Is calling Beanieboy a . . .

Is calling Beanieboy a . . .

• Total voters

JoyfulRook

Caledvwlch said:
Those Levites were some twisted fellows.
But since when have you cared what the Bible says? :rolleyes:

Considering they didn't write any of those laws until during or after the captivity, it seems like they might have had an unfounded grudge or two.
I would agree as long as you are referring to the Egyptian Captivity of Exodus.
They also weren't particularly fond of Moabites. Should we also follow the Levitical law barring Moabite descendents from the presense of God forever?
What are you referring to?

Caledvwlch

Dread Helm said:
But since when have you cared what the Bible says? :rolleyes:

I would agree as long as you are referring to the Egyptian Captivity of Exodus.
What are you referring to?
I'll be back in a few. Gotta re-find my references.

beanieboy

SOTK said:
Perhaps. Do I think it is always necessary to name call? No. Should name calling be the preferred method of communication when conversing with someone? No, it shouldn't, however, name calling can serve a purpose. While I agree that derogatory remarks serve no purpose other than to harm the person the remark is aimed at, sometimes it's necessary to harm someone. Jesus' use of derogatory remarks in the Bible is case in point. I believe His intention was to show these people that they were in harm's way. He wanted to wake them up! Sometimes a person needs to be woke up. Don't you think?

Jesus didn't give a wake up call to the Pharisees. He was angry because they were actually literally working against God to prevent them from entering heaven, while claiming to teach the Law of Moses and serve God. That is what angers God the most - people who parade as agents of God, who are actually pushing people away from him.

Do I think people need a wake up call sometimes?
Well, if it is truly effecting other people, sure.
And alcoholic, for example, needs to know how his drunken behavior effects his friends, his relationships with his family, etc. But calling him a lousy drunk is the best way to get him to start getting defensive.
But an effective intervention is, "you were supposed to pick me up from soccer, but stayed at the bar instead. I had to walk home. I feel like you like drinking more than you care about me."
That communicates "this is how this makes me feel. This is how what you do effects me." It's a wake up call. It's truth that hurts. But it doesn't have to be harsh. Truth can be very hard, even with the most kind words.

Do I think it's necessary to name-call?

Again, I think it is very important to be mindful of one's words.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
Caledvwlch said:
Those Levites were some twisted fellows. Considering they didn't write any of those laws until during or after the captivity, it seems like they might have had an unfounded grudge or two. They also weren't particularly fond of Moabites. Should we also follow the Levitical law barring Moabite descendents from the presense of God forever?

There was that whole thing about Sodom and Gomorrha being destroyed because of their wickedness. That's where we get the term Sodomite, remember?

Caledvwlch

Wamba the Fool said:
There was that whole thing about Sodom and Gomorrha being destroyed because of their wickedness. That's where we get the term Sodomite, remember?
Yeah, I remember. But I'm not going to get into it here. Getting ready to start a new thread.

beanieboy

BillyBob said:
Oh Beanieboy..........

:eek:

Romans 2:1-4
1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.
3 So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?
4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you toward repentance?

Care to trample more pearls?

Agape - Agape love is God's kind of love. It is seeking the welfare and betterment of another regardless of how we feel. Agape does not have the primary meaning of feelings or affection. Jesus displayed it when he went to the cross and died for you and me regardless of how He felt. In the gospels Jesus prayed, "..Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt" (Mt. 26:39; Mk. 14:36; Lk. 22:41-43; Jn. 18:11). Jesus sought the betterment of you and me, regardless of His feelings. Matthew 7:12 states it this way, "So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets" (RSV).

We can agape our enemies regardless of how we feel. If they are hungry, we can feed them; if they thirst we can give them a drink (Rom. 12:20-21). We can choose to seek the betterment and welfare of others regardless of how we feel.

Jesus was the greatest expression of love that ever came into the world, but it is never recorded that he ever said the words, "I love you!" Why? because 95 percent of all love is non-verbal. Jesus did not love with just words but in deed and truth (1 Jn. 3:18). If your actions contradict your words, what are people going to believe, your words or your actions? Your actions of course. Vine's Expository Dictionary states, "Love can be known only from the actions it prompts" (p. 21).

The following is a description of agape love, also called "charity" in the New Testament (1 Cor. 13). This paraphrase is based upon research of the Greek and English words and their meanings in 1 Cor. 13:4-8.

LOVE SUFFERETH LONG. God's love has a tolerance for and endures trying situations and persons beyond an average standard. God's love is patient.

LOVE IS KIND. God's love is of a friendly nature, generous, hospitable, warm-hearted, and good. God's love is charitable and helpful, showing sympathy and understanding for others. It is considerate, forbearing, tolerant, courteous, and thoughtful, desiring only to promote anothers welfare. It is generous, liberal, and beneficial, demonstrating itself in kindly acts.

LOVE ENVIETH NOT. God's love does not resent another's good fortune or desire to have what is his. God's love is not jealous and does not deprive another of what he has.

LOVE VAUNTETH NOT ITSELF. God's love does not boast and brag or abound with self-praise. It is not vain nor proud.

LOVE IS NOT PUFFED UP. God's love is not high-minded or puffed up with pride.

LOVE DOTH NOT BEHAVE ITSELF UNSEEMLY. God's love does not act, react, function, or perform in a manner which is in bad taste, improper, or in violation of what is right.

LOVE SEEKETH NOT HER OWN. God's love does not demand its own way.

LOVE IS NOT EASILY PROVOKED. God's love is not easily annoyed or incited to anger or resentment.

LOVE THINKETH NO EVIL. God's love does not reason about or reflect upon that which causes or constitutes misfortune, suffering, difficulty, or the like. God's love does not ponder upon wickedness.

LOVE REJOICETH NOT IN INIQUITY. God's love feels joyful when right, sincerity, integrity, honesty, and truth prevail.

LOVE BEARETH ALL THINGS. God's love makes it possible to withstand all stress and difficulty. Because God is love, He supports and carries on His own Person whatever is placed upon Him. God's love protects, covers, and keeps off anything which threatens the benefit and welfare of another. God's love holds back, refrains, and is tolerant and patient in all circumstances.

LOVE BELIEVETH ALL THINGS. God's love puts faith in others, believing the best of everyone (without criticizing or looking for fault).

LOVE HOPETH ALL THINGS. God's love persists in hoping, against all odds, in confidence and expectation of fulfillment of that which is promised.

LOVE ENDURETH ALL THINGS. God's love causes one to carry on through, despite hardships.

LOVE NEVER FAILETH. God's love never proves insufficient in duration or is unsuccessful in effectiveness. Love will never disappoint or prove undependable. God's love goes on forever and will never come to an end.

It's called Google.
Check it out.

Sold Out

Poly said:
Hypocrisy? Where do you get that?
It's actually quite biblical that some sins are worse than others. Turbo posted the passages that show this on another thread.

QUOTE]

The point I was making is that it only takes ONE sin, whether it be a lie, to steal something, commit fornication, endulge in homosexual behavior, etc, that will condemn one to hell for all eternity. In that respect, sin is sin, and no ONE sin has a greater chance of sending someone to hell than another.

I do believe homosexual behavior is an abomination, but so is remarrying your first spouse, having married and divorced a second spouse.

We as Christians have to be careful, but not ignore, the sin of homosexuality. Carrying around a sign that says 'GOD HATES FAGS' is not the way to reach a homosexual. The homosexual is a lost sinner, just like any other lost sinner, who needs salvation. Jesus paid the price for the whole sin of the world.

Believe me, I don't candy-coat this issue. My sister-in-law is a professed 'Gay Christian'. I have rebuked her on several occasions, warning her of the consequences of her actions. Right now she is not speaking to me because I refused to let her bring her gothic lesbian girlfriend to our Christmas gathering. I will take a stand when it's necessary, but it's best to try and reach the homosexual in a spirit of love, not ignoring the sin.

If Beanieboy says he is a Christian and has accepted Christ as his Savior, then when have no place to judge his salvation. Only God knows for sure. All we can do is try to convince him that homosexuality is wrong, that he will earn no rewards (Eze 3), and that he will stand before the judgment seat of Christ one day and be ashamed for how he lived his life. I don't want that for any Christian.

On Fire

Justin (Wiccan) said:
First and foremost, credit your source. Secondly, I am quite aware of the Greek verb parsing ... look at the behavior in this thread. The behavior demonstrated here is "continual/habitual" (not to mention wilful) violations of Col 4:6, thereby fully qualifying under 1 John 3:6.

Care to try again?

Justin
You don't know any of the people here. YOU try again, witch.

beanieboy

Sold Out said:
Beanieboy - I think what people don't understand is that what you feel is genuine. BUT (and that's a big BUT), that does not make it right. What if a man decides to commit adultery on his wife, because he has a strong urge (or feeling) do to so? Does that make it right? No! Why? Because the bible says adultery is a sin. God is not nullifying your feelings by saying homosexuality is wrong - He is trying to protect you. All of us have the sinful nature that we fight. One person fights alcoholism, one person fights promiscuity, one person fights habitual lying, another fights stealing. Everyone has that ONE besetting sin that haunts us on a daily basis. Everyday we are up against the WORLD, the DEVIL, and the FLESH, and our worst enemy is the FLESH.

I would never condemn you because you say you are gay, but I'm not going to agree with you either. God has to have the last say. It is impossible to say that homosexuality is right when God's Word is plain that it's not. We don't make up the rules, no matter how we FEEL. FAITH IS NOT FEELINGS!!! You can't say that lying, stealing, adultery, slandering, etc are sins and that homosexuality is not. You are essentially saying that all other sins on the tree of sinfulness are in fact sin, yet you choose to sanctify the sin of homosexuality. You must identify that your homosexual feelings are a result of your sin nature as a whole, and choose to honor God over your feelings.

An adulterer harms his wife, by lying, and cheating on her.
I think a man cheating on his male partner is the same as a man cheating on his wife.
But a man cheating on his wife is not the same as two men who love other.

But I don't see this in an honest homosexual relationship. You aren't lying to one another. You aren't doing things behind their back. There are those that claim you are only "using" one another. I suppose I could say that of heterosexual couples. (How many times have you heard guys bragging about what he got off his date, and other guys asking for details?)

I have found very little difference in gay and straight relationships. They look to each other for support, encouragement, they deal with jealousy, temptation, etc. But there is little real emotional difference. Physically, I suppose gay couples understand each other better, but other than that, people selfish in bed aren't good partners, gay or straight.

beanieboy

Dread Helm said:
But I bear love, and tough love.
I live by Romans 12:9
Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

Romans 12
9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14Bless those who persecute you[/B

]; bless and do not curse.

15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"[d]says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."[e] 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Why is it that you take an entire passage about love, and make it about hate?
That is all you get out of that pasage????

Sold Out

beanieboy said:
An adulterer harms his wife, by lying, and cheating on her.
I think a man cheating on his male partner is the same as a man cheating on his wife.
But a man cheating on his wife is not the same as two men who love other.

But I don't see this in an honest homosexual relationship. You aren't lying to one another. You aren't doing things behind their back. There are those that claim you are only "using" one another. I suppose I could say that of heterosexual couples. (How many times have you heard guys bragging about what he got off his date, and other guys asking for details?)

I have found very little difference in gay and straight relationships. They look to each other for support, encouragement, they deal with jealousy, temptation, etc. But there is little real emotional difference. Physically, I suppose gay couples understand each other better, but other than that, people selfish in bed aren't good partners, gay or straight.

But you are harming yourself by engaging in behavior that is sinful. No one sins in isolation. I'm sure there are those in your family, or friends, who are deeply hurt by your lifestyle and wish that you would stop pursuing it.

We aren't discussing relationships here - we are discussing whether or not homosexuality, by biblical standards, is wrong. Clearly it is.

Someone said you were a Buddhist.....I'm trying to catch up on this thread, so please tell me what your religious beliefs are.

beanieboy

Sold Out said:
We aren't discussing relationships here - we are discussing whether or not homosexuality, by biblical standards, is wrong. Clearly it is.

I should put that in my profile.
Yes, I'm a Buddhist.

My brother is a pastor. He's studied the 5 or 6 passages in Greek and Hebrew. Theologians are divided on it, actually. It isn't clear at all, when you look at the translations.

But we aren't discussing if homosexuality is right or wrong by biblical standards.

We are discussing whether it is Christlike to refer to someone as a faggot? In the bigger picture, is it Christlike to go out street witnessing, and call prostitutes a skank, a whore, a disgusting pile of filth, etc. in an effort to win her to the love of Christ?

Personally, anyone who can't display the love of Christ but only his wrath doesn't know God at all.

Honestly, will going up to a prostitute and saying, "Hey! God thinks you are a disgusting pile of vomit! Now repent and come to my church and learn about the love God has for it! DO IT!" is going to see God as loving, or hateful?

If anything, they are going to think that you are crazy, and preaching love while preaching hate is going to undermine your whole message.

beanieboy

Sold Out said:
Someone said you were a Buddhist.....I'm trying to catch up on this thread, so please tell me what your religious beliefs are.

Send me an email.
I don't want to make this thread about me.

Sold Out

beanieboy said:
I should put that in my profile.
Yes, I'm a Buddhist.

My brother is a pastor. He's studied the 5 or 6 passages in Greek and Hebrew. Theologians are divided on it, actually. It isn't clear at all, when you look at the translations.

But we aren't discussing if homosexuality is right or wrong by biblical standards.

We are discussing whether it is Christlike to refer to someone as a faggot? In the bigger picture, is it Christlike to go out street witnessing, and call prostitutes a skank, a whore, a disgusting pile of filth, etc. in an effort to win her to the love of Christ?

Personally, anyone who can't display the love of Christ but only his wrath doesn't know God at all.

Honestly, will going up to a prostitute and saying, "Hey! God thinks you are a disgusting pile of vomit! Now repent and come to my church and learn about the love God has for it! DO IT!" is going to see God as loving, or hateful?

If anything, they are going to think that you are crazy, and preaching love while preaching hate is going to undermine your whole message.

You are absolutely correct.

It is not Christ-like to call someone a faggot. The term 'Christ-like' infers that a person will act in accordance to the actions and attitudes of Christ. Christ was not a name-caller, but He did point out a person's sin in order to show them their need for a Savior.

So what brings you to the Exclusively Christian Theology section of TOL, since you are a Buddhist?

beanieboy

Sold Out said:
You are absolutely correct.

It is not Christ-like to call someone a faggot. The term 'Christ-like' infers that a person will act in accordance to the actions and attitudes of Christ. Christ was not a name-caller, but He did point out a person's sin in order to show them their need for a Savior.

So what brings you to the Exclusively Christian Theology section of TOL, since you are a Buddhist?

Honestly?

I feel like if my name is going to be in a thread, I should probably have a say.
I think I was baited, and from what I have seen, there are some really great christians, and some christians that will ignore their own bible, and condone their own questionable behavior by twisting the verses, omitting words, or ignoring copious amounts of passages calling to love.

That's one of the reasons Buddhism makes more sense to me.
I don't see many spiteful Buddhists.
The Dali Lama is far more peaceful that any televangelist.

The last respectful one I can think of is Billy Graham.
That's sad, because there a lot of them out there, one creepier than the other - Pat Robertson, Pat Bucchanon, Oral Roberts...
<shudder>

Sold Out

beanieboy said:
Honestly?

I feel like if my name is going to be in a thread, I should probably have a say.
I think I was baited, and from what I have seen, there are some really great christians, and some christians that will ignore their own bible, and condone their own questionable behavior by twisting the verses, omitting words, or ignoring copious amounts of passages calling to love.

That's one of the reasons Buddhism makes more sense to me.
I don't see many spiteful Buddhists.
The Dali Lama is far more peaceful that any televangelist.

The last respectful one I can think of is Billy Graham.
That's sad, because there a lot of them out there, one creepier than the other - Pat Robertson, Pat Bucchanon, Oral Roberts...
<shudder>

So do you have a Christian background and just recently started searching out buddhism?