Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

mitchellmckain

You seem to suggest that our Bibles should have translated the word "punishment" as torment. Are you aware of any translation that does such?
I suggested no such thing. I said word κόλασιν is translated both as "punishment" and as "torment" (1 John 4:18 KJV) and the meaning of these two words do overlap. Certainly we should be careful about attributing anything implied by the English usage of the word "punishment" which is not part of the original Greek word. For example, punishment is usually employed for behavior modification and certainly neither eternal torment nor annihilation would fit that usage.

You also seem to suggest that DEATH, the real type, not a metaphorical reference, would not be an eternal punishment. If it is not an eternal punishment, then when does it end? If the dead of the second death come back again, THEN it would be dishonest to call it eternal, would it not?
??? I never said anything about any "coming back", but the Bible does speak of the dead returning to life, or resurrection. But like Paul in 1 Cor 15 I do not believe in physical resurrection but spiritual resurrection, that is resurrection to a spiritual body.

Next, in Matthew 25, if the word is punishment, it is a noun, but if it is punishing, it is a process. What does it say? Is it a noun or a verb?
The word is κόλασιν translated both as torment and punishment. It is preceded by the word αἰώνιον translated both as eternal and everlasting. If it meant "final death" or "oblivion" or "non-being" or "end to existence" or "annihilation" then that is what it would have said. But instead it is consistent with Luke 16, and contrasts eternal life with everlasting punishment.

And for the last question, for now, where does Genesis teach that there are two kinds of death?

Death is defined very clearly in Genesis, that as a result of their sin, man will return unto dust.
God said on the day you eat of the fruit you will die. I think God told the truth. It talks about man returning to dust but clearly this is something Adam and Eve did not do on the day they ate of the fruit. Thus we have two kinds of death, one where our bodies return to dust and one where something else happens.

Why do you think that the setting of the parable was intended to teach others that the setting was applicable for real people, rather than the two fictional characters?
Why do you think that the setting of the parable was meant to teach people that they will either go to heaven or simply disappear. Why dictate what I think and then ask me why I think that way?

Here is what I actually think: Jesus used the words eternal fire and eternal torment and in Luke 16 we see him giving a description which clearly describes a conscious experience. What I do not see is any valid justification for is dismissing this in order to replace it with a completely different teaching.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) biblical or not?

Which verses in the Bible support ECT and which verses in the bible support the doctrine that the wicked perish instead?

The phrase "Eternal Conscious Torment" is so ignorant and so dumb that its just plain annoying. The real Conscious Torment is having to read dumb posts that say "Eternal Conscious Torment."

The real subject at hand is the immortality of the soul. Every person will live forever. The question is, will he/she live in union with God or not. If not, then that is by his/her own choice during this life.

Rosenritter

If resurrection is not to mean the physical body then the resurrection of Jesus was no resurrection.
We are told that we shall be raised as Christ was raised, and Job said that he would see God when he was restored in the flesh.

Acts 24:14-15 KJV
But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: [15] And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

I am inclined to believe that Paul's understanding of the resurrection included physical restoration to life, in agreement with Moses and the prophets.

Rosenritter

The phrase "Eternal Conscious Torment" is so ignorant and so dumb that its just plain annoying. The real Conscious Torment is having to read dumb posts that say "Eternal Conscious Torment."

The real subject at hand is the immortality of the soul. Every person will live forever. The question is, will he/she live in union with God or not. If not, then that is by his/her own choice during this life.
Is the title not accurate? Is it not describing a Faith in torment that is experienced consciously and for eternity?

So "immortality of the soul" is certainly the foundation that Eternal Conscious Torment usually demands. Can you show me where the Bible says that souls are immortal? The Pope didn't decree Immortality of the Soul until the sixteenth century!

Ezekiel 18:4 KJV
Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Sounds like the soul is not immortal but can die... God says one thing, Pope says another, whom shall I believe?

Rosenritter

I suggested no such thing. I said word κόλασιν is translated both as "punishment" and as "torment" (1 John 4:18 KJV) and the meaning of these two words do overlap. Certainly we should be careful about attributing anything implied by the English usage of the word "punishment" which is not part of the original Greek word. For example, punishment is usually employed for behavior modification and certainly neither eternal torment nor annihilation would fit that usage.

So for clarification, you do believe the correct translation of Matthew 25 (the parable of the sheep and the goats) is "these shall go into eternal punishment" and not "these shall go into eternal torment."

??? I never said anything about any "coming back", but the Bible does speak of the dead returning to life, or resurrection. But like Paul in 1 Cor 15 I do not believe in physical resurrection but spiritual resurrection, that is resurrection to a spiritual body.

Also for clarification, you are no longer disputing that eternal death is an eternal punishment, granting that death is a punishment, and that the quality of permanency grants it the descriptor of eternal. I think we may be able to set aside the nature of resurrected bodies for the moment, but perhaps consider that the resurrected saints can first be raised to life in the most physical and dramatic way, and then changed when they are made immortal, and incorruptible, and this would not contradict scripture in any fashion.

The word is κόλασιν translated both as torment and punishment. It is preceded by the word αἰώνιον translated both as eternal and everlasting. If it meant "final death" or "oblivion" or "non-being" or "end to existence" or "annihilation" then that is what it would have said. But instead it is consistent with Luke 16, and contrasts eternal life with everlasting punishment.

Your logic meets failure here. A permanent death is an eternal punishment, and the text does not say "never ending torment" as you try to suggest. To the contrary, other descriptions of this punishment of death invoke fire and speak of being reduced to ashes, being as chaff consumed in a fire, as fire consumes the fat of lambs, as brambles and roots and stubble burnt up by flame, with the strongest language that can mean to destroy, not preserve. I could also say that if Jesus wanted to say that the goats would be tormented without out end, that it would have been incumbent upon him to say so clearly. As it is we must read the parable in the light of the repeated and clear language that tells us that the wicked shall be burnt up, go down into darkness and silence, to be no more.

You haven't support for Eternal Conscious Torment from the separation of the sheep and the goats. The wages of sin is death, it says in Romans. It does not say "the wages of sin is everlasting torments" and in John Jesus says that those who do not receive eternal life shall perish. Perish is a clear word, and is the opposite of to be preserved. If Jesus meant "preserved" then he would have said so.

God said on the day you eat of the fruit you will die. I think God told the truth. It talks about man returning to dust but clearly this is something Adam and Eve did not do on the day they ate of the fruit. Thus we have two kinds of death, one where our bodies return to dust and one where something else happens.

Check your Bible closely. God did not say that Adam and Eve would die on the day they ate the fruit. He said that on that day they *shall* die... *shall* has a different meaning than will. "Will" is when a thing "will" happen, "shall" is when a thing is "declared" or "pronounced." I could show you other Old Testament examples of "shall" being used when it is clearly obvious that the thing itself did not happen that day. Regardless, the point here is that "different type of death" is not something taught, but something that you assumed.

When Adam and Eve did eat of the fruit, the sentence went into effect. On that day they should surely die, and they were told exactly what that meant, and how it would happen. They would toil for their bread, live by their sweat, and return unto dust. No other type of death is described, let alone taught. And we are told when Adam died, which wasn't for another 960 years. But "dying he shall die" was certain sure and fixed.

Why do you think that the setting of the parable was meant to teach people that they will either go to heaven or simply disappear. Why dictate what I think and then ask me why I think that way?

Here is what I actually think: Jesus used the words eternal fire and eternal torment and in Luke 16 we see him giving a description which clearly describes a conscious experience. What I do not see is any valid justification for is dismissing this in order to replace it with a completely different teaching.

I don't think the parable teaches that people go to heaven, disappear, or are tormented in an afterlife. That's totally not the message of the parable, and such an interpretation would make Jesus contradict himself in other passages as well... as well as previous scripture, of which Jesus said that he did not come to destroy, but to fulfill. When Jesus spoke to the Sadducees he told them that God is not the God of the dead, but of the living, thus the resurrection of the dead is clearly shown. If Abraham was alive or conscious in any state, this would have contradicted Jesus and he would not have shown any necessary reason for the resurrection for God to be the "God of the living."

The setting of the parable contrasts the Jew and Gentile, and the fictional settings of the "Jewish Reward" and "Gentile Hades" are swapped from the two characters. If you do read the Greek (and I think you do) you will notice that this hell is "Hades" whereas every where else that Jesus speaks of a fiery hell he uses a different word instead. "Hades" is a well known element of Greek stories. People go to Hades, attempt to rescue their friend or lover, and return.

But in this parable, the rich man makes such a request and it is denied. He is told that his brethren have "Moses and the prophets" and do not need him to go back to them. If the parable is really to teach that "the afterlife includes eternal torment" then you should also be able to show where this is clearly taught in Moses and the prophets, it would not be a new revelation. Also, the required elements of that parable for this "torment in afterlife" doctrine should also not be contradicted by any statements from Moses and the prophets.

However, if the parable is as I have described, and contrasting the Jew and the Gentile, as to whom shall now be comforted when the Jewish nation rejects Him and will not listen even if He comes Back from the Dead (as both an actual Lazarus and Jesus did, and they did not listen) then I should be able to show how the characters are clearly shown, and also be able to prove that this meaning is consistent with other parables. Which I can. The rich man also has a name, his name is Judah, thus the reference to purple, fine linen, and five brothers. And other parables reinforce the same message, such as the parable of the vineyard. The vineyard shall be taken away and given to others, "God forbid" they said.

Why do you think that this rich man is described as having Moses and the prophets, with Abraham as his father, clothed in purple and fine linen, and having five brothers? That's awfully descriptive, don't you think?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Rosenritter

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

And the hell fire preachers call out and threaten, "you shall not surely die, you shall be tormented and tortured without mercy and without end for trillions of years, and then your nightmare has scarce begun!" But God loves you so much that he will not do that to some people.Maybe if you are lucky you can live in bliss knowing that it is others being tormented for no redemptive purpose!

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And the hell fire preachers call out and threaten, "you shall not surely die, you shall be tormented and tortured without mercy and without end for trillions of years, and then your nightmare has scarce begun!" But God loves you so much that he will not do that to some people.Maybe if you are lucky you can live in bliss knowing that it is others being tormented for no redemptive purpose!

Another problem is that of the babies of the wicked who die young.

They say they are going to Heaven until they reach the age of accountability.

Do they mean they go to Heaven and then go to hell if not yet saved?

They just make things up.

LA

Rosenritter

Another problem is that of the babies of the wicked who die young.

They say they are going to Heaven until they reach the age of accountability.

Do they mean they go to Heaven and then go to hell if not yet saved?

They just make things up.

LA

Eternal conscious torment proponents do not have a consistent answer there. Calvinists torture babies for infinity unless they were elected babies. I think Catholics have Limbo which is a heaven or hell lite. Protestants sometimes have a magical "age of accountability" which if consistently believed, should be an incentive to commit genocide and mass slayings of children. The Calvinist and Catholic models work for genocide as well for that matter, not just picking on Protestant Eternal Conscious Tormentors, since limbo isn't so bad (better than hell anyway?) and if all was predetermined then nothing you could do would change the future or violate God's will, so if it feels good, DO IT, because it was preordained.

Sorry for the ranting. Bound to make everyone mad but maybe it will help if people stop and think about the natural results of what it is they say they believe.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Eternal conscious torment proponents do not have a consistent answer there. Calvinists torture babies for infinity unless they were elected babies. I think Catholics have Limbo which is a heaven or hell lite. Protestants sometimes have a magical "age of accountability" which if consistently believed, should be an incentive to commit genocide and mass slayings of children. The Calvinist and Catholic models work for genocide as well for that matter, not just picking on Protestant Eternal Conscious Tormentors, since limbo isn't so bad (better than hell anyway?) and if all was predetermined then nothing you could do would change the future or violate God's will, so if it feels good, DO IT, because it was preordained.

Sorry for the ranting. Bound to make everyone mad but maybe it will help if people stop and think about the natural results of what it is they say they believe.

The children of the righteous who die young must be with their parents in my view. Mat 25.

Lot and willing family.

Act 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. Act 16:15

And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1Co 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1Co 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
1Co 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

LA

Rosenritter

The children of the righteous who die young must be with their parents in my view. Mat 25.

The righteous are dead until the resurrection. It describes them as resting in peace, not ascending into the glory of heaven.

Isa 57:1-2 KJV
(1) The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.
(2) He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

Heb 11:13 KJV
(13) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

As to what shall happen to young children in the future resurrection, I assume that they shall also see resurrection. It does say that the small and great shall stand before God, and children would count as small, would they not? But past this I don't see much that would give a definitive answer on how the judgment shall judge children. I have speculation, but not enough scripture to make it what I would consider solid.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The righteous are dead until the resurrection. It describes them as resting in peace, not ascending into the glory of heaven.

Isa 57:1-2 KJV
(1) The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.
(2) He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

Heb 11:13 KJV
(13) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

As to what shall happen to young children in the future resurrection, I assume that they shall also see resurrection. It does say that the small and great shall stand before God, and children would count as small, would they not? But past this I don't see much that would give a definitive answer on how the judgment shall judge children. I have speculation, but not enough scripture to make it what I would consider solid.

Ok.

The children of the wicked will perish forever, possible only in the grave.

LA

Rosenritter

Ok.

The children of the wicked will perish forever, possible only in the grave.

LA

Did you just exclude children from the resurrection of the dead?

Revelation 20:12-13 KJV
(12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
(13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Did you just exclude children from the resurrection of the dead?

Revelation 20:12-13 KJV
(12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
(13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Babies of the wicked who die before weaning can not be given eternal life, or be cast into hellfire.

Such would be as abhorrent as ECT.

Have you considered that?

LA

Rosenritter

Babies of the wicked who die before weaning can not be given eternal life, or be cast into hellfire.

LA

I have no idea what you are presuming at this point. Would you like to back up a few steps and state your assumptions? First, would you clearly say whether you believe in the resurrection of the dead, and whether God really meant it when he said that the dead would stand before God, small and great?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have no idea what you are presuming at this point. Would you like to back up a few steps and state your assumptions? First, would you clearly say whether you believe in the resurrection of the dead, and whether God really meant it when he said that the dead would stand before God, small and great?

If you do not know my beliefs then you should read my posts.

Small and great do not refer to age.

LA

Arthur Brain

LA

Well, the latter would certainly be as abhorrent although the merit or lack thereof of a child's parents shouldn't have anything to do with anything. The whole concept of eternal torment is just sick.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Updates and progress notes.......

Updates and progress notes.......

Well, the latter would certainly be as abhorrent although the merit or lack thereof of a child's parents shouldn't have anything to do with anything. The whole concept of eternal torment is just sick.

Yep, my former challenge and questioning of such insanity, especially by a loving God, if by his own power he detains and confines souls to a state of eternal torment and suffering (from which there is no relief or rememdy). Such is so illogical and abhorrant to any sensible person as to inspire a wholesale rejection of such a 'god' (and here we would have to further explore the philosophical and moral aspects of such, and 'free will'.

For newbies to the thread interested in my commentary on the subject go here :) (post links to former dialogue in this and other threads, and other resource links).

I continue to maintain that while this particular discussion is about whether ECT is "biblical" (a somewhat arbitrary term anyone can slap on their favorite 'doctrine'), I advocate research into all religious, philosophic and scientific schools and traditions on the subject, which is at last finally evaluated and considered by one's own conscience, reason, logic and spiritual intelligence. If a so called 'religious passage' or 'scripture' is inimical to such, it is to be re-evaluated and/or rejected. All things must at last pass by one's 'conscience' (the law of God written in one's own heart/soul) and the Spirit of truth (whose wisdom concurs with the harmony of all laws and principles of existence).

I've also brought up the law of karma (or 'law of compensation') as it factors into the equation here, since all actions have their following consequences, so this law of 'sowing and reaping' is integral here in the determining of conditions and destinies. There is much more to consider than just a 'black n white' duality of 'heaven' or 'hell', since by relativity and conditioning there are a multiplicity of levels, degrees and gradations. We have a fun go at 'karma' here :) (Way 2 go started this thread to challenge my commentaries on karma, so I respond).

In-joy!

Rosenritter

If you do not know my beliefs then you should read my posts.

Small and great do not refer to age.

LA

I should not have to hunt through the treasure troves of Theology Online archives to ask what you believe about something on this forum. When you won't give a straight answer it hinders honest communication. Shall I assume that you do believe that the small and great shall all stand before God?

Yes, small and great doesn't specifically refer to age, but it is meant to be inclusive of everyone. A wee babe is small and an ancient king is great. Children are definitely in the "small" category regardless of their physical size. Are you aware of some scripture that would overturn this classification, that says that children shall not be resurrected?