GUNS!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
As am I. My preference for the 1911 comes from the fact that the trigger can be squeezed accidentally. Things get into you're holster sometimes and when your holstering your really just shoving the firearm into a hole; if theirs something hanging up it could push against the trigger.

I have never heard of this happening however, so perhaps its just excessive caution on my part. :noid:

:think: Eeehhh....Yes and no. It can happen but it's usually someone wasn't paying attention to the condition of his equipment. The negligent discharges I have seen with these types of pistols seems to always revolve around the part of the holster which is supposed to be covering the trigger gets soft and crumpled/folded up. The result is the fold pressing on the trigger during re-holstering. In one case I heard of, it happened when the guy sat down in his car. :AMR:

Supposedly using a Kydex holster (as opposed to leather) keeps this from happening...I hate Kydex....That old school thing again. :plain:

And a tip of the hat to you. :e4e:

:e4e:

Dan Emanuel

:think: Eeehhh....Yes and no. It can happen but it's usually someone wasn't paying attention to the condition of his equipment. The negligent discharges I have seen with these types of pistols seems to always revolve around the part of the holster which is supposed to be covering the trigger gets soft and crumpled/folded up. The result is the fold pressing on the trigger during re-holstering. In one case I heard of, it happened when the guy sat down in his car. :AMR:
OK. I appreciate you're response, taking the time and all. I was hoping that it wasn't something like this with the Glock, that it was all just in my head, but I guess not.

This just never happens with a 1911. I mean, I'm sure it does, but its got to be when the thumb safety is somehow disengaged (either accidentally, or, more likely when holstering, negligently, as you shouldn't holster this device without first engaging the thumb safety).
Supposedly using a Kydex holster (as opposed to leather) keeps this from happening...I hate Kydex....That old school thing again. :plain:
I don't mind Kydex. I use a combo/hybrid Kydex/leather called a Minotaur I think. It's tuckable, and the leathers against you, and the Kydex is for the pistol. Its not bad. :idunno:
'Been a pleasure.

Daniel

Last edited:
I have heard, many of the "so-called" accidents with Glocks happen when an officer is reholstering his/her gun. If their finger is still inside the trigger guard, reholstering will cause the finger to fully engage the trigger firing a shot into a person's leg. I even heard of one officer doing this twice, seconds apart. If training can be defeated by a lack of concentration, something like the Siderlock will provide a 4th Glock safety. All but one of my Glocks have a Siderlocks installed by a Glock armourer. Or you can buy the parts on Amazon and do it yourself.

Besides Glocks, I like DA/SA Sigs of all calibers. You can feel the quality that goes into a Sig when you pick it up. Sigs patterned after the 1911 are SA with a safety. I have one Sig and one Colt like this, the Colt being Commander sized.

I'm not too keen on pistols having a magazine lock. This means, when a magazine is dropped, the gun is safe until a new magazine is inserted. Browning Hi-Powers are like that.

I have two DA revolvers with exposed hammers. These aren't carry pieces so I'm not concerned about the hammer catching on clothing. I don't care what the Gun Mags say, the only DA revolver for me is a Smith & Wesson. I have a 686-6.

As for rifles, I know very little about rifles but have several. I'm hoping to be more knowledgable before summer is out.

Dan Emanuel

I have heard, many of the "so-called" accidents with Glocks happen when an officer is reholstering his/her gun. If their finger is still inside the trigger guard, reholstering will cause the finger to fully engage the trigger firing a shot into a person's leg. I even heard of one officer doing this twice, seconds apart.
These are the type's of accident's I worry about, and what prompted my post's concerning Glock's versus the 1911. For me, this evidence make's the 1911 the inherently safer tool.
Sigs patterned after the 1911 are SA with a safety.
Do you mean by "Sigs patterned after the 1911" actual 1911s? The pattern is available for anybody to make, being a Sig instead of a Colt doesn't make it not a 1911...AFAIK anyway.
I'm not too keen on pistols having a magazine lock. This means, when a magazine is dropped, the gun is safe until a new magazine is inserted. Browning Hi-Powers are like that.
I agree with you.

Daniel

[/COLOR]These are the type's of accident's I worry about, and what prompted my post's concerning Glock's versus the 1911. For me, this evidence make's the 1911 the inherently safer tool.
1911's aren't 1911s anymore. There's the Colt series 70, 80, 1991, et al. The better 1911's now are using parts made by others, semi-customed for their guns. Most, but not all, parts are interchangeable. My Colt and Sig use the same magazines without a problem. One thing I don't like about SA guns is you have to leave the safety on all the time, unless you remove the round in the chamber. This means your hammer spring is always compressed. Maybe it's not a problem, maybe it could be. With a Glock, the striker spring is only compressed fully when the trigger is pulled. It is in half-**** position until then. I like that because it's always loaded.

A good 1911 will be more accurate, but not by that much. I got rid of my first 1911 for more money than I paid for it and used that money to buy a Sig P220 DA/SA. I don't regret buying that Sig but I missed not having a 1911. My favorite Gun Shop just happened to have a Sig 1911 with Nite Sights and it fit my hand perfectly. On another visit, a Colt Commander jumped out of the case into my hand before I could get my wallet out. So I have 4 .45 ACP guns with three different trigger systems. The Glock I have is a Glock 30SF. I have a holster for it for carry but usually carry a Glock 27 in .40 S&W.
Do you mean by "Sigs patterned after the 1911" actual 1911s? The pattern is available for anybody to make, being a Sig instead of a Colt doesn't make it not a 1911...AFAIK anyway.[/COLOR]I agree with you.
Daniel
The original 1911 is over 100 years old. The 1911 design has changed over the years, and some of that's been good, some not so much. Sigs, in my opinion, have stayed true to the original design only enhancing it with Nite Sights, beaver-tail grip safety, skeletonized trigger, checkering and grips. The Colt 1911 I have is different also. Stock sites are different than my old Springfield Armory 1911A1, which had GI WWII era sites. A Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 will look more like my Colt than an original Colt from 1911. Actually, I believe some design changes took place after WWI and the 1911 we all know and love was upgraded in 1924. Then there's the Series 70 vs. Series 80, etc.

Dan Emanuel

1911's aren't 1911s anymore. There's the Colt series 70, 80, 1991, et al. The better 1911's now are using parts made by others, semi-customed for their guns. Most, but not all, parts are interchangeable.
I like the external extractor over the internal --simpler. Thats 1 part thats not interchangeable.
My Colt and Sig use the same magazines without a problem. One thing I don't like about SA guns is you have to leave the safety on all the time, unless you remove the round in the chamber. This means your hammer spring is always compressed. Maybe it's not a problem, maybe it could be.
Its not a problem. I'm going out on a bit of a limb they're, but I have literally never heard of anybody having a problem with a hammer spring on a moderate-quality 1911.

That doesn't mean anything in and of itself of course, except as a/by way of comparison, to what I've heard about negligent/accidental discharge's with Glock's. I've heard of those happening.

Spring's are fine when their compressed. You store all you're magazine's loaded, correct? Because an empty magazine is useless? Those spring's are just as important as you're hammer spring on you're carry gun, especially if you only have the 1, or the 1 and a back-up or 2. 'Can't chamber round 2 if you're mag spring fail's, and again, on moderate-quality mag's, the spring is always fine.

(I'm open to being shown that I'm wrong on that, S.O.G., if you have information suggesting the contrary. :))
With a Glock, the striker spring is only compressed fully when the trigger is pulled. It is in half-**** position until then. I like that because it's always loaded.
Yup.
A good 1911 will be more accurate, but not by that much.
Than a Glock? I think production Glock's are more accurate and better shooter's in some or many regard's than moderate quality production 1911s. Just because of mag capacity (I won't use a doublestack 1911) you can hurl a lot more lead at the problem/target with a Glock for starter's. I like the trigger pull better on the 1911 but its not a big deal either way.

I anticipate pistol-range range's for a pistol, and the accuracy for me is more about me being able to shoot by muscle memory rather than having my handgun be inherently more accurate, which come's down to training, getting that muscle memory in their so its automatic in adrenaline saturated experience's. I'm speaking of course of self defense scenario's. Where accuracy is more important even than the inherent safety of the tool, I think you can get more value in a Glock, all other thing's being equal. Which their not.
I got rid of my first 1911 for more money than I paid for it
:cheers:
and used that money to buy a Sig P220 DA/SA. I don't regret buying that Sig but I missed not having a 1911. My favorite Gun Shop just happened to have a Sig 1911 with Nite Sights and it fit my hand perfectly. On another visit, a Colt Commander jumped out of the case into my hand before I could get my wallet out. So I have 4 .45 ACP guns with three different trigger systems. The Glock I have is a Glock 30SF. I have a holster for it for carry but usually carry a Glock 27 in .40 S&W.
I should search for that model (Glock 30SF) before asking, but is that the tiny little singlestack .45? I love that 1....
The original 1911 is over 100 years old. The 1911 design has changed over the years, and some of that's been good, some not so much.
I don't know of any change --speaking again of moderate-quality 1911s --that isn't good. I like all the change's.
Sigs, in my opinion, have stayed true to the original design only enhancing it with Nite Sights, beaver-tail grip safety, skeletonized trigger, checkering and grips.
Thats what everybody does now. Skeletonized hammer too, and I love the ambi thumb safeties too.
The Colt 1911 I have is different also. Stock sites are different than my old Springfield Armory 1911A1, which had GI WWII era sites. A Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 will look more like my Colt than an original Colt from 1911. Actually, I believe some design changes took place after WWI and the 1911 we all know and love was upgraded in 1924. Then there's the Series 70 vs. Series 80, etc.
The whole thing with the 1911 for me though is the 3 independent, utterly reliable safety system's. Those haven't changed. The grip safety and the thumb safety are typically extended now (another 2 modern change's to the design that we both forgot to mention, along with that the backstrap is typically flat instead of rounded), but they're has been no change to the fundamental mechanism of each safety system.

'Been a pleasure, S.O.G. :e4e:

Daniel

I like the external extractor over the internal --simpler. Thats 1 part thats not interchangeable.
Its not a problem. I'm going out on a bit of a limb they're, but I have literally never heard of anybody having a problem with a hammer spring on a moderate-quality 1911.
My Sig 1911 has an external extractor. My Colt Commander has an internal extractor. I've had no problem with either. I pay more for quality and reliability.
That doesn't mean anything in and of itself of course, except as a/by way of comparison, to what I've heard about negligent/accidental discharge's with Glock's. I've heard of those happening.
I've never had an accidental discharge even when would-be home invaders were trying to break-in my front door. I used a Glock 27 in .40 S&W. There's a reason Glock's are so popular with police and civilians alike. The only guy I know that had an accidental discharge was with a Beretta 92F, 9mm. I only know about that since he came into work with his arm in a sling.
Spring's are fine when their compressed. You store all you're magazine's loaded, correct? Because an empty magazine is useless? Those spring's are just as important as you're hammer spring on you're carry gun, especially if you only have the 1, or the 1 and a back-up or 2. 'Can't chamber round 2 if you're mag spring fail's, and again, on moderate-quality mag's, the spring is always fine.
Recommended practice for ALL magazine fed weapons is to load one less than maximum on magazines to preserve springs. I do not believe one needs to be that careful with Wolf springs. My .45s, Glock, Colt, and Sig (2) I do not keep loaded as they are not used for home protection at this time. My wife has three .40 caliber Glocks herself, 1 in the car and 2 in the home. I alternate between carry and car guns between a Glock 26, Glock 27, and Glock 33 with two barrels. I've shot my Glock 30SF (Compact) enough that I'd feel perfectly comfortable carrying it. I now have concealable holsters for my Glock 30SF, 19 and 23, and since I've lost 22 lbs because of diabetes, I may start carrying one of my Glock compacts instead of subcompacts.
(I'm open to being shown that I'm wrong on that, S.O.G., if you have information suggesting the contrary. :))
Every accident I know of regarding Glocks is the result of poor training. There's a lot of "stories" out there, how true they are is questionable. I do know for a fact that my boss blew his Kimber 1911 up using reloaded ammo. Personally, I've not had a problem with reloads. There's a reason 57% of all police departments and government agencies use Glocks.
Than a Glock? I think production Glock's are more accurate and better shooter's in some or many regard's than moderate quality production 1911s. Just because of mag capacity (I won't use a doublestack 1911) you can hurl a lot more lead at the problem/target with a Glock for starter's. I like the trigger pull better on the 1911 but its not a big deal either way.
After I had three Glocks, I tried a 1911 rental at a range. The gun felt so good that I knew I had to have one. So I bought a used Springfield Armory 1911A1, Series 70 trigger and GI sites. I liked the gun but hated the sites. Since I'm a collector as well as a shooter, most guns I buy I still have. The S/A 1911 was going to cost me more money that if I bought a new 1911 with the essentials. So I used it as a trade-in on a Sig P220 (.45 but not a 1911). Shoots and feels great. I bought my Sig 1911 later.
I anticipate pistol-range range's for a pistol, and the accuracy for me is more about me being able to shoot by muscle memory rather than having my handgun be inherently more accurate, which come's down to training, getting that muscle memory in their so its automatic in adrenaline saturated experience's. I'm speaking of course of self defense scenario's. Where accuracy is more important even than the inherent safety of the tool, I think you can get more value in a Glock, all other thing's being equal. Which their not.
:cheers:
I should search for that model (Glock 30SF) before asking, but is that the tiny little singlestack .45? I love that 1.....
You're talking about the Glock 36. Now that's a single stack .45. I don't have one yet...
I don't know of any change --speaking again of moderate-quality 1911s --that isn't good. I like all the change's.
Thats what everybody does now. Skeletonized hammer too, and I love the ambi thumb safeties too.
The whole thing with the 1911 for me though is the 3 independent, utterly reliable safety system's. Those haven't changed. The grip safety and the thumb safety are typically extended now (another 2 modern change's to the design that we both forgot to mention, along with that the backstrap is typically flat instead of rounded), but they're has been no change to the fundamental mechanism of each safety system.

'Been a pleasure, S.O.G. :e4e:

Daniel
My first 1911 had the curved backstrap which I really liked at the time. When I tried out the flat mainspring housing, I liked that two. I thought I could always change it to curved but never felt the need. The two guns that fit my hand like they were molded for it are a Colt SAA in .45 LC and a CZ 75B in 9 mm. I don't have the first but do have the 2nd. I'm a collector afterall. :cheers:

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:rotfl: For Delmar:

picture.php

Dan Emanuel

My Sig 1911 has an external extractor. My Colt Commander has an internal extractor. I've had no problem with either. I pay more for quality and reliability.
I like that external extractor's are simpler, but I've never owned 1 without an external extractor. I only know I don't have to worry about "tuning" my external's. :)
I've never had an accidental discharge even when would-be home invaders were trying to break-in my front door.
I've never had either a negligent or accidental discharge either, though I never had such a scary experience as that!
I used a Glock 27 in .40 S&W. There's a reason Glock's are so popular with police and civilians alike.
They are very simple and very reliable.
The only gun I know had an accidental discharge was a Beretta 92F, 9mm. I only know about that since he came into work with his arm in a sling.
Wow. I've never even fired 1 of those, but I know they are standard issue sidearm for the Marines.
Recommended practice for ALL magazine fed weapons is to load less than maximum on magazines to prefer springs. I do not believe one needs to be that careful with Wolf springs.
I buy quality mag's myself. You really don't want to skimp on something you may wind up using to defend yourself or other's.
My .45s, Glock, Colt, and Sig (2) I do not keep loaded as they are not used for home protection at this time. My wife has three .40 caliber Glocks herself, 1 in the car and 2 in the home. I alternate between carry and car guns between a Glock 26, Glock 27, and Glock 33 with two barrels. I've shot my Glock 30SF (Compact) enough that I'd feel perfectly comfortable carrying it. I now have concealable holsters for my Glock 30SF, 19 and 23, and since I've lost 22 lbs because of diabetes, I may start carrying one of my Glock compacts instead of subcompacts.
Sound's like you have a well armed family. :)
Every accident I know of regarding Glocks is the result of poor training. There's a lot of "stories" out there, how true they are is questionable.
My concern with Glock's is that they are not "concussion-proof." Concussion's happen, you never know when, and if you suffer a concussion for whatever reason, the chance's that you'll have an accidental discharge with a Glock is greater than with a 1911, due to those 3 system's of safety.
I do know for a fact that my boss blew his Kimber 1911 up using reloaded ammo. Personally, I've not had a problem with reloads.
Wow, scary.
There's a reason 57% of all police departments and government agencies use Glocks.
Very reliable. I hadn't heard about anybody "blowing (up)" there 1911 with any kind of ammo.
After I had three Glocks, I tried a 1911 rental at a range. The gun felt so good that I knew I had to have one.
I prefer the cant on the 1911 to the more forward slanting Glock. I know I'd get used to the Glock over time, but the 1911 being a little more straight up and down does feel more natural to me also.
So I bought a used Springfield Armory 1911A1, Series 70 trigger and GI sites. I liked the gun but hated the sites.
I greatly prefer newer site's, like the night-site's you mentioned before.
Since I'm a collector as well as a shooter, most guns I buy I still have. The S/A 1911 was going to cost me more money that if I bought a new 1911 with the essentials. So I used it as a trade-in on a Sig P220 (.45 but not a 1911). Shoots and feels great. I bought my Sig 1911 later.
You're talking about the Glock 36. Now that's a single stack .45. I don't have one yet...
Its such a small little thing, and pack's a whallop with .45s. Small enough realistically for an ankle holster, though its still a Glock, and I've got safety concern's with them (as I've been indicating).

I've looked at the smaller/compact 1911s, and if I won the lottery I'd avail myself of 1 or 2 of them.

'Ever fired a 1911 chambered in 9mm? I haven't, but the idea intrigue's me, especially for the wife, who like's the 1911 in .45 but wishes' it were a little less powerful in her hand.
My first 1911 had the curved backstrap which I really liked at the time. When I tried out the flat mainspring housing, I liked that two. I thought I could always change it to curved but never felt the need. The two guns that fit my hand like they were molded for it are a Colt SAA in .45 LC and a CZ 75B in 9 mm. I don't have the first but do have the 2nd. I'm a collector afterall. :cheers:
:)

Daniel

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:rotfl: For Delmar:

picture.php

I sold my last Hi Point last week. Not that I ever had a problem with it. I just hadn't fired it in a long time and I needed the money. I doubt if I will ever buy another. Mostly becuse I am now more interested in owning revolvers and shotguns.

Ever fired a 1911 chambered in 9mm? I haven't, but the idea intrigue's me, especially for the wife, who like's the 1911 in .45 but wishes' it were a little less powerful in her hand.
:)

Daniel
The most punishing handgun I've ever shot was my wife's Beretta 950BS in .25 ACP. I can't hardly stand putting a box thru it but I could shoot my other guns all day, even my S&W 686 .357 magnum revolver.

Shooting mostly .40s, 9mm seems fairly tame in medium to large frame guns to me. Never shot a 9mm 1911. If you're thinking about the Kimber Solo 9mm, I would caution you to read the reviews on it by owners. There are some unhappy people with Kimber. If you're trying to stay away from striker-fired polymer pistols, you might look at Kahr. But there again, no external safety. You may have to double-check that's true by visiting their website. For me, there's no advantage for Kahr over the Glock. And my Glocks all have 4 safeties. Except for my Sig 1911, my Sigs are all DA/SA with decockers, no external safeties.

The latest issue of Gun Tests rates the Ruger LW Commander 1911 with very high marks. Might be worth a look, but unless you're a big guy, you probably won't be carrying it on you ankle.:carryon:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So it is an interpritation of that rule that restricts hollow points? An interpritation by the UN?

Hollow points are not restricted.

This is standard issue ammo now used by the USMC.

View attachment 19811

View attachment 19812

It is a hollow point. But it is not designed to open on impact. It does, but it is not designed to open and cause suffering. A hunting bullet like the Barnes TSX is designed to open. And ironically, it is far more humane than what most military uses.

I bought the SA Mil Spec 1911. I bought SA specifically because it does not have the firing pin block. I also have no problem with the Glock using the firing pin block, they don't have a hammer. And they do not discharge when in battery and dropped from height. I can very first person. This is why the military (US) calls firing someplace other than the range or a firefight "negligent discharge", not accidental discharge.

Where as the M16 series rifle will discharge when dropped. Not me, but I have seen it happen. Oops.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I sold my last Hi Point last week. Not that I ever had a problem with it. I just hadn't fired it in a long time and I needed the money. I doubt if I will ever buy another. Mostly becuse I am now more interested in owning revolvers and shotguns.

:) TBH I've never heard any serious complaints about their reliability (Which is, by far, the most important attribute in a firearm.)....But they are so clunky and ugly; it's funny.

:think: Can't beat the price though.

Dan Emanuel

The most punishing handgun I've ever shot was my wife's Beretta 950BS in .25 ACP. I can't hardly stand putting a box thru it but I could shoot my other guns all day, even my S&W 686 .357 magnum revolver.
Snub nosed .357 magnum revolver's are the worst to me.
Shooting mostly .40s, 9mm seems fairly tame in medium to large frame guns to me.
Their fun. :)
Never shot a 9mm 1911. If you're thinking about the Kimber Solo 9mm, I would caution you to read the reviews on it by owners. There are some unhappy people with Kimber.
I've been thinking about the EMP from SA. I actually feel better about SA in general than Kimber, although Kimber does some real nice work, they're are more "horror stories" coming from them than from AO it seem's. Nobody expect's the AO to work maybe.... :chuckle:
If you're trying to stay away from striker-fired polymer pistols, you might look at Kahr. But there again, no external safety. You may have to double-check that's true by visiting their website. For me, there's no advantage for Kahr over the Glock.
Me either. They're are some polymer gun's with thumb and grip safety...come to think of it, its SA again, those XD's. Although...they've got grip safety but I'd have to check on thumb safety.
And my Glocks all have 4 safeties. Except for my Sig 1911, my Sigs are all DA/SA with decockers, no external safeties.
The latest issue of Gun Tests rates the Ruger LW Commander 1911 with very high marks. Might be worth a look, but unless you're a big guy, you probably won't be carrying it on you ankle.:carryon:
I'm not that big. :D I don't really want to carry on my ankle anyway, I just thought that tiny little Glock .45 is a neat pistol. For the smaller 1911 I'm thinking about a 3-inch more than a commander.

I am interested in deeper concealment in general --but not on the ankle. About to pull the trigger so to speak on a "Kangaroo Carry" holster. Any familiarity?

Daniel

Dan Emanuel

I can very first person. This is why the military (US) calls firing someplace other than the range or a firefight "negligent discharge", not accidental discharge.
If you drop you're 1911 off you're roof, and it discharge's, is that a negligent discharge? If you drop you're Glock, that doesn't happen. So why do you have 1 time its a negligent discharge, and another time they'res no discharge at all? Whats the difference? The firearm itself is the difference.

So if my 1911 drops and discharge's, thats not my negligent discharge unless another person who drop's there Glock and it doesn't discharge get's pinched for an ND themselves. Its only fair, since we both did the same thing, we dropped our pistol's off the roof, mine went off, and there's didn't, and the difference was mines a 1911 and there's is a Glock.

And furthermore, I'm not going to come into work in a sling or get my palm/hand stitched up because I accidentally pulled the trigger of my 1911 in battery, because I had the thumb safety engaged and I wasn't grasping the grip safety, so the trigger is useless. Meanwhile a million-to-1 shot happen's with you're Glock and you have a negligent discharge. But you had a negligent discharge because the Glock is more prone to accident's than the 1911, not because you sinned and I didn't, unless you want to argue that deciding on the 1911 is correct and deciding on the Glock is sin. Neither of these handgun's is an unreasonable or irresponsible choice, that must be obvious to everybody except nobodies saying it. If you want to lock in on a standard for civilian's though, you've got to give the 1911 the nod because its more concussion-proof. And thats a very mild way of saying that civilian's don't know anything about firearm's --they are more likely to be concussed just as a matter of course.

The 1911, when dropped off you're roof, is more likely to discharge then the Glock. So when you drop you're 1911, and it discharge's, what do you call it? To compare it with the Glock? When you accidentally pull the trigger while manipulating it in some way?

I understand and agree with the policy, in fact I understood it so well that I failed to notice that they're is a real difference between what could go wrong with a Glock and what could go wrong with a 1911. Yes, if you drop you're pistol off you're 2-story roof, yes, I hope its a Glock too. I'm not up on the roof a lot, and even when I am I really can't see how I'm any more likely to drop my handgun than normally, which is near perfection, million-to-1 error rate (1 fumble and 1 drop my whole life --the drop was from my poorly retained holster while playing a sport, and the fumble was just after suffering a concussion). But, it is true, the Glock is better when dropped from height because of the firing pin block. So by that particular measure, Glock win's hand's down.

The thing's that can happen to me, include concussion. Its just a part of my life, unless I want to wear a helmet everywhere all the time (I'm too tall and I hit my head --sometime's very hard), which I don't. Instead, I want to be comfortable with a tool that I can not be in mortal danger, in the likely scenario that at some point I'll find myself concussed and armed.
Where as the M16 series rifle will discharge when dropped. Not me, but I have seen it happen. Oops.
The M16s a good rifle. The M4 is too little barrel, not lethal enough. Its actually more dangerous for our warrior's than the M16 is, for obvious reason's. But whenever this issue come's up I have to bear my heart and soul and talk about that modified M14 with the shortened barrel? Way more lethal especially at distance. SOCOM.

The Stoner is a pleasure to shoot, but it doesn't feel as "organic" as an M14 or M1. Even with a 20-round mag hanging off the bottom it still fit's like a glove, and while recoil actually exist's (as compared with the Stoner), its pleasant. The 7.62 N.A.T.O. chambering's anyway.

So my old fogey is out they're in force now. I prefer .30 cal to .22 cal (Stoner), and 1911 to Glock.

:D

Daniel

Last edited:
Snub nosed .357 magnum revolver's are the worst to me.
I like guns with a kick. I'd have a S&W 629 if I could afford it.
Their fun. :)
I keep a 9 mm in my car because the SPL of a 9 mm in the confined space of a car gives me at least some chance of hanging onto my hearing after the event. In the house, my defensive gun caliber would have to start with a 4.
I've been thinking about the EMP from SA. I actually feel better about SA in general than Kimber, although Kimber does some real nice work, they're are more "horror stories" coming from them than from AO it seem's. Nobody expect's the AO to work maybe.... :chuckle:
Springfield Armory is a good company. Their XDs are made in Croatia, at least they were. Their 1911s may still be made in Brazil. Generally speaking, they make fine weapons, I know people who have them and love them. I would have bought another S/A 1911 if I hadn't seen the Colt, and then later, the Sig.
They're are some polymer gun's with thumb and grip safety...come to think of it, its SA again, those XD's. Although...they've got grip safety but I'd have to check on thumb safety.
I do not believe XDs have a thumb safety. If you really want a thumb safety on a polymer gun, you'll probably need to take a loan out on an HK. In the end, you'll get your thumb safety but the gun won't be anymore accurate than a Glock or a S/A XD. Sig has gotten into polymer guns too but I'm not familiar with their product line at this time.
I'm not that big. :D I don't really want to carry on my ankle anyway, I just thought that tiny little Glock .45 is a neat pistol. For the smaller 1911 I'm thinking about a 3-inch more than a Commander.
The EMP maybe a great little gun in 9 mm. I just don't have any experience with it.
I am interested in deeper concealment in general --but not on the ankle. About to pull the trigger so to speak on a "Kangaroo Carry" holster. Any familiarity?

Daniel
None.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you drop you're 1911 off you're roof, and it discharge's, is that a negligent discharge?

It is negligent to drop a firearm. It is negligent to get behind the wheel of a car when you are drunk. There are many things that are negligent. Maybe you don't know what the word means.

A 1911 has not discharged with the thumb safety engaged in any known tests. Perhaps an internet warrior can find one or make one up.

Whats the difference? The firearm itself is the difference.

N/A

And furthermore, I'm not going to come into work in a sling or get my palm/hand stitched up because I accidentally pulled the trigger of my 1911 in battery, because I had the thumb safety engaged and I wasn't grasping the grip safety, so the trigger is useless.

What?

Neither of these handgun's is an unreasonable or irresponsible choice,

That was my point.

The theory was that if dropped on the muzzle (good luck) from a height, a 1911 will discharge from the inertia hit of the firing pin on the round. Obviously, this hasn't actually happened and proven.

The M16s a good rifle. The M4 is too little barrel, not lethal enough. Its actually more dangerous for our warrior's than the M16 is, for obvious reason's. But whenever this issue come's up I have to bear my heart and soul and talk about that modified M14 with the shortened barrel? Way more lethal especially at distance. SOCOM.

Actually, SOCOM just got a bigger bullet for the M4.