GUNS!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It is made in the US and is milled instead of stamped. So, higher quality. But then, the AK was supposed to be loose, that is part of the durability.

:think: Ah, Yeah...I know what you mean. A milled AK will always be a little nicer (albeit heavier) to handle and will have more inherent accuracy IMHO. It's not as much a question of if a good milled AK receiver is better (it is) it's a matter of if the extra expense of manufacture/purchase is worth it.

The AK in all it's forms excels as a close to mid-range slug-fest gun. Is the extra range of relatively accurate fire worth the extra weight/money?

If range is an issue I would just get an AR...Or at least something which fires a round other than 7.62X39. :chuckle:

lovemeorhateme

Are you working on your quick draw yet?

I'm guessing that's drawing a handgun? Though I could be wrong, I don't know gun terminology that well! Unfortunately not as all handguns are banned in the UK. Guns are strictly controlled, it just happens that my boss has a gun licence so when I was staying on his farm in Wales last month he offered to let me have a go at shooting, and I just thought it would be really cool to try! :)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I'm guessing that's drawing a handgun? Though I could be wrong, I don't know gun terminology that well! Unfortunately not as all handguns are banned in the UK. Guns are strictly controlled, it just happens that my boss has a gun licence so when I was staying on his farm in Wales last month he offered to let me have a go at shooting, and I just thought it would be really cool to try! :)

Yeah...That's handguns. :) People have "Cowboy Action Shooting" tournaments here in the States (Those are alot of fun too).

:up: Shooting in all it's forms is a really fun, and family friendly activity (Although it keeps getting more and more expensive.) as long as you follow all the safety rules. Like allot of other machines; being negligent can cost you or someone else their lives.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If range is an issue I would just get an AR...Or at least something which fires a round other than 7.62X39. :chuckle:

I find I repeat myself at the range with people and the 300 BLKOUT. It is something I just wouldn't do. An AK can still work just fine out to 250 meters if you can hit it. But the 300 is very similar ballistically to the 45 ACP.

Pete, quick draw was developed because a person's life depended on it.

lovemeorhateme

Yeah...That's handguns. :) People have "Cowboy Action Shooting" tournaments here in the States (Those are alot of fun too).

:up: Shooting in all it's forms is a really fun, and family friendly activity (Although it keeps getting more and more expensive.) as long as you follow all the safety rules. Like allot of other machines; being negligent can cost you or someone else their lives.

That sounds fun! If I ever get the opportunity to visit the USA, and I hope one day I do then I'd love to go shooting if I can. :)

Of course, as long as one is careful and follows the safety rules then I'm sure it's a fun and safe hobby.

lovemeorhateme

I find I repeat myself at the range with people and the 300 BLKOUT. It is something I just wouldn't do. An AK can still work just fine out to 250 meters if you can hit it. But the 300 is very similar ballistically to the 45 ACP.

Pete, quick draw was developed because a person's life depended on it.

I understand. Whoever can draw and shoot first is the one who survives, right? Coming from a country with no real gun culture where even the majority of police officers are unarmed, it's difficult to comprehend needing a gun to defend yourself.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not quite all. You can still shoot cap and ball revolvers similar to the one in my avatar, but it has to be an original not a reproduction.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

I'm in total agreement .300BLKOUT is definitely a specialized round, ...And not something I'd look at for precision shooting. :)

:think: Oh yeah, a 7.62X39 is way deadly at 250+M...but like you said; hitting is another story. I think that the 5.45X39 was an improvement over the original but as I pointed out before that's not my particular concern. My eyes aren't good enough and I'm just a moderately skilled schlep...IF it becomes necessary to use my AK (societal collapse for whatever reason) I intend to evade, not engage, anything farther than 100 yards out if possible.

....And, IMHO, inside of 100 yards there is no better tool than a good sturdy Russian Hatchet (or Yugoslavian in my case :chuckle:).

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
That sounds fun! If I ever get the opportunity to visit the USA, and I hope one day I do then I'd love to go shooting if I can. :)

:plain: Plenty of people come to the U.S each year and do just that. If you don't know anybody and are coming to Central Florida for whatever reason let me know and I'll hook you up with some range time.

We actually even have a place here now where you can rent full-auto weapons (machine/sub-machine guns) I haven't tried it yet but from what I understand it's pretty cool. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm in total agreement .300BLKOUT is definitely a specialized round, ...And not something I'd look at for precision shooting. :)

Have you seen what Savage Arms said about it?

300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

They have no interest in selling a firearm like the Thompson and it doesn't have the bigger bore, and it doesn't shoot straight like an AR is supposed to do.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am waiting for the illegal 1986 firearms act to be overturned like Heller and DC. It doesn't happen over night, but it is coming. SBR and select fire both as well as the $200 stamp (outrageous money when passed). That is a bit like the phony voting taxes. Then I will have an A1 with a 12" barrel and stick magazines. The prices will come down quick as they go back into production.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't realise that. That's interesting to know. I'm guessing that cap and ball revolvers are old guns?

Yes indeed. They are handguns that predate cartridge ammunition.
qS6Sw0f00TE
I thought they had to be original black powder guns but I did some checking and it turns out there are companies that convert modern handguns to cap and ball, for target shooting in the UK.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/02/10/muzzle-loading-revolver-conversions-in-the-uk/