Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
There's that sulfur smelling hot air again.

That appears to be an obsession of some, going on about how 'God' is going to torment poor souls forever in hell-fire (add your own imaginative description therein or 'translation'), which is the grossest atrocity unbefitting a 'God', much less a loving one.

way 2 go

That appears to be an obsession of some, going on about how 'God' is going to torment poor souls forever in hell-fire (add your own imaginative description therein or 'translation'), which is the grossest atrocity unbefitting a 'God', much less a loving one.

you are your own god

Heb 3:18**And to whom did He swear that they should not enter into His rest, but to those who did not believe?
Heb 3:19**So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Cross Reference

You mean ECT stinks, yes....and it appears to be a foul obsession with eternal tormentists who thrive on the aroma like glue-sniffers.

Why blame others for what you bring on yourself? God has made a way of escape for anyone, including you, from what can only be for those who willfully seperate themselves from Him by their 'esoteric stupidity'; who have said in their heart: 'I will have no God rule over me'? Sound like anyone you know?

For the Christian:"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences." 2 Corinthians 5:8-11 (KJV)

Think about it.

Cross Reference

As if you care. . . :loser:

lifeisgood

Apparently Jesus disagreed with you also, because he described the son as alive, feeding pigs, fain to starve, and deciding to return home. It's Christ's parable, let him describe it as he will. I can scarcely believe the idiocy of your accusation.

It may be that "My son was dead, and now he is alive" might hint at another meaning as well, but the story character of the prodigal son never died throughout the story.

But “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Exposing a bi-polar mindset.......

Exposing a bi-polar mindset.......

The book that we are talking about doesn't say "God is not love" - that would be Way 2 Go whose twisted theology demands that interpretation. The "god of evil and cruelty" is the one that he has imagined that grants eternal life to the wicked so that he can torment them without end. The actual "god of evil and cruelty" is known as Satan, the devil, which would like you to believe that God in heaven is as he is, so that he might blacken his name and turn mortal man against their maker.

Yes, my point was they are holding a God-image with 2 faces, a contradicted personality-complex. They mis-take divine love as also being a force of cruelty, which makes for con-fusion, whose author is the devil, who delights in cruelty.

My former commentary on ECT here (blog portal) still holds as it can be rejected outright on moral-principle alone, besides the original language translation issues regarding the word 'aion' and other words, issues of the soul's immortality, and eschatology in general. The views of 'conditional immortality' & 'universalism' are more tenable to reason and true to universal law which recognizes 'life' and 'death' in their ultimate sense and conditions, while Universalism upholds some innate and omnipotent power of Love's Will ultimately triumphing in all souls.

Outside a 'biblical' context....more can be gleaned from other schools of religious thought, science and metaphysics.

ECT is deplorable to most intelligent and enlightened people, no matter how religious texts are interpreted, since the conscience will not accept anything as heinous as ECT unless it has been seared already with false doctrine suiting an already distorted mentality.

Ignorance in this case is not bliss, but detrimental to souls.

Arthur Brain

Why blame others for what you bring on yourself? God has made a way of escape for anyone, including you, from what can only be for those who willfully seperate themselves from Him by their 'esoteric stupidity'; who have said in their heart: 'I will have no God rule over me'? Sound like anyone you know?

For the Christian:"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences." 2 Corinthians 5:8-11 (KJV)

Think about it.

Okay, thought about it. You sound like a pompous windbag, bereft of anything resembling compassion who seems to think that anyone who doesn't believe is 'esoterically stupid'.

How clever of you to escape the place you so dismissively ascribe for others. Seriously, take credit for it dude. You're far too bright to end up in interminable suffering so well done you.

:thumb:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Caring about false beliefs and value systems......

Caring about false beliefs and value systems......

I've already given ample commentary and research-information exposing the fallacy of ECT, as well as others in these 2 threads on the subject. If I didn't 'care' I would not be posting on the subject. All are free to consider and research what is shared, and to keep researching, unless has all knowledge.

The video below is a good basic overview of the 'conditional immortality' perspective on 'hell', - it is offered for its clarity and information purposes only (it is not promoting the organization sponsoring the video, as I may not necessarily agree with other aspects of their theology).

Enjoy :surf:

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Well you certainly don't. You reduce people to just being stupid and willing suffering on themselves if they don't happen to believe as you. You're a loveless piece of pond covering frankly. Maybe if you got over your own pomp you'd learn something akin to empathy. Here's hoping...

Arthur Brain

Why am I not surprised that AB doesn't hold to the dogma of Hell :rolleyes:

Gee, I dunno Cruc, maybe because I have an issue with other people's interminable suffering that you couldn't give a fig about? That I'm not a brain dead dupe that buys into any given man made tripe that purports the very same?

So many options...

Rosenritter

But “This son of mine was dead and is alive again” (Luke 15:24).

Just to see if you are consistent, at least, please answer from this text:

Jonah 4:11 KJV
(11) And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

God himself is speaking, and not even by parable. The population must be at least 120,000 people. Are they really unable to discern between their right hand and their left hand? Since you don't even allow a fictional character to use figures of speech, I ask it like this: do you believe God or disbelieve him?

Rosenritter

Why do you disagree with everyone :chuckle: - just kiddin'

Ah, but Patrick, it actually is spam in this case. Search on that phrase in his quote in the thread and I am sure it will appear eight times as a one-liner. He seems to think that it will somehow prove that the "prodigal son" literally died.

... we will ignore the fact that the "prodigal son" isn't even a literal person for now.
... we are not ignoring that the story has him alive and working as a pig-keeper during this time, not as a zombie.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Ah, but Patrick, it actually is spam in this case. Search on that phrase in his quote in the thread and I am sure it will appear eight times as a one-liner. He seems to think that it will somehow prove that the "prodigal son" literally died.

... we will ignore the fact that the "prodigal son" isn't even a literal person for now.
... we are not ignoring that the story has him alive and working as a pig-keeper during this time, not as a zombie.
True -