Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Timotheos

Let's make this simple.

SHOW me, right now, where John ever wrote that God tortures people alive in hell forever when they die.

lifeisgood

He provided a way for Adam and the rest of us to have our sins forgiven so that we can receive eternal life. Read John 3:16.

I guess Adam and Eve didn't take God at His word for there is no mention of them in the 'faith hall of fame' list of Hebrews 11:4-38 or anywhere else in the Bible, that I can find. Had Adam repented, the Bible would not speak of him negatively every single time it mentions him.

Timotheos

I guess you're not taking the time to really read answers are you.

You never showed me any verse, written by John or anyone else, that says that God tortures people alive in hell forever when they die.

Do you want me to show you a verse that says that the wages of sin is death? I would be happy to!

Timotheos

I guess Adam and Eve didn't take God at His word for there is no mention of them in the 'faith hall of fame' list of Hebrews 11:4-38 or anywhere else in the Bible, that I can find. Had Adam repented, the Bible would not speak of him negatively every single time it mentions him.

So you don't believe John 3:16.

Timotheos

No. It shows that you disagree with the Bible and you want others to disagree with Jesus, John, and Paul all inspired by the Holy Spirit and agree with you.

You are a liar.
I agree with the Bible, and I agree with Jesus, John, Paul and the Holy Spirit.

I disagree with you because you are a liar, and you do not know what you are talking about.

lifeisgood

You never showed me any verse, written by John or anyone else, that says that God tortures people alive in hell forever when they die.

I have told you repeatedly that God is NOT a torturer.

Do you want me to show you a verse that says that the wages of sin is death? I would be happy to!

Sure the wages of sin is death, but you are thinking of physical death.

“This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24). Was the son dead? Absolutely, yes!

Timotheos

That is your opinion and you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree with you though.

Well, you said that I don't believe the Bible and I would know that I believe the Bible from cover to cover.

Since your opinion is that I don't believe the Bible, why don't you give me one example of a verse from the Bible that you think I don't agree with and we can discuss that?

In the meantime, I will give you one verse that you don't agree with and I will tell you WHY I think you don't agree with it. The verse you don't agree with is John 3:16, since apparently you believe that nobody will perish and everybody will have eternal life, either in heavenly bliss or hellish torture.

Timotheos

I agree. God does not send anyone to hell be tortured alive forever, since the wages of sin is death.

When you say "Yes...But", you are really saying "No, I do not agree with that."
Sure, the wages of sin is death. And that means that the wages of sin is NOT eternal torture in hell.

“This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24). Was the son dead? Absolutely, yes!
Actually, if you read the parable of the prodigal son you will learn that the son was never dead.

Timotheos

Are you saying that the verse presented is for everybody?

Yes.
Whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but will have eternal life. Those who reject Him will perish. Those who accept Him will inherit eternal life.

Are you saying that there are some who can accept Jesus Christ and NOT inherit eternal life?
Are you saying that there are some who can reject Jesus Christ and STILL inherit eternal life?

Rosenritter

In the parable the son was dead figuratively. He would have starved, so the figure points to the soon to be reality, literal physical death.

Rosenritter

Second Thessalonians 1:8–9 says, “He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might.”

To be separated from God is to be forever shut off from light (1 John 1:5), separated from love (1 John 4:8), separated from joy (Matthew 25:23), and separated from peace (Ephesians 2:14) because only God is the source of all good things.

I take issue with your translation though:

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 KJV
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

If the difference is in translation then maybe we should pull out the Greek and see, But even as yours is written, everlasting destruction doesn't leave room for life.