NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If we ranked which teams had the 3 best QB's all-time, Green Bay wins by a landslide.

1) Green Bay - Bart Starr, Bret Favre, Aaron Rogers

2) Dallas - Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo

3) Colts - Johnny Unitas, Bert Jones, Peyton Manning

4) San Fran - Y.A. Tittle, Joe Montana, Steve Young
How do you put the Colts over SF? For that matter how do you put any of those ahead of SF? Are you just ring counting or what? Great company, but I think it's between your number 1 and 4 for the one spot.

Bradshaw gets a bad rap. Even by his fellow Dixieland people like you.
I loved Bradshaw. A home run hitter with a nose for the big play who elevated his game in the post season, but his completion percentage and general game would have had him Tebowed before he got the chance to show off the big game skills if he played today. And I think the first ring he had belongs to that defense.

Bradshaw threw for 300+ yards in each of his final two Super Bowls, and was the Super Bowl MVP in each. In Super Bowl XIII, Bradshaw threw for over 300 yards in the first half.
And Phil Sims was nearly perfect in his one. Who knows what we'd be saying about him if he didn't get injured and Jeff take the reigns for the second?

How many QB's have thrown for more than 300 yards in the first half of a Super Bowl?
How many had those weapons and a vertical passing game?

Dilfer threw for 153 yards in his only Super Bowl.
Sure. He threw the passes he needed to.

Bradshaw's first Super Bowl stats:

69 yds, 1 td, 0 int, 6.9 avg

Dilfer:

153 yds, 1 td, 0 int, 6.1 avg

The only others I can think of are Bob Griese and Dan Marino. Griese led the Dolphins to 3 straight Super Bowls
Griese is one of the most compelling supports for my rings don't tell you much argument. :)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Griese is one of the most compelling supports for my rings don't tell you much argument. :)

As we all know, the 1972 Dolphins are the only undefeated team...blah, blah, blah.....

However, most don't know that Griese went down in week 5, and Earl Morrall led the Dolphins to a 9-0 finish.

Then Earl Morrall started the two playoff games, and went 2-0 in the playoffs.

Then Bob Griese started the Super Bowl, and the Dolphins won.

It's kinda not fair to Earl Morrall that Griese gets all the credit for that undefeated 1972 team.

In a similar story, Brady was knocked out of the 2001 AFC Championship Game against the Steelers, and Drew Bledsoe led the Patriots to victory, only to have Brady start and play in the Super Bowl, and be the hero against the Rams.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As we all know, the 1972 Dolphins are the only undefeated team...blah, blah, blah.....

However, most don't know that Griese went down in week 5, and Earl Morrall led the Dolphins to a 9-0 finish.

Then Earl Morrall started the two playoff games, and went 2-0 in the playoffs.

Then Bob Griese started the Super Bowl, and the Dolphins won.

It's kinda not fair to Earl Morrall that Griese gets all the credit for that undefeated 1972 team.

In a similar story, Brady was knocked out of the 2001 AFC Championship Game against the Steelers, and Drew Bledsoe led the Patriots to victory, only to have Brady start and play in the Super Bowl, and be the hero against the Rams.
When was Sims hurt in the second run? I don't remember. Was it early or late?

And on a side note, remember how everyone in the media was going on about the indifference of people to the Pats in yet another SB and how it was making tickets cheap? ESPN just reported it's the most expensive ticket ever. Funny how time can sort things like that out. :chuckle:

And with that, I'm to a reading chair. :cheers:

The Berean

The Seahawks are trying to become just the seventh franchise to win consecutive Super Bowl titles.

Green Bay Packers
Super Bowl I-II

Pittsburgh Steelers
Super Bowl IX-X
Super Bowl XIII-XIV

S.F. 49ers
Super Bowl XXIII-XXIV

Dallas Cowboys
Super Bowl XXVII-XXVIII

Denver Broncos
Super Bowl XXXII-XXXIII

N.E. Patriots
Super Bowl XXXIII-XXXIX

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking of Earl Morrall

Not only did he lead the Dolphins to a 9-0 record in 1972, and then 2-0 in the playoffs, only to not play in Super Bowl VII, four years before that season, Morrall led the Colts to a 13-1 record after Unitas was hurt in the preseason, then went 2-0 in the playoffs, but was yanked in the third quarer of Super Bowl III for Unitas.

However, in Super Bowl V, Unitas got hurt in the 2nd quarter, and Morrall came in, played the rest of the game, and the Colts won.

Earl Morrall may not have been one of the greatest QB's to play the game, but he may be the all-time leader in QB Super Bowl drama.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When was Sims hurt in the second run? I don't remember. Was it early or late?

He broke his foot in the Giants 14th game.

The Giants were 11-2 before that game, and Simms was leading the NFC in passer rating.

However, Hostetler came in, and the rest is history (wide right)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't know Earl Morrall played 21 seasons in the NFL.

Yeah, he's one of those QB's that not many people alive today remember.

Another one is Daryle Lamonica.

Lamonica was 40-4 as a starting QB in the AFL.

As a starting QB in the AFL and NFL, Lamonica's final stats are 66-16-4, for a 78.4% winning percentage.

That's second best all-time to Otto Graham's combined AAFL & NFL winning percentage of 81%.

Lamonica threw for 2 TD's in Super Bowl II, but was only 15 of 34 as the Raiders lost to the Packers.

I remember Lamonica starting the 1972 playoff game against the Steelers (the game of the Immaculate Reception), only to be benched, and replaced by Ken Stabler in the second half.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
how does the 'greatest regular season qb' lose the most playoff games?

He mostly doesn't. His teams mostly do. And sometimes, as in the San Diego game Brady's team won on the way to one of their Super Bowl wins, if your team is good enough it will even win when you play a game that should sink you.

That or he's got some real rotten luck.

Or he just flat out chokes in the postseason.

you all are ignoring the fact that his inflated salary
limits how much the rest of the team gets paid
and
the team knows that

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kmoney, some reptile took over your heart...

Have you seen this interview?
Nope. Saw his commercial, where he cashes in on the won't talk song and dance. I wonder if he's going to star in a Jock Itch commercial next. KAAAAAAAAA-ching. :plain:

Also, two thirds of the betting money is on New England. I still think it's a pick'em, but I'm crunching. Toughest SB call in a while. I hope the game is as close.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Nope. Saw his commercial, where he cashes in on the won't talk song and dance. I wonder if he's going to star in a Jock Itch commercial next. KAAAAAAAAA-ching. :plain:

Also, two thirds of the betting money is on New England. I still think it's a pick'em, but I'm crunching. Toughest SB call in a while. I hope the game is as close.

I think it will be more like the patriot/raven game
multiple double digit leads
with
multiple comebacks

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think it will be more like the patriot/raven game
multiple double digit leads
with
multiple comebacks
I'm wading through numbers. It's a hard game. I hope it's a good game. But it could just as easily be a defense dominated, 17-14 sort of deal. Is Sherman Sherman? Can Seattle deal with Gronk without opening up running lanes? Can the Pats protect Brady or will they force happy feet and turnovers?

Man...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Seahawks are trying to become just the seventh franchise to win consecutive Super Bowl titles.

Green Bay Packers
Super Bowl I-II

Pittsburgh Steelers
Super Bowl IX-X
Super Bowl XIII-XIV

S.F. 49ers
Super Bowl XXIII-XXIV

Dallas Cowboys
Super Bowl XXVII-XXVIII

Denver Broncos
Super Bowl XXXII-XXXIII

N.E. Patriots
Super Bowl XXXIII-XXXIX

Teams that won a Super Bowl, but then lost a Super Bowl the very next year:

Dallas Cowboys
Super Bowl XII- XIII

Washington Redskins
Super Bowl XVII -XVIII

Green Bay Packers
Super Bowl XXXI -XXXII

Seattle will join one of the two groups. However, as we see above, teams have repeated 7 times, and lost 3 times when playing in a Super Bowl two years in a row.

So, history is on Seattle's side.

For you Patriot fans: the 3 teams that lost the next year were all from the NFC, and Seattle is in the NFC.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I'm wading through numbers. It's a hard game. I hope it's a good game. But it could just as easily be a defense dominated, 17-14 sort of deal. Is Sherman Sherman? Can Seattle deal with Gronk without opening up running lanes? Can the Pats protect Brady or will they force happy feet and turnovers?

Man...

did you see happy feet in the raven game?

Status
Not open for further replies.