GUNS!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is a review of my preferred cap and ball revolver, the 1858 Remington.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/07/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-1858-remington/

but I also have an 1851 Colt clone.
images

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It seems like I watched the Hickok45 video on the 1858 Remmy. What an upgrade over the muzzle loader.

If you have buddies who are so inclind going to the range with cap and ball guns is a very social thing. A lot more time spent reloading and shooting the breeze.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I am waiting for the illegal 1986 firearms act to be overturned like Heller and DC. It doesn't happen over night, but it is coming. SBR and select fire both as well as the $200 stamp (outrageous money when passed). That is a bit like the phony voting taxes. Then I will have an A1 with a 12" barrel and stick magazines. The prices will come down quick as they go back into production.

:D I want one 'a these here thing-a-ma-bobs:

AA-12

Stoke that bad-boy with 20 or so loads of #4 Buck and we're good to go.....Home deee-fense dee-luxxx. :p

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The mini-grenade rounds seem to be the very rendering of the word overkill. Nice piece though. That is an al-qaeda hunting special. Enter the room, sweep and clear.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The mini-grenade rounds seem to be the very rendering of the word overkill. Nice piece though. That is an al-qaeda hunting special. Enter the room, sweep and clear.

Yeah...I would imagine there are a few loads which would be undesirable for my stated application. :chuckle:...But it would certainly clear a room.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I got 13/17 using their answer key. So I really got 16/17, but hey, I am not a LEO and I have no idea what NYC issues.

1. Glock is neither single nor double action, only a revolver can be one.
2. Iraq has more firearms per capita. One AK in every house. Not even Texas can top it.
3. The Hague conventions nor the Geneve conventions do not prohibit the use of "hollow points" Chris Kyle who started their quiz was issued it by the US Army. The bullet is not allowed to cause undue suffering. That is the restriction.

Dan Emanuel

I got 13/17 using their answer key. So I really got 16/17, but hey, I am not a LEO and I have no idea what NYC issues.

1. Glock is neither single nor double action, only a revolver can be one.
2. Iraq has more firearms per capita. One AK in every house. Not even Texas can top it.
3. The Hague conventions nor the Geneve conventions do not prohibit the use of "hollow points" Chris Kyle who started their quiz was issued it by the US Army. The bullet is not allowed to cause undue suffering. That is the restriction.
As soon as it asked me, "What does the SS use?" I was out of there. Thats not a fun quiz, their just fishing.

1. I thought Glocks were both. SA drops the cocked hammer only (like after a discharge or a slide-racking); trigger only does this 1 thing. DA cocks and then drops hammer. Glock hammer is internal...or maybe it doesn't exist? If it doesn't have a hammer (it would have to be internal since its definitely not external) then that would definitely make you right that its neither SA or DA. I think.
SA revolvers are like the old Colt Army, in order to fire all rounds in rapid succession, you have to have you're non-shooting hand working the hammer after every discharge.a But. The 1911 is SA only. The trick is that the slide cocks the hammer after discharge,b so, after reloading from slide-open, or after racking the slide, or after discharge,c you can pull trigger to go boom,d even though its not double-action. You're first shot re-cocks hammer and until your empty, just pull trigger and no worries.
2. We've got approaching 1 firearm per capita, and that data was from before President Obama was elected, so we're probably sitting on over 3 hundred million civilian owned (and perfectly legal, thank you framers for the 2A --high five!) guns right now.
Which just means Red Dawn ain't happenin.'e

Daniel
a --For those unfamiliar (e.g. not Nick M!) with this deadly, yet neither inherently evil or good, or inherently good nor evil; tool (and every other combination), the hammer, can at any time in closed position be manually, or in this case digitally (thumb) "cocked," which means you pull the hammer against a strong spring force gradually until it clicks in place, like a ratchet with only one "click" rather than an infinite number of them. This hammer in this model handgun, as Nick M knows, is supported there by no fewer than 3, and exactly three, systems of safety, each of them applying equally reliable --1 hundred percent reliability, each of them --support against falling on the firing pin, which inexorably fires the gun, which inexorably punts a bullet out the muzzle at maximally subsonic velocity, which leaden (dense!), heavy (massive!) spinning (projectile is spinning because of so-called "rifling" grooves inside the barrel of this firearm, spinning it against them until it took on they're implied (to look at it and them [hidden meanings, subtext...these mean nothing more than appearance; e.g., nothing, and all that that implies]; e.g., there acting, there actors --who cares how they act?), will, and there actual, physical will, the rifling actually assaults the bullet; it forces it to spin, perpendicular to the direction its traveling in, like a drill, or a spin of the big wheel at the carnival or big county fair), big (just to emphasize, as Nick M is well aware, this model firearm shoots the largest bullet in very high production today, and is heavier than every high production (and above) rifle round (i.e., Nado, WP), except the 50 Bmg --and thats Brownings round! Too! (What we;re talking about here is the discussion between Glock and JWB. Glock is Europe, European, and JWB is open-source. We're discussing which we should settle upon, as a global policy, because we really believe that we have to settle this, we need to make the pronouncement that one is superior to the other, even though, we all understand that, were it true, that either open-source or EU should be declared the winner, and the loser has to by law switch to the other EmOh, the winner would insist that the contest continue, because the only actual contest is that the loser in reality has not accepted that they have lost, in reality, but pretend that they still have a chance of winning.
bSee note a.
cNote a.
dThe 3 indepent systems of safety are the trigger itself, number 1. Number 2, in my mind, is the thumb safety because it is a "long-term storage" type of safety. You "set it and forget it." You get an ambi and you check it every available moment. Its relaxing. Your in control.
And number 3 is the grip safety, which I'm seeing on some other models; neither of these safety features are unusual, every tenth handgun has 1 of them, easily every 10th. Mainly because this is such a popular pattern, open-source. As patterns go, its yet to have been seriously contested, let alone bested. They'res nothing wrong with the Beretta or the Glock; there fine. But the model in question, was the best, against the Luger, which is another fine gun, but again, this model, open-source 1911 by John Moses Browning, was not seriously tested by the Luger. The original has not been defeated, thats, the basic argument here. When did this model get upseated? At what point, did the way they do it, ever get officially, in any way, proclaimed as better than the original? He originated the species. Everything else is a variation on Browning's --and, undisputedly, only, Browning's --theme.
eOther things happen too. Thats granted. Because its neither good or evil, we don't demonize this deadly tool. We acknowledge it's import. Its dead-ly. Death comes from it. That doesn't make it any more evil than cars and farm combines, and pencils for that matter (OB). So because we have acknowledged, and protect by law, that none of us has to be a special or important or even uniformed person to possess and have, at any time (with, as with the freedoms of speech and meeting together and conducting commerce and practicing religion (i.e., human sacrifice (i.e., Vikings :()), reasonable, regulation. The better we behave, the better the reasonable regulation works. And the 1911 model regulates the hammer with 3 identically, perfectly reliable systems of safety. If the trigger is not pulled, no matter what else happens, this gun will not discharge. If the thumb safety is engaged, no matter what else happens, this gun will not discharge. And if the grip safety (this safety is like a "dead mans switch;" if your dead, you can't disengage it. E.g. by accident. You have to grip it, to disengage it. You have to squeeze the handle of the gun, to disengage this system of safety) is not disengaged no matter what else happens, this gun will not discharge. 3 The chances of it accidentally discharging is practically nil because the chances of people accidentally discharging it is much much more likely. When someone (who is educated about using and handling it) fires this tool, it is deliberate (unless there is brain injury, which is like when people operating cars or farm combines, experience a heart infarction or brain hemmorhage)) handguns built according to this greatest of handgun patterns (open-source is the greatest pattern, for machines; that's Europe's pattern, but the American pattern does not force open-source, so the American version lures people to earn profit, essentially perfecting further the already perfect. The new perfect is just modern perfection, and future perfection will replace it as past perfection has been replaced.
Most of us have brain injury. You might think, Europe makes more sense if we have brain injury. But Europe simply has not surpassed the US. The US originated the species, and everything else has been a variation on our theme. Open-source, 1911, more conservative, and more liberal. Be-cause we're so conservative. The only thing in dispute, is they're admitting that they're versions are inferior. We, being right, need not, and should not, concern ourselves with trying to force, influence, or otherwise pressure them to admit they're stati as also-rans.), there are murders that otherwise wouldn't have happened. But we are the originals. A world where we don't have the right, and the right protected, to own and have a 1911, which is perfection itself, is not perfect, deliberately.
The originals. The copies/variations are all inferior. They're hasn't been a better version, they're's no Version 2. The handgun design competition has been over for a long time. Browning won, hands, down. USA. Open-source. 2A. How do we make open-source the standard? By forcing it, upon other's? Thats...not open-source.​

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
1. I thought Glocks were both. SA drops the cocked hammer only (like after a discharge or a slide-racking); trigger only does this 1 thing. DA cocks and then drops hammer. Glock hammer is internal...or maybe it doesn't exist? If it doesn't have a hammer (it would have to be internal since its definitely not external) then that would definitely make you right that its neither SA or DA.

:plain: Glocks and like designs are "striker fired". They eliminate the hammer and store their energy in a spring wrapped around a "firing pin" of sorts. They are neither SA or DA.

See link:

How Guns Work: Striker Fired Pistols.

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
So it is an interpritation of that rule that restricts hollow points? An interpritation by the UN?

:) Actually, It goes back a bit farther:

Wikipedia said:
The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention and the United Nations.[citation needed]

....And IMHO I think that works best for free-fire warfare. :plain: For civilian use, however, other concerns come into play:

Wikipedia said:
Despite the ban on military use, hollow-point bullets are one of the most common types of bullets used by civilians and police,[4] which is due largely to the reduced risk of bystanders being hit by over-penetrating or ricocheted bullets, and the increased speed of incapacitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet

:rolleyes: BTW...Before anyone says anything. No, I don't consider "Wikipedia" to be an authoritative source; but this stuff is pretty common knowledge.

Dan Emanuel

:plain: Glocks and like designs are "striker fired". They eliminate the hammer and store their energy in a spring wrapped around a "firing pin" of sorts. They are neither SA or DA.

See link:

How Guns Work: Striker Fired Pistols.
Can you explain the safety system in place that renders the Glock also a very safe pistol? There are 3 sytems of safety in place in the 1911 pattern, how many in the Glock? What is the "trigger safety?" Is there a "firing pin" safety?

I ask from honest inquiry, not bias; I know that the Glock is safe. :)

Daniel

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Can you explain the safety system in place that renders the Glock also a very safe pistol? There are 3 sytems of safety in place in the 1911 pattern, how many in the Glock? What is the "trigger safety?" Is there a "firing pin" safety?

I ask from honest inquiry, not bias; I know that the Glock is safe. :)

Daniel

:think: Well, there is the little lever on the trigger which keeps the trigger locked into place unless depressed. There are also two blocks against the striker moving forward to strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled.
The concept revolves around the fact that the gun cannot fire unless the trigger is depressed. You finger is the safety in that it shouldn't be on the trigger unless ready to fire...A philosophy which I am somewhat sympathetic to.

That having been said I prefer DA revolvers and DA/SA autos. I'm kind of old school. :plain:

Dan Emanuel

:think: Well, there is the little lever on the trigger which keeps the trigger locked into place unless depressed. There are also two blocks against the striker moving forward to strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled.
The concept revolves around the fact that the gun cannot fire unless the trigger is depressed. You finger is the safety in that it shouldn't be on the trigger unless ready to fire...A philosophy which I am somewhat sympathetic to.
As am I. My preference for the 1911 comes from the fact that the trigger can be squeezed accidentally. Things get into you're holster sometimes and when your holstering your really just shoving the firearm into a hole; if theirs something hanging up it could push against the trigger.

I have never heard of this happening however, so perhaps its just excessive caution on my part. :noid:
That having been said I prefer DA revolvers and DA/SA autos. I'm kind of old school. :plain:
And a tip of the hat to you. :e4e:

Daniel

Last edited: