I'm Not Anti-Christian - I'm anti-theocracy

shagster01

Laws, by definition, are an imposition of morality. Dig?

Weird. I looked up "law" and "laws" in several different sources and none of them said anything about imposition of morality. A law may accomplish such a thing sometimes, or seek to, but it is not what a law IS by definition.

genuineoriginal

Many conservative Americans Christians accuse liberal Non-Christians of being
"Anti-Christian " and supposedly being out to "persecute " them .
Nothing could be farther from the truth ,
Of course there are liberal Non-Christians that are out to persecute Christians, just as there are Muslims that want to blow themselves up on Israeli buses full of innocent children.
It may be only a minority of liberal Non-Christians that want to persecute Christians, but they are the ones that create the headlines.
and this is certainly true of me . I believe absolutely in religious freedom for everyone on earth .
Except when it comes to Christians, right?
But too many Christians in America mistakebeing criticized for being hated and being "persecuted ".
Far from being "persecuted ", Christians are the majority in America
The lesson from the South African Apartheid is that being a majority means nothing when the minority that is persecuting you has the power.
. They have most of the political and economic power in America .
Not true. Most Christians do not have the heartlessness needed to destroy their competition in order to gain the economic power needed to buy the politicians, the way that liberal Non-Christians have done in America.
On the contrary , it is Christians , certainly not all of them , who are trying to interfere with the private lives of others who do not share their faith , social and political views .
It is good that you bring up Christian social views, since the things that Christians are being persecuted for are telling people that they are not following the rules that are necessary for a strong society.
But the founding fathers wanted freedom for followers of any and every religion ,
No, the founding fathers wanted freedom for followers of any and every Christian religion. They fought against the Muslims on the Barbary coast, you know.
including non-believers . Too many Christians today fail to realize this fact . Every American has the right to follow any religion , or no religion at all .
Christians cannot and must not have "special rights ". They cannot use their religious beliefs as an excuse to demand that our government make laws based on THEIR religious beliefs .
Using our religious beliefs to demand that our government make laws based on OUR religious beliefs is not a special right, but is a right that is endowed to every American, even you.
As I just said , I'm not anti-christian , I'm anti-theocracy . Or anything which brings America closer to it .
The problem is that there are too many Christians who even though they deny it, DO want to bring America closer and closer to
a Christian theocracy in which Non-Christians would be second class citizens .
No, Christians that want to bring America closer to a Christian theocracy do not want non-Christians to be second class citizens. As it states in the Bible, there is to be one law for the citizens and the foreigners, not different laws. This means there are no second class citizens in a Christian theocracy. Everyone is held to the exact same laws.
They say "America is a "Christian nation ". It is only in the sense that the majority of Americans happen to be Christians .
The majority of Americans are Christians on paper, but that doesn't seem to mean much anymore.
But don't forget the millions of Americans who foolow Judaism , Islam, Hinduism, Budddhism and just about every other monro religion in existence , not to mention millions of atheists and agnostics . There are now more atheists in America than there were people at the time of our founding .
Yes, it is a tragedy that there are so many wicked people turning their backs on their Creator.
We are all in it together , whatever religion we follow , and we must all learn to get along and live together peacefully ,
The way to do that is to live by the rules of society that strengthen a society instead of tearing it apart. You know, the very laws that would be instituted by a Christian Theocracy instead of the destructive laws devised by the wicked godless liberal Anti-Christians.
or we are
doomed to the kind of religious strife which has caused so much death and destruction over the centuries .
As an agnostic , I don't "hate" Christians , nor do I condemn anyone merely for being a Christian . But I do fear those who refuse
to respect the rights of those who do not share their faith , and there are too many of these in America now .
So, stop disrespecting the rights of Christians.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Comparing American Christians to blacks who suffered through apartheid is an intellectual insult and outrage.:down:

Man but you guys love yourself a good ole fashion wannabe martyr pity party.:nono:

genuineoriginal

For example, many Christians believe that gay people should be denied rights because of THEIR Christian beliefs .
Gay people should have the right to a speedy fair trial with two or three eye witnesses and a swift public execution, as should any other person that commits such a horrendous violation of the rules needed for a strong society.
You are denying them those rights, just as you are denying the 97% of America that is not "gay" the right to live in a stable society.
Many Christians want prayer to be returned to schools . CHRISTIAN prayer . AndBible readings .
Isn't it amazing how great America became as a nation when there was Christian prayer in school and the Bible was used as a textbook?
Isn't it appalling how despicable American has become since Christianity was outlawed in school?
But what about the rights of the many NON-Christian parents ? They don't want their children to be subject ot Christian indoctrination in schools, which are places for TEACHING , not preaching .
So what?

genuineoriginal

Comparing American Christians to blacks who suffered through apartheid is an intellectual insult and outrage.:down:

Man but you guys love yourself a good ole fashion wannabe martyr pity party.:nono:

You should pull your head out of the sand sometime and look around.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You should pull your head out of the sand sometime and look around.

I do. And what I see gives you people zero to complain about.

You guys have had the run of the place for an extremely long time. And for the first time, really, in decades--if not ever--people aren't buying what you're selling and are free to say so. They're even free to openly mock you, which is something many believers loathe. This turn of events unnerves evangelicals because they're not used to open, actual disagreement. You confuse this with "persecution" when really it's just an expression of the pluralistic society you live in. Explains why so many of you hate this country so much: You don't want a seat at the table, you want the only seat.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Am I wrong? Here is the thing. I don't accept the Bible as a legal standard for a few, simple reasons.

1. I do not believe the Bible was written by God, as such, it has no more authority than any other written text.
  2. The social/legal environment was so drastically different at the time it was written, it does not compare to today. Not even a little bit.

I do not need the Bible to tell me things are wrong in order for me to know they are wrong. I was raised outside of a Christian community and I have a conscience. I am able to determine (with a decent amount of success) what is the right thing to do. I do not need a 1700 year old book that is used to oppress to tell me anything. And I certainly don't need a narcissistic moron on the internet trying to tell me otherwise. Good day, sir. :e4e:

Translated: "Yep, murder is wrong because I say so.."-quetzal....and you are imposing your version of morality on others, and are an actress, as your "argument" is not with having a standard, but that you don't like our standard. Tough.

Respective members of the BOC's standard: The Bible

Vs.

Your standard: Your mind. "Yep, murder is wrong because I say so.."

Contrasts.

"I do not need a 1700 year old book that is used to oppress to tell me anything."-you

-"oppress"-emotional blubberings...Lovely.

-You don't need a 250 year old US Constitution, either, to tell you anything, do you, as "Yep, murder is wrong because I say so.."

Thanks for conceding that your an actress/fraud.

I do not need a 12 year old, who is a little kid, to tell me anything.

See how that works?

Sit down.

"And I certainly don't need a narcissistic moron on the internet trying to tell me otherwise. Good day, sir. "-you

Translated: Emotionalism....Pouting...Kicking your feet....Tantrum....as the tike thinks that everyone is trying to gyp him out of his Blow Pops.

john w

Hall of Fame
No. I don't care for a theocracy. You're really no different from al-Qaida. They too want the rule of law to be based on a "holy" book. We developed a constitution that guarantees you freedom of religion, but in so doing bars you from turning your religion into law. What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" don't you understand?

If muslims managed to enforce the quaran on you, I doubt you'd consider that fair game. I look at you the same way, Mr. Bin Laden.

You missed the "argument:"

"Christians cannot and must not have "special rights ". They cannot use their religious beliefs as an excuse to demand that our government make laws based on THEIR religious beliefs ."-Horn

"They too want the rule of law to be based on a "holy" book. We developed a constitution that guarantees you freedom of religion,"-you

False dichotomy. The US Constitution, laws.........impose morality.

"bars you from turning your religion into law."-you

Such as thou shalt not murder.............?

Why are there laws? Imposition of morality? From when do the laws of the US derive? The Constitution? That's your standard? Why? And why are you demanding that we "punt" our standard?

See how that works?

Christians are not asserting doing away with the freedom of religion- "freedom of religion" is a rabbit trail, misdirection.

Your against murder? What standard? The Constitution? Mine is the bible. You are the one who is not subscribing to "guarantees you freedom of religion."

Why is that?

The real issue is that you just don't like our standard.

Tough.

john w

Hall of Fame
Weird. I looked up "law" and "laws" in several different sources and none of them said anything about imposition of morality. A law may accomplish such a thing sometimes, or seek to, but it is not what a law IS by definition.

Made up. Laws are an imposition of morality. Only a mystic, an insane person, would "argue" that they are not.

Why is murder(fill in the blank) wrong?

Anyone: Makes a moral judgment as to why.

Sit down.

TrakeM

You missed the "argument:"

"Christians cannot and must not have "special rights ". They cannot use their religious beliefs as an excuse to demand that our government make laws based on THEIR religious beliefs ."-Horn

"They too want the rule of law to be based on a "holy" book. We developed a constitution that guarantees you freedom of religion,"-you

False dichotomy. The US Constitution, laws.........impose morality.

"bars you from turning your religion into law."-you

Such as thou shalt not murder.............?

Why are there laws? Imposition of morality? From when do the laws of the US derive? The Constitution? That's your standard? Why? And why are you demanding that we "punt" our standard?

See how that works?

Christians are not asserting doing away with the freedom of religion- "freedom of religion" is a rabbit trail, misdirection.

Your against murder? What standard? The Constitution? Mine is the bible. You are the one who is not subscribing to "guarantees you freedom of religion."

Why is that?

The real issue is that you just don't like our standard.

Tough.
Murder objectively violates the rights of others. Same with stealing. Same with abiding by deuteronomy chapter 13. That's why we don't allow these things. My standard is respect for the basic human rights laid out in the constitution. If you want a theocracy, might I suggest Uganda or Pakistan or Iran? Basically just get in a plane and find a horrible hell hole. Chances are, it'll turn out to be exactly what you're looking for. Somehow though, I doubt you'll be happy when you get it.

Thankfully, religion is on the decline. Especially your religion. Senseless murder of innocent people just isn't as popular as it used to be. Tough for you. Just take a look at the next generation. They're already digging a grave to unceremoniously dump your dream of a theocracy into.

shagster01

Made up. Laws are an imposition of morality. Only a mystic, an insane person, would "argue" that they are not.

Why is murder(fill in the blank) wrong?

Anyone: Makes a moral judgment as to why.

Sit down.

Only for people like you who must, for some reason, view everything in right/wrong terms.

Murder is not illegal because it is wrong. It is illegal because it is prohibitive to the survival of the society. Morality has nothing to do with it.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
The Barbary pirates were North Africans , not Americans . The founding fathers were not opposed to people in America being Muslims . They fought Muslim prates who were threatening America .
They would not have had any problems with peaceful, law-abiding Muslims living in America .
George Washington did something radical when he welcomed Jews into America , saying that this country would "give to bigotry no sanction ".

Foxfire

How do you decide what laws should be made? Let me guess: Feelings? What you think is right? What's your standard? Ours is the bible.

Laws, by definition, are an imposition of morality. Dig?

Exactly what "morality" was the guiding element for the Missouri Extermination Order of 1838? Was that a legitimate example of Biblical based jurisprudence?

TrakeM

Exactly what "morality" was the guiding element for the Missouri Extermination Order of 1838? Was that a legitimate example of Biblical based jurisprudence?
The bible is mostly about psychotic mass murder of innocent men women and children. deuteronomy chapter 13.

john w

Hall of Fame
Murder objectively violates the rights of others. Same with stealing. Same with abiding by deuteronomy chapter 13. That's why we don't allow these things. My standard is respect for the basic human rights laid out in the constitution. If you want a theocracy, might I suggest Uganda or Pakistan or Iran? Basically just get in a plane and find a horrible hell hole. Chances are, it'll turn out to be exactly what you're looking for. Somehow though, I doubt you'll be happy when you get it.

Thankfully, religion is on the decline. Especially your religion. Senseless murder of innocent people just isn't as popular as it used to be. Tough for you. Just take a look at the next generation. They're already digging a grave to unceremoniously dump your dream of a theocracy into.

"Murder objectively violates the rights of others. Same with stealing"=

That is a moral judgment on your part, as you are assessing what is right/wrong.

Why should you be imposing your view that murder is wrong, because it "objectively violates the rights of others," on me, others?

When you are in a ditch, stop digging, as your "argument" is one that self refutes/destructs, despite any forthcoming protests to the contrary.Sit down.

Any system of laws imposes morality on behavior.