Jesus is God

Jesus is God

• Total voters

keypurr

I see your post as another example of "pretzel logic" to keep you from dealing with the truth that the Bible is an inspired product of real human beings who actually lived in historical time.

Your wrong here, I do believe this but some scripture has been corrupted for many years.

Too many believers in my view are unable to take the sacred language in their own scriptures any way but literal, 20th century ways. This is alright as far as it goes but it denies the richness of our faith and the centrality of Jesus.

When the Enlightenment came, we began to think that ancient peoples ("other" peoples) told dumb, literal stories that we were now smart enough to recognize as such.

Not quite.

Those ancient people told smart, metaphorical stories that we were now dumb enough to take literally.

Good point

oatmeal

Rather:
  • The Divine Nature itself is not human.
  • Yet, God chose to take on a human nature in Jesus Christ without in any way losing his Divine Nature.
  • Therefore, Jesus Christ is God "in the flesh" (Incarnate).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

What?

No link nor scripture?

You are slipping

I could make plenty of statements as if I could find them in scripture.

That takes little or no homework.

Just a loose canon.

oatmeal

Try the NASB;

1 Corinthians 8:6 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

nuff said.

That is very nice.

Yet, your version of that verse contradicts many verses like I Timothy 2:5, Acts 2:22;10:38... and hundreds more

You trins are faithful to your doctrine, too bad, you avoid so many scriptures that are repugnant to your silly interpretations of scripture

oatmeal

Hopefully, you're not a teacher? If you were, I'd skip
class every day!

Yes you would and you would continue to remain ignorant of scripture and the science of language.

the texts do not contain commas, periods, or any such punctuation. Leaving the punctuation out is how to let that scripture speak for itself

oatmeal

I didn't know Moses was a god.

Perhaps the Mormons were right all along

Exodus 7:1 KJV is right there to read. For anyone to read, anyone that wants the big picture on this subject.

Since it obvious that the word "god" elohim, theos, etc. cannot mean or refer to "the Creator" in all its uses, the definition of the words theos and elohim must be understood in its most general and basic meaning

a being, person, object or idea that is of perceived greater power and/or authority , a title indicating that perception or status.

with that definition, the various usages of god in scripture are covered much better.

With that definition that title of god can fit with God the Creator to any and all false gods and everything in between.

including men who God calls or makes to be a god. Exodus 7:1 KJV, John 10:34-35, Hebrews 1:8 and similar and related passages.

Surely, since scripture is God's word, we must give it the respect due to the Author

oatmeal

Where does it say Thomas said "a god". That is not what the scriptures say.
Even the NWT cannot change it!

It says, "My LORD and my GOD!"

That is correct.

Now take your vehement desire for accuracy and apply it to verses like Acts 2:22, Exodus 7:1 KJV, John 10:34-35, I Timothy 2:5 and John 20:31, John 5:30, and John 1:1,14, John 17:17, .... and hundreds of others

When you do, you will find out that the trinity is not taught by scripture.

That Jesus is not God the son, a non scriptural term,

but

That Jesus is the son of God

The male offspring of the Creator for whom God created all things

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Truth hurts, I know, been there, done that.

Suggest that you read a couple of books by Professor Bart Ehrman:
The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture.
Forged

Two very good books to start your studies on. He has other books too which are of great interest.

Hopefully, the books you're pushing don't have any of your 'bizarre'
theories included?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned

Forged

Two very good books to start your studies on. He has other books too which are of great interest.

No thanks, the numbers in the bible ended up perfect. Truth doesn't need to be altered by you or your book friends

keypurr

Hopefully, the books you're pushing don't have any of your 'bizarre'
theories included?

NO, my theory is not in it. But there is a wealth of information in his books. He is the head of the Theology Department at UNC at Chapel hill. He is a world authority on Hebrew and Greek. Now he is an agnostic, for he does not think a loving God would make people suffer.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
NO, my theory is not in it. But there is a wealth of information in his books. He is the head of the Theology Department at UNC at Chapel hill. He is a world authority on Hebrew and Greek. Now he is an agnostic, for he does not think a loving God would make people suffer.

I see! Do you have any books you can recommended by "Atheists?"

keypurr

No thanks, the numbers in the bible ended up perfect. Truth doesn't need to be altered by you or your book friends

So you do not wish to learn?

This author has a much higher understanding than you or I will ever have about scriptures. If I were you I would reconsider. You need help if you think Jesus is God.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Forged

Bart Ehrman :down:

Why would you place confidence in his conclusions over men who actually believe the Bible?