Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Timotheos

what this all comes down to is the fact that you (and timmy) are struggling to force your concept of goodness onto God

i look forward to mocking you when you attempt to explain yourselves when you stand before the Judgment throne and tell God He's wrong :darwinsm:
Yes, that should be pretty funny. I can't wait to see what happens when you tell God that He has to torture someone forever.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't. I agree with what is biblical. As for the lake of fire, the passage you posted specifically states that the lake of fire is the second death. This agrees with the rest of the Bible which you have been arguing against, that the wages of sin is death and the wicked will be completely destroyed.

Why do you continue to argue against what is biblical. Read John 3:16 and tell me exactly what it says in your Bible, and then tell me why you don't believe what it says.

I want you to tell me if you AGREE or DISAGREE with this statement. Don't play games, just tell me plainly if you agree or disagree:
The wicked shall be destroyed for ever.

I believe what the scripture says;

Revelation 20:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Do you believe it?

Rosenritter

I believe what the scripture says;

Revelation 20:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Do you believe it?
Raven, are you assuming the devil is immortal when you read that passage? Yes or no. If yes, why?

Timmy, note that both my KJV and his NIV do not say that the beast and false prophet are being tormented or still existing in that fire. Wanted to point that out earlier but missed the chance.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Raven, are you assuming the devil is immortal when you read that passage? Yes or no. If yes, why?

Do you have eternal life? Yes or no. I have eternal life. The scripture is clear. If it says the devil will be tormented day and night forever and ever and that is what it means. Why would you question it? Are you saying that the scriptures are in error?

Rosenritter

Yes, that should be pretty funny. I can't wait to see what happens when you tell God that He has to torture someone forever.

I can think of examples where men attempted to intervene and ask for mercy on behalf of others. Abraham and Moses come to mind. God listened to Abraham at least and agreed with Moses. He did not punish them for challenging him in this way.

I can also think of examples when men called for death and burning up others and God rebuked the requesters instead. I am thinking of Jonah and Christ's apostles. He took away Jonah's shade to teach him a lesson and told his disciples that their spirit was not from God but from somewhere else.

The only judgment parable that I can think of that has torment is when one who had been forgiven much would not forgive something little to someone else. In that parable the master revoked the forgiveness and delivered that man to the tormentors instead, until he paid his debt himself.

Matthew 18:32-34 KJV
Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: [33] Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? [34] And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

Outside of the parable, how does one pay the debt of sin if Christ's grace is revoked because of a bloodthirsty heart? The wages of sin is death.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Do you have eternal life? Yes or no. I have eternal life. The scripture is clear. If it says the devil will be tormented day and night forever and ever and that is what it means. Why would you question it? Are you saying that the scriptures are in error?

they want to be nicer than God :idunno:

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

Raven,

Is Revelation a book of literalism or symbology?

Rosenritter

what this all comes down to is the fact that you (and timmy) are struggling to force your concept of goodness onto God

i look forward to mocking you when you attempt to explain yourselves when you stand before the Judgment throne and tell God He's wrong :darwinsm:
I think I will take my chances having faith in the Goodness of God along with Abraham and Moses rather than joining Tertullian and yourself hoping for Sadistic Pleasure of watching Someone Else in Torment.

Rosenritter

the discussion here is can you come to
a correct conclusion even tho it is not said.

Jesus never said the word "grace" unless in greeting
yet we are saved by grace.

Mr. Go, I have a question for you. You say that Jesus didn't use the word "grace" yet you know we are saved by grace. How do you know this? Isn't it because it is specifically and clearly written in the Bible?

Ephesians 2:5 KJV
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Seems to me that it is said. Sort of works against the point you were trying to make I think?

Ben Masada

Regarding Matthew 25:46,

For the thousandth time, "Eternal Punishment" does not prove "Eternal Torment".
Eternal Death is also an eternal punishment.

How would you infernalists feel if I said "The punishment for sin is Eternal Death because Matthew 25:46 says "eternal punishment"? Wouldn't you call me out? Wouldn't you be correct to do so? So why can't you see that Matthew 25:46 is NO proof that the eternal punishment is eternal conscious torment? Is it just a matter of your general lack of intelligence? Willful Blindness? Donkey Stubbornness? Self Righteous Arrogance? Spiritual Laziness? What IS it? Why does EVERY ECTist bring up Matthew 25:46 as if it said "The eternal punishment is eternal conscious torment"?

Eternal death could never be a punishment. Punishment cannot be applied on unconsciousness. To be punished,
one must be conscious and there is no consciousness in the grave.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Eternal death could never be a punishment. Punishment cannot be applied on unconsciousness. To be punished,

You have just disarmed one of the few eternal defense scriptures that are used to mar the nature of God, as if He is a torturer.

That people cling to few verses in place of the many that say otherwise blows my mind!

[emoji95]

Rosenritter

Ben, got to disagree here. Says here that death is a punishment:

1 Samuel 28:9-10 KJV
And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die? [10] And Saul sware to her by the Lord , saying, As the Lord liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

And here:

Hebrews 10:28-29 KJV
He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: [29] Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

It looks to me that whomever wrote that thought that death is a punishment. What do you think?

If one believes in a resurrection then that first death is not an eternal punishment.... Because it doesn't stick. They come back. When they die and there is NO coming back, then it's an eternal punishment.

Rosenritter

no entropy
1. You are not Raven.
2. Your answer makes no sense.

If you want to answer the question, it was "when you read Revelation 20 do you assume the devil is immortal? If yes, why."

If you meant that you do not assume the devil is immortal than what did you mean by "entropy?" Regardless I still want Raven's answer.