Is Russia Our Enemy?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Wasn't so long ago conservatives were saying that Russia was the greatest threat to the US.

which conservatives?

and when?

you sure you're not thinking of the USSR (which is different from russia and no longer exists)?

rex said:
Hard to see winning this war when your own countrymen betray you.

what war? :freak:

rexlunae

I definitely agree with the Garland situation being a disgrace but I struggle with the Dems not putting Gorsuch through.

It comes down to a question of legitimacy. The court isn't supposed to be partisan, which is why the lifetime appointments are a big deal. If the nomination is politicized, the legitimacy of the court is undermined. The argument that the Republicans used against Merrick Garland was that the people needed to have their say in an election, despite the fact that there was a President with real legitimacy who appointed a qualified, and well-respected candidate. How is is supposedly illegitimate to allow a popular President with a year left in office to appoint someone, but not illegitimate to allow a President who lost the popular vote, and over whom hangs a cloud of treason and distrust to do the same. It would permanently damage the court's credibility and legitimacy.

Not because I think the Dems should ideologically agree with Gorsuch but because of the practical effects. What will they actually accomplish? Nothing. The options seem to be either the Republicans change the rules and force him through anyway or maybe even end up nominating someone even worse from the liberal perspective and shove them through.

What the Republicans did is unprecedented and wrong, and I think they're right to resist it. What I wish they'd done is have Obama use his recess appointment power to put someone in that seat. That would have lasted about a year, and would have prevented Trump from making an appointment right away. And it could have been anyone.

I also don't want the Republicans to do the nuclear option and think it would be very short-sighted to do so. But is there anyone that Trump could nominate that the Dems will like? Revenge over the Garland debacle won't do anyone good.

It's not revenge. It's a principle. It's a refusal to accept the Republicans trying to ensure that only one party gets their nominees through.

rexlunae

which conservatives?

and when?

Romney. 2012.

you sure you're not thinking of the USSR (which is different from russia and no longer exists)?

We're not talking about the Soviet Union here SOD. Russia. The Russian Federation. Get with the times.

what war? :freak:

The war where Russia tries to destroy liberal democracy and politicize the concept of truth, and replace it with a worldwide petro-industrial kleptocracy. Where they install puppet rulers to enable them to reclaim large swaths of what they see as their sphere of influence.

ok doser

Romney. 2012.

romney wasn't a conservative :chuckle:

We're not talking about the Soviet Union here SOD. Russia. The Russian Federation. Get with the times.

ok - the russian federation, which is now a young European democracy going through the same growing pains we did in the early 1800s

and our trading partner

The war where Russia tries to destroy liberal democracy

how is it trying to do that?

and politicize the concept of truth

what is truth?

, and replace it with a worldwide petro-industrial kleptocracy.

most of us have been aware of this since 1953 (i'll let you do the homework here)

eisenhower tried to warn you about it in '61

it took the clumsy russians to finally wake you libs up? :darwinsm:

Where they install puppet rulers to enable them to reclaim large swaths of what they see as their sphere of influence.

you think trump is a puppet of putin?

maybe he is

prove it

prove it, impeach him and let's get on with the Pence presidency :thumb:

rexlunae

romney wasn't a conservative :chuckle:

Right. No True Scotsman...Each conservative has a personal veto over every other conesrvative's claims to conservatism.

ok - the russian federation, which is now a young European democracy

Name any year when Russians changed their leadership against the preferences of the existing leadership.

going through the same growing pains we did in the early 1800s

Lets see. Our first President gave up power voluntarily after two terms, setting a precedent that has only been broken once. Our second president was probably the first President's choice, but he failed on his own terms and was voted out of office for the opposition party. And even within the opposition party, there was a credible democratic process.

It's not the same. Russia has a fake democracy that it uses to justify what it's doing, but it never gives their people real input into where the country is going. No young democracy works like Russia.

and our trading partner

That doesn't mean they aren't an enemy. There's an intersection of interests. It's that simple.

how is it trying to do that?

By funding extremist political parties and interests, and engaging in cyberwarfare and propaganda.

what is truth?

Not subjective.

most of us have been aware of this since 1953 (i'll let you do the homework here)

eisenhower tried to warn you about it in '61

That was before my time, but he was referring to a different industrial complex. Still, it's a fairly similar form.

it took the clumsy russians to finally wake you libs up? :darwinsm:

To what, exactly?

you think trump is a puppet of putin?

Maybe. Probably. Time will tell.

maybe he is

prove it

That's above my pay grade. But there are people working on it. Michael Flynn is, as I read it, dead to rights, begging for a deal. He wants immunity, I'm thinking he gets some sort of plea deal instead, because what's on the record looks terrible for him.

prove it, impeach him and let's get on with the Pence presidency :thumb:

That assumes Pence is clean. I'm not so sure of that.

I'm wondering if Paul Ryan has figured out that Trump, while praising him in public, is semi-secretly gunning for him.

ok doser

It's not the same.

why on earth would you expect it to be?

the industrial revolution had barely begun and the united states was a fraction of the size it is now:
United_States_1800-07-04-1800-07-10.png

contrast that to the state of russia's current economy and the fact that it is a federation spanning eleven time zones

US in 1800: 864,746 square miles
Russian Federation in 2017: 6,602,000 square miles

i'll come back to the rest later

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It comes down to a question of legitimacy. The court isn't supposed to be partisan, which is why the lifetime appointments are a big deal. If the nomination is politicized, the legitimacy of the court is undermined. The argument that the Republicans used against Merrick Garland was that the people needed to have their say in an election, despite the fact that there was a President with real legitimacy who appointed a qualified, and well-respected candidate. How is is supposedly illegitimate to allow a popular President with a year left in office to appoint someone, but not illegitimate to allow a President who lost the popular vote, and over whom hangs a cloud of treason and distrust to do the same. It would permanently damage the court's credibility and legitimacy.

What the Republicans did is unprecedented and wrong, and I think they're right to resist it. What I wish they'd done is have Obama use his recess appointment power to put someone in that seat. That would have lasted about a year, and would have prevented Trump from making an appointment right away. And it could have been anyone.

It's not revenge. It's a principle. It's a refusal to accept the Republicans trying to ensure that only one party gets their nominees through.

The Democrats can claim moral high ground and I'll agree with them and they should keep bringing it up but we're going to have to live with Trump's candidate no matter what and now we're probably going to have to live with the 'nuclear option' as well. In a couple years the principles of these arguments won't matter but what will matter is that Supreme Court candidates will be approved by 51 votes.

Are the Democrats even talking about Trump's legitimacy in nominating someone? I haven't heard it.

ClimateSanity

The war where Russia tries to destroy liberal democracy and politicize the concept of truth, and replace it with a worldwide petro-industrial kleptocracy. Where they install puppet rulers to enable them to reclaim large swaths of what they see as their sphere of influence.

We're not a liberal democracy to begin with. But you're saying they are trying to change our system of government. I don't believe there is a law against that. Conservatives have been trying to change or slow down the carnage the progressives have done to our society and laws and institutions for decades. We have not been successful. Democrats have been trying to stop us using bucket loads of foreign money. That money came with strings attached. And those donors have had their will done in our country as a result. I don't believe I ever heard your kind yell about some kind of war.

The biggest player in changing our society over the past few decades has been the media monopolies and new monopolies in the internet are being created now in attempts to snuff out opposition.

Now, that's what I call a war. Whoever allowed these media conglomerates to become as powerful as they are now are the real traitors to this countries.....in fact , I think I've stumbled upon the real source of the fake Russian controversy:

Someone other than the all powerful media conglomerates had a substantial influence on the electorate. By blaming Russia as the pupper master behind the new shaper of minds in competition to them, they are able to convince the gullible and the willing that there is a serious crime akin to war going on.

Russia is free to use political speech here as we do in their country.

We are not totalitarian, not yet that is. There is no restriction to speech regardless of source, especially political speech.

Don't like Russian political influence through speech? Create your own speech to defeat it, don't censor what you fear.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

rexlunae

We're not a liberal democracy to begin with.

Well, not if Orange Little Caesar has his way.

But you're saying they are trying to change our system of government.

When did I say that?

Steve Bannon is trying to change our form of government. But I don't really see any evidence that the Russians care one way or the other. Russian interests are in disrupting our ability to act on the international stage, to check their expansion into what they consider to be their sphere of influence. They aren't ideological about this. The disruption is the point, and they've been incredibly successful so far.

Did you notice, for instance, that the morning after Trump's first phone call with Putin after the inauguration, the pro-Russian rebels broke the ceasefire and began pushing against the Ukrainian government? What do you suppose Trump and Putin discussed?

I don't believe there is a law against that.

It depends entirely upon how they go about it. Certainly there are legitimate and illegitimate ways. But in any case, I think Americans deserve to have some knowledge of what forces are bearing on our government.

Conservatives have been trying to change or slow down the carnage the progressives have done to our society and laws and institutions for decades. We have not been successful.

Conservatives have a disproportionate say compared to their numbers in driving the ship of state in this country. In every organ of the federal government, they have an advantage, and yet they seem to feel that the fact that some progressive policies occasionally win is somehow illegitimate.

Democrats have been trying to stop us using bucket loads of foreign money.

Evidence? What foreign money, specifically? It's conservatives who sued to eliminate campaign finance laws and allow dark money into the political system in unlimited quantities.

That money came with strings attached. And those donors have had their will done in our country as a result. I don't believe I ever heard your kind yell about some kind of war.

Maybe because I have no idea what you're talking about.

The biggest player in changing our society over the past few decades has been the media monopolies and new monopolies in the internet are being created now in attempts to snuff out opposition.

Who is it who allow monopolies to form unchecked? It's not progressives. Historically, it's never been progressives. It was the Bush administration that allowed Sirius and XM to merge, after specifically prohibiting it in their licenses. It's the Obama administration that blocked several major media companies from merging in the last few years, including AT&T and T-Mobile, Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

On the contrary, when Republicans get into power, they don't enforce the rules. That's how we got SiriusXM, a single monopoly, despite their inability to merge being written into their charters. That's what stopped Microsoft from being broken up, or other more aggressive remedies. That's how we're probably going to get AT&T and Time Warner during the Trump administration (TBD). That's how we're likely to see Sprint + T-Mobile in the near future too (also TBD). We will see how and if Trump decides to enforce antitrust laws, but given his posture toward business and his apparent desire not to be pro-business.

And is the remedy to this really likely to be Russian state-owned propaganda mills?

Now, that's what I call a war. Whoever allowed these media conglomerates to become as powerful as they are now are the real traitors to this countries.....in fact , I think I've stumbled upon the real source of the fake Russian controversy:

Well, of course the most direct remedy to consolidation is something that's become a dirty word to Trump and to all Republicans: Regulation. We have laws on the books to prevent abusive monopolies, but Republicans don't like to enforce them. And they really only work when they're consistently enforced.

Someone other than the all powerful media conglomerates had a substantial influence on the electorate. By blaming Russia as the pupper master behind the new shaper of minds in competition to them, they are able to convince the gullible and the willing that there is a serious crime akin to war going on.

Russia is free to use political speech here as we do in their country.

If the only tactic Russia deployed had been spreading propaganda, the response would be to correct and fact-check. I don't especially like it when fake information is peddled, but no one claims that it's illegal. But when they break the law, for instance by accessing computers illegally and stealing information, for whatever reason, it deserves a robust response by our officials, and if our candidates participated in such shenanigans, they need to be punished. And in any case, the American people deserve a full and public accounting of their efforts as a foreign adversary.

We are not totalitarian, not yet that is. There is no restriction to speech regardless of source, especially political speech.

The only person who has disputed that in the recent past has been Donald Trump.

Don't like Russian political influence through speech? Create your own speech to defeat it, don't censor what you fear.

No one has suggested censoring anything.

ok doser

Russian interests are in disrupting our ability to act on the international stage, to check their expansion into what they consider to be their sphere of influence.

...Crimea...

Crimea :think:

28 years after the formation of the democratic Russian Federation :think:

america in 1817:

United_States_1817-03-1817-12.png

think of crimea as being kinda like florida

rexlunae

Crimea :think:

28 years after the formation of the democratic Russian Federation :think:

america in 1817:

United_States_1817-03-1817-12.png

think of crimea as being kinda like florida

Even if the situations are comparable, which I think could probably be argued, that doesn't support your false claim that Russia is a democracy.

rexlunae

free enough and fair enough that putin retains a huge popularity rating among his people

so what - they're still a democracy

No. Democracy can't exist in such an environment.

Dictators tend to have high approval rates because people know what happens if they speak their minds. Saddam Hussein did. Hitler did. Putin's rivals tend to find themselves shot, poisoned, or tossed off buildings.

ClimateSanity

No. Democracy can't exist in such an environment.

Dictators tend to have high approval rates because people know what happens if they speak their minds. Saddam Hussein did. Hitler did. Putin's rivals tend to find themselves shot, poisoned, or tossed off buildings.
You have a very narrow view of democracy, but then your pal called Venezuelan elections democracy. :duh:

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app