NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not so sure hitting 1,000 yards proves much other than that you have a running back that is in the top half as far as individual production.

Edgerrin James had four 1,500+ seasons, and led the league in rushing twice while playing with Peyton Manning.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh I think you got there a long time ago.

Rather, let's look at the effectiveness of the rushing game instead of pretending that having a couple of backs, one great (for a year) and another really good for a couple more makes a difference.

Rank by yards gained/average per gain comparison:

1998: 26th/17th
1999:19th/12th
2000: 16th/5th
2001: 7th/4th
2002: 26th/29th
2003: 19th/26th
2004: 15th/11th
2005: 16th/24th
2006: 18th/16th
2007: 18th/22nd
2008: 31st/32nd
2009: 32nd/30th
2010: 29th/25th

So yeah, for most of his Colts career Peyton didn't have an effective rushing attack, cracking the top ten in either category a whopping twice and mostly playing sub league average. The last five or six especially forgettable.

Er, no.

The reason the Colts "yards gained" is ranked low is because if you look at their "rushing play percentage" they consistently threw the ball more than other teams.

As for the "average per gain" comparison, if you pick a any year, there's a little more than a 1 yard difference between the first team and the last team.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Er, no.

The reason the Colts "yards gained" is ranked low is because if you look at their "rushing play percentage" they consistently threw the ball more than other teams.
In 2006 they ranked 18th and 16th in yds/per attempt while ranking about that in attempts per game (18th).

Now in terms of attempts, in the year when they ranked worst for them, collectively, they attempted 5.6 fewer rushing attempts than the 10th rated team. Now that actually tells you something. They ran the ball. They just didn't get much out of it. They threw and played spotty defense and that, even in the hands of an all time great, will only take you so far. It's more surprising that they managed to get to and win a SB, let alone get to two.

As for the "average per gain" comparison, if you pick a any year, there's a little more than a 1 yard difference between the first team and the last team.
2010: leading 5.4 per carry, weakest, 3.6 per carry.
2008: leading 5.0 per carry, weakest, 3.4 per carry.
2004: leading 5.1 per carry, weakest, 3.5 per carry.

That said, this is a game of position and inches and a yard over three plays is huge in its impact.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So...who would you take as your 1st team QB, everyone is on the board?

With me...

1. Montana
2. Marino
3. Peyton
4. There's a logjam. But while I suspect Marino is the sleeper it's hard to argue with been there and done that superbly, so Montana it remains for me.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yet none of those where the year he won the Super Bowl.

Yeah I know, you're making my point.

For example, in 2005 Peyton Manning had a team that had Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dwight Freeney on it. The team had 8 Pro-Bowler's on it.

Despite starting the season 13-0, having the #1 seed, and a home playoff game........ Peyton still managed to somehow do a "one-and-done".

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So...who would you take as your 1st team QB, everyone is on the board?

For regular season, postseason, or both.

If it's postseason or both, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino aren't even in my Top 10.

If it's regular season only, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino are #1 and #2 on my list.

shagster01

For example, in 2005 Peyton Manning had a team that had Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dwight Freeney on it. The team had 8 Pro-Bowler's on it.

Despite starting the season 13-0, having the #1 seed, and a home playoff game........ Peyton still managed to somehow do a "one-and-done".

Yes, Peyton managed to somehow do a "one-and-done" by marching the team down the field in the final minutes and setting them up in field goal range, only to have Vanderjact miss it for the loss.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

It's even more amazing how he managed that with a td, no ints, 290 yds and a quarterback rating of over 90 (which is really, really good). :rolleyes:

For regular season, postseason, or both.

If it's postseason or both, Peyton Manning and Dan Marino aren't even in my Top 10.
Then you're officially out of your mind, but thanks. That helps contextualize your conclusions for anyone who isn't drinking.

Yes, Peyton managed to somehow do a "one-and-done" by marching the team down the field in the final minutes and setting them up in field goal range, only to have Vanderjact miss it for the loss.
Yeah. Darn him. He should have tried harder to get his kicker to...:plain:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Peyton managed to somehow do a "one-and-done" by marching the team down the field in the final minutes and setting them up in field goal range

Um....that's not what happened. Unless taking a team 30 yards is what you call "marching a team down the field".

Peyton got sacked on his own 2 yard line on fourth down, then Jerome Bettis fumbled, and Nick Harper returned it to the Colts 42 yard line.

So, with all three timeouts and over a minute left in the game, all Peyton was able to do was lead his team to the Pittsburgh 28 (a 30 yard drive), which resulted in their idiot kicker missing a 46 yard field goal.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Um....that's not what happened. Unless taking a team 30 yards is what you call "marching a team down the field".

Peyton got sacked on his own 2 yard line on fourth down, then Jerome Bettis fumbled, and Nick Harper returned it to the Colts 42 yard line.

So, with all three timeouts and over a minute left in the game, all Peyton was able to do was lead his team to the Pittsburgh 28 (a 30 yard drive), which resulted in their idiot kicker missing a 46 yard field goal.

shades of scott norwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0r8wBL4QU

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's even more amazing how he managed that with a td, no ints, 290 yds and a quarterback rating of over 90 (which is really, really good). :rolleyes:

When it came crunch time, he didn't get it done.

His defense gave him the ball at almost midfield, and all he was able to do was lead his team 30 yards.

Not to mention he was sacked 5 times in the game, and if not for a terrible call by the officials, he threw an interception in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line.

shagster01

Peyton put them in position to score, but they did not.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
by marching the team down the field in the final minutes

Remember what Ben Roethlisberger did in the Super Bowl XLIII?

Down 3 points, with just over 2 minutes left in the game, and after a holding penalty put the ball on his own 10 yard line, Big Ben took the team 90 yards for the winning TD.

That's what I call "marching his team down the field in the final minutes"

Peyton Manning has never even come close to doing anything like that in a big game.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Peyton put them in position to score, but they did not.

A clutch QB would have led his team to a victory by scoring a TD, not hoping an idiot kicker makes a 46 yard field goal.

Along with what Roethlisberger did in Super Bowl XLIII, Montana did the same thing to the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII.

Both QB's were down 3 points, and led their teams to TD's in a big game in the final minute.

Peyton Manning was down 3 points, and could only lead his team 30 yards, and they lost.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When it came crunch time, he didn't get it done.

His defense gave him the ball at almost midfield, and all he was able to do was lead his team 30 yards.
Or, Peyton got them to the 27 yard line with little time left on the clock and their kicker missed one he'd make eight out of ten times.

Not to mention he was sacked 5 times in the game
Which goes to my not so great team/great quarterback line.

The attempt at interception was a remarkable play by Troy that didn't work out, a beautiful diving attempt, not a poor play.

A clutch QB would have led his team to a victory by scoring a TD, not hoping an idiot kicker makes a 46 yard field goal.
Not with that little time and Brady must be a real also ran to you given he's won his rings on the leg of a kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.