I have an Idea for a new Christian Branch.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Very good point, but truth will be defined differently from others points of views. Kind of like...How People of the South consider Sherman a war criminal, while the people of the North do not.

So, your truth is the truth, and my truth is the truth as well? Even
though they differ? Everyone's truth is the combined truth of
everyone else's? Does that sound logical to you? If I say, the earth
is round and you say it is flat, are we both speaking the truth?

Is that what your "new religion" is all about? There is no falsity in
our universe, all is truth? All is subjective reasoning/logic? No man
is wrong, all is well?

Perception rules?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
JS, you're very confused and have an inability to properly articulate your
thoughts. Seems as if, you don't have a clue what to believe? So, you believe
and accept everything. No matter what you say, black is black, white is white,
yellow is yellow, etc. To believe these colors are all the same creates a problem
with logic and reason. Understand my analogy?

Brother Vinny

Don't mind me, I'm the fly in the ointment.

Seems to me every novel system of Christianity either goes in one of two directions: 1) legalism, to appeal to people's pride in being able to measure up to the system's standard, or 2) licentiousness, to appeal to the LCD of mankind.

What strikes me as odd are those who would balk at the sort of legalism engendered by a system of works, but are every bit as legalist when it comes to their system of belief. Orthodoxy is the new orthopraxy.

alwight

Ah I get what you are saying :) I am just confused why people are calling me blasphemous when all I am doing is coming up with a reasonable and logical idea for a religion.
Fundies are typically not people who are open to change or who will wander very far from their literalist view of ancient scripture and in what they deem to be blasphemous.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
James,

Aunt Nellie can learn and apply knowledge about making jam and relish and improve every year. She can also give bottles away to have-not families and spread good will to the needy. But her domestic science will never answer the big questions that humans must answer.

Who am I?
Why am I here?
Where am I going?

Humans have a basic need to settle these things which is evidenced by the fact that everyone forms opinions about them. I suggest that the very fact that you want to explore new ideas are really part of this need but, at this point, is blind and undirected.

Although other sciences (geology, physics, medicine, etc.) are much more complicated, they are not infinitely so. Just as domestic science is finite, so are the others. The reason many have faith in science is because we are still exploring finite science and it appears infinite - but its not. It is simply the finding out of what is, what works, and how to apply principles for further knowledge. Even atheists will tell you that science cannot answer the big questions.

Not only can science not answer these basic questions, there is only one right answer to each. (ie. God made me - God did not make me, cannot both be true) The fact that there are many wrong answers in the world competing against each other aids in creating the chaos we see today. It also shows that the Bible is right when it says things were created perfectly but now things are broken.

Ask yourself the question: "Is it reasonable to assume, if God created all things, and us as relationship creatures, that He would leave us stranded on this desert island without communicating to us?" I am convinced we are not just goldfish in a bowl in God's living room. The Bible claims to be that communication we would expect from our creator. The big questions are answered there.

alwight

Not only can science not answer these basic questions, there is only one right answer to each. (ie. God made me - God did not make me, cannot both be true) The fact that there are many wrong answers in the world competing against each other aids in creating the chaos we see today. It also shows that the Bible is right when it says things were created perfectly but now things are broken.
This life is full of "broken" and imperfect things, just as it was when Biblical scripture was first recorded and evidentially long before that too.

All religions were formed in an imperfect world and to outsiders their imperfections are perhaps rather more apparent than to those of the faith.
If however believers themselves become aware of the faults they might perhaps: carry on regardless, give up their belief or start a new one (or a modified version)! :idea:

Presupposition that there once was a time of perfection (a Godly creation since only a god might be perfect?) and that therefore the Bible is literally correct about that and thus everything else it says is therefore true, is of course a nice fat circular fallacy since no time of perfection is evidenced anywhere outside of the human imagination.
Life just is inherently imperfect, that's how it works.

James Shepard

This life is full of "broken" and imperfect things, just as it was when Biblical scripture was first recorded and evidentially long before that too.

All religions were formed in an imperfect world and to outsiders their imperfections are perhaps rather more apparent than to those of the faith.
If however believers themselves become aware of the faults they might perhaps: carry on regardless, give up their belief or start a new one (or a modified version)! :idea:

Presupposition that there once was a time of perfection (a Godly creation since only a god might be perfect?) and that therefore the Bible is literally correct about that and thus everything else it says is therefore true, is of course a nice fat circular fallacy since no time of perfection is evidenced anywhere outside of the human imagination.
Life just is inherently imperfect, that's how it works.

Thank you for making that more clear than I could. :)

James Shepard

JS, you're very confused and have an inability to properly articulate your
thoughts. Seems as if, you don't have a clue what to believe? So, you believe
and accept everything. No matter what you say, black is black, white is white,
yellow is yellow, etc. To believe these colors are all the same creates a problem
with logic and reason. Understand my analogy?

Can you describe black? Can you describe White? Can you describe Yellow? Can you describe red? It is possible to do so, but every person will describe them differently yet mean the same

James Shepard

James,

Aunt Nellie can learn and apply knowledge about making jam and relish and improve every year. She can also give bottles away to have-not families and spread good will to the needy. But her domestic science will never answer the big questions that humans must answer.

Who am I?
Why am I here?
Where am I going?

Humans have a basic need to settle these things which is evidenced by the fact that everyone forms opinions about them. I suggest that the very fact that you want to explore new ideas are really part of this need but, at this point, is blind and undirected.

Although other sciences (geology, physics, medicine, etc.) are much more complicated, they are not infinitely so. Just as domestic science is finite, so are the others. The reason many have faith in science is because we are still exploring finite science and it appears infinite - but its not. It is simply the finding out of what is, what works, and how to apply principles for further knowledge. Even atheists will tell you that science cannot answer the big questions.

Ask yourself the question: "Is it reasonable to assume, if God created all things, and us as relationship creatures, that He would leave us stranded on this desert island without communicating to us?" I am convinced we are not just goldfish in a bowl in God's living room. The Bible claims to be that communication we would expect from our creator. The big questions are answered there.

That was a very good point. The problem I am having is just, My idea is very complicated and just so difficult for me to actually put to paper and represent it adequately. I do somewhat believe we are a gold fish but not totally. Even with God's indirect intervention, he is still interacting with us as he set it up long ago. Do you kind of understand what I mean?