Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

lifeisgood

But I am also thinking of the body in a physical way. Upon the second resurrection and after the judgment seat of God that will reveal the hearts of the many who stand before the Lord and have the names checked out, all souls and bodies will forever be united and proceed to their respective destinations. I believe that for this to be so God will return to the damned their originsl 'loaned out human spirits' [breath of life] that I also believe will be needed to reunite body and soul, the born again already possessing their NEW SPIRIT.

Please ask me to clarify if you don't understand, I am not etching this in stone.

Yes, upon the second resurrection, still it will not be a 'physical' body, at least the way I understand it.

The Judgment seat of Christ is only for believers, at least the way I understand.
The Great White Throne judgment, for unbelievers, at least the way I understand.

Believers will receive a ‘glorified body’ just as Christ’s for we are being conformed to be as He is.
Unbelievers will receive a ‘body’; however, it will not be as Christ’s.

Believers when accepted by God having already received the new creation of God.

lifeisgood

Wasn't it you that made the brass claim that I do not believe Matthew 25:41?
Do you wish to retract that bold statement? Matthew 25:41 does NOT say that the fire is somehow an ineffectual fire that can't even manage to burn up what is put into it. So, EXACTLY in WHAT WAY do I NOT believe Matthew 25:41? It seems to me that I believe what it says MORE than YOU do, since you do not believe that the fire is really fire at all!

No, I do not wish to retract that bold statement.

Again, you are thinking of 'fire' as in the 'physical' sense as we think of fire.
I am thinking of 'fire' in the way God thinks about it.

And what's that?
A person in total and complete separation from God knowing and understanding that NOW (in hell) knowing and understanding that he/she rejected what he/she was presented with and NOW (in hell) cannot have what they rejected and wanting it desperately.

And what is it that they want?
To be with God.

Talk about 'destruction' in the 'fire' of understanding eternally.

Cross Reference

Every "body" will come out of the grave by being reunited with its soul to either Life everlasting in Heaven or eternal damnation, without end, in Hell, "eternal damnation" called by Jesus, the "second death": "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:14-15 (KJV)

Question: How can the already "everlasting" dead be judged, per Rev 20:12,13 KJV? Are they not already, "everlastingly" annihilated?

lifeisgood

Pitiful answer.
"Destroy" means "Destroy" and it does not mean "to never ever destroy, but instead to preserve someone alive forever so that God can torture them forever in hell."

Again, God does NOT torture anybody.

God created Hell for Satan and all his minions and that include all those who reject Jesus Christ and His finished legal work on the Cross of Calvary.

lifeisgood

Who, you ask? There's an interesting collection of examples here from which I will borrow a couple:

Bishop Newcomb

“The door of mercy will be shut and all bowels of compassion denied, by God, who will laugh at their destruction; by angels and saints, who will rejoice when they see the vengeance' by their fellow-suffer the devil and the damned rejoicing over their misery.” Catechetical Sermons

Tertullian

“At that greatest of all spectacles, that last and eternal judgment how shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness; so many magistrates liquefying in fiercer flames than they ever kindled against the Christians; so many sages philosophers blushing in red-hot fires with their deluded pupils; so many tragedians more tuneful in the expression of their own sufferings; so many dancers tripping more nimbly from anguish then ever before from applause."

“What a spectacle. . .when the world. . .and its many products, shall be consumed in one great flame! How vast a spectacle then bursts upon the eye! What there excites my admiration? What my derision? Which sight gives me joy? As I see. . .illustrious monarchs. . . groaning in the lowest darkness, Philosophers. . .as fire consumes them! Poets trembling before the judgment-seat of. . .Christ! I shall hear the tragedians, louder-voiced in their own calamity; view play-actors. . .in the dissolving flame; behold wrestlers, not in their gymnasia, but tossing in the fiery billows. . .What inquisitor or priest in his munificence will bestow on you the favor of seeing and exulting in such things as these? Yet even now we in a measure have them by faith in the picturings of imagination.” [De Spectaculis, Chapter XXX]

Augustine

They who shall enter into [the] joy [of the Lord] shall know what is going on outside in the outer darkness. . .The saints'. . . knowledge, which shall be great, shall keep them acquainted. . .with the eternal sufferings of the lost.” [The City of God, Book 20, Chapter 22, "What is Meant by the Good Going Out to See the Punishment of the Wicked" & Book 22, Chapter 30, "Of the Eternal Felicity of the City of God, and of the Perpetual Sabbath"]

Thomas Aquinas

In order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned. . .So that they may be urged the more to praise God. . .The saints in heaven know distinctly all that happens. . .to the damned. [Summa Theologica, Third Part, Supplement, Question XCIV, "Of the Relations of the Saints Towards the Damned," First Article, "Whether the Blessed in Heaven Will See the Sufferings of the Damned. . ."]

“The same fire” (which he decides to be material) “ torments the damned in hell and the just in purgatory…The least pain in purgatory exceeds the greatest in this life.” Summa Theo. Suppl. Qu. 100, acts. 2, n. 3.

Jonathan Edwards

The view of the misery of the damned will double the ardour of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven.

The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. . .Can the believing father in Heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in Hell. . . I tell you, yea! Such will be his sense of justice that it will increase rather than diminish his bliss.

["The Eternity of Hell Torments" (Sermon), April 1739 & Discourses on Various Important Subjects, 1738]

Tell me, does it seem like these men hear the voice of the Lamb, or have they hardened their hearts?

Why are you asking me? Am I God?

lifeisgood

If you allow for "enjoy" to mean nothing, that's actually not a bad statement. I have a question for you, not necessarily confrontational even. You said "I do not believe that hell fire is fire the way we know fire in this physical world." Why do you believe that? What reasoning and/or what scripture?

Because as I understand the Bible 'hell fire' is total and complete separation from God without the possibility of ever changing that.

Talk about being 'tortured' in the 'fire' of understanding eternally remembering that one day you heard the Gospel and rejected it and desperately wanting to change your mind and knowing and understanding that that is impossible.

lifeisgood

I have no idea why this moronic argument is recycled over and over. Life is Good, question time please.

If someone has life that is not everlasting, how long do they live before they die for good?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years
d) Any of the above
e) they never die

If someone has life that is everlasting, how long do they live before they die for good?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years
d) Any of the above
e) they never die

If someone dies a death that is not everlasting, how long do they remain dead before they come back to life?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years
d) They don't know but at some future point they will no longer be dead
e) They never come back to life

If someone dies a death that is everlasting, how long do they remain dead before they come back to life?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years

Eternal Conscious Tormentors will seldom answer straight questions when asked. This is a straight question. It's multiple choice, it can be answered with four keystrokes, plus a mouse click on "Post quick reply."

You do not want the definition of 'eternal' to be 'eternal' take it up with God for He is the one who created language.

"...let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged" (Romans 3:4).

Timotheos

No, I do not wish to retract that bold statement.

Again, you are thinking of 'fire' as in the 'physical' sense as we think of fire.
I am thinking of 'fire' in the way God thinks about it.

And what's that?
A person in total and complete separation from God knowing and understanding that NOW (in hell) knowing and understanding that he/she rejected what he/she was presented with and NOW (in hell) cannot have what they rejected and wanting it desperately.

And what is it that they want?
To be with God.

Talk about 'destruction' in the 'fire' of understanding eternally.
Matthew 10:28
"rather fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in gehenna".

2 Thessalonians 1:9
They pay the penalty of eternal destruction, not eternal preservation so that God can torture them alive.

You do not believe Matthew 25:41, since you do not believe that the wicked will really be burnt up in the eternal fire.

Timotheos

Every "body" will come out of the grave by being reunited with its soul to either Life everlasting in Heaven or eternal damnation, without end, in Hell, "eternal damnation" called by Jesus, the "second death": "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:14-15 (KJV)

Question: How can the already "everlasting" dead be judged, per Rev 20:12,13 KJV? Are they not already, "everlastingly" annihilated?

I guess you forgot that the dead will be resurrected at the final judgment. They will not be everlastingly destroyed until AFTER they are judged.

lifeisgood

Matthew 10:28
"rather fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in gehenna".

2 Thessalonians 1:9
They pay the penalty of eternal destruction, not eternal preservation so that God can torture them alive.

You do not believe Matthew 25:41, since you do not believe that the wicked will really be burnt up in the eternal fire.

Once again, 'hell fire' means total and complete separation from God without the possibility of ever changing that.

Talk about being 'tortured' in the 'fire' of understanding eternally remembering that one day you heard the Gospel and rejected it and desperately wanting to change your mind and knowing and understanding that that is impossible.

lifeisgood

I know! That is why the doctrine of eternal conscious torture in hell is so bad. It paints God as a sadistic torturer.

Jesus, Paul, and John teach that the suffering of the lost in hell will know no end.

Sinclair Ferguson is right: it is our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who spoke most clearly of the dark side of eternity. To be faithful to Him, we must do the same.

Timotheos

Jesus, Paul, and John teach that the suffering of the lost in hell will know no end.

Actually, they do not.
Jesus said that those in gehenna will be destroyed, both body and soul. That's the opposite of not being destroyed and merely suffering.

Paul wrote that the wages of sin is death, that's the opposite of living in constant suffering in hell.

John wrote that whosover believes in him shall not PERISH but will have eternal life. That is plainly stating that those who reject Christ will perish and will not have eternal life.

In fact, there is no place in the entire Bible where it says that the wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever. But consistently the Bible teaches that the wicked will be destroyed on the day of Judgment.

Timotheos

You do not want the definition of 'eternal' to be 'eternal' take it up with God for He is the one who created language.

"...let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged" (Romans 3:4).

Why don't you try to answer the questions?
They seem very straightforward. I would say
1D.
2E.
3D.
4E.
How would you answer?

Timotheos

I have no idea why this moronic argument is recycled over and over. Life is Good, question time please.

If someone has life that is not everlasting, how long do they live before they die for good?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years
d) Any of the above
e) they never die

If someone has life that is everlasting, how long do they live before they die for good?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years
d) Any of the above
e) they never die

If someone dies a death that is not everlasting, how long do they remain dead before they come back to life?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years

If someone dies a death that is everlasting, how long do they remain dead before they come back to life?
a) Ten years
b) One hundred years
c) One thousand years

Eternal Conscious Tormentors will seldom answer straight questions when asked. This is a straight question. It's multiple choice, it can be answered with four keystrokes, plus a mouse click on "Post quick reply."

It is nearly impossible to get someone who believes in eternal torture to answer a simple question.

Here are my answers:
DEDE

I predict that the tormentists will refuse to answer at all.