Is White Privilege Real?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Did you already cite one of these?
I have. There are a couple of threads ongoing on the topic and this is one that's come around a few times, so I'd have to look to see where and if time allows I'll post more, but it's easy enough to find with Google. I know I recently referenced judicial investigations I'd published prior, on disparate sentencing and indictment for the same crimes among the races.

I said his point that parents choose their children's names was fair.
You said "And Doser raises a fair point about names being a choice the parents make." But Sod's point wasn't that parents choose their children's names. His point went a bit beyond that in relation to allocating responsibility. And so my response that it's madness to suggest I should limit the naming of my child to a range that will not immediately allow the bigotry of others to become involved in the hiring process, delaying it at least until the interview stage.

And how do you know a more familiar sounding name would only buy time?
Because the studies demonstrate it. Did you know college educated blacks have two times the unemployment rate as college educated whites? There are all sorts of ways to see the impact of race. I noted a number of huge companies who've been sued and beaten on the point, the success of the ever reluctant Equal Opportunity enforcement wing of the federal government, etc. It's simply not a point of empirical debate.

Because of a lot of data, some of it presented here:
Spoiler
We have...repeatedly.
He understands that. The advantages born of preference and prejudice and how that narrows opportunity and is evidenced in any number of ways, from the statistics on white attitudes about race to the response that engenders. I posted an example of a woman who had two job seeking profiles on Monster. The one that sounded "white" received a great many more contacts and interest than the more "ethnic" name. There are studies demonstrating that sort of thing on a wider scale. And then there are yearly reports, complaints and successful suits reflecting willful discrimination in housing, hiring and promotion. That racism and its influence is still a problem for out compact isn't debatable among people who inform themselves.

"Racial discrimination charges increased 484 percent between the 1980-1989 decade and the 1990-1999 decade." IMDiversity.com, Oct. 29, 2012

In the past twenty years a number of high profile discrimination suits have been won by complainants against corporations like FedEx, Coca-Cola, Sarah Lee, Xerox, Waffle House, Evian, and even the Library of Congress.

The "EEOC resolved 92,641 charges in fiscal year 2015, and secured more than $525 million for victims of discrimination in private sector and state and local government workplaces through voluntary resolutions and litigation." Press release from 2/11/16

And the EEOC is notoriously hard when it comes to supporting and rejecting claims to forward. They're a dismissal friendly institution, as are most government agencies related. It's the same with disability claims. I had to have judges denials overturned on appeal half the time I took on a case, and I never lost an administrative appeal. Judges tend to err on the side of power at the lower levels.

Race was a factor in over 34% of those settlements/litigations and a large number of the problems noted were systemic in nature.

That's the forest. Here's a tree. Monica Harwell entered a job program to train women for power giant Con Ed. She was both a woman and black and found herself struggling to be treated with the respect and afforded the opportunity given to white men in her situation.
"...she took jobs that gave her the experience she needed to move up and earned a series of degrees in night school, including an associate degree, a bachelor's degree, a master's degree and a certificate in electrical engineering. But Harwell claims it was never enough.
"In virtually every case of Con Ed rejecting her applications, the successful applicant was a white man who was less qualified than Ms. Harwell by experience, education or both."

Earlier this year, the advocacy group Restaurant Opportunities Centers United, published a report on the restaurant industry which found that white applicants were given longer job interviews than non-white applicants. White applicants also reported being treated in a friendlier manner than applicants of color and were twice as likely to be offered employment. CNN Money, from Working While Brown, Nov. 25, 2015​

According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, following a field experiment using Chicago and Boston newspapers, resumes were forwarded with African-American (names remarkably common within the black community) or white sounding names (like Walsh or Baker). Otherwise the particulars were identical (or identical across a range). The results?

Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback. This would suggest either employer prejudice or employer perception that race signals lower productivity.

The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note in Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination (NBER Working Paper No. 9873). It indicates that a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience.

Race, the authors add, also affects the reward to having a better resume. Whites with higher quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower quality resumes. But the positive impact of a better resume for those with Africa-American names was much smaller.

"While one may have expected that improved credentials may alleviate employers' fear that African-American applicants are deficient in some unobservable skills, this is not the case in our data," the authors write. "Discrimination therefore appears to bite twice, making it harder not only for African-Americans to find a job but also to improve their employability." NBER, Employers' Replies to Racial Names, Feb. 20, 2017

And so it goes...

A more useful study, perhaps, would be one in which the resumes and names did not differ at all, but the only variable was instead a box checked off under "race" on the application.
No, then you're looking at the impact of willful and overt racism. If you want overt look at the hiring and firing practices, as with Google a few years ago, among the list of offenders noted prior. If you want to see the impact outside of that, look at equally qualified resumes with disparate ethnic insinuations and then observe if a pattern emerges.

It does.

What if it was to help her family assimilate more easily into American society? Is that sad?
Again, "If she was echoing the other note, it's a sad commentary on the pressures inherent with being the outlier."

By the way, neither of them resent their names or feel in any way negatively affected by the "American-sounding" names they were given.
See, that's part of the problem. Those aren't "American" names. They're European names more commonly found among the descendants of Europeans who settled here in larger numbers first and established the power structure. See how that subtle influence can move assumptions and the choices that flow from them? They just manipulated you.

glassjester

I have. There are a couple of threads ongoing on the topic and this is one that's come around a few times, so I'd have to look to see where and if time allows I'll post more, but it's easy enough to find with Google. I know I recently referenced judicial investigations I'd published prior, on disparate sentencing and indictment for the same crimes among the races.

You said "And Doser raises a fair point about names being a choice the parents make." But Sod's point wasn't that parents choose their children's names. His point went a bit beyond that in relation to allocating responsibility. And so my response that it's madness to suggest I should limit the naming of my child to a range that will not immediately allow the bigotry of others to become involved in the hiring process, delaying it at least until the interview stage.

You're assuming that. Has there been a study which addresses that hypothesis? I would be interested to read it.

Because the studies demonstrate it. Did you know college educated blacks have two times the unemployment rate as college educated whites?

With the same degrees, from the same colleges, in the same fields of study?
It would be a bit deceptive to make that claim without controlling for those variables, wouldn't it?

There are all sorts of ways to see the impact of race. I noted a number of huge companies who've been sued and beaten on the point, the success of the ever reluctant Equal Opportunity enforcement wing of the federal government, etc. It's simply not a point of empirical debate.

Your assumption, then, being that this is happening, undetected, all over the country? Alright. But realize that it is an assumption.

Race, the authors add, also affects the reward to having a better resume. Whites with higher quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower quality resumes. But the positive impact of a better resume for those with Africa-American names was much smaller.

What's an African-American name? And why wouldn't the same difficulties arise for a white guy with an African-American name?

No, then you're looking at the impact of willful and overt racism. If you want overt look at the hiring and firing practices, as with Google a few years ago, among the list of offenders noted prior.

Alright, I will read what you linked about Google.

If you want to see the impact outside of that, look at equally qualified resumes with disparate ethnic insinuations and then observe if a pattern emerges.

Still, unless race is the only variable, we can't possibly know if race is the cause of the disparity.
How do we know names like Wolfgang and Ursula wouldn't cause the same problems for people?

Again, "If she was echoing the other note, it's a sad commentary on the pressures inherent with being the outlier."

No one's crying about it, man.

See, that's part of the problem. Those aren't "American" names. They're European names more commonly found among the descendants of Europeans who settled here in larger numbers first and established the power structure. See how that subtle influence can move assumptions and the choices that flow from them? They just manipulated you.

No, I put the term in quotes for the same reason you did.

But come to think of it, for how many centuries should American moms name their babies John before you would consider that name to be American, too?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're assuming that.
I don't believe that's true, but given you put that single sentence in lieu of rebuttal after a block containing more than one point...

Has there been a study which addresses that hypothesis? I would be interested to read it.
Which hypothesis and I doubt it. :eek: I suspect you'd simply find something else to delay/deny/mitigate the damage from what a number of studies have been fairly clear in support of, which is the existence of white privilege/advantage, both historically and in the present.

With the same degrees, from the same colleges, in the same fields of study?
You need to understand that when you're dealing with a wide enough study the overall is meaningful, is itself a form of control. Or, as not all degrees or students possessing them are equal, looking across a large sample will produce results that have statistical and empirical value as equally general points. This is one of those. Further studies into particular degrees could produce, "But are they from the same college? Are they from the same college from people who have the same economic background?" And so forth. And I believe some of the material I've referenced went into particulars like that. I'll cast about for more later. Today's a full one and my time here is limited.

It would be a bit deceptive to make that claim without controlling for those variables, wouldn't it?
Not at all. If you were looking for that particular (and I think difficult to manage given how far down the rabbit hole you can go, supra) a finding. But if you were curious about how large populations performed or were treated in relation provided you have a large enough sample it's meaningful. And it's echoed in successful litigation and other data, as with arrests, prosecutions and sentencing disparities where the controlling variables for the crime are uniform noted in any number of serious studies reflecting poorly on the racial inequities demonstrable within the criminal justice system.

Your assumption, then, being that this is happening, undetected, all over the country? Alright. But realize that it is an assumption.
It's not an assumption. There are instances across the country yearly. Even the employer friendly EEOC recognizes that yearly in its report. And that's before you get into private suits, wins and settlements by corporations and small businesses caught in the act, so to speak.

What's an African-American name? And why wouldn't the same difficulties arise for a white guy with an African-American name?
It's in the material and supplemental I provided. If DeShaun Johnson is applying for a job most people will make a racial assumption. And if Greg Bower is applying, another and different assumption will be made. The latter question is largely without much merit, given we're addressing both the rule and its impact and not whether someone might name their second generation child of Swedish origin and stock LeQuan, though the surname would tend to confuse the issue or suggest the potential for interracial progeny.

Alright, I will read what you linked about Google.
Just go to the EEOC or research their findings. They reject a good deal that leads to successful suit, so they're a good canary on the problem. And they go after companies across the nation.

Still, unless race is the only variable, we can't possibly know if race is the cause of the disparity.
No, you really need to read the report I noted on racial names. It's not hard to see the impact or understand the methodology, but you have to wade in.

How do we know names like Wolfgang and Ursula wouldn't cause the same problems for people?
How do we know European names wouldn't play badly to people of European descent? :plain: It might be that someone with a Russian surname could have a less favorable response than someone with a French surname, I suppose. But white sounding names in general fare better than black sounding names, which is the point here. There are all sorts of interesting potential studies on the impact of perception outside of that and maybe one of them would make for a separate discussion and thread.

No one's crying about it, man.
No one is asking you to. And that's not really an answer on the actual point, is it.

No, I put the term in quotes for the same reason you did.
I use quotes referencing terms as used in the studies and articles I cite. You used "American-sounding" and "American" to make the point about the names given by your grandmother. You all seem fine with it, which is your right. But I'm noting the assumption in that, one that weds race to national identity. In that is part of the problem and part of the reason for Anglicizing identity on the part of many immigrants.

But come to think of it, for how many centuries should American moms name their babies John before you would consider that name to be American, too?
This isn't about what I think, but about how people respond and try as you do to negate it, your own personal/family example upholds the problem found in the impulse to fit in by assuming a traditional marker for a different ethnic and racial profile.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
maybe today quip can step up to the plate:

When white people do nothing they retain the advantage ....
and perhaps someday you'll get around to teling us exactly what that advantage is
We have...repeatedly.

The fact that you can blithely ignore this advantage ...
what advantage?

be specific
You've been informed...again...repeatedly.
with vague generalities, examples of historical wrongs that no longer apply and references to statistics

ok, then give me one specific, current example (of an advantage that whites enjoy)

ok doser

You need to understand that when you're dealing with a wide enough study the overall is meaningful, is itself a form of control. Or, as not all degrees or students possessing them are equal, looking across a large sample will produce results that have statistical and empirical value as equally general points. This is one of those.

because you say so?

so far, what i'm getting is that the advantage whites have over blacks is that they're not stupid enough to name their children "trayvon" or "laqueesha"

it would be interesting to see how employers responded to names associated with ignorant whites, like "billybob" or "cletus" or "bubba"

ok doser

This isn't about what I think, but about how people respond and try as you do to negate it, your own personal/family example upholds the problem found in the impulse to fit in by assuming a traditional marker for a different ethnic and racial profile.

nice evasion

answer me this - what do the courts/police call an unidentified black man/body?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
because you say so?
No, because it's methodologically sound and I'm not here to teach statistical models. If someone doesn't understand them then they don't belong in the conversation and if they do they're free to check the model and studies themselves. And that's literally the extent of my engagement with you. I'm not going to discuss the topic or read through whatever that laundry list was in relation to posts I skipped. You don't rate. Every time I bother to make the attempt you roll it into one of your "retard" troll fests.

No thanks. :e4e:

so far, what i'm getting is that the advantage whites have over blacks is that they're not stupid enough to name their children "trayvon" or "laqueesha"
Have a nice day, bigot.

ok doser

Have a nice day, bigot.

Ben Carson:

Spoiler
BCcurrent.jpg

Trayvon Martin:

Spoiler
ua-tr1yv4n.jpg

glassjester

I don't believe that's true, but given you put that single sentence in lieu of rebuttal after a block containing more than one point...

Your assumption was that the bigotry would only be delayed until the interview.

Which hypothesis

That the disparity that shows up when the variable is a name, would also show up when the variable is actually just race (in a checkbox on an application, or possibly a photo)

You need to understand that when you're dealing with a wide enough study the overall is meaningful, is itself a form of control.

But it could just be caused by a difference in the field of work each group tends to go into, couldn't it?

In that article about Google, the author notes that Black and Hispanic Americans combined make up only 5% of computer science degree-holders in the country. Well then what percent of a tech company's leadership should Black people comprise? It certainly couldn't be 13% (similar to the general population); in fact that would be extremely disproportionate to the number Black people that hold CS degrees.

I'll cast about for more later. Today's a full one and my time here is limited.

Alright, thanks.

ok doser

just something to ponder today

the phenomenon of "black" names is a recent one, since my youth

it started (and continues) as a method for the black community to distance themselves from the mainstream, to create and maintain a separate "black" identity, that has become - for valid reasons - synonymous with poor academic achievement, criminality, the ghetto/thug culture...

is it any wonder that employers shy away from that?

ok doser

In that article about Google, the author notes that Black and Hispanic Americans combined make up only 5% of computer science degree-holders in the country. Well then what percent of a tech company's leadership should Black people comprise? It certainly couldn't be 13% (similar to the general population); in fact that would be extremely disproportionate to the number Black people that hold CS degrees.

in 2008 we elected a black man to the highest executive office in the land - a man with no executive experience

it seems discriminatory to deny minorities tech jobs merely because they lack training or qualifications

ok doser

Top 20 'Whitest' and 'Blackest' Names

By ABC News Sept. 21, 2006

Studies of resumes have found that people with black-sounding names are less likely to get callbacks.

"20/20" put 22 pairs of names to the test, posting identical resumes except for the names at the top.

The resumes with the white-sounding names were actually downloaded 17 percent more often by job recruiters than the resumes with black-sounding names.

What are some of those names? Here's a list from the book "Freakonomics," by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, showing the top 20 whitest- and blackest-sounding girl and boy names.

20 "Whitest" Girl Names

Molly

Amy

Claire

Emily

Katie

Madeline

Katelyn

Emma

Abigail

Carly

Jenna

Heather

Katherine

Caitlin

Kaitlin

Holly

Allison

Kaitlyn

Hannah

Kathryn

20 "Blackest" Girl Names

Imani

Ebony

Shanice

Aaliyah

Precious

Nia

Deja

Diamond

Asia

Aliyah

Jada

Tierra

Tiara

Kiara

Jazmine

Jasmin

Jazmin

Jasmine

Alexus

Raven

20 "Whitest" Boy Names

Jake

Connor

Tanner

Wyatt

Cody

Dustin

Luke

Jack

Scott

Logan

Cole

Lucas

Bradley

Jacob

Garrett

Dylan

Maxwell

Hunter

Brett

Colin

20 "Blackest" Boy Names

DeShawn

DeAndre

Marquis

Darnell

Terrell

Malik

Trevon

Tyrone

Willie

Dominique

Demetrius

Reginald

Jamal

Maurice

Jalen

Darius

Xavier

Terrance

Andre

Darryl

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/top-20-whitest-blackest-names/story?id=2470131

ok doser

yeah, i disagreed with a lot of them - note that this was from 2006

the archetypal black sounding girl's name in my experience is some variant of Shamiqua

ok doser

worth noting that in the white boy's names list, no appearance of my name, my dad's name, my sons' names, my cousins' names - in fact, not a single reference to anybody in my extended family (including spouses) going back generations and out to second cousins

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
This white baby and mother experienced the privilege of being white:

Racist woman-hater spat in baby’s face and shouted ‘white people shouldn’t breed’

A man has been spared jail after he spat in a nine-month-old baby’s face and shouted ‘white people shouldn’t breed’.

Rezzas Abdulla targeted Layla-Jean in her pushchair last January in South Shields while she was out with her mother, Rebecca Telford.

He approached without warning, lent into the pushchair and spat. Prosecutor Emma Dowling told the court that he then made his racist comment before walking off.

When Rebecca confronted him he told her to ‘shut the f*** up’ then walked off.

Abdulla, who has two previous convictions for race-hate attacks on white females, was later tracked down through CCTV.

Abdulla, from South Shields, was convicted of racially aggravated common assault after a trial at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court, which he did not attend.

In a victim impact statement Rebecca told the police: ‘I am completely disgusted and distressed that a grown man, regardless of race or religion, would spit on a defenceless baby in a completely unprovoked attack.

‘If he had just walked by I would not have even noticed him, there was no eye contact and no words had been exchanged. I had never seen him before.’

The court heard that Layla-Jeam, now almost two, was taken to the doctor after the attack for tests amid fears she could have contracted TB.

Rebecca added: ‘I believe he spat on her purely because we are white, I was a lone female and an easy target.’

Mr Recorder Darren Preston told Abdulla: ‘There is something viscerally horrible and disgusting about spitting at someone, particularly in the face and to do so to a baby was particularly disgusting, let alone to make things even worse when your motivation for doing so is racial hatred.’

The judge referred to Abdulla’s previous convictions and told him: ‘You have got a problem, it seems to me, with white women.’

Abdulla received psychiatric treatment following the attack and it is believed his mental health had deteriorated in the run-up to the attack.

Speaking after the court case today Rebecca added: ‘South Shields is really multicultural, and I have never witnessed anything like this before, between any races. It was horrifying. I am glad he has been brought to justice, but I think he has got off lightly.

‘I am not racist at all but I honestly think if it was the other way round and I had been abusive towards him, then I would have been treated differently.

‘I had been doing a bit of shopping and was just round the corner from my house.

‘I saw a man walking in the opposite direction and then as he passed us he stopped, leaned into the pram, spat on Layla-Jean, and said, ‘White people should not breed’.

‘It was horrendous, I was just so shocked. It was the racism that disgusted me. I started yelling at him and he just walked away.

‘Layla Jean was just nine months old. She did not have a clue what was going on, but she was still distressed.

‘A lady stopped and helped me to wipe her face. I didn’t call the police at first because I was just so worried about Layla-Jean. She was only nine months at the time.

‘I phoned the doctor and I was told that Layla-Jean might need to have a BCG injection, in case she had contracted TB.

‘Normally kids don’t get vaccinated until they are much older, and it would have been a lot for her to go through. Luckily, it wasn’t necessary in the end, but it put me through a lot of worry and stress.

‘I wasn’t sure if the police would take what had happened seriously, because it wasn’t physically violent, but they were fantastic, and managed to catch him within a few days.’

Sick animal. And liberals want these monsters streaming in.

Danoh

in 2008 we elected a black man to the highest executive office in the land - a man with no executive experience

it seems discriminatory to deny minorities tech jobs merely because they lack training or qualifications

"What do you mean 'we'- kimosabe..." lol