NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
File this under, "How 'bout them Cowboys"

Dallas Cowboys reserve running back Joseph Randle was arrested for shoplifting from a suburban mall Monday night.​

Link to story

The items in question totaled less than fifty dollars. Randle will make a little under a half million this year. :rolleyes: Way to get the attention off a laudable victory over the defending champions at their own stadium and get it back where it belongs when we're talking about the Cowboys, on the miscues and screw ups.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What a complete moron. There's always something about this team.:nono: :doh:
Hard to fathom. About forty bucks worth of underwear and cologne at a Dillards...The stupidity of it is truly baffling. Where did this kid go to college? Was he a Florida State Criminole? :think:

Daniel1611

Cannot believe that Pittsburgh/Cleveland score. Pittsburgh is beating themselves with penalties. Cower did not tolerate the stupid penalties.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hard to fathom. About forty bucks worth of underwear and cologne at a Dillards...The stupidity of it is truly baffling. Where did this kid go to college? Was he a Florida State Criminole? :think:

No, they don't have to pay for things at FSU (Free Shoes University). That one is attributed to Steve Spurier, and it sure sounds like something he would say.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cannot believe that Pittsburgh/Cleveland score. Pittsburgh is beating themselves with penalties. Cower did not tolerate the stupid penalties.

I watched the replay of the first game after Tet's comment on it. It seems right in line with the second half of the first meeting. Don't look now, but Brian Hoyer is the best Browns QB since Vinny suited up (past his prime) and they didn't move to Crackmore.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Been looking at the general consensus on the top ten teams by power ranking. Some teams, like the Bengals and Pats are up and down on the lists. A few, like the Broncos (now America's team in terms of popularity) and Chargers fairly consistent across the board.

Taking the ten most prominent that I could think of, from Bleacher to SI, to Fox Sports, CBS, etc. it looks like this:

1. Den
2. SD
3. Dal
4. Phi
5. Sea
6. Arz
7. Ind
8. SF
9. GB
10. NE

I have it Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Dallas, Indianapolis, Arizona, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Kansas City, Green Bay with NE falling to honorable mention status.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tom Brady is 7-0 in Thursday games.
I just wish the organization was as committed to surrounding him with better players as Denver is with Peyton.

Speaking of head shaking, the Jets have gotten Harvin from Seattle. Seattle's best threat in the SB is also a cap drain come next year and the Hawks take yet another step back toward the pack.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just wish the organization was as committed to surrounding him with better players as Denver is with Peyton.

Does it make you scratch your head on how me makes bad decisions over and over, yet won 3 in 4?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Does it make you scratch your head on how me makes bad decisions over and over, yet won 3 in 4?
I think there's a bit of mythology overshadowing the reality of how those were won. Those three were runs were with extremely solid teams having few weaknesses to exploit, but the winning difference was their kicking game coupled with winning enough games in a weak division to secure a cold home field advantage in the playoffs that other teams in the then better conference couldn't overcome.

Take Adam off those teams and I don't think you have the three or the legacy. Best clutch kicker I've ever seen in the elements.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Falcons need to go in to Baltimore Sunday and beat them and get some respect and momentum !
Don't see it happening. I have Baltimore by better than a touchdown and potentially by as much as ten to thirteen. It looks like it's time for your coach to go. There's far too much talent on that team to excuse the poor production he's getting. If ownership doesn't make a move now I think you're looking at a situation like the Bengals had with Palmer and that group. A squandered opportunity.

The good news is that most of your pieces are still in or entering their prime years. So a coaching change would have time to make them work.

beloved57

Don't see it happening. I have Baltimore by better than a touchdown and potentially by as much as ten to thirteen. It looks like it's time for your coach to go. There's far too much talent on that team to excuse the poor production he's getting. If ownership doesn't make a move now I think you're looking at a situation like the Bengals had with Palmer and that group. A squandered opportunity.

The good news is that most of your pieces are still in or entering their prime years. So a coaching change would have time to make them work.

I hear if NYJ fire Rex, he will be headed to Atlanta to ether be Head Coach if Smith is fired, or Smiths DC, back in the day Smith worked under him !

Granite

Hall of Fame

Speaking of head shaking, the Jets have gotten Harvin from Seattle. Seattle's best threat in the SB is also a cap drain come next year and the Hawks take yet another step back toward the pack.

Ya know, I genuinely believe there is some kind of Yankee thrift (read: cheapness) behind many of the Kraft decisions over the years, as though the man simply can't help but save a buck when given a chance. It's exasperating. Here's Denver, loaded for bear, and we've got...well. The island of also-rans on offense. Trust me, Pats fans have bemoaned this for years. "Look at the weapons Peyton has!" dates back to his days in Indy, and only really went away for one season. (We know how that turned out. Funny how the two best offenses in history couldn't close the deal.)

As per Harvin...welcome to hell, dude. From contender to latrine. I knew Pete Carroll could have a mean streak but this almost looks downright punitive.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think there's a bit of mythology overshadowing the reality of how those were won. Those three were runs were with extremely solid teams having few weaknesses to exploit, but the winning difference was their kicking game coupled with winning enough games in a weak division to secure a cold home field advantage in the playoffs that other teams in the then better conference couldn't overcome.

Take Adam off those teams and I don't think you have the three or the legacy. Best clutch kicker I've ever seen in the elements.

You forget two of those AFC title games were played on the road (Heinz Field, specifically). Not exactly known for being an easy place for a visitor to play. But not a good idea to literally have your bags packed and visible to the 2001 Pats squad.

No argument about Vinatieri. The kick to send the Tuck Rule game into OT remains the damnedest kick I've ever seen. Thought for sure at first it came up just short.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ya know, I genuinely believe there is some kind of Yankee thrift (read: cheapness) behind many of the Kraft decisions over the years, as though the man simply can't help but save a buck when given a chance. It's exasperating. Here's Denver, loaded for bear, and we've got...well. The island of also-rans on offense. Trust me, Pats fans have bemoaned this for years. "Look at the weapons Peyton has!" dates back to his days in Indy, and only really went away for one season. (We know how that turned out. Funny how the two best offenses in history couldn't close the deal.)
Well, I think Peyton's Indy teams were mostly smoke and mirrors, that you had the better actual team, if without a couple of star parts that Indy managed. To me the Colts were a bit like a B version of the old Kelly Bills teams. When they ran into truly solid teams, top to bottom, they tended to end up on the bottom. Or, call it the Marino or Elway effect. A great qb taking a team that didn't belong where it would inevitably be exposed. I'd point to what happened when both our guys went down for a year as a solid case being made on the point.

That said, they should have kept Moss, added a few pieces and gone right back at it the next year. That's on Kraft. I like him, but to be that close and not to charge the gates...sheesh.

As per Harvin...welcome to hell, dude. From contender to latrine. I knew Pete Carroll could have a mean streak but this almost looks downright punitive.
And Harvin was a FORCE in that SB. He's either a real team cancer, which would be odd given that's never really leaked out from anywhere, or they think they're about to run into cap issues that would necessitate losing him or more valuable pieces (in the holistic sense) and so he pulled the trigger and made sure Percy wouldn't come back to haunt him until he'd had time to shake out and shore up, which makes sense.

And to make doubly sure I'm clear, I'm not knocking those three ring teams, only noting the greatness of Vinatieri, that tends to get a little lost in the shine of Brady and Bill.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And so it begins, leaked reports about Percy getting into a dust up with Golden before the SB, getting into an altercation on field before a pre season game, even people talking about him having that sort of issue in high school. :plain: And of course there's the whisper of him resisting going into the fourth quarter loss with Dallas, which sounds absurd and in keeping with what's being attempted here. Oh, and he almost got into a fight with his QB in this season.

So what sort of truth can we get out of that concerted smoke effort? Harvin was mercurial and problematic...and very expensive. That doesn't bother a team that's winning, but one that suddenly looks vulnerable at home? A team noted for being a bit mouthy? That team is looking for a buck to pass.

Why, we lost to Dallas because of that half hearted trouble maker we loved when we were winning. :rolleyes:

The truth is they needed to start seriously addressing cap room for next year and they know the blood is in the water. Most teams aren't afraid of Dallas and Dallas just finished demonstrating what the Broncos seemed to get at: Seattle has more in common with that one season wonder of a Bears team than it does with a dynasty.

More to come, I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.