Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

God's Truth

I suppose I should tell you that I am not blind. I have 20/20 vision. Since I turned 45, I need reading glasses. If you wish, I can send you the results of my next vision checkup.

I think this "blind" business is simply name calling. If you want to engage in such business, why don't you comment on my male pattern baldness? At least then you would be accurate in your put-downs.

You prove that you have no understanding of what is spiritual.

God's Truth

Obviously everyone here posting is sighted. I realize that you are speaking about spiritual blindness, however, the request was just for the book, chapter and verse that says what you assert, specifically that: "There is scripture that says that."

Can you prove yourself?

I am speaking about spiritual blindness.

Did you not read what I said?

I have already given the scriptures more than once.

However, Timotheos just keeps repeating the same thing; he keeps saying he did not see it.

Levolor

I am speaking about spiritual blindness.

Did you not read what I said?

Did you not read that I mentioned exactly that?

I have already given the scriptures more than once.

It would help your non-existing credibility if you were to do so again.

However, Timotheos just keeps repeating the same thing; he keeps saying he did not see it.

Maybe they didn't and to insist that they did is saying Timotheos is a liar. Be generous and gracious in spirit by being accommodating and provide the scripture again for them. How difficult can it be?

God's Truth

Did you not read that I mentioned exactly that?
You are confused.
It would help your non-existing credibility if you were to do so again.
You still would not see it.
Maybe they didn't and to insist that they did is saying Timotheos is a liar. Be generous and gracious in spirit by being accommodating and provide the scripture again for them. How difficult can it be?
You are not busy; you are a busybody.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I wouldn't be "doubly-dead". Just merely dead, which is the wages of sin.

I didn't say anything about being doubly-dead. I don't even know what that means. However, if I understand correctly you are saying God is going to resurrect dead people so he can kill them.

Well, I guess that will show them.

:sigh:

Timotheos

I didn't say anything about being doubly-dead. I don't even know what that means. However, if I understand correctly you are saying God is going to resurrect dead people so he can kill them.

Well, I guess that will show them.

:sigh:
Sin kills them. Did you forget that the Bible says "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord". How can those OUTSIDE of Christ receive eternal life IN Christ Jesus?

Timotheos

My guess would be through repentance.

Okay, then they would be IN Christ. Those who refuse to repent remain OUTSIDE Christ, so they don't receive eternal life IN Christ.

Are you Christian Universalist? (I don't know the proper term)
I don't want to debate a Universalist. I don't have a beef with you guys. At least God didn't design a torture pit in your doctrine.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Not really. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm not offended, but I'll ask you this, what is the penalty for sin? Is it death? Yes, Paul said so. Is it the second death? No, that's not scriptural.

What scripture are you referencing that says the wages of sin is the second death? It's not there. You are reading that into what Paul said.

The purpose of the second resurrection is not to kill people, it is to offer them life. Will everyone accept life? We don't know.

Timotheos

The second death is death just as the first death is death. The wages of sin is death. The wicked will perish and will be no more just as the bible says. This will happen when the Lord returns.

God's Truth

The second death is death just as the first death is death. The wages of sin is death. The wicked will perish and will be no more just as the bible says. This will happen when the Lord returns.

You have a doctrine of death.

You do not have understanding of what is spiritual.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Love is Universal..............

Love is Universal..............

Are you Christian Universalist? (I don't know the proper term)

I'm more of an 'essential' Universalist (theosophist/spiritualist) in the philosophical sense, and while respecting the Lord Christ and his role in man's enlightenment and salvation, am not limited to being only a 'Christian' Universalist', - however there is much support for the Christian Universalist perspective which rejects the concept of ECT.

What exists for all reading these words now is Life,...we are all alive and conscious, engaging...inter-acting. Whatever gradations or qualities of life or death, light or darkness we experience are but conditional modes of consciousness (we can only speculate about a condition that is wholly 'unconscious' (non-existent)).

The proposition that some souls may actually disintegrate and no longer be 'conscious functioning entities' (being wholly snuffed out of existence; expunged) is a more metaphysically complex issue, that includes considering both 'temporal' and 'eternal' aspects of the soul (and spirit), and its procession in the afterlife.

As shared before, its more than just a 'black n white' conclusion of literal interpretations of a text or just a face-value acceptance of our own definition of 'death', since the terms are relative and differ within various schools.

pj

God's Truth

I'm not offended, but I'll ask you this, what is the penalty for sin? Is it death? Yes, Paul said so. Is it the second death? No, that's not scriptural.

What scripture are you referencing that says the wages of sin is the second death? It's not there. You are reading that into what Paul said.

The purpose of the second resurrection is not to kill people, it is to offer them life. Will everyone accept life? We don't know.

You do not speak according to scripture either, just as you claim Timotheos does not.

Where do the scriptures say the dead will be raised to offer everyone life?

The righteous will be raised to eternal life with Jesus, and the wicked to eternal punishment.

That is what the scriptures say.