Is White Privilege Real?

glassjester

You know the father named his son Sue because he knew he wouldn't be there for him, and wanted him to get tough.

I wonder how that particular motivation might relate to so-called "black names."

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yikes. Bit of a surprise ending, there.

yeah, shel was pretty twisted

You know the father named his son Sue because he knew he wouldn't be there for him, and wanted him to get tough.

I wonder how that particular motivation might relate to so-called "black names."

iirc, they occurred about the same time as black nationalism started, the back to africa movement and a whole bunch of other nonsense

it boggles me that tards like town think it unfair that those saddled with names intended to emphasize their differentness should be treated differently

ok doser

Well it is unfair, in that the individual didn't choose his name.

one chooses which name they use

for example, if I were saddled with "Shamiqua", I could choose to legally change it to something more mainstream, or I could choose to identify myself as something else - even "Shami" would be an improvement

I have a couple of friends who don't like their first names and go by their middle names - very few people outside their families know what their real names are

likewise, if i was saddled with "adolf hitler" by my neo-nazi parents and I wanted to go mainstream, i wouldn't expect society to ignore my name - i'd change it

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well it is unfair, in that the individual didn't choose his name.
No glass, what's unfair is discriminating against someone because their name doesn't evoke a sense of someone who looks like you, not that you didn't get to choose your name. What's sad is that bigots are so empowered that someone would have to consider their name to appease the impulse.

Yolanda might not stir the same sense of ease in some as Elizabeth, but that internal issue shouldn't be Yolanda's problem. It's the problem of the person with the irrational bias.

glassjester

No glass, what's unfair is discriminating against someone because their name doesn't evoke a sense of someone who looks like you, not that you didn't get to choose your name. What's sad is that bigots are so empowered that someone would have to consider their name to appease the impulse.

Yolanda might not stir the same sense of ease in some as Elizabeth, but that internal issue shouldn't be Yolanda's problem. It's the problem of the person with the irrational bias.

I never argued that it's fair to discriminate based on someone's name. I don't think it is fair to do that.

But there's been no reason presented (so far) to suggest that name discrimination doesn't happen against "white names," too.

ok doser

No, it isn't.

i'd disagree

i'd argue that choosing to retain that name and use it is indicative of a psychology/personality i would rather avoid

same as with other names that are indicative of ignorance or a lack of education, like bubba or shaniqua

ok doser

But you wouldn't know if you were right until you at least met and spoke a little with the person, right?

right, but if i'm winnowing through 700 job applications for one job, all other things being equal, "adolf hitler johnson" goes in the circular file

glassjester

right, but if i'm winnowing through 700 job applications for one job, all other things being equal, "adolf hitler johnson" goes in the circular file

Sure. Except in social psychology experiments, though, all other things will pretty much never be equal.

How much better would Adolf Hitler Johnson have to be than John Smith to get an interview?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I never argued that it's fair to discriminate based on someone's name.
But you're still putting in a little distance, a little sanitation, gj. People aren't responding to an inherent problem with phonemes, they're responding to the inference of them in relation to the race or ethnicity of the person. And that's worse than unfair, it's illegal.

I don't think it is fair to do that.
I didn't think you did. But the point isn't how either of us feel about it, but what people have and continue to do about it.

But there's been no reason presented (so far) to suggest that name discrimination doesn't happen against "white names," too.
Then you're just not paying attention. All the data comes back that white names get more attention and callbacks, to name one. Look up cases and investigations involving housing stings relating to equal housing provisions. Look at the data the employer friendly EEOC has about corporate misbehavior along racial lines, and so on.