NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You realize their winning percentage actually went up after Spygate, right?

The three Super Bowls they won were all by 3 points each. Having the illegal film may have given them just enough to win those games.

Once they no longer had the films, they didn't have that little edge, and they haven't won a Super Bowl since, and after going to 3 in 4 years, they have been to 2 in 9 years, losing both.

Were they a good team? Yes. IMO, having the illegal films gave them just enough of an edge, that it helped them win some games they may not have without it.

I have a hard time believing it was a coincidence that they haven't won a Super Bowl since. I don't believe in karma.

And if we want to talk "cheating" how about the 'roids that helped build the Steel Curtain?

I don't think any of the defensive players of the Steel Curtain took roids. I think it was all the offensive linemen.

If you look at Lambert, Ham, Greene, Greenwood, Shell, and Blount, they were all pretty tall and slender, and Holmes and White were just fat.

No way Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw, Harris, or Blier were taking roids.

Besides, do you really think the Steelers Offensive linemen were the only players in the league taking roids?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The three Super Bowls they won were all by 3 points each. Having the illegal film may have given them just enough to win those games.

:rotfl:

Quite an "edge," then, that film provided: A whole three points worth.

Once they no longer had the films, they didn't have that little edge, and they haven't won a Super Bowl since, and after going to 3
in 4 years, they have been to 2 in 9 years, losing both.

Again: They have won more games post-Spygate, and much more decisively (the 2007 season) than they ever did before. If they leaned so heavily on whatever they filmed you'd expect their winning percentage to immediately decline. The exact opposite happened. How can a team that was "cheating" start to win more once their "advantage" is removed?

Were they a good team? Yes. IMO, having the illegal films gave them just enough of an edge, that it helped them win some games they may not have without it.

Then explain their losses during the Spygate era. They had an "edge" their opponents did not.

I have a hard time believing it was a coincidence that they haven't won a Super Bowl since. I don't believe in karma.

Two fluke plays are your answer.

I don't think any of the defensive players of the Steel Curtain took roids. I think it was all the offensive linemen.

As a Steelers fan I'd expect no less.:yawn:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Knew I forgot something...

Well, took my first beating of the week when the Saints rolled into the Panther's back yard a 2.5 favorite. I had it two points and just couldn't bring myself to give up that half point...:mmph:

Jac @ Cin: Bengals are a 11.5 favorite with a 57/43 action split on the line. Hate the line, but I have Cin a two td favorite so I'm going to have to take it.

TB @ Cle: the Browns are a 6.5 favorite. The action agrees 69/31 and I'm all over it as well, having Cleveland an eight point winner.

Arz @ Dal: really ugly game with the injury concerns and impact. The opening line was 4.5 for Dallas, but the action is a worried 78/22 the other way. Count me on the upset that shouldn't be one. Go Cardinals. The Cowboys are 6-8 without Romo and the back up looked like he could move the offense, but this blitz happy Cardinal defense might make him wish he was still holding a clipboard.

Jet @ KC: time for another KC victory. The Chiefs are a 9.5 home favorite and I think it could go bigger. The action is 67/33 to take that line and run with it. I agree. Better luck next game, season, uniform Jets.

SD @ Mia: I hate this game...it's a pick'em 1.5 favorite nod to the home team. The action is 74/26 in favor of the Chargers. I have to take the Fins at home, but I'm not happy about it.

Was @ Min: too bad for Colt, unless RGIII stumbles seriously and maybe not even then. The Vikings are a scant 1.5 pick'em favorite. The action is 62/38 in favor of Washington. I think that's emotion and I'm taking the Vikes.

Phi @ Hou: finally, we can settle the offense/defense argument. Philly is a 2.5 road favorite. The action has it 70/30 in support of that line. I'm taking Houston to upset that line and edge them.

SL @ SF: the Niners are a serious 9.5 favorite at home. And given the opponent they should be. The action has it a less settled 55/45 for the Niners. I'm taking the points.

Den @ NE: the game everyone is waiting for. :) The Pats can play tough at home and no one knows how to scheme for Manning like Bill. So how does this play out? I have it a dead heat on the road, if Brady and company can manage their best outing. The line is 3.5 for Denver and the action has it 51/49 in nervous support.

I'm taking New England and the points. The weather looks to negate much of the passing game and I like New England's ground game better in a close one.

Oak @ Sea: the sacrificial game Seattle fans need to start stoking that mistaken sense of destiny again. The line is a whopper, with the Hawks favored by 14.5 and the action splitting 50/50 on that line, which even so tells you how the once mighty have fallen. I'll take the points. Oakland is really, really bad.

Bal @ Pit: another shake out game. The Steelers are an eyelash .5 favorite at home. The action is split 62/38 in favor of that "someone has to win, why not the home team" line. I like Baltimore to remind us why no one was talking Steelers and playoffs a couple of weeks ago.

Ind @ Gia: a rebound game with visiting Indy getting a marginally healthy road line of 3.5 favorite status. The action says "Heck yes!" to the tune of 78/22. Count me in.

Enjoy the games. :cheers:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Den @ NE: the game everyone is waiting for. :) The Pats can play tough at home and no one knows how to scheme for Manning like Bill. So how does this play out? I have it a dead heat on the road, if Brady and company can manage their best outing. The line is 3.5 for Denver and the action has it 51/49 in nervous support.

I'm taking New England and the points. The weather looks to negate much of the passing game and I like New England's ground game better in a close one.

Yes, the weather will add an interesting factor to the game. I was going to pick Denver but with the weather it's more of a toss-up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, the weather will add an interesting factor to the game. I was going to pick Denver but with the weather it's more of a toss-up.
Denver is better but at home and in the snow? Hard to call it against a surging Pats. I'm not strongly in either call, but the deck does seem stacked to give New England as much of an edge as they can muster.

Also, heard Troy Aikman compare the match up to the Bird/Magic rivalry and had to laugh, wondering if Tet was listening in.

Houston...Clowney out with another complaint? Does this mean it's time to officially wonder if he's going to be Kearsed? Kidding. Kearse had some great years early.

Daniel1611

Belicheat and Brady won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, but then they were caught cheating.

Since they were caught cheating, they have won 0 Super Bowls in 9 years.

Manning doesn't cheat, but has a tendency to throw really bad interceptions in big games.

Therefore, Joe Montana is king.

Word.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What happened to San Diego. :shocked:
They lost focus and gave up, though I had them losing.

Chiefs win. Chargers lose. :banana:
Given and anticipated, though less certainly. Also, the Fins are a team that can beat you on any given at home. At least they could most teams.

Looks like the snow isn't a problem in New England, but so far (I'm catching up on the DVR) it looks like the Broncos are out of sync. Peyton and his WRs aren't gelling and he threw a really stupid pick that set up a quick score. Couple that with a nearly muffed punt that led to a special teams melt down and a score and a missed field goal that dinged off the uprights and they're lucky to be in the game.

We'll see how it develops. I have the Pats, but I thought it would be a fg sort of game. Now back to it. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ravens, get ready. Yinz are in Stiller country tonight.

Yep

Looks like Brady is going to beat Manning one more time.

Then it's time for Big Ben vs. Flacco.

As I said before; Brady, Peyton Manning, Big Ben, and Flacco have stared 12 of the last 13 Super Bowls for the AFC teams, and it's not going to end this year.

Either Brady, Peyton, Big Ben, or Flacco will be the starter for the AFC team again in this years Super Bowl, which will make it 13 of 14 Super Bowls for the aforementioned QB's.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Looks like the snow isn't a problem in New England, but so far (I'm catching up on the DVR) it looks like the Broncos are out of sync. Peyton and his WRs aren't gelling and he threw a really stupid pick that set up a quick score. Couple that with a nearly muffed punt that led to a special teams melt down and a score and a missed field goal that dinged off the uprights and they're lucky to be in the game.

We'll see how it develops. I have the Pats, but I thought it would be a fg sort of game. Now back to it. :)
Didn't see this result coming.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yep

Looks like Brady is going to beat Manning one more time.
I had the win, but I was surprised by the margin. They never really recovered from the pick to set up a quick td and the punt disaster that ended in six. Before that I thought I might have been mistaken about the winner.

Doesn't matter. One of those games angled for the Pats. Happened before, but it's going to be Denver's year before it's said and done.

Then it's time for Big Ben vs. Flacco.
I like Baltimore, but it should be a good game.

And Ben should be considered more seriously. I think it's partly the early off field trouble and partly his comments about the coach that stayed with him when there wasn't as much reason to...left a bad taste that soured a lot of general opinion on him and he hasn't really bounced back from it. He needs a serious marketing campaign because he's quietly having a remarkable career...and that's bizarre given the rings he's wearing, even if the first one was a-la Bradshaw.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Didn't see this result coming.
Just one of those games. The two tds set Denver on their heels and they never really got over it. The Pats had one a while back and everyone was ready to panic. No need to now. Denver has the better team, but they played sloppy in the backyard of a really good opponent and paid for it.

Daniel1611

Ben is one of the best QBs overall. He can throw very accurately and very far, he can run, he's tough. And he makes plays where most other QBs would just throw it away. If Pittsburgh had an O Line he would be even better. I like Pittsburgh having Ben. He has a style similar to Elway. He can get out of the pocket and make a play. Its fun to watch. Especially when he wins a couple superbowls.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ben is one of the best QBs overall. He can throw very accurately and very far, he can run, he's tough. And he makes plays where most other QBs would just throw it away. If Pittsburgh had an O Line he would be even better. I like Pittsburgh having Ben. He has a style similar to Elway. He can get out of the pocket and make a play. Its fun to watch. Especially when he wins a couple superbowls.
He's a mobile load, hard to bring down and with a command of the pocket while retaining a real feel for throwing outside of it. It's a rare combination.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You better hope Denver gets the #1 seed in the AFC, or that New England doesn't.
I think it's likely they will, though I don't believe this game is much more than an aberration, a confluence of unlikely events that gave the Pats two tds while only having five more offensive yards than Denver. But that broke it open and the game was essentially over.

This is my only concern for Denver, a sense that I didn't have prior to this game, that there might be a lingering fragility in them, reminiscent of that Bills team after its second SB loss. Of course, that's likely an over reach, the way people shoveling dirt onto Brady and company over reached not long ago.

I can see the Broncos going to the Super Bowl, unless they have to travel to Foxboro.
Just a bad night. Nothing more than that and if the Broncos use it correctly it could be a plus over the rest of the season.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And Ben should be considered more seriously.

Big Ben went up against a good Colts defense and a good Ravens defense the last two weeks.

Big Ben's combined stats the last two games:

65/86....862 yards.....12 TD's....0 INT's.

Not to mention, 94 points put up against the Colts & Ravens.

To put it in perspective, only 12 QB's in the league have more than 12 TD's THIS season.

Status
Not open for further replies.