GUNS!

Pierac

Built a fun 22lr gun for Steel Challenge too... It weighs over 3 lbs and shoots like a dream! No recoil and can hit a fly at 25yrds!

View attachment 19918

I still have yet to install the Volquartsen accurizing trigger kit I have... So many Guns... so little time... :cool:

;)
Paul

Pierac

This is my work horse gun...

You have no idea how sweet this setup is for a old guy like me... That RTS2 red dot along with a 2lb trigger pull is a dream come true! As age no longer matters when shooting competitions with this gun

;)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thankfully no... 10 to 12 inch round plates with occasional 18x24 square plates... However in some shoot offs they can get as small as the plam of your hand.

You can see the non shoot off setup here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N8TyZ7yhRc
5N8TyZ7yhRc

You can Google your area for a local steel challenge match like the one in the video. Careful... you might get hooked!

Pretty neat putting the plates on tripods so you can set them up in ant configuration.

Pierac

Pretty neat putting the plates on tripods so you can set them up in ant configuration.

They keep the same configuration every time... You shoot 7 stations 5 times and they throw out your worst time. The 8th station you shoot 4 times and again they throw out your worst time, but on the 8th station you shoot 2 targets and then move to another box to shoot the other 3 targets. Station 8 suxs! The average shooter usually needs 5 magazines and about 500 rounds of ammo to run the course. As you improve you can get buy with 3 double stacked magazines and abut 250 to 300 rounds. But If you never miss... you only need 195 rounds! :cool: Of course your on a timer! No pressure at all! :doh:

The real fun is in the shoot offs... matches like this... I'm in this video but just for a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0XUgx1Ke_k

Oh yea... this guy along with 2 other world champion shooters were there too... :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDpeSBktprs

They took my lunch money! :rip:

Enjoy,
Paul

Last edited:

The Berean

:think: Define "good"....With the exception of a couple of them which I never heard of, all are decent quality pistols by well known manufacturers.....What are you looking for here? :idunno:

I meant "good" in terms of self defense (easy to use, reliable, etc.).

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame

They aren't revolvers, so, NO. They are not good.

:D

TomO's answer is good. Most of them were from known good brands. Depends on lots of things whether they are "good" for you.

My own experience has led me to 5-shot revolvers for concealed carry. I can throw the 340pd in my pants pocket, or the sp101 in a winter coat pocket. There are other guns that would be tactically better, but I wouldn't bother to carry them realistically. A gun, is better than no gun. Pick a gun that is effective, AND that you will actually bother to carry.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I meant "good" in terms of self defense (easy to use, reliable, etc.).

Shot placement. You don't need 45 ACP. The world was rid of thug Trayvon Martin by a 9mm placed exactly where it need to be placed. Sorry about the bit of political commentary in there, it was needed to show 9 getting it done.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
They aren't revolvers, so, NO. They are not good.

TomO's answer is good. Most of them were from known good brands. Depends on lots of things whether they are "good" for you.

My own experience has led me to 5-shot revolvers for concealed carry. I can throw the 340pd in my pants pocket, or the sp101 in a winter coat pocket. There are other guns that would be tactically better, but I wouldn't bother to carry them realistically. A gun, is better than no gun. Pick a gun that is effective, AND that you will actually bother to carry.

Exactly :)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Shot placement. You don't need 45 ACP. The world was rid of thug Trayvon Martin by a 9mm placed exactly where it need to be placed. Sorry about the bit of political commentary in there, it was needed to show 9 getting it done.

This too...Shot placement will always be king.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't remember if I posted this one or not. The HST is the evolution of the original Hydra-Shok. This 9mm is larger than normal at 147gn. Normal is 115 or 123. This expands to .664 and penetrates 13 inches. It gets the job done.

Very effective

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I don't remember if I posted this one or not. The HST is the evolution of the original Hydra-.Shok. This 9mm is larger than normal at 147gn. Normal is 115 or 123. This expands to .664 and penetrates 13 inches. It gets the job done.

Very effective

This is what I'm currently (Actually, have been for quite some time.) using....Not quite as good results but not too shabby from a 2" bbl.

SpeerGoldDotTests.jpg

53921-2.jpg

Dan Emanuel

Your either getting a wheelgun or a pistol. The wheelgun's are remarkably reliable and are low capacity and difficult to reload. The pistol's can FTF way more frequently. You have to insist upon reliability (=very low FTF%) with pistol's. 1911's that cost more than $500-600 and Glock's are reliable, and their everywhere. FTF rarely happen's to either, though you've got to get quality mag's for the 1911 because the lower quality mag's can cause FTF.

1911's are more difficult to conceal than most revolver's, especially those "pocket rocket's" with .357 chambering/snubby's. Invest in reloader's if you opt for a wheelgun. The worst thing is to get caught unarmed, but after that, its running out of ammo, and reloader's are way more efficient and less likely to result in dropped round's in high stress, over loose ammunition in you're pocket.

Pistol's primary advantage, once you've settled the reliability gap with a reliable model with reliable key part's (including mag's), is capacity. A 1911 in position 1 is seven round's at least (6+1 officers), and 8+1 is common, and all you have to do is hide another 8-rounder somewhere and you've got 17 round's to depend upon if ever SHTF (excuse me :eek:), with reloading a trivial matter compared to wheelgun reloader's/stripper's.

You're small revolver is five shot's. After that, you've got to reload. With adrenaline pumping. Scared. Tense. Racing mind, racing to think about what to do next, if its not to start pulling the trigger again right away. Yike's.

Versus: press the mag release (just drop the empty on the ground/floor!) and pound the next mag home. Your either still loaded (1 still in the chamber), or your open, so your either good to go immediately, or after releasing the slide.

They're are even 1911's with inward-facing slope's around the exterior of the mag well, to ensure that you get it in they're right. I'm not sure Glock has need of that, because there mag's are themselve's designed to find the mag well easily. I'm not sure about the Glock single-stack's though.

Of course Glock's win out over 1911's in capacity, with 17 (+1?) being the new capacity standard for a sidearm. I haven't heard good thing's about double-stack 1911's, so its a fundamental design edge over the 1911, to be wielding a Glock instead of a 1911.

:idunno:

DJ

Pierac

Try before you buy... The best pocket pistols for self-defense... is the pistol you can actually shoot... and it well may be a 22lr Rimfire! Hitting on target with a 22lr is way better than missing off target with a 45ACP! So go to your local gun range and spend the time (yep... & money) to try out the different guns and models they rent. Buying a gun you can't shoot... is way more expensive than trying one you can!

:AoO:
Paul