NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
13. Ind @ Pit: my Colts are a blistering...2.5 favorite visiting the Steelers. Action is all over that line by 84/16. I like Indy and nine so I'll take go with that line.

Luck.....Schmuck

The Colts came in not giving up a point in over 80 minutes of football. Big Ben torched the Colts defense, as the Steelers put up 51 on them.

BTW, Big Ben has thrown for 500 yards twice, Peyton Manning has never done it :chuckle:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Luck.....Schmuck
You can't win every time and who thought the Steelers would put up that much offense?

Not the Cleveland Browns, I can tell you. :nono:

The Colts came in not giving up a point in over 80 minutes of football. Big Ben torched the Colts defense, as the Steelers put up 51 on them.
Great night for them.

BTW, Big Ben has thrown for 500 yards twice, Peyton Manning has never done it :chuckle:
Or sexually assaulted anyone. And Matt Shaub threw for 500 yards in a game once. So doubling that has to be special.

But Manning did miss it. Once by 21, once by 22, once by 28, once by 38...and so on. :)

Now if you step outside of that exceptional game or two, who holds the record for the most games of 400 or more yards? I'll give you a hint, he has as many as the total number of men to throw for 500. :plain: And his name rhymes with planning.

Damian

Luck.....Schmuck

There's a lot to like about Luck. He's the real deal.

Looks like the Steelers found their second wideout - Martavis Bryant. Now they need to find another cornerback.

beloved57

My boys lost a heartbreaker ! The offense must be more consistent, didn't score a point the whole second half !

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Great night for them.

Ya...the Steelers could beat the Broncos by 10, or lose to the Raiders by 20 on any given Sunday.

There's just no consistency.

Now if you step outside of that exceptional game or two, who holds the record for the most games of 400 or more yards? I'll give you a hint, he has as many as the total number of men to throw for 500. :plain: And his name rhymes with planning.

:think:

Eli Manning?

Archie Manning?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ya...the Steelers could beat the Broncos by 10, or lose to the Raiders by 20 on any given Sunday.

There's just no consistency.
Take the Broncos out of that (being one of the few consistent teams playing this year) and you have a wider point. But even though I've had my Colts ranked pretty highly they mostly beat bums and surrendered two tds or better to the likes of Jacksonville and Houston, so they're a defensive liability. Only the Ravens game gave us any hope we might be improving on that side of the ball, but ultimately you have the players or you don't. We're short on that side.

Your Steelers are aging, but can still bring it from time to time. Great player under center and enough pieces to be disruptive, but it still feels like a rebuilding project over there.

:think:

Eli Manning?
Well, he did have one of those Big Ben, Shaub games, but no. :)

Archie Manning?
Mr. Potential, senior edition? No.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Take the Broncos out of that (being one of the few consistent teams playing this year) and you have a wider point.

I meant no consistency by the Steelers.

But even though I've had my Colts ranked pretty highly they mostly beat bums and surrendered two tds or better to the likes of Jacksonville and Houston, so they're a defensive liability. Only the Ravens game gave us any hope we might be improving on that side of the ball, but ultimately you have the players or you don't. We're short on that side.

Your Steelers are aging, but can still bring it from time to time. Great player under center and enough pieces to be disruptive, but it still feels like a rebuilding project over there.

It will probably come down to the "same old same old" in the AFC.

Since the 2000 season, there have been 14 Super Bowls. The Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, and Peyton Manning led teams have represented the AFC in 13 of the 14 Super Bowls.

I don't think it will be any different this year. Either Peyton, Brady, Roethlisberger, or Flacco will be the starting QB for the AFC in this year's Super Bowl.

Well, he did have one of those Big Ben, Shaub games, but no. :)

Mr. Potential, senior edition? No.

Can you give me another hint?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Aging?

Other than Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, and Polamalu, the Steelers have one of the youngest starting rosters in the NFL.

beloved57

Your Falcons are only a game and a half out of first place despite losing five straight.

The NFC South is a joke this year. An 8-8 record could win the division.

You still have hope.

I know, that is the only hope, we have a by week coming then to Tampa Bay, with the inconsistency of our Offence that's not a given !

If they could put together a 3 game winning streak at that time, it would be good !

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Aging?

Other than Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, and Polamalu, the Steelers have one of the youngest starting rosters in the NFL.
So other than the fellow the entire offense processes through and your best defensive player and... :eek:

Haven't looked at the starting roster top to bottom, but I know last year you were the eight oldest team, top to bottom, with your defense averaging 28 and your offense, 26.8

We have a whole week to argue Manning vs. Brady

Who is better?
According to an overwhelming majority of HOFers who played the position and before he had his last MVP or two it's Peyton. By the numbers, pre and post season, rating how they played their position, it's Manning.

The only thing Tom has on Peyton is more rings by fewer points than Peyton won in his first. Nothing wrong with Brady, who is a great signal caller and one of the best to ever play the position, but if team accomplishments were conflated with individual greatness Eli would be better than Brady or his brother and Trent Dilfer would be better than Marino. :shocked:

One of the thing that kills me about the "debate" is how some talking heads would credit Brady with making wrs great then, when they weren't getting it done early turn to the camera and opine, "What has he got to work with?" :plain:

The Berean

Isn't determining who is the "greatest" QB basically unknowable. Given how much the game has changed over the decades direct comparisons are impossible. Sure Manning put up lots of passing yards and TD's but does that necessarily mean he is the "greatest" QB? How does one define "greatest"?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Isn't determining who is the "greatest" QB basically unknowable. Given how much the game has changed over the decades direct comparisons are impossible. Sure Manning put up lots of passing yards and TD's but does that necessarily mean he is the "greatest" QB? How does one define "greatest"?
I was speaking to Tet's "between Brady and Peyton". And that one, great as Brady is, isn't a tough call.

But I do think it's easier to gauge/project current greats into the past pantheon than it is to consider how some of the old guard would do, faced with larger, faster athletes and much more complex schemes. I'd tend to think the best would always have game, but in a game of seconds maybe not quite the same level of greatness.

The Berean

I was speaking to Tet's "between Brady and Peyton". And that one, great as Brady is, isn't a tough call.
Ok, this makes sense. Since Manning and Brady are direct contemporaries a comparison is valid.

But I do think it's easier to gauge/project current greats into the past pantheon than it is to consider how some of the old guard would do, faced with larger, faster athletes and much more complex schemes. I'd tend to think the best would always have game, but in a game of seconds maybe not quite the same level of greatness.
I don't think it's that simple IMO. Take away the weight training and steroids/HGH from today's athletes and they do not have superior raw talent. For example take Jim Brown.

52490f24303ee_640.jpg

In his prime he was 6'2", 232 lbs. How many of the elite running backs of the past 30-35 years had that size? Now put Brown on a weight program and give him steroids and you have a monster on the gridiron.

Another example is Bob Hayes. He's listed at 6'0, 187 lbs.

FAMU_athlete_Robert_Hayes_practices_running_on_the_track.jpg
bob_hayes_1970_09_01.jpg

I doubt there is any player in the NFL today that is as fast as Bob Hayes was. Hayes ran 10.06 seconds for 100 meters on a chewed up dirt track at age 21 in 1964. For comparison Tyson Gaye ran 10.07 seconds at age 21 on a modern synthetic track. Gaye eventfully ran 9.69 seconds for 100 meters. Now have Bob Hayes lift weights and take steroids and what would you get?

Going back further in time Sammy Baugh and Don Hutson were amazing athletes as well and given modern advantages would be great athletes today as well.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So other than the fellow the entire offense processes through and your best defensive player and... :eek:

Haven't looked at the starting roster top to bottom, but I know last year you were the eight oldest team, top to bottom, with your defense averaging 28 and your offense, 26.8

According to an overwhelming majority of HOFers who played the position and before he had his last MVP or two it's Peyton. By the numbers, pre and post season, rating how they played their position, it's Manning.

The only thing Tom has on Peyton is more rings by fewer points than Peyton won in his first. Nothing wrong with Brady, who is a great signal caller and one of the best to ever play the position, but if team accomplishments were conflated with individual greatness Eli would be better than Brady or his brother and Trent Dilfer would be better than Marino. :shocked:

One of the thing that kills me about the "debate" is how some talking heads would credit Brady with making wrs great then, when they weren't getting it done early turn to the camera and opine, "What has he got to work with?" :plain:

As you know, I always thought Brady was the best ever, then downgraded him to second best behind Montana after his two Super Bowl loses to the Giants, but still ahead of Peyton

And I have always said that Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season QB to ever play the game.

If Manning wins the Super Bowl this year, IMO he moves up to #2.

I know you have all kinds of stats that state otherwise, but Peyton Manning's post season play reminds me too much of Barry Bonds, ARod, and Greg Norman in Majors. These guys were great, but on the biggest stage, they always faltered.

Look, I really think Peyton Manning is a great guy, everyone likes him, personality wise and ego wise, he's nothing like Bonds and ARod were. I don't root against him, or wish bad things on him.

I become the biggest Peyton Manning fan there is every time he goes up against the Patriots. I got to watch last years AFC Championship Game at a sports bar in Boston, it was one of the funnest things I ever got to experience.

If the Steelers don't make it to the Super Bowl, I'll be rooting for Peyton, but at the same time I will have the same trepidation as I did rooting for Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters when he entered the last day with a 6 stroke lead, then shot an embarrassing 78. Watching last years Super Bowl was like watching the 1996 Masters all over again. How could anyone not feel bad every time they showed Peyton on the sideline.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For example take Jim Brown.

Do you remember back in the early 80's Jim Brown was mad because he thought Franco Harris was going to beat his record for most yards rushing?

Brown challenged Franco to a 40 yard dash.

Franco never did beat Brown's record, but in 1985 they competed in a 40 yard dash at Atlantic City.

At age 34 Franco ran a 5.16

At age 48 Brown ran a 5.72

Brown did however beat Franco in the racquetball and basketball competition.

The Berean

Do you remember back in the early 80's Jim Brown was mad because he thought Franco Harris was going to beat his record for most yards rushing?

Brown challenged Franco to a 40 yard dash.

Franco never did beat Brown's record, but in 1985 they competed in a 40 yard dash at Atlantic City.

At age 34 Franco ran a 5.16

At age 48 Brown ran a 5.72

Brown did however beat Franco in the racquetball and basketball competition.
I do remember Brown was very critical of Harris because supposedly Harris would run out of bounds as opposed to running into defenders.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I do remember Brown was very critical of Harris because supposedly Harris would run out of bounds as opposed to running into defenders.

Yep, that's why Franco stayed healthy.

People here in Pittsburgh loved Franco, but were very critical of how he always ran out of bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.