Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
God is good, God is love and so much more. Hell and torment is a creation of those who don't know the goodness of God so they are left to teach primitive fear of God. True faith is the trust in the goodness of God.

are you a universalist?

re: "so how does that square with 'they have no rest, day or night'?"

It doesn't say how long that is to continue.

apparently until it ends

and then they can rest

Caino

BANNED
Banned
are you a universalist?

apparently until it ends

and then they can rest

No, those who reject eternal life do not awake from the sleep of death, they are deleted. But even the process of their condemnation is so fair as to win the approval of the condemned. Our God is not a childish, sadistic monster.

Jason0047

so how does that square with "they have no rest, day or night"?

In Revelation 14:11 KJV:
Should the English words "for ever" (or "forever") be read literally meaning an endless state?

A heard a pastor once say that the best way to interpret the Bible is to let the Bible do the interpreting for you. What I am I talking about? Well, the Bible tells us that the phrase "smoke of their torment ascendeth up forever" is a metaphorical phrase from Isaiah 34:10 KJV which says that the smoke of Edom went up forever and ever. Yet is the city of Edom burning today? No, of course not. So we then realize that this phrase is speaking metaphorically.

In other words, the word "forever" (and it's related words) does not always mean forever in the Bible. “Forever” can have a temporal sense. For what do you make of the following verses below that say that "forever" (or it's related words) is not forever?

• In Gen.13:15 the land of Canaan is given to Israel “forever”.

• The Law is to be a statute “forever” (Ex.12:24; 27:21; 28:43).

• Sodom's fiery judgment is "eternal" (Jude 7) until -- God "will restore the fortunes of Sodom" (Ezek.16:53-55).

• Israel's "affliction is incurable" (Jer.30:12) until -- the Lord "will restore health" and heal her wounds (Jer.30:17).

• The sin of Samaria "is incurable" (Mic.1:9) until -- Lord "will restore ... the fortunes of Samaria." (Ez.16:53).

• Ammon is to become a "wasteland forever" and "rise no more" (Zeph.2:9, Jer.25:27 until -- the Lord will "restore the fortunes of the Ammonites" (Jer.49:6).

• An Ammonite or Moabite is forbidden to enter the Lord's congregation "forever" until -- the tenth generation (Deut.23:3):

• Habakkuk tells us of mountains that were "everlasting" until -- they "were shattered" Hab.3 3:6).

• The Aaronic Priesthood was to be an "everlasting" priesthood (Ex.40:15), that is-until-it was superceded by the Melchizedek Priesthood (Heb.7:14-18).

• Many translations of the Bible inform us that God would dwell in Solomon's Temple "forever" (1 Kings 8:13), until -- the Temple was destroyed.

• The children of Israel were to "observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant" (Exodus 31:16)-until -- Paul states there remains "another day" of Sabbath rest for the people of God (Heb. 4:8,9).

• The Law of Moses was to be an "everlasting covenant" (Lev.24:8) yet we read in the New Covenant the first was "done away" and "abolished" (2 Cor. 3:11,13), and God "made the first old" (Hebrews 8:13).

• The fire for Israel's sin offering (of a ram without blemish) is never to be put out. It shall be a "perpetual" until -- Christ, the Lamb of God, dies for our sins.
Hell. We now have a better covenant established on better promises (Lev. 6:12-13, Heb. 8:6-13).

• God's waves of wrath roll over Jonah "forever" until--the Lord delivers him from the large fish's belly on the third day (Jonah 2:6,10; 1: 17); Egypt and Elam will "rise no more" (Jer.25:27) until -- the Lord will "restore the fortunes of Egypt" (Ez.29:14) and "restore the fortunes of Elam" (Jer.49:39).

• "Moab is destroyed" (Jer.48:4, 42) until--the Lord "will restore the fortunes of Moab" (Jer.48:47).

• Israel's judgment lasts "forever" until -- the Spirit is poured out and God restores it (Isa.32:13-15).

• The King James Bible, as well as many others, tells us that a bond slave was to serve his master "forever" (Exodus 21:6), until -- his death.

• “Eternal” (Greek aionia, αιονια) is sometimes used of a limited (not endless) period of time. But the most common use is illustrated in II Cor.4:18 where it is contrasted with “temporal” and in Philemon 15 where it is contrasted with “for a while.”

Source Used:
http://www.apttoteach.org/Theology/End times/pdf/911_Hell.pdf

Jason0047

Look up the passages above and do your own homework (To see for yourself). In other words, the Bible does not always use the words that describe a forever or everlasting state as always in being forever. Revelation 14:11 and Revelation 20:11 are the only two verses that suggest an unending torment with the words "for ever and ever." (or forever) But as we see in the example of Isaiah 34:10 with the city of Edom and it's smoke ascending up forever, we learn that the word "forever" and it's related words can be used in a temporal sense. If the Bible didn't use "forever" and it's other related words in a temporal sense, then I wouldn't be arguing otherwise. Be honest with yourself, and check it out in prayer, and you will see that it is true.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Ever since the Book of Revelations was added to the end of the New Testament, eternal Sharia Law-type divine punishment was added to the theology.
Early Christians in Syria rejected the book because it was accepted and used by Montanists, who were seen as heretical by the mainstream church.

In the fourth century when the church and the empire became one, bishops argued against including Revelation because of the difficulties of interpretation and the risk of abuse.

Martin Luther did not believe Revelations should ever be included in the biblical canon. Luther considered it to be "neither apostolic nor prophetic" and stated that "Christ is neither taught nor known in it."

Calvin, on the other hand believed the book to be canonical,. But it was the only New Testament book on which he did not write a commentary. Revelations is never read within the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Orthodox Church, not so in Catholic and Protestant liturgies.

Even today Revelation's obscure and extravagant imagery has led to a wide variety of interpretations.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Hell is real, but it is not a torture chamber. It is a place of torment as the Bible says it is.

In Luke 16:19-31: What many fail to understand is that when the Rich-man went to Torments (Hell or Hades), he was not actually being burned by any flames. In Luke 16:24, the Rich-man was referring to the fact about how he was tormented in the flame that was in front of him that was in the gulf that was between him and Abraham (Sort of like if I said I am happy in this car --- yet the car is in front of me) (Similar language like this can be found with the words "in these" in Isaiah 57:6 KJV). So it was the heat of the flame that made him uncomfortable or tormented. For although I am open to understanding otherwise according to Scripture, I currently do not believe he was in extreme physical pain or torture. How so? Well, if the Rich-man was engulfed by entire flames --- he wouldn't be asking for a little water to cool his tongue, he would be asking for a giant barrel of water or lots of buckets of water to lower the flame or to put it out.

In fact, the key is to always look at cross references so as to best understand Scripture. The cross reference for Luke 16:19-31 is Genesis 18:22-33 and Genesis 19:27-28.

Anyways, if you were to read these chapters, you would discover in Genesis 19 that Abraham looked at the billowing smoke from Sodom. When looking at all of Scripture, one can easily conclude that Abraham simply wanted to know what happened to this city because he was worried that Lot might have perished there. For Abraham might have learned later about how Lot made it to safety, but we get no indication within the text that Abraham knew that Lot was okay or safe. So I imagine it tormented Abraham a little in seeing that smoke. For he pleaded with God to spare the city (no doubt for Lot's sake). In fact, I imagine Abraham pictured a fire in his mind where the smoke was coming from the city. But now in the New Testament, Abraham had knowledge as to why he and a righteous man named Lazarus was in Paradise (a Heaven like compartment in the realm of the dead) and he had knowledge as to why the Rich-man was in Hades or Torments. From Abraham's bosom: Agraham now looked at an actual real flame and had the understanding. Whereas the Rich-man looked at the flame on the other side and was tormented by it's heat and by the fact that it reminded him of the upcoming Lake of Fire. Both men (Abraham and the Rich-man were tormented by a fire) but each of them had two entirely different experiences concerning that fire which was in front of them.

In addition, another parallel I recently noticed between Lazarus and the Rich Man account (Luke 16:19-31) and Genesis 18 is that both Abraham's story in Genesis 18-19 and the Rich Man's story begin with their eyes being lifted up.

Abraham:

"And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; And he lift up his eyes and looked, ..." (Genesis 18:1-2)​

Rich Man:

"...the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, ..." (Luke 16:22-23)​
In other words, this above example is trying to tell us that the two stories are tied together in order to give us an important message. What is that message? Well, I believe both stories are trying to tell us that God is fair and just in His Judgments. For "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25) (cf. Luke 16:25).
Wow, what can I say. YOUR EXPLANATION WAS IMPLAUSIBLY STUPID. The rich is awakened form the dead; and you have no proof of God being the eternal tormentor. You have this stupid metaphor of a flame. Maybe you just stupid or something? Maybe you are a bot program.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Look up the passages above and do your own homework (To see for yourself). In other words, the Bible does not always use the words that describe a forever or everlasting state as always in being forever. Revelation 14:11 and Revelation 20:11 are the only two verses that suggest an unending torment with the words "for ever and ever." (or forever) But as we see in the example of Isaiah 34:10 with the city of Edom and it's smoke ascending up forever, we learn that the word "forever" and it's related words can be used in a temporal sense. If the Bible didn't use "forever" and it's other related words in a temporal sense, then I wouldn't be arguing otherwise. Be honest with yourself, and check it out in prayer, and you will see that it is true.
Actually, εἰς αἰῶνας αἰώνων, which means into the age of the ages. This is a far cry from for evuh and evuh.

Last edited:

Jason0047

what makes you think the city of edom isn't burning today?

Because we have satellite imagery and nobody has ever reported a city as being forever on fire (whereby they cannot put the flame out). If you believe this is speaking about the city burring in the spirit world, then you need to show a cross reference to establish this truth. You need to show us other verses that point to other cities as burning in the spirit world. For the Scriptures confirm every truth it teaches with other related verses (or Scripture).

Jason0047

Actually, εἰς αἰῶνας αἰώνων, which means int the age of the ages. This is a far cry from for evuh and evuh.

I don't support ECT (Eternal Conscious Torment). I think such a concept is highly un-Biblical. I believe that Hell (Hades) is an intermediate state before the Judgment that is not a place of torture (but a place of torment), and that after the Judgment, all the wicked will eventually be destroyed both body and soul in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire) (See Matthew 10:28).

God's Truth

God is good, God is love and so much more. Hell and torment is a creation of those who don't know the goodness of God so they are left to teach primitive fear of God. True faith is the trust in the goodness of God.

Are we supposed to spend eternity with evil people?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) biblical or not?

Which verses in the Bible support ECT and which verses in the bible support the doctrine that the wicked perish instead?

Haven't you answered your own question in calling it a doctrine?

God's Truth

No, those who reject eternal life do not awake from the sleep of death, they are deleted. But even the process of their condemnation is so fair as to win the approval of the condemned. Our God is not a childish, sadistic monster.
The Word of God says the wicked will rise.

Acts 24:15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.