NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Or, Peyton got them to the 27 yard line with little time left on the clock and their kicker missed one he'd make eight out of ten times.

Peyton was given the ball at his own 42 yard line with all 3 timeouts and over 1 minute on the clock.

That's plenty of time and plenty of timeouts to lead your team more than 30 yards.

Brady had 1:30 on the clock and no timeouts, and was able to lead the Patriots 53 yards in Super Bowl XXXVI

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not with that little time and Brady must be a real also ran to you given he's won his rings on the leg of a kicker.

Brady's team wasn't behind 3 points, it was a tie game.

In a tie game, it's a different strategy.

Roethlisberger and Montana were both behind 3 points. They could have done like Peyton and just try to tie the game, but they didn't, they went for the win, and they won.

Like I said, you can't give one example of Peyton Manning doing anything close to what Roethlisberger, Montana, and Brady did in the clutch on the big stage.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Peyton was given the ball at his own 42 yard line with all 3 timeouts and over 1 minute on the clock.
Which is nothing like the scenarios you pointed to before we get to the fact that he was facing a great defense that knew he had to throw it. He moved it into fg range by the time time was short.

That's plenty of time and plenty of timeouts to lead your team more than 30 yards.
How many have done it against your Steelers?

Brady had 1:30 on the clock and no timeouts, and was able to lead the Patriots 53 yards in Super Bowl XXXVI
Or, he led them a little further against the Panthers and ended up with a fg attempt that his kicker actually made as he had done to get them into every SB they actually won.

...Roethlisberger and Montana...could have done like Peyton and just try to tie the game, but they didn't, they went for the win, and they won.
I'm pretty sure the coach makes that decision.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I didn't know 53 yards was "a little further" than 30 yards.
Doesn't surprise me. :) He went from his 40 to the Carolina 23. He threw five passes. He completed four. Peyton attempted four and completed two. Then Adam did what Vanderjerk failed to.

Especially after reading the following:

:chuckle:
Right, the average difference between the good running teams and the lower ones, while only between a yard and two, is an impact difference when you need ten yards with essentially three plays. That translates to first downs, field position and scoring. It's big, even if it doesn't appear to be in one bite.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Is anyone else getting sick and tired of this Marshawn Lynch stuff? :doh:

:mock: Lynch

I'm sure the league will fine him more because he is breaking the rules but I kinda hope they don't so he can't pretend to be a victim anymore. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd also consider Staubach. Good size and arm strength. Could move and was a clutch performer. Otto and Unitas would be a little undersized today or I'd put them on my starter list. Young is another one who would be right in the mix. I'd take him over the glut at four on my list.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is anyone else getting sick and tired of this Marshawn Lynch stuff? :doh:

:mock: Lynch

I'm sure the league will fine him more because he is breaking the rules but I kinda hope they don't so he can't pretend to be a victim anymore. :plain:
Couldn't agree more, or:

He's a guy who doesn't respect his obligations or carry himself as a professional on or off the field while being the first to market his paper thin, faux rebel song and dance, transmogrified into a suddenly loquacious corporate shill for a buck... :plain: Yeah, he's peachy.

And Sherman...lots of angry self promotion in victory. Nowhere to be seen in defeat. Strike two.

If it wasn't for your qb and your coach you'd be the Raiders a few decades back.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Doesn't surprise me. :) He went from his 40 to the Carolina 23. He threw five passes. He completed four. Peyton attempted four and completed two. Then Adam did what Vanderjerk failed to.

I said Super Bowl XXXVI

The one were John Madden said the Patriots should just run out the clock and go to overtime.

Brady was 5 for 6, and moved his team 53 yards with no timeouts and less than a 1:30.

Peyton could never do such a thing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I said Super Bowl XXXVI

The one were John Madden said the Patriots should just run out the clock and go to overtime.
Oh, the one they might have cheated the Rams out of? :) Look, I'm not really slamming Brady, who I've repeatedly praised, in fact. I think his myth and Peyton's odder one are simply the invention of people who jumped to popular conclusions and built on them. Illusion repeated often enough to take on its own life.

But that's the great thing about football, ultimately there are few truly indisputable conclusions and how we see it and feel about it is really how the game gains and maintains its relevance to us.

So, that said, who is your qb? I'm thinking it would be fun to do the skill positions, then a whole O line (to keep from putting people to sleep) and the same sort of treatment on defense.

Now that I'm thinking Young over more I'm struggling with my one spot. I think Montana keeps it, but Young was so good and so mobile I might gamble and move him up...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How about ranking which teams have had the best 2 QB's all-time.

Here's my list:

1) San Fran - Montana & Young
2) Green Bay - Starr & Favre
3) Colts - Unitas & Peyton Manning
4) Dallas - Staubach & Aikman
5) Pittsburgh - Bradshaw & Roethlisberger

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So, that said, who is your qb?

Joe Montana

BTW, do you find it weird how Montana sat out 1992, then finished his career with KC so Steve Young could be the QB, and how Peyton sat out 2012 and is finishing his career in Denver so Andrew Luck can be the QB?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How about ranking which teams have had the best 2 QB's all-time.

Here's my list:

1) San Fran - Montana & Young
Clear number one.

2) Green Bay - Starr & Favre
Might be Favre and Rodgers before long. Though I'd take Unitas and Manning for the second spot and Aikman/Staubach for the three and drop Starr/Favre into the four spot.

5) Pittsburgh - Bradshaw & Roethlisberger
That's tougher for me. I think Terry is a lot like Dilfer, but on an even better team that kept him. Ben is underrated because he looks like a lineman and he's in an era of flash.

Others to be considered?

Rivers/Fouts, Baugh/Jurgensen, Lamonica/Stabler, Manning/Brees, Elway/Manning, Tittle/Sims? Van Brocklin/Warner?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Joe Montana
All that and we agree on the most important bit...well crap. :chuckle:

BTW, do you find it weird how Montana sat out 1992, then finished his career with KC so Steve Young could be the QB, and how Peyton sat out 2012 and is finishing his career in Denver so Andrew Luck can be the QB?
I thought about that. Two of the best hand offs in NFL history, though I think we have to add the Favre/Rodgers shift to it. Though the unique thing about SF is Joe could likely have had another ring if he'd stayed and Steve could well have had two if Joe had left a bit earlier.

I also think Jimmy being ousted in Dallas cost the Cowboys the ring that could have moved them into the rare discussion.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
good lists. russell wilson is certainly having a great career start. how many years has he been in the league ? i think, his teams have had the lead in 80+ consecutive games

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Might be Favre and Rodgers before long.

If we ranked which teams had the 3 best QB's all-time, Green Bay wins by a landslide.

1) Green Bay - Bart Starr, Bret Favre, Aaron Rogers

2) Dallas - Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo

3) Colts - Johnny Unitas, Bert Jones, Peyton Manning

4) San Fran - Y.A. Tittle, Joe Montana, Steve Young

I think Terry is a lot like Dilfer, but on an even better team that kept him.

Bradshaw gets a bad rap. Even by his fellow Dixieland people like you.

Bradshaw threw for 300+ yards in each of his final two Super Bowls, and was the Super Bowl MVP in each. In Super Bowl XIII, Bradshaw threw for over 300 yards in the first half against the defending Super Bowl champions.

How many QB's have thrown for more than 300 yards in the first half of a Super Bowl?

Dilfer threw for 153 yards total in his only Super Bowl.

Others to be considered?

The only others I can think of are Bob Griese and Dan Marino.

Griese led the Dolphins to 3 straight Super Bowls.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I also think Jimmy being ousted in Dallas cost the Cowboys the ring that could have moved them into the rare discussion.

It's scary to think what would have happened if Jerry had kept Jimmy.

IMO, that was one of the most talented teams in the history of the NFL, and they were all young and in their prime when Jimmy got canned.

Status
Not open for further replies.