Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

lifeisgood

In the parable the son was dead figuratively. He would have starved, so the figure points to the soon to be reality, literal physical death.

However, he was dead. You cannot change that. I cannot change that.

Apparently some in TOL believe that 'death' can only mean 'physical death'. The Bible contradicts that premise. Now, you do not have to agree with the Bible.

Cross Reference

My point exactly! Adam knew; however, he did not have faith in the One he knew.

No wonder Jesus said, "Thomas, because you have seen me [because you know me], you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen [don't know me like you do Thomas], and yet have believed [know Me].

Which only makes Adam's "unbelief" the greater offense, doesn't it? Adam, the man who named all the animals with God looking on in approval.

Timotheos

Yes, he was dead. The Bible says so: “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

Here is an example when you do not agree with the Bible.

Actually, I do agree with the Bible.

The son was NOT dead. He was feeding pigs. Dead people CANNOT feed pigs. If you hire a dead man to feed your pigs, your pigs will soon be dead too. They will starve to death. Because the dead man you hired can't feed them. Because he is dead. You know how tell if a man is dead or alive? One GOOD way to tell is if they are feeding pigs. If they are feeding pigs, you know that they are NOT DEAD!

Timotheos

However, he was dead. You cannot change that. I cannot change that.

Apparently some in TOL believe that 'death' can only mean 'physical death'. The Bible contradicts that premise. Now, you do not have to agree with the Bible.

The Bible does not ever say that "death" means "really alive and not dead at all."
Please show the Chapter and Verse from the Bible that says "Death means Life." While you are at it show the verses that say "Black means White", "Up means Down", "Day means Night", "Dogs are really Cats", and "Pigs Can Fly".

lifeisgood

The Bible does not ever say that "death" means "really alive and not dead at all."
Please show the Chapter and Verse from the Bible that says "Death means Life." While you are at it show the verses that say "Black means White", "Up means Down", "Day means Night", "Dogs are really Cats", and "Pigs Can Fly".

Another example that you do not agree with certain verses in the Bible.

Timotheos

Why is it so important to you that I show you anything? You do not need my approval. You are the one who will have to account for your belief and I for mine.

Because you are the one who lied and said that I do not believe the Bible.
That's a harsh accusation and I am asking for some proof. A person is innocent until proven guilty. You made an accusation, you should either provide evidence or withdraw your false accusation. You know that it is a sin to bear false witness, don't you? You know that the wages of sin is death, don't you? Do you really want to go before Jesus Christ on Judgment Day and try to explain to Him why you are bearing false witness against me?

lifeisgood

Actually, I do agree with the Bible.

The son was NOT dead. He was feeding pigs.

Yes, he was dead. The Bible says so: “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

Dead people CANNOT feed pigs.

Sure they can. The Bible says: “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

If you hire a dead man to feed your pigs, your pigs will soon be dead too. They will starve to death. Because the dead man you hired can't feed them. Because he is dead. You know how tell if a man is dead or alive? One GOOD way to tell is if they are feeding pigs. If they are feeding pigs, you know that they are NOT DEAD!

However, the Bible says: “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

lifeisgood

Because you are the one who lied and said that I do not believe the Bible.
That's a harsh accusation and I am asking for some proof. A person is innocent until proven guilty. You made an accusation, you should either provide evidence or withdraw your false accusation. You know that it is a sin to bear false witness, don't you? You know that the wages of sin is death, don't you? Do you really want to go before Jesus Christ on Judgment Day and try to explain to Him why you are bearing false witness against me?

Now, you are making things up. I said that you do not agree with some verses in the Bible.

Can't help you if you lost your reading understanding glasses.

Timotheos

Now, you are making things up. I said that you do not agree with some verses in the Bible.

Can't help you if you lost your reading understanding glasses.

And I asked you "Which Verses?" And you didn't answer. You just repeated your baseless accusation.
Tell it to God, I don't care what you think.

Timotheos

Sure they can. The Bible says: “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

However, the Bible says: “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

Your inability to read the Bible proves that your doctrine of eternal torture in hell is false.
The prodigal son was not dead. The fact that the father THOUGHT he was dead is not proof that the son WAS dead. Learn how to read.

lifeisgood

The Bible says that all those who have died—both righteous and wicked—will be raised to life in one of two resurrections.

The righteous will be raised to life at Jesus’ second coming. “ For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.” (1 Thessalonians 4:16, NKJV).

The wicked are raised to life in a separate resurrection—the resurrection of condemnation. Jesus said, “Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.” (John 5:28, 29, NKJV).

The wicked are said to suffer “shame” and “everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:2).

In Matthew 10:28 Christ spoke of both body and soul being “destroyed” in hell. “Destroyed” is from the term apollumi, an intensified verbal form hinting of “utter destruction.” Annihilationists interpret this as meaning “going out of existence,” but the word does not imply that, as the consultation of a Greek concordance will reveal. Homer employed the term of a city demolished or laid waste (Iliad 5.648). In the New Testament the term might be used of old, cracked wineskins (Matthew 9:17), fading beauty (James 1:11), spoiled food (John 6:27), or a lost sheep (Luke 15:4). (https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1329-resurrection-of-the-wicked-the)

Jesus describes the punishment of hell as a condition “where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:48).

lifeisgood

Your inability to read the Bible proves that your doctrine of eternal torture in hell is false.
The prodigal son was not dead. The fact that the father THOUGHT he was dead is not proof that the son WAS dead. Learn how to read.

You, Timotheos, do not agree with this verse in the Bible.

Timotheos

You, Timotheos, do not agree with this verse in the Bible.

Here is the parable of the prodigal son. Read it. The son did not die in the parable. You are mistaken.

11And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15So he went and hired himself out tob one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.

17“But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ 20And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’c 22But the father said to his servants,d ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.

25“Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”

Rosenritter

This is the OP of my new thread in the ECT forum that I hope "my friends" will read and participate.. I fully realize that words mean something and all too often require insight for accurate/complete understanding. I have endeavored to be as succinct as is possosile, given my education. I pray much can be gleaned for it. For this reason I ask for all to tread lightly because this is NOT an exhausted paper. Thank you:

God does not grant eternal life to anyone reconciled to Him anymore than He does not grant eternal death to those who die not reconciled to Him. It is what it is. Heaven is the is the only place a reconciled soul can go upon departing his flesh.

The soul of man is a completely independent entity apart from the body, desired by God to be in complete union with Him.

Why are you posting that here when you lead with a denial of the scriptural message of "The soul that sinneth it shall die" and instead champion the serpent's lie of "Ye shall not surely die?"