off into the sunset.

I may have skipped a step or two. :plain:

Caledvwlch

Here's my hope.

Denver wins out, beats a game Bengals team in a close one then pummels the Raiders.

New England is upset by either the Jets or Bills or both and lose the first seed to Denver. :)

Denver plays a run first, pick your passing spots against New England and wins a squeaker to head to the SB.

Seattle manages to lose to either the Cardinals or the Rams defense and has to face Green Bay in Green Bay, where Rogers doesn't shy from passing on the entire field this time around and shocks by beating the Seahawks convincingly.

Denver vs Green Bay as the Super Bowl with the once and future king looking to make a legacy statement and Peyton making an Elway run against a defense he was born to beat. Off into the sunset.

I may have skipped a step or two. :plain:

Not bad. I think your best bet for that New England upset is Buffalo, but this might be the shakiest part of your scenario (although not quite as shaky as my hoping for Johnny Rotten to win on the road :chuckle:).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not bad. I think your best bet for that New England upset is Buffalo, but this might be the shakiest part of your scenario (although not quite as shaky as my hoping for Johnny Rotten to win on the road :chuckle:).

But you know, part of the fun of being a fan is rationalizing and hoping, while frequently confusing the two, isn't it. :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's a real feather all right. :)
After a 3 day losing streak, including one to Oakland, I'll take whatever we can get. :eek:

Which means next week they'll lose to themselves. :mmph:
They are playing KC. :noid:

He wasn't getting any help from his defense or his offensive skill positions, but he'll do all right in the long haul, if they give him any real help, top to bottom.
I didn't watch much but during the time I watched it looked like his O-line wasn't giving him a lot of time. And I saw one dropped ball that would have been a first down.

The sort of originality you normally only see on the offensive side of the Bengals. :plain:
:chuckle:

Caledvwlch

No. I wouldn't mind seeing that. And then root for them to win a couple games. :chuckle:

I was thinking more like being brutally embarrassed in front of their home fans. Like 75 to 3 or something.

But it would also be sort of hilarious your way. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Top Ten:

1. New England: got revenge on Miami after a poor start. Looking like the team to beat but they can't sleep on the rest of their schedule. The Jets know how to play them and this isn't your usual Bills team.

2. Denver: three games with Manning as an addition to instead of the focal point. Suits me. Don't believe the "Manning has hit the wall" nonsense. The Broncos know what they're doing and it's the right thing, especially if they're going to have to win at New England come play offs.

3. Green Bay: a horrible game against a really good defensive unit only underscores this team is the anti Cowboy, unbeatable at home and hot/cold on the road. Worst Rogers outing in memory.

4. Seattle: quietly regaining much of the form they had toward the end of last year. So they're more limited offensively? Yeah. Defensively they're not as scary. Sherman can be had by the right quarterback, but overall it's hard to argue against them.

5. Dallas: making a case for being taken seriously as a division threat and more.

6. Philly: a couple of off games, but they're too good to sleep on.

7. Detroit: not a rousing win, but they're looking more and more like the kings of the north.

8. Indy: as goes Luck and he's looking spotty of late.

9. Arizona: the best of the solid to better teams without a serious QB (a-la SL, Cle, Buf, Hou and arguably Chi :)).

10. Pittsburgh: when they're good they're oh so good.

Caledvwlch

My 6 win NFC South playoff team scenario got a little more complicated last night. Saints have to now lose to Atlanta and TB. Cleveland still needs to beat the Panthers on the road, and then the Panthers need to beat Atlanta on the road in week 17. If these things don't happen, then somebody is probably getting to 7 oh-so-boring wins.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My 6 win NFC South playoff team scenario got a little more complicated last night. Saints have to now lose to Atlanta and TB. Cleveland still needs to beat the Panthers on the road, and then the Panthers need to beat Atlanta on the road in week 17. If these things don't happen, then somebody is probably getting to 7 oh-so-boring wins.
Strange couple of weeks. I've taken a point spread beating. Only called 7 right. This late in the season that's very, very unusual. You scenario looks truly, deeply stewed. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If the season ended today, Green Bay and Seattle would be the two wildcard teams in the NFC.

I don't think there were ever two wild card teams as good as these two in the same year (even though it probably won't end up this way)

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
10. Pittsburgh: when they're good they're oh so good.

I'm excited, but I have very little optimism.

First off, they have had the easiest strength of schedule in the NFL.

Secondly, their defense is not very good.

Last, they lost to Tampa Bay and the Jets.

They may make the playoffs, and might even win one playoff game, but there ain't no way they're beating Denver or New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.