NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

I see your point, but the other side of it is the complication of defenses and offensive systems and the fact that players are bigger, faster and stronger too on the defensive side.
The game is now more complex. But everyone plays in the environment so I think that is awash. I'm not taking anything away from Manning by any means. He's an amazing QB. He has set all these records because 1) he has insane QB talent and 2) he has stayed remarkably healthy through most of his career other than that neck injury a few years back.

The game is so much faster and more complicated you could argue that the generational best might put up even gaudier numbers. Look at Sammy Baugh throwing more than twenty in the 40s on multiple occasions despite the orthodoxy about running, before we get into field conditions and even the ball he used.
I have no doubt some of the earlier QB stars could put up great passing numbers today. Guys like Norm Van Brocklin were the progenitors of the modern passing QB.

The game might look amazingly slow to them and easier. Especially true for Peyton and his release time.
Again Manning would dominate in any era IMO. He has innate QB talent that would work in any pro football era.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What a crazy end to the 2nd half last night. :noway:

Todd Haley is the worst offensive coordinator the Steelers have had since 1970.

I'm sure you remember how horrible he was as a head coach in Kansas City?

The only reason he got the job with the Steelers is because his dad was the Director of Player Personnel from 1971-1990. His dad made all those great draft picks in the 70's.

Jon Gruden went nuts when the Steelers threw on first down with three minutes left, up 11 points, and on Houston's 25 yard line. The incomplete pass stopped the clock.

Gruden was right, it gave Houston 40 more seconds, and had they recovered the onside kick, the 40 seconds would have made a big difference.

No way in a million years, Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher throws the ball in that situation.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I like Peyton Manning but Cutler is a real dreamboat too.
Spoiler

USATSI_7404772_160074578_lowres.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
my top five

balt
detr
sand
indi
ariz

Denver
Indianapolis
Dallas
Arizona
Philadelphia

Denver and Indy are the only teams I have a lot of confidence in right now but I'll put Dallas, Arizona, and Philly in there for now. We'll see how long it lasts.

This Thursday is a good test with Denver and San Diego facing off.
Also Arizona plays Philadelphia this week.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Within the space of a smoke break, Peyton Manning got to the red zone. Twice.

Ya know, just end it. Put us out of our misery. Hand him the trophy, size the Broncs up for rings. Book the White House trip. Just get it over with.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Within the space of a smoke break, Peyton Manning got to the red zone. Twice.

Ya know, just end it. Put us out of our misery. Hand him the trophy, sizes the Broncs up for rings. Book the White House trip. Just get it over with.
The most serious, complete team Peyton has ever had. If they can avoid the injury bug they have to be the odds on favorite against the field. And the really curious thing is that while I have them the first to break the SB power rating I get the feeling they're still getting better.

Last night was a serious test against a playoff team that's had Peyton's number. A signature win. But the next game, in New England could be even more of a statement. He's had to play so many games against his chief rival in that back yard and the Pats have proven they can be dangerous.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The most serious, complete team Peyton has ever had. If they can avoid the injury bug they have to be the odds on favorite against the field. And the really curious thing is that while I have them the first to break the SB power rating I get the feeling they're still getting better.

Me too. For the rest of the league, that's terrifying.

Last night was a serious test against a playoff team that's had Peyton's number. A signature win. But the next game, in New England could be even more of a statement. He's had to play so many games against his chief rival in that back yard and the Pats have proven they can be dangerous.

San Diego is one of very few teams that never seems fazed or intimidated by Peyton. New England's another. That said, Chandler Jones picked a hell of a time to be out six weeks. Our pass defense is extremely good, but not good enough to stop this juggernaut.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
San Diego is one of very few teams that never seems fazed or intimidated by Peyton. New England's another.

I would include Indy, Miami, NY Jets, and Pittsburgh on the list of teams not afraid of Peyton.

Peyton Manning's record against AFC opponents (including the post season) I drew a line to show where the domination starts:

Indy 0-1
New England 7-14
Miami 5-8
San Diego 7-6
Jets 8-6
Pittsburgh 3-2

Buffalo 7-4
Tennessee 14-6
Jacksonville 15-5
Baltimore 10-3
Oakland 7-2
Denver 8-2
Houston 17-3
Kansas City 11-1
Cincy 8-0
Cleveland 6-0

The really surprising one that stands out to me is his record against Baltimore. The Ravens have had one of the best defenses throughout Peyton's career.

The really funny thing that stands out is Peyton is 14-0 against Ohio teams. That's better than Roethlisberger's record of 32-7 against Ohio teams. Big Ben and Peyton are 46-7 against Ohio :chuckle:

However, no team has dominated Peyton like the Patriots have.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking of Big Ben. This week will be the 150th game started by Roethlisberger.

If the Steelers win this week, Big Ben will become only the fourth QB in NFL history to win at least 100 games in 150 starts.

The other three QB's are:

1) Terry Bradshaw
2) Joe Montana
3) Tom Brady

JPHamilton

My Seahawks are letting me down a bit, but I think we'll get it rolling going into this week. How else will we be able to get to the Super Bowl and defeat the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.