Is White Privilege Real?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
and who is forcing poor urban blacks to name their children with those bizarre names?

if you were a recruiter, would you be more apt to offer an interview to Mary Smith (who might be white or black) or Laqueesha Washington?
I'd call in the most qualified and interview to weed if the competition was close enough to warrant it. That's how it should be done. If the ethnic impression of a name influences you then it's time to reconsider you as someone who needs to have the job of hiring.

so it appears that "white privilege" is knowing enough not to saddle your child with a name that will lessen his opportunities
Only if you're ignorant enough to think the problem is singularly or mostly about names, instead of recognizing in it a reflection of the larger bias that responds to the idea of blackness with discrimination. And you don't "saddle" your children with someone else's racism, but I'm not surprised by that sort of buck passing.

Reactions: Lon

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'd call in the most qualified and interview to weed if the competition was close enough to warrant it. That's how it should be done. If the ethnic impression of a name influences you then it's time to reconsider you as someone who needs to have the job of hiring.

Only if you're ignorant enough to think the problem is singularly or mostly about names, instead of recognizing in it a reflection of the larger bias that responds to the idea of blackness with discrimination. And you don't "saddle" your children with someone else's racism, but I'm not surprised by that sort of buck passing.

if a white nationalist named his child Adolf Hitler Ferguson, you don't think there might be some blowback during his life?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You're comparing being perceived as black with evoking a Hitler association?

yes, in each case you are (as I said) saddling the child with a handicap

no one forces the white nationalist to do it

no one forces the ghetto black to do it

in each case, they have chosen to give an advantage to those of their peers who aren't complete retards

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Being gifted doesn't get you anywhere unless you apply yourself.

apparently whites are privileged in that they recognize that determination and effort are advantageous

Yep. I attended a school for gifted students, that i had to test into. The school was 50 percent white and 50 percent black. (they counted those of other minorities as white students, so blacks got a full 50 percent)

now being that black is about 13 percent of the population, doesn't that give them already quite a privilege and all OTHER races had to achieve more and work much higher?

Same with companies, idiot planners who believe that affirmative action to "level" the playing field, means color is a qualification (in effect saying blacks aren't as smart or capable so whose the racist there?)

It also means their quotas, misrepresent actual populations, as there SHOULD be more white workers, being that white/Hispanic is a larger percentage of the population that black.

The only time this should shift, is if the area of the employment has a larger black percentage, THEN one could make a case perhaps of a problem.

Facts aren't racist.

As for a bad example i saw quoted from the Chicago times that blacks are more likely to be shot by a cop than whites, yes, IN CHICAGO, not nationwide and gang banging in Chicago is constant. Poster as usual was disingenuous with facts, but what do you expect from liberals.

True facts:

In absolute numbers, more white people than black people are killed in police shootings (because white people outnumber black people in America).
From snopes, you libbies love that site so i chose it for you.

Blacks far outnumber whites in gang banging areas of Chicago so OF COURSE more blacks are killed by cops there. To use that statement as a catch all, is disingenuous/inexperienced/uneducated/propaganda or at worse, a downright lie.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I welcome your evidence, should you care to produce it.

I am passing out from all the popcorn....

large-event-popcorn-machine-rentals.jpg

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
so you admit you were giving her something to think about

ok, then's let's return to the question you've been dodging before angel od's on popcorn:

can you explain why your hurt feelings should be heeded by others?

Too late... passes out..

glassjester

I'd call in the most qualified and interview to weed if the competition was close enough to warrant it.

Hello, TH!

I think that the studies involving employer responses to black-sounding names vs. white-sounding names are the most compelling evidence. But I don't know that it's simply a matter of "black names" vs. "white names." It may very well be that people subconsciously (or even consciously) favor things (and names) that seem more familiar to them.

I wonder if the same disparities might come up in a study involving less common, or perhaps more antiquated "white names." Or maybe in a study simply pitting common names against uncommon names.

And Doser raises a fair point about names being a choice the parents make. There is (or maybe was) a tendency for new immigrants to give their children very "American sounding" names, in order to help them assimilate and participate in society.

My wife's grandmother came here from China. Her sons (my wife's father and uncle), born here, are named John and William. She gave them Chinese names, too. But that's not what's on their driver's licenses.

Was it in any way wrong or foolish for her to give them American-sounding names?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think that the studies involving employer responses to black-sounding names vs. white-sounding names are the most compelling evidence. But I don't know that it's simply a matter of "black names" vs. "white names." It may very well be that people subconsciously (or even consciously) favor things (and names) that seem more familiar to them.
They correlate well with studies where blacks have physically gone through process, applied for an apartment, etc. to be met with very different replies and call backs. And the more ethnic sounding names being preferable as a screening instrument goes to my point, rather than against it.

And Doser raises a fair point about names being a choice the parents make.
It really isn't a "fair point" though. He compares names that evoke minorities with a name that evokes Hitler. And he's suggesting that people name their children to conform to a bigoted impulse to buy what, time before they're seen and that same impulse chooses to pass them over?

There is (or maybe was) a tendency for new immigrants to give their children very "American sounding" names, in order to help them assimilate and participate in society.
Which also supports my note and the response to black sounding names.

Was it in any way wrong or foolish for her to give them American-sounding names?
It depends on the point. If it was because she meant to celebrate the new home it's one thing. If she was echoing the other note, it's a sad commentary on the pressures inherent with being the outlier.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hello, TH!

I wonder if the same disparities might come up in a study involving less common, or perhaps more antiquated "white names." Or maybe in a study simply pitting common names against uncommon names.

And Doser raises a fair point about names being a choice the parents make. There is (or maybe was) a tendency for new immigrants to give their children very "American sounding" names, in order to help them assimilate and participate in society.

My wife's grandmother came here from China. Her sons (my wife's father and uncle), born here, are named John and William. She gave them Chinese names, too. But that's not what's on their driver's licenses.

Better not name them penelope or robbie: (Language, and hope you arent white and seeing any of these blacks out anywhere.) But there is no way this is racist in ANY WAY, its totally unclear that its racist. (watch the whole thing)

fool

Hall of Fame
He understands that. The advantages born of preference and prejudice and how that narrows opportunity and is evidenced in any number of ways, from the statistics on white attitudes about race to the response that engenders. I posted an example of a woman who had two job seeking profiles on Monster. The one that sounded "white" received a great many more contacts and interest than the more "ethnic" name.
So, now what are "white" and "ethnic"?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For the willfully obtuse then, a couple of studies/notes:

New Study Confirms Depressing Truth About Names And Racial Bias (link)

A Politifact treatment of the study on call backs by the NBER (link)

The problem is reflected in many large companies. Companies like Google:

"Lack of diversity within top-tier companies has recently come under scrutiny. Just last month, Google revealed only 2% of the company's global workforce was black, and 3% Hispanic." Forbes, June 14, 2014

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
^
That's where 'equal opportunity' loses it's meaning and becomes 'forced equality'.

Google is going to be called racist instead of anyone acknowledging that if you go into any school, there aren't many black people choosing to enter computer technology, logistics, or whatever else falls under a job at Google.

They all become FedEx drivers, or police officers, or warehouse workers (that's probably what represents the black demographic by my educated guess)- the blue collar and public service departments.

glassjester

They correlate well with studies where blacks have physically gone through process, applied for an apartment, etc. to be met with very different replies and call backs.

Did you already cite one of these?

It really isn't a "fair point" though. He compares names that evoke minorities with a name that evokes Hitler. And he's suggesting that people name their children to conform to a bigoted impulse to buy what, time before they're seen and that same impulse chooses to pass them over?

I didn't say his comparison to Hitler was fair. I said his point that parents choose their children's names was fair. And how do you know a more familiar sounding name would only buy time? A more useful study, perhaps, would be one in which the resumes and names did not differ at all, but the only variable was instead a box checked off under "race" on the application.

It depends on the point. If it was because she meant to celebrate the new home it's one thing. If she was echoing the other note, it's a sad commentary on the pressures inherent with being the outlier.

What if it was to help her family assimilate more easily into American society? Is that sad?

By the way, neither of them resent their names or feel in any way negatively affected by the "American-sounding" names they were given. So why is it sad?

Reactions: Lon